• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It was cool to see Travis go all in on some deception with the guard. I was getting a little worried he was feeling up to the task of a more overtly charismatic character in the group, but he was great, and with only a slight dip into Grog right after.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I saw some theories posted in twitch chat last night and I'm curious what people think.

1. Fjord was jealous of magic and made a deal with a demon to gain access to magic
2. Caleb is a werewolf trying to learn to use transmutation magic to control himself

The first seems pretty straightforward, and considering how eagerly he questioned Caleb I think it could be true. The second seems like a bit of a stretch but werewolves looking disheveled in human form is pretty common.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
We're definitely watching how the sausage gets made this time around, with some of the cast fumbling through the process of finding their characters. Still enjoyable though...Laura and Sam were in rare form last night. That canes line from Nott, I was on the floor laughing.

Matt is definitely not fumbling, aside from the pacing issue of this episode. Those NPCs were amazing. The girl with the damaged voice, inspired stuff.

But my reaction after four hours of the group completely failing at investigation and then being teased with a fight
IgMyx.gif

This is probably also because I watched the entire last campaign with VOD and could simply watch the next episide whenever instead of waiting a week or two.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know anything about Jester's deity?

She called him The Traveler, right? There's no one by that name in the Tal'Dorei campaign book, and googling for a generic D&D Traveler got me only a little, but didn't necessarily line up with a trickster.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I saw some theories posted in twitch chat last night and I'm curious what people think.

1. Fjord was jealous of magic and made a deal with a demon to gain access to magic
2. Caleb is a werewolf trying to learn to use transmutation magic to control himself

The first seems pretty straightforward, and considering how eagerly he questioned Caleb I think it could be true. The second seems like a bit of a stretch but werewolves looking disheveled in human form is pretty common.
The first one seems likely enough, though I think Hexblades' patrons are sentient weapons. Matt and Travis could have decided something else, but we'll see. There's something about the way Fjord talks about magic and wizards that makes me think he wants to kill them and steal their powers or something. Travis's performance has an undertone of greediness in those conversations. Whether that's for his patron or for himself, I'm not sure.

Werewolf Caleb might be a thing. I'm more curious why he still hasn't taken a bath.
We're definitely watching how the sausage gets made this time around, with some of the cast fumbling through the process of finding their characters. Still enjoyable though...Laura and Sam were in rare form last night. That canes line from Nott, I was on the floor laughing.

Matt is definitely not fumbling, aside from the pacing issue of this episode. Those NPCs were amazing. The girl with the damaged voice, inspired stuff.

But my reaction after four hours of the group completely failing at investigation and then being teased with a fight
IgMyx.gif

This is probably also because I watched the entire last campaign with VOD and could simply watch the next episide whenever instead of waiting a week or two.
You might be even more disappointed when they have to just flee without fighting because their healer has one healing spell left for the entire group. Those previous two zombies almost killed one of them last time when they had Yasha fighting with them and they had all their spell slots.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Do we know anything about Jester's deity?

She called him The Traveler, right? There's no one by that name in the Tal'Dorei campaign book, and googling for a generic D&D Traveler got me only a little, but didn't necessarily line up with a trickster.
There's a deity in the Eberron setting called the Traveler who would work well as a Trickster deity.
http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/The_Traveler
Currently running a cleric of the Flame an Eberron campaign, so I kinda have to be familiar with the deities of the setting, thus they sprung to mind first.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking through Pathfinder deities might help

There's a deity in the Eberron setting called the Traveler who would work well as a Trickster deity.
http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/The_Traveler
Currently running a cleric of the Flame an Eberron campaign, so I kinda have to be familiar with the deities of the setting, thus they sprung to mind first.

Cool, thanks. The Dark Six don't sound like the cheeriest of folk, but The Traveler is Chaotic Neutral, which seems right enough for Jester at this point.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
My pet theory about Caleb is that something terrible in his past caused him to ostracize himself from society. Meeting Nott has started changing his attitude a bit, but his guilt or martyr complex is still dominating his persona.
He tried to perform some forbidden alchemical transmutation with the help of his younger sister, but because of equivalent exchange she ended up... hold on

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if they're purposefully teasing some sort of attraction between Jester and Fjord. It would be interesting to see a pair who are good improvisers and an actual couple roleplaying that.
I know exactly what you mean here.

"Why don't you admit the sick and the elderly?!"

How many times has she brought up this commonplace phrasing for a show that wants to thrill customers like it is some huge elaborate conspiracy?
That's so true. I think it's been explained 3 or 4 times already, lol. And every time she's just staring blankly, as if the person explaining is talking complete nonsense.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Another thing people have pointed out is the high charisma but unless him and Travis actually put profiency is deception or persuasion, they honestly aren't that different from the rest.

This is something that I see a lot actually. People don't seem to realize that CHA as a stat isn't necessarily accurate to the name. Sort of like WIS. It simply represents a player's ability to convince someone of something, it doesn't have to have anything to do with being charismatic. It was actually something we saw quite a bit with Sam, where he'd say the most ridiculous things or tell a completely ludicrous story but people would buy it, even if skeptically (Burt Reynolds for example).

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
The most I ever liked Marisha was when she DM'd her one shot. She's great when she has stuff prepared, but when it comes to improv and RP she just isn't that good, especially compared to everyone else at the table. I know she gets a lot of unnecessary hate directed toward her, but that doesn't mean there isn't legitimate reasons she's a lot of people's least favourite.

Seriously, go back and watch her actions at the start, they're even more mind boggling the second time. Not only was it completely out of character (based on the way Marisha described her) for Beau to try to rescue a random dwarf girl, Marisha didn't understand the situation at hand one bit. Didn't know what the guards were there for, didn't realize guards were still there when she went in, didn't realize the girl wasn't even in danger and there was already a giant toad man protecting her. Beau literally walked up to a giant toad man holding a girl surrounded by three guards and started saying "run!" to the girl. What? Then to make it even worse, she tried to attack 3 guards at level 2 while already chained up. The whole thing was ridiculous, and not in a good, cliff dive kind of way.

I really try to not care and just enjoy Marisha for what she is, but when she does stuff like that it's hard to just brush it aside and say "well, no one is perfect!" She was completely lost in every sense during that scenario.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well this episode was kind of slow and I wasn't able to finish it all before bedtime, but some of the moments had me laughing my ass off. The whole sticks and rocks scene with Nott will go down as one of the funniest things i have ever seen. I also got a kick out of Marisha trying to 'rescue' the dwarf girl. She misread that situation in pretty much every way possible and it was hilarious watching everyone's reactions, Matt's especially, as she just keeps making it worse.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
He tried to perform some forbidden alchemical transmutation with the help of his younger sister, but because of equivalent exchange she ended up... hold on

What, really? Was that from the first episode? I totally missed that.

I'm wondering if they're purposefully teasing some sort of attraction between Jester and Fjord. It would be interesting to see a pair who are good improvisers and an actual couple roleplaying that.

I kind of hope not? I've said that Scanlan and Pike's relationship was one of the best parts of the first campaign, but I'm ready for a break from all the romancing between party members.

This is something that I see a lot actually. People don't seem to realize that CHA as a stat isn't necessarily accurate to the name. Sort of like WIS. It simply represents a player's ability to convince someone of something, it doesn't have to have anything to do with being charismatic. It was actually something we saw quite a bit with Sam, where he'd say the most ridiculous things or tell a completely ludicrous story but people would buy it, even if skeptically (Burt Reynolds for example).

It's many things rolled together -- it's the ability to influence, deceive, entertain, and intimidate. I think a good single word to sum that up is magnetic. Of course every person is not going to be good at all of those, but Scanlan's personality made him more likely to be successful at the first three. Caleb's quiet earnestness may make him seem more trustworthy and thus easier to influence others, but not at entertaining or intimidating people.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What, really? Was that from the first episode? I totally missed that.
No, I was just referencing Fullmetal Alchemist since Travis and Laura were voices on that show and it sounded plausible for Caleb's backstory.
I kind of hope not? I've said that Scanlan and Pike's relationship was one of the best parts of the first campaign, but I'm ready for a break from all the romancing between party members.
I'm not sure how I would feel about another intra-party romance either, but those two seem to have some low key flirting going on.

MigrantOwl

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, go back and watch her actions at the start, they're even more mind boggling the second time. Not only was it completely out of character (based on the way Marisha described her) for Beau to try to rescue a random dwarf girl, Marisha didn't understand the situation at hand one bit. Didn't know what the guards were there for, didn't realize guards were still there when she went in, didn't realize the girl wasn't even in danger and there was already a giant toad man protecting her. Beau literally walked up to a giant toad man holding a girl surrounded by three guards and started saying "run!" to the girl. What? Then to make it even worse, she tried to attack 3 guards at level 2 while already chained up. The whole thing was ridiculous, and not in a good, cliff dive kind of way.

It's almost like Marisha thinks she is invulnerable. Like Matt wouldn't kill her if she attacked guards because the campaign just started. Other than her being drunk/high like Dream Machine suggested I don't know what the alternative is here. She probably just saw the opportunity to do something she thought was cool and thought there wouldn't be any consequences if it failed. Which she was kind of right about, I guess.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I am sure G&S is fine with them having a few drinks but I doubt they would be ok with any cast getting high in advance.

Neverwinter27

Dec 22, 2017
It's almost like Marisha thinks she is invulnerable. Like Matt wouldn't kill her if she attacked guards because the campaign just started. Other than her being drunk/high like Dream Machine suggested I don't know what the alternative is here. She probably just saw the opportunity to do something she thought was cool and thought there wouldn't be any consequences if it failed. Which she was kind of right about, I guess.

After 115 episodes and a cliff jump, are you guys telling me you are still getting caught off guard to Marisha's in game antics? I don't believe you. At all.

MigrantOwl

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure G&S is fine with them having a few drinks but I doubt they would be ok with any cast getting high in advance.

At 70+K views last night (I think) G&S will let them do whatever they want. Besides, it's not like they'd know if she smoked before heading to the studio.

After 115 episodes and a cliff jump, are you guys telling me you are still getting caught off guard to Marisha's in game antics? I don't believe you. At all.

It's a little surprising that she'd take a newly created character and potentially throw it away to do something her character has zero motivation to actually do. The Frog and Toya weren't even in danger or under arrest, they were just walking somewhere with the guards. The situation makes no sense whatsoever.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this was next level. I've come to expect stuff like her getting weirdly caught up on something even after it being explained to her, or being bad at articulating her thoughts (both of which happened this episode), but this was like the perfect storm of bad RP, not paying attention, not understanding and making bad decisions. I was gobsmacked while it was happening and in even more disbelief watching it back.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
This is the origin of the bottom of Sam's mug this week, in case you guys don't watch Talks Machina. For context, Laura is talking about choosing the episode thumbnail images from their 80's intro photoshoot where Sam is wearing those short shorts.

https://streamerclips.com/twitch/geekandsundry/ResolutePhilanthropicOryxTheThing

Also on the Sam tip, he has worn the same shirts in episode 1 and 2 of this campaign as he did in the first campaign. I wonder how long he'll keep this up.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Watching on Alpha compared to regular Twitch is like being bathed in a fresh spring.

I don't have lag.
Actual consistently clear picture.
The info pop-ups are great and hilarious.
The character info sheets are much better (to a degree that I'm pissed because there's no reason for them to be paywalled).

Marisha has definitely alluded to it, even though it could have been an in-joke. And she had the visual gag on Signal Boost of being on a bean bag chair and exhaling smoke.

"I didn't think I was that high" is the most obvious that it's ever been. So the cast at least has some form of tolerance for that tomfoolery.

Honestly, for the type of show that Critical Role is, I could see G&S being lenient on things that make you light of the mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It's quite intense that Jester's deity makes her hallucinate just to mess with her. I can see Matt doing some fun stuff with that as the campaign goes on.
Watching on Alpha compared to regular Twitch is like being bathed in a fresh spring.

I don't have lag.
Actual consistently clear picture.
The info pop-ups are great and hilarious.
The character info sheets are much better (to a degree that I'm pissed because there's no reason for them to be paywalled).
The youtube stream is nice and clear without lag too, if Alpha crashes on you.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
My gut feeling is everyone is in their 30's except for Jester who is in the low 20's and Nott who is a 12 year old alcoholic.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the idea of "levels" has always been fairly artificial and I'd assume the lifepsan of people in D&D worlds is a lot rosier than real people in the 3rd century, but it's kinda weird that most of the group is in their 30s, but are as far as I can tell newly-minted adventurers. I assume the cast just wanted to play characters closer to their own ages?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense that it would take people years and years of their lives to gain the abilities player characters in D&D have access to. Why exactly these people are out adventuring hasn't been directly addressed in the story yet. Some are searching for something, others are running from something, one just got his carnival wrecked and is hanging out with these people because they are all currently under house arrest. I assume everyone had a previous life before starting this adventuring thing. Just being an adventurer™ with no reasoning behind it is super shallow, so I doubt anybody in the cast is going with anything so simple.

Conflating levels with age isn't a good metric, though. Otherwise elves being level 1 would make zero sense unless they are all horribly inept or super young. It makes more sense that they have been living a normal life as a florist or something up until a few years ago when they started hunting as a hobby and learning how to shoot a bow or got conscripted into military service or whatever. "Then came the day that the dragon attacked my village..."

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Well I suppose I'm comparing too much to ancient societies, as back then you basically started your "adult" life around 15 or so. You were apprenticing from a young age and were quite competent by your early 20s in whatever skill or trade you studied in. But you're right that they may have had other lives before this; I'm interested to hear more about their backstories.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I guess the idea of "levels" has always been fairly artificial and I'd assume the lifepsan of people in D&D worlds is a lot rosier than real people in the 3rd century, but it's kinda weird that most of the group is in their 30s, but are as far as I can tell newly-minted adventurers. I assume the cast just wanted to play characters closer to their own ages?
In my campaign, two of the characters are gnomes, already past 100 years old. Most other characters are at least around 30.
Their characters were, in most of their settings, doing other things besides adventuring like this, so they picked some skills but still never really pushed them too far. This is where they start doing so because they have an actual excuse for it...

... though they just got a boat and are arguing for starting a boat waffle stand and just forget the adventure...

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I like that Liam roleplayed the material components and rites of his alarm spell last game. I hope he and Matt keep that up because I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least the next episode is going to start with a fight. Against two armored and armed zombies.
I'm excited to see them deal with that especially since they're already low on resources and have no Yasha this time.
I think that both have fantastic range, yet refuse to go far enough outside of their safe zones in the main game.
Yeah, I was mostly just joking. I'm honestly not sure about Marisha's range because I'm not familiar with her work outside of CR, but Liam definitely can go different even though he seems to have stayed pretty comfortable in both Vax and Caleb. It's fair enough since CR is such a long form show, but I'm still holding out hope for some kind of a reveal and some added complexity to his performance as time goes on. Like his German accent gets stronger when he's more emotional or something.

I think what some people are confusing when they say that Vax and Caleb don't sound like each other because their accents are different – so they don't understand the complaints of other viewers – is that his delivery is almost identical. The timbre, the cadence. Sam, Travis, Laura, and Ashley have all changed not only their voices and accents, but also the way their new characters deliver the lines. Taliesin, Marisha, and Liam are shakier at the moment and are in a bit of a limbo or uncanny valley between the speech and mannerisms of their old characters and their new ones. It will probably be quite gradual, so it should be interesting to re-watch some scenes from these early episodes when we're on episode 30 or later to really hear the differences in performance that have evolved over time.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good way to put it. I could honestly do with less of the "you're all terrible people" and variants of it as a compliment, but I think that's more of a Taliesin thing than a Percy thing.