• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody think they're skip to the meeting tomorrow night and the Nott curse fallout? Or will be have boat travel episode with a random sea monster fight

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll go to the Ball Eater, maybe arrange for Yasha to get a magic tattoo, maybe check up on the Ruby and Nott's family, and then set out. They probably will be attacked by either Uk'otoa's agents or some kind or random sea encounter. It has been a while since the group had a real fight, so I figure Matt will throw something at them.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
It would be cool to go to port damali. Are they going to abandon Cad's stuff though? That was their goal before the Nott stuff happened.

We should start making avatar bets about what we think the M9 are going to do during a session. 90% of them end up being way off the mark lol.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
nott's thing feels like it's going to be 10 minutes of "well fuck" and then them putting that on the back burner

it seems like cad/fjord's stuff is coming after the peace negotiations, and then travelercon. Unless they just pull a 5 week downtime to advance the clock

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so. Once the war dies down a bit I would love for Matt to explore the Coast and its society a bit more. Outside of Jester's hometown we really haven't seen much of it.
They were going to go there until they accidentally stole a boat and became pirates lol. Unfortunately, there is no real story beat to take them there unless Matt comes up with something. Fjord doesn't seem that interested in tracking down the boat saboteur now that he knows Vandran survived and is living peacefully retired on an island.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
They were going to go there until they accidentally stole a boat and became pirates lol. Unfortunately, there is no real story beat to take them there unless Matt comes up with something. Fjord doesn't seem that interested in tracking down the boat saboteur now that he knows Vandran survived and is living peacefully retired on an island.

Yeah, Sabian has kind of become a discarded plot thread. I guess there is always the possibility that he is the third chosen, or is connected to the Uk'otoa plot, so maybe he could come back at some point. Hopefully at some point, Matt will organically be able to come up with a plot hook to take them to Port Damali.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, I can see the sabian encounter now:

EXTERIOR - PIRATE SHIP AT SEA - NIGHT

Rain falls in torrents with the occasional lightning strike to light a scene otherwise only lit by five dim otherworldly floating orange lights. An imposing half orc and a sinewy, sinister human are in a standoff as the boat rocks with each crashing wave. The smaller man pulls back his sleeve to reveal a yellow cat's eye orb embedded in his palm and sneers.

SABIAN
(breathing heavily)
Long time no see, Fjord. Uk'otoa sends his regards. You know, I always felt a bit bad about
betraying you and Vandren, but business is business.
Now, I'm going to send you back to the bottom of the ocean, and this time you'll stay down there.
A long pause, as rain batters the deck

FJORD
(visibly confused)
I'm sorry, who are you?​

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair Sabian was one of the few plot threads Fjord tried to follow on his own initiative. The plot just got kind of screwed up when they messed up on the docks and had to kind of head straight to Avantika. On the other hand, I would absolutely start laughing if Fjord/Travis just straight up forgot the traitor who set him on the path to being an adventurer.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
You know, did they ever address the Tiamat stuff from way back when?

I don't think the Tiamat stuff has even been mentioned since Yasha destroyed the bowl. If Calianna ever comes back then maybe it will get brought up again. I vaguely remember her implying the cult would target Yasha because she was the one who destroyed the bowl, but I don't see how they would ever get that information. So maybe it could be a future plot thread, but it might be conditional on Mark Hulmes being in the country.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Fjord should probably stay behind for the peace talks. Otherwise Ukatoa is gonna show up and ruin everything they've worked so hard on.

I'm fine if Travis is kinda checked out. There's different kinds of players and Travis seems like he just likes to do cool shit in fights and isn't so much interested in RP stuff. Once in a while he'll stretch his acting muscles and that seems to tide him over. As long as he's not actively being a hindrance to the group then it's whatever.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Fjord should probably stay behind for the peace talks. Otherwise Ukatoa is gonna show up and ruin everything they've worked so hard on.

I'm fine if Travis is kinda checked out. There's different kinds of players and Travis seems like he just likes to do cool shit in fights and isn't so much interested in RP stuff. Once in a while he'll stretch his acting muscles and that seems to tide him over. As long as he's not actively being a hindrance to the group then it's whatever.
Yeah I agree that is just the kind of player Travis is, you don't need all 7 heavily invested in acting/back story stuff. He enjoys the dungeons/combat plus seeing what happens to his friends with their backstories. The only problem comes to play when they ask him to be the face of the party since he doesn't remember any of the story's nuances. Ashley is similar, except she may get more into the acting now since she wont be leaving the show every few episodes like she did when on Blindspot.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there will be an arc in the future of CR that exclusively focuses on Travis's character's desires to steer the plot again. Which is fair enough, because that's a lot of pressure to carry "your arc", especially if you aren't interested in doing that. Merge some plot lines and make it an ensemble thing like what seems to be happening with Cad and fjord.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Yea seems like a safe bet that after the Avantika and pirate arc stuff where Travis was visibly uncomfortable being the "lead" of the group, Matt won't put him in a position like that again.

I'm really curious about what Travellercon is going actually turn into and I know that Laura will embrace that shit like a champ.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I would be thrilled if Jester turned out to be the new Scanlan and just bailed on the party to go do some creepy cult stuff.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
The traveler will offer her unlimited power if she kills Nott.

2 birds with one stone!
She accepts and "kills" Nott by performing the spell that restores her to her former body and Veth identity. The Traveler, being a trickster, appreciates the ruse and honors the deal. And thus Jester begins her reign over the mortal realm.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
She accepts and "kills" Nott by performing the spell that restores her to her former body and Veth identity. The Traveler, being a trickster, appreciates the ruse and honors the deal. And thus Jester begins her reign over the mortal realm.

Ten years later, Caleb has mastered time magic to put an end to Jester's evil reign and travels back in time to that moment, because he knows the only way to stop things is to kill Nott himself.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Ten years later, Caleb has mastered time magic to put an end to Jester's evil reign and travels back in time to that moment, because he knows the only way to stop things is to kill Nott himself.
It is as he plunges the dagger into Nott's heart that he hears Jester laugh. She reveals that she modified his memory of the event. Caleb is struck by the realization that the spell was fake. Not trusting the spell they created to work, Caleb had taken Nott's place using illusion magic to disguise himself as Nott and then "transform" into Veth. As Caleb regains his memory he looks down at the blood on his hands and looks down at Nott, whose disguise has now slipped revealing Caleb's past self. In his last moments of existence before he fades away, he realizes that Jester pulled the ultimate trick and got Caleb to kill himself.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
You're all forgetting that Sprinkle is actually the Chained Oblivion forced into a benign form. He will devour the Traveler and regain his divinity and then consume the entire multiverse. Molly was the only one that knew the truth and was killed because of it.

Also you all are amazing, and I honestly love this thread.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
It is as he plunges the dagger into Nott's heart that he hears Jester laugh. She reveals that she modified his memory of the event. Caleb is struck by the realization that the spell was fake. Not trusting the spell they created to work, Caleb had taken Nott's place using illusion magic to disguise himself as Nott and then "transform" into Veth. As Caleb regains his memory he looks down at the blood on his hands and looks down at Nott, whose disguise has now slipped revealing Caleb's past self. In his last moments of existence before he fades away, he realizes that Jester pulled the ultimate trick and got Caleb to kill himself.

-slowclap-

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dream Machine wants to let you all know that he loves you very much. He'll see you next Thursday

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT.

I didn't see who he was replying to, my joke could be easily misinterpreted to be very bad. Apologies.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Political threads are a minefield. Game threads can get you banned too when it involves politics or very stupid trolling.

So realistically what do you guys think will interrupt the peace talks? Assassination by Cerebus Assembly scourgers, third chosen of Ukotoa or undead warlock Avantika (deathlok) getting revenge? Just imagine the marital strife if Ukotoa shenanigans make Jester miss TravelerCon since the peace talks are so close to it in time.

Last edited:

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Political threads are a minefield. Game threads can get you banned too when it involves politics or very stupid trolling.

So realistically what do you guys think will interrupt the peace talks? Assassination by Cerebus Assembly scourgers, third chosen of Ukotoa or undead warlock Avantika (deathlok) getting revenge? Just imagine the martial strife if Ukotoa shenanigans make Jester miss TravelerCon since the peace talks are so close to it in time.

Both sides, from what we've seen, seem to want the war to end, so if there is a major conflict it will likely be a third party. Uk'otoa seems likely but I also feel we haven't really seen the last of the cult, and it'd be a pretty good place to strike if they have any more agents on the inside.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Both sides, from what we've seen, seem to want the war to end, so if there is a major conflict it will likely be a third party. Uk'otoa seems likely but I also feel we haven't really seen the last of the cult, and it'd be a pretty good place to strike if they have any more agents on the inside.
True, it would make sense that Trent just wants to hold onto the 2nd beacon for now and not immediately strike. If anything, the beacon will be booby-trapped somehow that isn't immediately obvious/readily detectable via spell casting and not be active until much later.

I'm not sure if the cult of Tharizdun/Angel of Irons will do anything as after the big setback, they are probably looking towards releasing other chains first before attempting the one in Rexxentrum again.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
True, it would make sense that Trent just wants to hold onto the 2nd beacon for now and not immediately strike. If anything, the beacon will be booby-trapped somehow that isn't immediately obvious/readily detectable via spell casting and not be active until much later.

I'm not sure if the cult of Tharizdun/Angel of Irons will do anything as after the big setback, they are probably looking towards releasing other chains first before attempting the one in Rexxentrum again.

Yeah I'm kind of confused about the extent of Tharizdun's influence vs the actual Angel of Irons cult. Is Vence, Oban, the lady in the Rexxentrum Church and the probably undiscovered mole in Xhorhas all related to the Angel of Irons cult, or just Oban? I know they were all unknowingly working towards freeing Tharizdun, but does Tharizdun itself have any followers, or are we to assume all 'cults' are being twisted to Tharizdun in some way?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm kind of confused about the extent of Tharizdun's influence vs the actual Angel of Irons cult. Is Vence, Oban, the lady in the Rexxentrum Church and the probably undiscovered mole in Xhorhas all related to the Angel of Irons cult, or just Oban? I know they were all unknowingly working towards freeing Tharizdun, but does Tharizdun itself have any followers, or are we to assume all 'cults' are being twisted to Tharizdun in some way?

I get the feeling that the Angel of Irons cult is just one tool for the Chained Oblivion. Oban wasn't the leader of the cult, he didn't even know the truth about what he was worshiping. I feel like there might be people like Jayne from Sam's one shot who manipulate other cults and steer them towards releasing the Chained Oblivion. So there are probably a group of powerful clerics or spies that are still out there pulling strings. Part of me expects them to be at Travelercon trying to manipulate the Traveler's followers too.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that the Angel of Irons cult is just one tool for the Chained Oblivion. Oban wasn't the leader of the cult, he didn't even know the truth about what he was worshiping. I feel like there might be people like Jayne from Sam's one shot who manipulate other cults and steer them towards releasing the Chained Oblivion. So there are probably a group of powerful clerics or spies that are still out there pulling strings. Part of me expects them to be at Travelercon trying to manipulate the Traveler's followers too.

Yeah that's a good shout, except we know the Traveler is real while if we are to believe Obann, the Angel of Irons speaking to him was just Tharizdun's whispers the entire time. There could be some people that try and start some shit but I assume the Traveler would have some power to stop it

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
While I do think that Travis is the most "I'm just here to have fun and kill things" player of Critical Role, I think he plays up his obliviousness for comedic effect. I don't think he forgets nearly as much as he pretends to forget.

Also, Ashley's ridiculous non-sequiter statements as Yasha are amazing. The crayon thing was awesome as well as something near the end that I can't seem to recall but I almost died hearing. I'm gonna have to scan through the episode again.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's a good shout, except we know the Traveler is real while if we are to believe Obann, the Angel of Irons speaking to him was just Tharizdun's whispers the entire time. There could be some people that try and start some shit but I assume the Traveler would have some power to stop it

I think you're right. My guess is that some Chained Oblivion cultists think the Traveler is fake, so they view the cult/religion as easy pickings. The Traveler might just think they're funny and intends for them to be exposed and killed at Travelercon. I just think it will be a way for Matt to show that the Chained Oblivion isn't just limited to the Angel of Irons cult and that they have agents in a lot of different places.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're right. My guess is that some Chained Oblivion cultists think the Traveler is fake, so they view the cult/religion as easy pickings. The Traveler might just think they're funny and intends for them to be exposed and killed at Travelercon. I just think it will be a way for Matt to show that the Chained Oblivion isn't just limited to the Angel of Irons cult and that they have agents in a lot of different places.

That would be pretty great actually. Have them try some dumb shit and the magic utterly fail in the presence of an archfey/lesser diety and then have a predicament where the followers are all down for clowning and fucking with these poor cultists while the M9 just sit back and question whether torturing bad people is bad

While I do think that Travis is the most "I'm just here to have fun and kill things" player of Critical Role, I think he plays up his obliviousness for comedic effect. I don't think he forgets nearly as much as he pretends to forget.

Also, Ashley's ridiculous non-sequiter statements as Yasha are amazing. The crayon thing was awesome as well as something near the end that I can't seem to recall but I almost died hearing. I'm gonna have to scan through the episode again.

I hope Ashley plays a more lighthearted character next campaign. I think she wanted Yasha to be this Grog-esque Barbarian with a dark past that was mostly shelved for funny moments but her disappearances ended up making it into a whole thing. Hopefully now that she is more present, her future character can be someone she can just riff with since she is fucking hilarious.

EDIT: Wildemount Calendar

I didn't realise Travelercon was still more than a month away! For some reason it kept coming up and I thought it was before the meeting. I went back to check to see when they first heard about it and Jester heard it during the downtime in Zadash which was last year in Quen'pillar 835 PD. I also didn't even realise they were in the new year! They spent the day travelling through the Menagerie Coast and through the Wuyun Gates into the Empire lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Pouring one out for Dream Machine in my own way

XrpUht8.gif

cut to black

おわり
You're all forgetting that Sprinkle is actually the Chained Oblivion forced into a benign form. He will devour the Traveler and regain his divinity and then consume the entire multiverse. Molly was the only one that knew the truth and was killed because of it.

Also you all are amazing, and I honestly love this thread.
Critical Role |OT| Our Writers Are Better Than Their Writers

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Critical Role |OT| Our Writers Are Better Than Their Writers

We really need an updated title. Other suggestions?

Critical Role |OT| How do you want to do this?
Critical Role |OT| Life needs things to live
Critical Role |OT| You leave when Burt Reynolds says you can leave
Critical Role |OT| Don't forget to love each other

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019