• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Come on matt, throw a monster in their way or something, shit. It's been like a month since there has been an initiative roll.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
They're barely going to make it to Zedash this episode. Looks like they're gonna get a fight after a break.

Edit: Glad to be proven wrong

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I wonder if Travis has feelings about expensive wine in real life? lol
They stop by Allfield and just hang out with Bryce the whole session.
"what were we doing again?"

"99% of the monks you knew were slaughtered by the woman you had a crush on, and she's summoning another evil demigod"

"right, right... I think we should check in on that sketchy carnival ringleader in Trostenwald. I don't trust him"
Well, the ideas were floated for a second.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
matt being run ragged with 100 questions here

edit: the idea that these guys are just gathering all the best betrayer gods' champions and not devoted to a specific deity is gathering way more steam.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Why did they even bring the horses when they found out there isn't a teleportation circle to Draconia/southern Xorhas?

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
liam is losing it lmfao

Beau: *made expositor*
Also Beau: *gets banned from every reserve she steps in*

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You know. It's probably not a good idea for them to be drawing a teleportation circle to fucking Rosana in the center of town. The last thing they need is the Empire just bamphing in and slaying the entire leadership.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
You know. It's probably not a good idea for them to be drawing a teleportation circle to fucking Rosana in the center of town. The last thing they need is the Empire just bamphing in and slaying the entire leadership.
You can't learn a symbol from someone who teleported away. Otherwise, no one would ever let anyone use a teleportation circle.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I have been playing some form of Pen and Paper RPGs for like 15 years...and I can't fathom how any of them thought any of that was a good idea...Like, I can just barely get the first screw up (though they had no reason to freak out like they did)...but repeating literally every single mistake the second time around was just dumb.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
At this point Beau should have been stripped of her rank after that bullshit. If her authority didn't grant her acesss to the circles, deceiving the various archives with their antics should have earn her punishment of some sort.

And all that and they could have just left town and teleport safely back. This felt like they had no plan and simply just accomplish nothing.

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That was awesome and hilarious. Yeah it was dumb but if they get back into the good graces of the soul they have 2 more teleportation circles, plus they weren't banned from Zadash so they aren't 2 weeks away anymore.

Still though, unless I'm forgetting one, the last time the party rolled initiative was episode 75 on August 15. This is too long to go without combat. Matt should have had those goblins attack them directly.

they'll forget all this lore in the two week break, don't worry

There's an episode next week.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think what was especially annoying and frustrating was that Matt set up this urgency to beat the Laughing Hand & Co. to the other relic body part before literally the End Times come upon the world, and they seriously thought it was more important to go get teleportation circles in other cities that they won't actually be able to use. They spent at least half an hour of these short episodes fucking around. And then they didn't actually teleport anywhere. I get that they want to have fun but that was a mess.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think what was especially annoying and frustrating was that Matt set up this urgency to beat the Laughing Hand & Co. to the other relic body part before literally the End Times come upon the world, and they seriously thought it was more important to go get teleportation circles in other cities that they won't actually be able to use. They spent at least half an hour of these short episodes fucking around. And then they didn't actually teleport anywhere. I get that they want to have fun but that was a mess.
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely hilarious and I was dying of laughter. But once that was over this is like the first time I actually found myself sighing. None of this was nessesary. They didn't need to bring the horses, or the entire party. Getting the circles was a good idea, but it should have literally just been Beau and Caleb.

There was no need for Jester to cast a spell and get shot immediately, and there was no need for her to repeat the exact same thing 5 minutes later. There was no need to try and break open the doors, nor picklock them, they were allowed to be there. There was no need to get banned from the libraries. It should have just been Beau and Caleb showing up, stating their purpose, waiting for the verification calmly, then waving goodbye and going for the next circle.

Instead, we got them being banned from basically every library on the continent minus Zedash. All for something that was because the table got into a rythum and got out of hand.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
That was awesome and hilarious. Yeah it was dumb but if they get back into the good graces of the soul they have 2 more teleportation circles, plus they weren't banned from Zadash so they aren't 2 weeks away anymore.

Still though, unless I'm forgetting one, the last time the party rolled initiative was episode 75 on August 15. This is too long to go without combat. Matt should have had those goblins attack them directly.

There's an episode next week.

Oh, I thought they were skipping an episode? Did I mishear or is it later down the road?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This episode had a lot of really funny moments, but it kind of annoyed me by the end. I'm pretty sure it is just because I've been waiting a month now to see what Fjord's new sword does, and over a year to see Jester and the Gentleman have a face to face interaction. Research episodes have a bad habit of killing some of my enthusiasm. Not because Matt's lore isn't interesting, but because it is delivered in the really exposition heavy way. The rest of the cast has to just sit and wait while Matt gives a lore summary. There is limited interaction, and often goes on for a long stretch.

At the same time I absolutely understand that two members of the party are heavily research focused, and Matt should not punish that behavior. I just wish there was a slightly more interesting way to deliver the information.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why did they even bring the horses when they found out there isn't a teleportation circle to Draconia/southern Xorhas?

I think this was a misunderstanding on Matt's part. If im remembering right They seemingly asked if they could theoretically bring their horses, and when they decided to travel to another library to get that circle Matt just described them walking through the library on their horses without any of them saying "we go get out horses"

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're spending all this time trying to get teleportation runes, but has Matt said he changed the rules of the spell? They don't need a circle to teleport, they just need an item given to them by someone from the area to make the spell100% successful. Or, just trust their die, the chances of something bad happening when teleporting to a city theyve been to before is only 5%

edit: nevermind, just remembered theyre level 11 and cant teleport yet. :/

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time Fjord has used his powers in combat was episode 69 against Obann and the Laughing Hand. That was June 27.

If they fight next week it will have been 3 full months since Travis will have felt like a useful member of the team in battle.

They're spending all this time trying to get teleportation runes, but has Matt said he changed the rules of the spell? They don't need a circle to teleport, they just need an item given to them by someone from the area to make the spell100% successful. Or, just trust their die, the chances of something bad happening when teleporting to a city theyve been to before is only 5%

edit: nevermind, just remembered theyre level 11 and cant teleport yet. :/

Level 10 actually, but yeah

Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The players already seem pretty lost on what to do, and then they had a whole episode of lore and exposition dropped on them.

They should be rushing to stop Oban, but instead are causing a ruckus in yet another great library system they had access to. Poor Caleb.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The players already seem pretty lost on what to do, and then they had a whole episode of lore and exposition dropped on them.

They should be rushing to stop Oban, but instead are causing a ruckus in yet another great library system they had access to. Poor Caleb.

I wonder if by knowing when Ashley will be back, they are treading water intentionally so they don't have to deal with Oban until around when she is back and have her involved in her freedom. They have enough to go on in picking up the threads to where it's hard to believe that they are still lost.

I don't get why they keep falling back on being the worst type of people after all the supposed development and talks of being better.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Not a great episode.

I do think they're confused on what to do. Feel like the time between travel from X and Y is concerning them ... seemed like a "oh shit, this takes 2 weeks?" momet was had. They're juggling a lot of shit, traveler Con is right around the corner (I think it's now like 4-5 weeks away?), they're prob afraid to face the Laughing Hand without a solid plan on what to do about Yasha and it takes them forever to get around .... so clearly the fix is to bumble fuck their way into learning some free transportation between great distances and hope people chill out about it after they do something good I guess.

Feels like they've been just treading water since the guest left.

I wonder if by knowing when Ashley will be back, they are treading water intentionally so they don't have to deal with Oban until around when she is back and have her involved in her freedom. They have enough to go on in picking up the threads to where it's hard to believe that they are still lost.

I don't get why they keep falling back on being the worst type of people after all the supposed development and talks of being better.
Yeah, this was my "RL effecting game logic" take on it to.

It feels like Matt's lining everything up to go a certain way and they're trying to hold off on the big conflict until Ashley can come back. Cause if they free her without Ashley around I'm guessing Matt would have to put her in a lame ass soap opera coma until Ashley can come back ... cause this is some deep dive character stuff that you can't just pass off to a different player.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Man, they all turn into a bunch of asshole teenagers way too easily. They seem like they have everything they need to know, the resources to do it, and yet they're just fucking around. I don't really get it unless it's something like:
I wonder if by knowing when Ashley will be back, they are treading water intentionally so they don't have to deal with Oban until around when she is back and have her involved in her freedom.
Because that's what it feels like.

I'm all for fun episodes, but between all the breaks and the treading water episodes, it's just getting kind of annoying. We're not getting combat, plot, or character progression. When Matt mentioned a content rescheduling announcement coming up soon at the beginning of the show, my first thought was that they're switching to a three weeks on, one week off, schedule permanently. Maybe not, but there's a weird energy behind the scenes lately that I can't quite put my finger on. It could just be scheduling around Ashley, though.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the Wondercon panel that was recorded around Episode 11, and there's a point where Matt is talking about reining in a party that was at a loss on where to go. The example he gave was the Conclave attack in C1.

I think the scry result was the "here's the stick stupid, follow the stick" moment, and they're just dragging their heels in not wanting to touch the Yasha stuff. Understandably, but you'd think they'd know Matt wouldn't wrap that up without Ashley there and give them enough to do on that path in the meanwhile.

Same issue with the Mistake Arc, where he put neon flashing lights on certain characters and the kids are just gone on their own little world of destruction.

I'm not as down on the show and how things are done as some, as it's more of my style as a player and DM, but I'm getting closer to that point with this leg of the journey and a somewhat regressive path after everything they've built up with their characters while in Xorhas. I really feel like Matt, if he hasn't already, needs to talk with them about their characters and reminding them that these regressive things can lead to consequences they can't come back from. Similar to how Matt had to pump the breaks with Ashley when she started getting sadistic with Pike early in C1.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I generally try to be positive about the show and keep perspective that it's a game that friends play that we just get to watch. But holy shit am I annoyed. Don't get me wrong, I was laughing during the hi-jinks at the end, but what the fuck were they doing. If they had just acted like normal people and explained what was going on instead of being idiots they could have avoided being banned.

And they spend weeks traveling to Zedash, spend hours in a library doing research, like an hour fucking around with teleportation circles and you're telling me they can't spare 20 minutes so Jester can go talk to her father? Like what the fuck.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If that was case, I feel like Matt simply wouldn't have Oban collect the pieces so quickly. Yasha and crew could be chilling in the Abyss, impossible to be scryed upon until Matt is ready for that story beat.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If that was case, I feel like Matt simply wouldn't have Oban collect the pieces so quickly. Yasha and crew could be chilling in the Abyss, impossible to be scryed upon until Matt is ready for that story beat.

I think it's a mix of Matt knowing when Ashley will be back and comfortable with the pace on his end, while having Oban make headway to encourage the players to pursue it.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the broader, less guided campaign is working quite as well.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think I would say they have dragged their heels at all, especially this episode where they disregarded a bunch of potential sidequests.

Hell most people were upset they didn't spend MORE time in Zadash.

If I had to criticize the pacing of this episode it would be Matt and not the party. They are level 10 now. That two week trip should have been:
  1. Three days to the gates of the Empire, who is keeping watch?
  2. How do you get through the gates?
  3. Ten days to Zadash, who is keeping watch?
  4. (if they roll high perception) You come across a goblin and ogre raid of a caravan in progress (giving at least a taste of some fairly laid back combat)
  5. You reach Zadash.

There's no need for this walk down memory lane with Trostenwald and Allfield every time they take this road, the party was actually trying to brush past these towns while Matt was encouraging them to stay in their old inns and look for Bryce.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Whether Ashley is back on time or not, them sprinting around the world getting into hijinks in ancient tombs and stuff right on Oban and Yasha's heels could lead to a lot of exciting interesting sessions. Most of which could only be minutes or hours in in-game time, leaving time for Ashley to return. And if not, they could teleport away from the party if Ashley's still not ready. It seems like the party wants to sort of outsmart Matt's storyline rather than just play through it, while also not really playing smart.

I think you could look at a crit role recap and think "well they actually did stuff and traveled far", but it doesn't feel like there's a lot of urgency or focus to hit the plot beats that have been set up. They're a group of teens who got bored with the mini golf course and started crawling on the windmills and jumping in the ponds.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the broader, less guided campaign is working quite as well.
Laura was right to compare it to Skyrim. I know some people don't like when they feel the DM is railroading the players, but honestly this group could do with some rails. Their focus is pulled in a million different directions and they crack under the slightest pressure.

Also I'm really beginning to dislike these deep dives into the lore. I can't imagine what it's like as a player, but as a watcher my brain just shuts down and my eyes glaze over at a certain point. At a certain point it just becomes Matt saying proper nouns and I lose track of what's going on. It's information overload. I'm sure it's all broken down on the wiki, but I'm not gonna spend time digging through it.

[edit]: Also in all this time at no point have they come up with a plan to deal with Oban, Yasha, and the Laughing Hand. They're just chasing after them because they're on a clock, but they's spent 0 time trying to figure out what they'll do once they catch them.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Laura was right to compare it to Skyrim. I know some people don't like when they feel the DM is railroading the players, but honestly this group could do with some rails. Their focus is pulled in a million different directions and they crack under the slightest pressure.

Also I'm really beginning to dislike these deep dives into the lore. I can't imagine what it's like as a player, but as a watcher my brain just shuts down and my eyes glaze over at a certain point. At a certain point it just becomes Matt saying proper nouns and I lose track of what's going on. It's information overload. I'm sure it's all broken down on the wiki, but I'm not gonna spend time digging through it.

[edit]: Also in all this time at no point have they come up with a plan to deal with Oban, Yasha, and the Laughing Hand. They're just chasing after them because they're on a clock, but they's spent 0 time trying to figure out what they'll do once they catch them.
I normally don't do well with lore dumps but I was able to keep up with Matt's dump this week pretty well I think.
It was interesting.

And I'm really starting to think they just don't like taking weeks to travel which could be for any number of reasons. Like how they got to the Dragon, they did this whole complex teleportation set up that Matt didn't expect cause it was gonna take like a month ride to get there ... but it made sense at the time. Fjord was weak and Matt hit them with that strangely hard Worm attack out of nowhere. I figured they were just spooked cause of that ... but here they are, fully powered and still can't be bothered to travel by horse back so they try this teleportation circle fuckery again to inject more fast travel into this game.

I don't know really, I feel like maybe Matt should direct them more. Seems very much like they can't come to an agreement on a direction to go and some want to progress and others want to game the system with what's prob abuse of the teleportation spell annnnnd some how you get Travis having Fjord back his horse up to kick down a door for him instead of getting off and picking up a sleeping Not just to drop her for fun prob cause he's bored.