• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
OBJECTION! HOLD IT! LOL Sam.

Our group just recently started playing. The first handful of sessions were 100% imagination, but then we got grids a couple sessions ago. Right now we just use colored dice. There was talk about geting minis, but noone really wants to spend the money and paint them just yet.

One of our players did a really amazing papercraft baby dragon though. So we make do.

Yeah, our group does use grid paper, but usually we just use dice for markers. Minis seem really cool though, so maybe we'll all give it a try sometime.

Also wow, I didn't expect them to just find Halas in there. I'm really worried someone is going to wind up possessed.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also wow, I didn't expect them to just find Halas in there. I'm really worried someone is going to wind up possessed.
Same, I didn't expect them to just find Halas like this. And the fact that Caleb found necromantic magic is bad news. Also I like how Caleb is handling this by being absolutely terrified. When the magic user is freaking out and telling you not to touch something, you need to listen to them.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Same, I didn't expect them to just find Halas like this. And the fact that Caleb found necromantic magic is bad news. Also I like how Caleb is handling this by being absolutely terrified. When the magic user is freaking out and telling you not to touch something, you need to listen to them.

The M9? Listening to people? Being reasonable? Have we been watching the same show?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Seriously, Caleb's reaction feels appropriate. I just hope the group doesn't let Fjord touch it, or he's going to wind up a body puppet for Halas in one round.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Halas was using the power of the permaheart to "power" his clones, and the M9 destroying the heart caused his current body/clone to fail. And that's why he emergency-ported himself into the ruby and now wants one of the M9 to take over.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wonder if Halas was using the power of the permaheart to "power" his clones, and the M9 destroying the heart caused his current body/clone to fail. And that's why he emergency-ported himself into the ruby and now wants one of the M9 to take over.
Thats what I think happened, because on the previous episode (I think in the clone room, or in the study) Caleb found a book stating exactly that. I feel like they should put the gem in their Bag of Holding. Then they can have some room to work in the room.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it's a distance of 100feet then I wonder why he hasn't taken over any of them already though.
Maybe the creature has to be willing? Or maybe staring into the ord long enough. I mean, once Fjord and Jester did it eyes started coming out. Maybe that was the second phase... with the eyes maybe having some sort of wisdom saving throw to stun the person and/or reject the takeover.

Edit: I think they may be forced to talk to Halas.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really impressed with how well the group is dealing with this situation. Everyone is being really cautious.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Beau could probably fuck up the group harder than one magic user, she'd stunning strike most of their asses before they even knew what was happening.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, but that is assuming Halas would know how to do that. Just because Beau's body is capable of it, doesn't mean Halas could do it.
We have to remember that Halas is a Wizard. Compared to a Warlock where spells are loaned to the soul, and a Sorcerer where they come from within the persons own body, A wizards spells are learned. As a result you can make the case that they can still cast their spells as long as they have them prepared.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
We have to remember that Halas is a Wizard. Compared to a Warlock where spells are loaned to the soul, and a Sorcerer where they come from within the persons own body, A wizards spells are learned. As a result you can make the case that they can still cast their spells as long as they have them prepared.

I hadn't really thought of it that way. That makes him a lot more dangerous than I had thought.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
LOL. Quickest TPK ever.

I hadn't really thought of it that way. That makes him a lot more dangerous than I had thought.
Very dangerous indeed. Anybody can be a wizard. What makes spells complex to cast isn't the players number of levels in the wizard class (although that is the rules because its a game), nor does it have to do with how strong the character is. A character can use a spell scroll of a higher level. No, what makes spells complex is the knowledge known to cast them.

A good equivelent is Math. Everybody knows basic math. But if you look at the equations for something like Quantum Physics, it's going to look completely foreign and most of those people are going to be completely lost. Thats Magic. Lines, Symbols and Definitions which have meaning, but which you need to know how to read, parse and understand to be able to actually follow the instructions and pluck the correct strings in reality to be able to use it.

If you took the soul (with all its knowledge) and transfer it to someone else, they would be able to pick up right where they left off.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Given Beau has literally no spellcasting components on her don't wizard spells still require those too?

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Given Beau has literally no spellcasting components on her don't wizard spells still require those too?

Not all spells have component requirements, some are just Verbal or Semantic. He probably has a couple prepared that could be cast without them. Even weaker spells that don't require them can pack a punch when used at higher levels, like say Magic Missile. Also even then, Beau may have some on her unknowingly (like if she wears makeup for example)

But yeah, it would be the big hurle for a newly posessed Halas-Beau, at the very least it would stop him from using his spells that could kill the party several-times-over in a single turn.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This devil might be one of my favorite NPCs in a long time. I really want them to save him.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boo. I was hoping that Nott's soul would be taken somewhere and revivify would fail.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
That has to be the stupidest death of both campaigns and that includes Keyleth's goldfish dive.... Like WTF would you not check for traps.