• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of that, something interesting I saw mentioned on the reddit is that at low level, Transmutation wizards can
temporarily turn materials like wood or stone into silver. So I'm thinking he probably didn't want to give the shopkeeper bad money that would revert back to wood and ruin a relationship with a bookstore owner or draw attention to himself. Also probably why he was fronting Nott's gambling with Jester in silver pieces.
ooooo, I forgot about that, that's pretty cool!

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Speaking of that, something interesting I saw mentioned on the reddit is that at low level, Transmutation wizards can
temporarily turn materials like wood or stone into silver. So I'm thinking he probably didn't want to give the shopkeeper bad money that would revert back to wood and ruin a relationship with a bookstore owner or draw attention to himself. Also probably why he was fronting Nott's gambling with Jester in silver pieces.
I think the only flaw is that it takes ten minutes to do and only lasts an hour unless Matt changed that

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a good choice then. They're best when they don't have to get bogged down in rules and modifiers, and I'm sure that takes some pressure off of Matt having to double check everyone's math too.

Yeah. The only thing that I think is tricky is when Homebrew items come into play. I *think* it allows Homebrew items if the players and DM are all linked in a campaign, but I haven't used the site like that and don't have the paid subscription or anything. So there's features that I can't see.

1. Yeah I think a "Cancel Blindspot" campaign, even in jest, is in bad form. That's Ashley's livelihood, and acting careers are fickle enough as it is.

Yup, in addition to all the other people working on the show (actors and production). That's why I never wish cancellation on a show.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for some Molly prison break action tomorrow night. Going by Matt's description of the area, I think the group will be dealing with a lot of Kingsguard/authorities this campaign; at least early on. Liam and Travis better buckle up and get ready to be charismatic, or the rest of their group are going to be getting arrested every other week.
I think the only flaw is that it takes ten minutes to do and only lasts an hour unless Matt changed that
Good point. He and Liam could have worked out something beforehand like "if there is any downtime, assume I made more silver" or the like, but we'll have to wait and see.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The youtube stream page is already up and already has an episode title.

Really leaning into that "we have writers" narrative, lol

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Watching episode 1 again, I realized that Marisha was trying to channel Kate McKinnon (from SNL) for Beau's voice. But she kind of dropped it after the first bit.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, that's an inspiration I hadn't thought of. I mostly just got like an awkward, drunk teenage boy vibe from Beau the first time through, partly because I think she wasn't quite decided on how deep she wanted to go with the voice mixed with a half-drunk line delivery.

I might throw the podcast on tomorrow to see if I can pick up on anything new.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This is coming a habit. Sleeping badly between wednesday and thursday. :S Oh well, it means it's likely I'll wake up in the middle of the night and be able to watch this live again.

But not before I have some delicious vegan Indian buffet in 1,5 hours. :3

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
It was pretty disappointing when the McElroy's admitted to fudging dice rolls for dramatic and comedic effect on the adventure zone

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
The only die-fudging I would accept as true for Tabletop Escapades were that they were making the rolls even lower - they suck at everything.

P.S. itsthursdayitsthursdayitsthursdayitsthursday weeeeee

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty disappointing when the McElroy's admitted to fudging dice rolls for dramatic and comedic effect on the adventure zone

Which sucks cause half the dramatic/comedic effect comes from the randomness of a dice roll. Landing that perfect nat 20 or falling flat on your face in spectacular failure are the stories you tell over and over. I can't support that and I'd be pretty devastated if rolls were fudged on CR. I won't watch TAZ for that reason. I know it seems silly to take such a highfalutin' moral standing on something like watching a board game online but I just like things to be honest. The highs and lows you feel during a pre-meditated moment will never match the ones you get from one crafted with a scoop of chance and improv.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's Thursday!
Wasn't it just Clint fudging 1's though? I remember him getting called out pretty hard for that too.
Nah, Travis especially but also Justin admitted that they fudged their rolls when they thought it would make the narrative flow better. I honestly never looked at that show the same way again after that, it was like being cheated on in a relationship or something lol. I think for a group of people who like to improv they weirdly disregarded the randomness of the dice when it didn't suit them. One of the biggest criticisms (myself included) of TAZ towards the end was that it just became "Story Time with Griffin" where the rolls didn't matter, so I wonder if they will end up addressing that in their next big campaign.

Imagine if Matt did that. One of the biggest players in last campaign's narrative, RQ, probably would have been much, much less important, and Vax's entire storyline would have been completely different. All from one character being careless, and another failing a dexterity saving throw. It's those moments of randomness and embracing them that make games like this special.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I never fudge rolls, even as a DM. But that's because I am OK with manipulating chaos.

If the new CR stuff is anything like how G+S is doing Shield of Tomorrow, there is a writing staff. But I cannot imagine anyone thinking Mercer needs writing staff.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, I mentioned the writers earlier as a joke. Critical Role having a writing staff is like the flat earth theory of this show. Most people joke about it, while a small minority actually seem to think it's true.

Matt obviously writes tons of world backstory, lore and loose frameworks, but everything else feels very improvised to me. I think it's because he's so familiar with his world, and has fleshed it out so much in his own mind that he his able to roll with whatever the players end up choosing to do.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Travis especially but also Justin admitted that they fudged their rolls when they thought it would make the narrative flow better. I honestly never looked at that show the same way again after that, it was like being cheated on in a relationship or something lol. I think for a group of people who like to improv they weirdly disregarded the randomness of the dice when it didn't suit them. One of the biggest criticisms (myself included) of TAZ towards the end was that it just became "Story Time with Griffin" where the rolls didn't matter, so I wonder if they will end up addressing that in their next big campaign.

Imagine if Matt did that. One of the biggest players in last campaign's narrative, RQ, probably would have been much, much less important, and Vax's entire storyline would have been completely different. All from one character being careless, and another failing a dexterity saving throw. It's those moments of randomness and embracing them that make games like this special.
Holy shit, really? It's one thing to fudge 1's for comedic effect, but I had no idea that they all were doing it. I must not have been playing very close attention to that episode of The The Adventure Zone Zone.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is some significance to the half-orc from the carnival being named "Bo" the Breaker and the snake dancers being named the "Knot" Sisters? Having two NPCs with the same name as player characters in the first episode would be odd if it wasn't done on purpose. Surely Matt already had the player characters' names when he named the NPCs and he certainly was doing some kind of foreshadowing with the carnival show's story.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
I wonder if there is some significance to the half-orc from the carnival being named "Bo" the Breaker and the snake dancers being named the "Knot" Sisters? Having two NPCs with the same name as player characters in the first episode would be odd if it wasn't done on purpose. Surely Matt already had the player characters' names when he named the NPCs and he certainly was doing some kind of foreshadowing with the carnival show's story.
holy shit.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The setup of the police making the people who were attacked investigate what happened or they'll be seen as criminals doesn't make much sense to me.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he was making them investigate. The head guard said there would be an investigation and for them to tell him if any more information that cleared them came to light. He seems to be assuming they're guilty until proven innocent, and is keeping tabs on where they are staying. Yasha running off into the night probably won't be a great look for the rest of the party's innocence either.

I didn't see it as him making them deputy investigators or something.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well if you told me just a few weeks ago that I would be looking forward to watching a group of people play DnD I would have called you crazy. I am a little surprised how much I enjoyed last week's episode and now can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he was making them investigate. The head guard said there would be an investigation and for them to tell him if any more information that cleared them came to light. He seems to be assuming they're guilty until proven innocent, and is keeping tabs on where they are staying. Yasha running off into the night probably won't be a great look for the rest of the party's innocence either.

I didn't see it as him making them deputy investigators or something.

Well, it was basically the line, "If you have no answers before this investigation is finished, then all of you will fall into the judgment." Which sort of assumes that the party will have to find answers, or else.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it was basically the line, "If you have no answers before this investigation is finished, then all of you will fall into the judgment." Which sort of assumes that the party will have to find answers, or else.
I saw it as a pretty realistic corrupt system that has a really high conviction rate, whether or not they get the actual guilty party being a secondary concern. Pinning it on carnies and people associated with them felt believable to me with real world history of Romani/"gypsies" traveling from town to town and getting blamed for things they may or may not have done as a point of inspiration.

Obviously, I'm filling in a lot of holes here myself since we don't know much about the law enforcement yet, but matt was implying they were fairly corrupt in the opening monologue if I'm remembering correctly. Also, I'm sure there's some conspiracy or mystery going on that hasn't been revealed yet.
What does that face mean? lol

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I took it as well the guards are just going to arrest the obvious weirdos at the scene so we'll have to take it upon ourselves to solve this mystery, save ourselves, and do some cool detective work.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Fjord = Fred
Caleb = Shaggy
Jester = Daphne
Beau = Velma
Yasha = Scooby
Nott = Scrappy
Molly = The old Amusement Park Owner