• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
On this week's Talks Travis mentioned that Matt had written up a basic synopsis of the area they are in and I wish we could get that. I don't really have a good grasp of where they are and what the culture is like. Matt described it during the opening, but he tends to lose me when he's in his narration mode. I appreciate that he's setting a scene, but I do better with just cold facts. Here's what I've retained from ep1: the continent is called Wildemont and it's a monarchy? I had thought Wildemont (sp?) was the name of the town from Campaign 1 where Tary's family was from, but I guess not.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that caught my attention during Matt's intro of Wildemount is that the government controls all temples, and only certain deities are allowed to be worshiped. A very different and possibly more oppressive society than what we're used to.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Tal'Dorei felt very progressive politically. It should be interesting for them to deal with a more oppressive regime.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Someone did a writeup of Matt's speech on reddit and added in some other information.
https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/7pvgsm/spoilers_c2e01_a_primer_on_c2s_location_matts/

Someone else did a map of the continent. They are currently at the green dot on the bottom.
https://www.reddit.com/r/criticalrole/comments/7qeac9/spoilers_c2e1_updated_wildemount_map/
This is what I needed. Reading through Matt's transcript I remember why I couldn't retain anything. It felt like the beginning of Final Fantasy 13, where they just throw a ton of nouns at you without any context.

Dec 20, 2017
They're deffinetly an oppressive empire. Think nilfgaard from the witcher. They seem to value order above everything else.

So does the new campaign take place in the same "reality" as campaign one or are we just onto a whole new world?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
They're deffinetly an oppressive empire. Think nilfgaard from the witcher. They seem to value order above everything else.
They value order and the arcane arts. The empire has disdain for divine magic. From the campaign guide:

"The Dwendalian Empire claims divine magics are tricks meant to control the foolish. They exalt mortal magics and ingenuity over the ideas of divine miracles and holy influence."

I'm interested to see how that plays out. I also have to imagine Jester's deity is not on the list for approved worship.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
Matt did WAY too much of a lore dump in his intro last week. He has a great voice and style for his narration but that was way too much to take in at once. The first part of this campaign though I expect them to mostly stay in one town and the surrounding area though so this is a space we'll get a better feel for.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
They value order and the arcane arts. The empire has disdain for divine magic. From the campaign guide:

"The Dwendalian Empire claims divine magics are tricks meant to control the foolish. They exalt mortal magics and ingenuity over the ideas of divine miracles and holy influence."

I'm interested to see how that plays out. I also have to imagine Jester's deity is not on the list for approved worship.

Dwendalia vs. Vassalheim - Round 1 - FIGHT!

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I've been reading too many Fantasy books but I found the intro speech to be fine. The only thing that's not understood is the geographical locations of the various cities and landmarks but without a map that's to be expected.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It was a lot of proper nouns to take in, but with things like that I just let those go by without too much thought because I know if it's important it will come up again. I was just listening for the big picture stuff.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the whole non mountainous area in the center of the Tal' Dorei map and Whitestone on the top right is where they explored. They teleported or clouded a few other places.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
No, they go live at 7 PST, do about 10 minutes of announcements and ads, and then get into it. They play a slideshow of the previous week's fan art for 15-30 minutes before 7 o'clock, though.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Pretty much the whole non mountainous area in the center of the Tal' Dorei map and Whitestone on the top right is where they explored. They teleported or clouded a few other places.
I know they hit basically all the main cities (due to Matt wanting to Elder Scrolls the campaign) except for the jungle city, but that's all I know.

I know they teleported like everywhere all the time. I loved Matt's completely unnecessarily long descriptions of Tree Port.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So, who had Marisha as the first to die?

I'm gonna fight two guards alone while in chains is actually not her worst plan though.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Travis being the voice of reason and mediator of social interactions in the party is refreshing and I like seeing him be in more of a leadership role.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Did Marisha just try to throw toadman under the bus?!

Ohhhh gosh, I'm getting flashbacks of Keyleth......

Why did she try to 'save' the girl in the first place, she was in no danger, it's clear they're supposed to be solving the mystery and everyone will be okay. Sheesh.

And yeah Wuvcraft, that was a bit far...

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
She literally died because she didn't think Matt would kill Keyleth.

Regardless of reason, she has a history of thinking she's immune.

I'm not trying to get personal or anything, I don't even know her.
Still a pretty gross statement, especially when you vouch not "getting personal or anything" and then site her romantic interests as the reason for her actions, which, on top of being arguably sexist, is an extremely personal thing and no one else's business.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
She literally died because she didn't think Matt would kill Keyleth.

Regardless of reason, she has a history of thinking she's immune.

I'm not trying to get personal or anything, I don't even know her.
She doesn't think things through and overdoes some situations in attempts of trying to have fun or drama in RPing. She doesn't think she's immune. She didn't jump because she thinks that Matt wouldn't kill her. I don't even understand how you interpret things so wrongly.

littleworm

Oct 25, 2017
I may of missed it, how did Laura and Travis end up nearly getting arrested? I thought they were only going to arrest Taliesan's character, and the other carnival people.

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
"I've seen a lot of dicks in my time." - Laura

*Cut to Travis with a disconcerted look.*

That was great.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Did Marisha just try to throw toadman under the bus?!

Ohhhh gosh, I'm getting flashbacks of Keyleth......

Why did she try to 'save' the girl in the first place, she was in no danger, it's clear they're supposed to be solving the mystery and everyone will be okay. Sheesh.

And yeah Wuvcraft, that was a bit far...
I think she just misread the situation. Last week's episode ended with the little girl being (wrongly) accused and now she was surrounded by guards, so she thought the girl would be in trouble. Maybe there's some other background information or character motivations we don't know yet why she'd be so adamant of trying to do it.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think she just misread the situation. Last week's episode ended with the little girl being (wrongly) accused and now she was surrounded by guards, so she thought the girl would be in trouble. Maybe there's some other background information or character motivations we don't know yet why she'd be so adamant of trying to do it.
Hmm, this is true, this is true.

_mail

Oct 27, 2017
The "
I don't know why, but for some reason I just can't get into this new season. I tried to watch for an hour and a half but the lack of anything actually happening put me to sleep. Maybe I'm too used to the cast due to watching all the previous episodes, but so far this has a much more artificial tone to It imo.