• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I missed the last half of last week's show. :( Can someone give me a quick rundown of what happened? I have no idea what's going on.

edit: sorry I just saw Dream Machine's synopsis. I feel like I'm missing something but it sounds like this attack was a surprise end-of-episode thing. Thanks

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I missed the last half of last week's show. :( Can someone give me a quick rundown of what happened? I have no idea what's going on.

Yussa gave them a bunch of money, so they went on a shopping spree. A couple of them got magic tattoos that give permanent +1 to a stat. Then they went to visit Pumat Sol to buy some magic items. They got surprise attacked inside his establishment.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yussa gave them a bunch of money, so they went on a shopping spree. A couple of them got magic tattoos that give permanent +1 to a stat. Then they went to visit Pumat Sol to buy some magic items. They got surprise attacked inside his establishment.

Thanks, I had to peace out after the tattoos. Oh shit they're in Pumat's place? I wonder what they're going to do.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I kind of hate Counterspell, it feels like such a Get out of Jail Free card

To be fair with counter spell, it still takes up a spell slot you could have used for something else. And its not guarenteed to succeed in certain circumstances. Not to meniton, the DM doesn't even have to say what the spell you are counter spelling really is. So they can easily pull a Matt and goard the player into using it by making it seem super badass, when reality its just fairy fire.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair with counter spell, it still takes up a spell slot you could have used for something else. And its not guarenteed to succeed in certain circumstances. Not to meniton, the DM doesn't even have to say what the spell you are counter spelling reallly is. So they can easily pull a Matt and goard the player into using it by making it seem super badass, when reality its just fairy fire.

Yeah. Trading a 3rd level spell for a 1st level spell is totally in the assassins benefit

Jester just cast 2 non-cantrip spells, which I believe is not RAW? Feels like everyone is a bit off right now.

Grease was an action with a magical weapon.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Jester just cast 2 non-cantrip spells, which I believe is not RAW? Feels like everyone is a bit off right now.

I think the grease spell counts as just using an item. Kind of like how Fjord could use misty step with his sword and still use his action to cast a spell. I don't know if that's a homebrew rule or not though.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair with counter spell, it still takes up a spell slot you could have used for something else. And its not guarenteed to succeed in certain circumstances. Not to meniton, the DM doesn't even have to say what the spell you are counter spelling really is. So they can easily pull a Matt and goard the player into using it by making it seem super badass, when reality its just fairy fire.

Yeah I think it's more my reaction to all the counterspells that happened last campaign that really took the threat out of boss fights. They were clutch rolls of course, but it still felt a bit overpowered.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I thought if you're holding your action that IS your reaction? smh cheating

edit: AND SAM EVEN KNOWS IT IN THE SAME TURN

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the grease spell counts as just using an item. Kind of like how Fjord could use misty step with his sword and still use his action to cast a spell. I don't know if that's a homebrew rule or not though.

I guess it's open to interpretation. Generally, magic items still specify that you 'cast a spell' and the bonus action spell casting doesn't limit itself to spells cast using spell slots.
"You can't cast another spell during the same turn, expect for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

But I didn't realize she used a magic item to cast it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it because I'm just splitting hairs now.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
They have to find a way to keep this thing from retreating back into the ground. Holding all their actions is really hurting their damage output.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Could they have resisted the poison WHILE UNCONSCIOUS though? Or would that have been an auto two death fails? let's just call this a wash of rules between held actions and whatnot... lol.

I don't think you auto fail con saves for being unconscious. I think you fail Dex, but Con is less a conscious action and more your bodies natural defense to illness.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Hell Yeah. Fjord fused his fifth level spell. Banishing Smite seems really awesome, just bought them a lot of time to ambush her.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
what have i missed

looks like theyre still in combat?

Nothing much. A fair bit of rule confusion regarding held actions and reactions. Nott got taken out in one hit but didn't die. Fjord used Banishing Smite to take the enemy out of the fight for one minute. Everyone is using that time to buff up to try and take out their last 50 hp before they can react when she gets back.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
wow the star razor has fair fire as well. This thing has a lot of useful abilities. He has to pick and choose because of concentration, but that is a great spell to have. My Warlock uses it more then Hex in a lot of fights.