• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
As a DM, I don't want to risk putting players in that position. The most I'll probably do is offer to let them roll for stats, but to then adjust to point-buy.

A good rule if you're rolling is to let people reroll if their total is under a certain number. That way they're not too screwed but there's still some randomness.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'll be on the lookout for Sam's weird front butt in all of the episode thumbnail pictures. Laura's description was killing me.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Not directed at you but I am not sure why people are surprised. These guys do not want to play to stereotypes

That's true, and his new character is very mysterious.

I feel like I might end up subbing to Alpha, their series on painting seems decent and the Star Trek TTRPG has my interest too.

Liam feels like he got to do exactly what he wanted to do.

Somethings never change ;P

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's true, and his new character is very mysterious.

I feel like I might end up subbing to Alpha, their series on painting seems decent and the Star Trek TTRPG has my interest too.

Somethings never change ;P
Shield of Tomorrow is pretty fun too. Feels a bit more on-rails than Critical Role but they have their own "Vox Machina going to hell" moments where they suddenly decided to do something that the DM has not prepared for AT ALL.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No offense but am I the only one who feels the #CancelBlindspot thing is kinda... For want of a better term, petty? I mean, I'm almost certain Ashley makes more money off of it than CR and I'm pretty sure she enjoys doing it too. We shouldn't want her to have to leave a job she enjoys and gets good income for just for our sakes. Just my uneducated take tho'.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If someone is actually serious about it, yeah, it's pretty pathetic. But jokingly said it's just a way to show how much people want Ashley back more permanently.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
And I think its fine and even funny to say in a critter-space like this thread or on reddit, but actually putting it on twitter where fans of the show, or the network people or something might see it and misinterpret it is crossing a line.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
No offense but am I the only one who feels the #CancelBlindspot thing is kinda... For want of a better term, petty? I mean, I'm almost certain Ashley makes more money off of it than CR and I'm pretty sure she enjoys doing it too. We shouldn't want her to have to leave a job she enjoys and gets good income for just for our sakes. Just my uneducated take tho'.
I'm not sure what your level of education has to do with it, but as long as nobody is harassing anybody, saying "I wish Blindspot wasn't on so that Ashley could be on the show more" is perfectly fine. Hell, the other cast members and her boyfriend give the show and the situation shit all the time.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm not sure what your level of education has to do with it, but as long as nobody is harassing anybody, saying "I wish Blindspot wasn't on so that Ashley could be on the show more" is perfectly fine. Hell, the other cast members and her boyfriend give the show and the situation shit all the time.
I wasn't aware if I was missing some piece of the puzzle. And I wasn't aware of the bolded. I can definitely understand the situation better now. Sorry if I came off judge-y, I wasn't trying to, but I can see how I might have.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I just would never post that to social media because it can be misinterpreted regardless of intent.

I also enjoy blindspot

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Also considering they have sprinkled d&d and critical Role references in the show is always a good thing

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
holy crap there are billboards, that must be wild for the cast and long-time DnD players.

I'm really glad Travis went with a Hexblade warlock. It's like that moment when you're considering between two options and your eye just catches one class option and you're like " hell yeah, this is the right one". I'll have to read more of Xanathar's for some details on it.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
Just started watching the new campaign and wow is it fun.

I'm kind of disappointed in Fjord so far who hasn't really done or said much yet. Hoping he gets more vocal as we go along, especially with that charisma score of his. All of the other characters are great so far. I can't pick a favourite because they're all so good!

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those D&D Beyond character sheets they're using have ability and spell management stuff in them. Warlock spell slots, spell levels, mystic arcanum, abilities, pact boons, patron features and invocations can all get kind of complicated, so Travis might need some help going from Barbarian to a pretty esoteric caster class.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like Travis just needs to get used to the fact that he can actually contribute more than just "I want to rage!" to the game, and I think he said as much in the TM yesterday.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if those D&D Beyond character sheets they're using have ability and spell management stuff in them. Warlock spell slots, spell levels, mystic arcanum, abilities, pact boons, patron features and invocations can all get kind of complicated, so Travis might need some help going from Barbarian to a pretty esoteric caster class.

It kind of does. It has the spells listed and even has separate lists for Spells Known vs. Spells Prepared and it gives you available spells specific to your class. You still have to manually manage everything, but it's pretty decent for tracking and clean interface. It also tells you your +mod clean and clear taking into account everything you've entered (racial bonuses, items, expertise, etc..).

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear. He doesn't need to cast more or anything, it would just be nice to see him more active. Having drunk Korra be the voice of reason so far is strange lol

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of does. It has the spells listed and even has separate lists for Spells Known vs. Spells Prepared and it gives you available spells specific to your class. You still have to manually manage everything, but it's pretty decent for tracking and clean interface. It also tells you your +mod clean and clear taking into account everything you've entered (racial bonuses, items, expertise, etc..).
Sounds like a good choice then. They're best when they don't have to get bogged down in rules and modifiers, and I'm sure that takes some pressure off of Matt having to double check everyone's math too.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Just started watching the new campaign and wow is it fun.

I'm kind of disappointed in Fjord so far who hasn't really done or said much yet. Hoping he gets more vocal as we go along, especially with that charisma score of his. All of the other characters are great so far. I can't pick a favourite because they're all so good!
Well, you have to remember that the first episode of the last campaign had all the cards thrown on the table. There were hardly any character reveals as the season went on.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow will be the second episode of the new campaign. And the first is released in podcast form.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you have to remember that the first episode of the last campaign had all the cards thrown on the table. There were hardly any character reveals as the season went on.
It's cool we'll be along for the ride as their party dynamics and interpersonal relationships get formed. As you said, Vox Machina's dynamic was pretty set from the first time we saw them.

I'm sure at least a few of them have some dramatic backstory reveals, so having the other players and the audience all getting the reveals at the same time is pretty great.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Ashley's certainly is a character with the shadiest of pasts. I feel her disappearing act will be a common occurrence whenever the guards are involved. And I feel this setting is a place where they'll have plenty of times when the guards will be involved.

I think Marisha also said something that could be a hint about some of the things in her character's past. But I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The rest are more mysterious.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
1. Yeah I think a "Cancel Blindspot" campaign, even in jest, is in bad form. That's Ashley's livelihood, and acting careers are fickle enough as it is.
2. I assumed Fjord was a Clint Eastwood type of charismatic personality, but it would be cool to see Travis participate more.
3. Is it Thursday yet

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a few that I caught on a rewatch that seem like they'll be important over time(I'm using the actor's names since I don't have all of the characters memorized):
Liam being really stingey with money (not picking up a book he wanted even though he had the silver)
Laura talking to some unseen person constantly (deity?)
Travis being really good at disguises (according to Marisha and Laura, happened in their session zero apparently)
Marisha's parents wanting a son instead of a daughter
and of course basically everything about Ashley's character

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
We talked about it a few pages ago because of this tweet

in addition to Jester complimenting Fjord's disguise self, as well as making a point to call him handsome earlier in the game. I think Fjord's up to something sneaky that involves getting into that wizard college.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Liam being really stingey with money (not picking up a book he wanted even though he had the silver)
Speaking of that, something interesting I saw mentioned on the reddit is that at low level, Transmutation wizards can
temporarily turn materials like wood or stone into silver. So I'm thinking he probably didn't want to give the shopkeeper bad money that would revert back to wood and ruin a relationship with a bookstore owner or draw attention to himself. Also probably why he was fronting Nott's gambling with Jester in silver pieces.