• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Not following the thread tonight cause I can't finish the show until tomorrow, but I took a look around instagram earlier and Blindspot wrapped filming a couple hours ago. Ashley is officially free.

Great news. Hope to see Ashley back after Thanksgiving then. I'm super excited to see Yasha get some good development, or whatever new character she comes up with if they go that direction.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was beautiful, lmao

Also I really want to see fanart of Jester in a recording studio and Caleb directing her now.

Oct 29, 2017
You cannot record someone's voice to pass as your own and not end with a skit like this. The comedy gods had deemed it so before he entered the place.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, things are coming to a head. They really need to tell Essik what is happening. Some general for the Dynasty must be working with Oban. This is all timed too perfectly for him.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this Kreen attack might just be a distraction that isn't actually real... maybe Oban just "convinced" some Crownsguard to sound the alert to draw everyone away from the Cobalt Soul/elsewhere so they can attack... the king? the soul? someone.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Matt is nerfing scrying spell. It says you can see normally as if you were there so she would have 0 issues seeing the nearby buildings in details.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this Kreen attack might just be a distraction that isn't actually real... maybe Oban just "convinced" some Crownsguard to sound the alert to draw everyone away from the Cobalt Soul/elsewhere so they can attack... the king? the soul? someone.

That would make a lot of sense. Oban can dominate someone to start a panic pretty easily. Everyone is on alert because of the attack on Hupperdook. They must be trying to get access to something important, maybe the alert is diverting guards from some vault or something.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
why isnt anyone else reacting to this

they just saw caleb turn back and griffons chase them

edit: ok they just dont care i guess lol

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Wow these guys were able to steal something from Vasselheim. That's got to be pretty hard to do. This is getting so big. Do we think the Thane and his family they were talking about is Oban? Next episode feels like it is going to be huge.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be our Chroma Conclave arc. We're finally there!

If we compare the stories by levels, this would be around the Vasselheim arc. Maybe around the very early start of the Briarwoods. If Matt is intent of having a level 1-20 story, theres a ways to go.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time in Campaign 2 that I've felt like we were heading to a classic "season finale" sort of moment. So many plots are coming to a head. Even if the M9 win here I doubt it will be the end of the Angel of Irons cult, but it definitely feels like win or lose the M9 are going to become very public figures after this battle.

I know I am setting myself up for disappointment, but part of me really hopes that they are going to get to the church and just find Ashley as a tenth level Fighter or Paladin ready to join them in their attack.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Matt is nerfing scrying spell. It says you can see normally as if you were there so she would have 0 issues seeing the nearby buildings in details.
Matt has always had it been a restricted observation to about 10 feet or so around the target creature since Campaign 1. He also forgets/restricts the location application of the spell.
In some ways it's an understandable nerf from a narrative perspective, and he keeps it that way across the board as well and not just handicapping the players with it.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Only got up to the break last night but man this episode was really good. The fight was hard to watch, but it was still fun and all the character moments were very engaging. Marisha is really selling Beau and that's so great after Keyleth.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god this episode was amazing (aside from that surprise round against The End, smh). What'd we get?

BeauxJester is canonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn fuck yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Jester finally has the talk with her Daddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
Astrid's letter (which is totally a fucking trap "Oh sorry to hear about my uncle" bullshit)
Pumat joing the M9 for combat
And what's looking to be a showdown between M9 and Obann's team

This was like the penultimate episode before a season finale. Holy shit it's popping off.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to process everything that happened last episode. We got Beau having a crush on Jester, the Gentleman's backstory and new dynamic with Jester, a cult under Pelor's church, Oban's full crew in town, and most importantly Uno apparently exists in this world and is probably destroying friendships every day.

Also we finally got to see what Fjord's fifth level spell is. That has been bugging me for a long time. I had guessed he would go with Cone of Cold, but Banishing Smite is pretty great too. If he can time it with Cad, that could be a real game changer in this coming fight. The smite is like 5d10, combined with the activated swords 1d8 plus 7, all doubled and counted as force damage. With even just a half decent damage roll he could probably straight up banish Yasha out of the fight with one hit.

Matt has frequently used lots of M9 vs 1 strong opponent fights lately. Now it seems like we are headed to a big group fight. This could be very intense. At least I have Undeadwood tonight to tide me over until next Thursday.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to process everything that happened last episode. We got Beau having a crush on Jester, the Gentleman's backstory and new dynamic with Jester, a cult under Pelor's church, Oban's full crew in town, and most importantly Uno apparently exists in this world and is probably destroying friendships every day.

Also we finally got to see what Fjord's fifth level spell is. That has been bugging me for a long time. I had guessed he would go with Cone of Cold, but Banishing Smite is pretty great too. If he can time it with Cad, that could be a real game changer in this coming fight. The smite is like 5d10, combined with the activated swords 1d8 plus 7, all doubled and counted as force damage. With even just a half decent damage roll he could probably straight up banish Yasha out of the fight with one hit.

Matt has frequently used lots of M9 vs 1 strong opponent fights lately. Now it seems like we are headed to a big group fight. This could be very intense. At least I have Undeadwood tonight to tide me over until next Thursday.

I don't think Travis will try it because he will assume they wont work together, but Jeremy Crawford has confirmed that Banishing Smite + Paladin Smite can be used on the same attack. Imagine 1d8+7 (whatever sword attack is) + 5d10 + 5d8 + hexblade curse damage combined with Cad's ability.

Next episode will go incredibly bad if Matt really forces a fight with 4-5 baddies simultaneously (Oban + Yasha + LH + IE + cleric/bishop). The party doesn't coordinate well / doesn't focus fire, people who do high damage each round will try something else/run/etc, Cad might have taken almost all healing spells so will be stuck mostly using cantrips + whatever concentration spell he has going, the party has been rolling really horrible lately especially Laura aside from the beginning of that one fight in the happy fun ball, etc..... I think Matt recognizes this and will hopefully do something like the 2nd battle against the Iron Sheperds where he separated them out. Hopefully, the Laughing Hand and Yasha will be guarding the entrance so the party can deal with them first, leaving Oban + Inevitable End + maybe that cleric as the final encounter. Oh and if that cleric is part of the fight, she will be casting hold person a bunch I bet....

Last edited:

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, Obann, Yasha, Laughing Hand, and The End are gonna be a formidable team. If they have to take on all four at once that's gonna be a fucking rough battle.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so morbidly curious as to how both cast and community would handle a legit TPK, or even just losing 2-4 members of the party.

It would feel kinda cheap if Matt pulled a Molly "well one down, let's move on" again.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I think at a certain point the group goes all or nothing. Like if two people die I could see the rest retreating. But if three people die I could see the rest of the group saying fuck it and just sticking it out to the end.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Arabella wants all the dynamite. This can only end well.

Edit: and now we can add nitro to their collection of explosives. Something is definitely going be blown into tiny pieces tonight.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Quick summary of first hour of Undeadwood? Thanks, missed it...

They burned the bodies of the zombies, and got a message from the person who raised them to meet them at the pit they first found in episode one. They loaded up on dynamite and supplies and headed over there. Miriam revealed that her husband died of the pox before she got to Deadwood and that he was a healer who believed that she had a gift. She also revealed that she was carrying two bottles of nitro.

At the pit they found the Doc standing over it, and he turned into a giant three headed snake monster. The reverend pulled out a gun no one knew he had, and they started fighting it. The nitro blew it up into a bunch of smaller snake people that they are now fighting.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
They burned the bodies of the zombies, and got a message from the person who raised them to meet them at the pit they first found in episode one. They loaded up on dynamite and supplies and headed over there. Miriam revealed that her husband died of the pox before she got to Deadwood and that he was a healer who believed that she had a gift. She also revealed that she was carrying two bottles of nitro.

At the pit they found the Doc standing over it, and he turned into a giant three headed snake monster. The reverend pulled out a gun no one knew he had, and they started fighting it. The nitro blew it up into a bunch of smaller snake people that they are now fighting.
Sounds good, I got on when he mentioned the doc breaking into 3 pieces so I wasnt sure what was going on lol.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Hey guys, back here with another update. Earlier today I finished C2's Episode 18 aka "The One With the Caleb Backstory Dump"

...man oh man, I didn't expect that at all.

Kudos to Liam (as usual) for the whole scene... I've found his portrayal of Caleb throughout the campaign fascinating, a frustratingly reclusive, long-winded man who is equally driven to seek real and genuine emotional connections as he's afraid of actually making them. Apart from Nott and Frumpkin, of course, he basically longs for feeling part of a group and yet is utterly terrified by that prospect and would rather cut whatever losses and just run away with Nott. I think 18's backstory scene essentially gives us a window into why. And it's a chilling tale.

Then I went back and rewatched Trent Ikithon's introduction and focused on Liam's face as soon as Matt said the name. He sold that PTSD face like a mofo and nobody on the table really noticed! Damn.

Anyway, the episode (and the previous ones) were about much more than that - I'm quite liking how much more... political intrigue-ish C2 feels so far. I'm a sucker for fake-history and lore dumps with fantasy names and stuff (and I know a lot of people hate that) so I didn't mind Matt going full lore-dump at the end with explaining what the fuck is the Assembly, who are its members, and the places and so on and so on, while the rest of the guys were like "it's like 300 different names for fake places and fake people... fuck that, I ain't even gonna try" hahahaha

The festival stuff was really fun (loved Travis getting three nat 1s in a fucking row, lmao) and it provided a nice breather before we dove into the political stuff again (with the declaration of war) and the heavy backstory elements. No complaints from me at all, even if I think Matt was a little tired (and some of the cast, too) by the end of 18 with the amount of things Liam/Caleb had asked to do. It swerved into "shopping episode" territory and we aaaaaall know how much Travis loves those :P

I also watched the first of Vox Machina's one-shots, The Search for Grog, like a week ago or so. Man, it was so bittersweet... I mean, the show itself was hilarious, though sometimes a bit too wink-wink-nudge-nudge with the self-references, but it was kind of opening a bit that wound that I thought it had healed a bit. I mean, I just rewatched parts from eps.114 and 115 and got all fucking teary-eyed again, so I know the end of C1 still hits me hard, so... I dunno, it was lovely to see the cast inhabit those characters once again because it reminded me of how much I missed those characters and those interactions, and at the same time, it was a bit too jarring. Uncanny, maybe. It's hard for me to explain, I guess. It suffers from that "ex-post-facto untold story" thing, when a creator goes back -after many years- to tell a previously untold story that happened chronologically within a major work of his, and then while it's amazing to see that creator return to that same world after you thought all was said and done and it just hits you with a big nostalgia wave, you also notice how diffferent the tone is and how much he's changed in his prose and it's not quite the same because, hell, chances are you've probably changed a lot too. It's the same here. So it feels jarring, like it doesn't quite fit, but when it does, OH MAN IT DOES.
Fuck it, I missed Scanlan the most. That gnome bard is just incredible.

And Grog getting the amazing crowd reaction was such a fucking highlight. That man just wanted to fuck shit up, and he did.

Another great moment was Matt making the ridiculous, offhand (heh) "bugbears got Percy's arm!" comment by Sam actually canon. It was random as fuck... and it was hilarious.

So, all in all, there was more things I loved in the one-shot than things I wasn't very fond of. I still think they went a bit too self-referential at times but I guess the fact that this was a live show lent itself for those kind of moments, to get a reaction from the crowd, so it's understandable.

I guess I'll watch The Search for Bob in the near future, but I'm in no hurry at all.

Thanks for reading! :D

PS: I'm just interacting with people who quote me because otherwise there's a big fucking chance I get spoiled with things that are happening "right now" in the campaign and I'm doing my best to avoid those (I haven't been completely successful, sadly)

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UNDEADWOOD NOOOOOOOOOO im going to miss this 😔😔😔😔

and i blame travis for that finale

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Undeadwood was great. I hope they can make a season 2 or another limited series like this. The cast and crew did such an amazing job.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Undeadwood was great. That ending was sooooooo intense.

I don't know that I'd want to see a second season though. I think it ended on such a high note that I'd like to see them branch out and do some more new stuff. Clearly it helped a lot that Brian was super passionate about the setting and the characters, so I don't know that they could replicate that kind of energy.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Here's something I didn't understand from last CR: I thought the Inevitable End was supposed to be even more powerful than the Laughing Hand, sort of a Horseman of the Apocalypse kind of character. How did the M9 beat it to within 50hp?

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
She probably is stronger, but it was 7 vs. 1. She fucked up by trying to take them all at once instead of waiting to catch the group isolated.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Here's something I didn't understand from last CR: I thought the Inevitable End was supposed to be even more powerful than the Laughing Hand, sort of a Horseman of the Apocalypse kind of character. How did the M9 beat it to within 50hp?
The Laughing Hand was never that tough, the party talked itself into losing whenever they faced it. The problem was before killing the LH heart, the Laughing Hand would just come back to life after a certain period of unknown time (6 seconds, minutes, hours, day?). Probably a few rounds or minutes or it wouldn't have been such a threat in its heyday.

Also, with the LH the party doesn't play it smart, they know you shouldn't use slashing /cutting weapons but they don't really think about it themselves or inform their potential backup like the Cobalt Soul guards. Travis has to remember to not use his sword but he can still do good damage with Eldritch Blast - he seems to forget nearly everything so good luck with that.... Beau is no problem, same with others except Nott. I think doing slashing/piercing damage raises the DC on the mind effect saving throw the LH causes.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The Laughing Hand was never that tough, the party talked itself into losing whenever they faced it. The problem was before killing the LH heart, the Laughing Hand would just come back to life after a certain period of unknown time (6 seconds, minutes, hours, day?). Probably a few rounds or minutes or it wouldn't have been such a threat in its heyday.

Also, with the LH the party doesn't play it smart, they know you shouldn't use slashing /cutting weapons but they don't really think about it themselves or inform their potential backup like the Cobalt Soul guards. Travis has to remember to not use his sword but he can still do good damage with Eldritch Blast - he seems to forget nearly everything so good luck with that.... Beau is no problem, same with others except Nott. I think doing slashing/piercing damage raises the DC on the mind effect saving throw the LH causes.

Okay, that makes sense, but I guess what I'm saying is the lore for these creatures doesn't match up with the actual stats. If it was Vox Machina vs. one of them then I could understand, but the M9 still isn't that powerful and yet they took on and nearly killed something that was feared as something immensely powerful in the old times.