• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
FkzsELr.png

A delightful, weekly Thursday night 5th Edition D&D show on the Geek and Sundry Twitch channel. Featuring prominent voice actors Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, Ashley Johnson, Sam Riegel, Liam O'Brien, Taliesin Jaffe and Marisha Ray as players, and the incomparable Matthew Mercer as Dungeon Master. If you like or are interested in actual play tabletop shows, this is easily one of the best examples, and is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

They have finished one 115 episode campaign with the party Vox Machina, and are currently in the middle of their second playing as The Mighty Nein.

So come watch these dorks:

Pretend to be these dorks:
and then these dorks:
S386zSK.jpg

1280px_m9landscapecompfinal3.png
In the theater of the mind!
Note: There are no costumes involved in the actual show.

Official Website:
(All the shows and podcasts can be found here, along with fan art and merchandise)
https://critrole.com/

Twitch Channel: (New episodes of CR every Thursday at 7pm Pacific Time)
(After show called Talks Machina on Tuesdays at 7pm):
https://www.twitch.tv/criticalrole

Official Youtubes:
(All episodes are now on CR's own Youtube channel, uploaded the Monday following episode premieres on twitch)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpXBGqwsBkpvcYjsJBQ7LEQ/featured

Our Discord:

Map of the current campaign's region, Wildemount:
cxNDWD3.jpg

02VRrar.jpg

If you're new and overwhelmed on where to begin, or what's even going on, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
CrittEra !!

If you wan't more information about characters motives, thoughts of players about what happened last episode and things like this, they do a little talk show named Talks Machina (every Tuesday at 7pm Pacific Time).

Concerning the next episode (second part of Taelsin One Shoot), where do you think they will go?

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping this discussion would come back.

I'm closing in on episode 100, and the mini-arc with Pike's family was effing great. I didn't know where it was going at first, and having Matt play two different daffy old gnomes in one episode was maybe pushing it, but it had such great pay off.

Vapidity

Oct 25, 2017
Internet
I've always been vaguely interested in this - is it something where it's worth it to go back all the way to the beginning to start at episode 1 and work your way to the current times?

Or, if I wanted to, could I jump in right at the current episode and still enjoy it?

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been vaguely interested in this - is it something where it's worth it to go back all the way to the beginning to start at episode 1 and work your way to the current times?

Or, if I wanted to, could I jump in right at the current episode and still enjoy it?

It's actually a great time to jump in. They're about to start their second campaign after playing the same one for the first 114 or 115 episodes (and a few years before the stream), so they'll have all new characters.

They're doing some one shots in the meantime (the DM, Matt, and one of the players, Marisha, just got married and are on their honeymoon) that should be easy to jump in on.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017

Well I'm a big fan so I'll say yes it's worth it!

But more seriously, I would say give it a try by watching first episodes of Chapter 3: episode 24, 25 and 26. It should give you an idea of the characters, the group dynamic and stuff like that. This chapter is a great arc so if you like the beginning it will be good all along.

The last episode on the youtube channel is the final episode that close the whole campaign. So I think it would be difficult to enjoy it if you don't really know the characters. I would not recommend it to a beginner.

They released episodes 1 to 55 in podcast format: http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/so you can just listen to them if you want.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Concerning the next episode (second part of Taelsin One Shoot), where do you think they will go?
I was so sure that Tal was going to have them play a game within a game once they got to the set at the end of the last session. I really have no idea where things are going from here since he seems to have wiped the board clear of a few things.

Laura's interaction with those people hiding under the desk was legit spooky, too!

I'm enjoying this meta "players playing themselves" game much more than Liam's because it isn't shifting settings and tones like his were. There's a lot of crazy stuff going on, but it all feels of one piece.

They released episodes 1 to 55 in podcast format: http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/so you can just listen to them if you want.
Thanks for mentioning the podcast, Kuldar. I had forgotten about it.

Added to the OP.

Courier 7

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just started the series. Around episode 12, I think
They just killed K'Varn

Really like Pike, Scanlan, and Grog. Like Tiberius too but it seems he likes to stay and hog the spotlight a bit. Long episodes are perfect to play at work and tune in/out or rewind as needed. It also scratches the DnD itch while I wait for my group's next session.

By the way, I remember a play-by-post was set up on the other place but I was way too late to join. I joined off the latest wave a couple hours ago. Is there another in the works?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting a little late on the VOD, but I love Sam's worried, painted-on eyebrows, haha.

And next week is going to be amazing!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 97. Fucking Keyleth.
i remember hearing about her jumping off a cliff, but that was even dumber than I thought it was going to be.

Professor Crate the Tiberius problem solves itself fairly quickly.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Haha I was going to make a OT if no one else did glad there is one up, I see some familiar faces hopefully we can convince some people to give it a go.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Sam weirdly reminds me of Jeff Gerstmann with his fake eyebrows, lol.
I'm on episode 97. Fucking Keyleth.
i remember hearing about her jumping off a cliff, but that was even dumber than I thought it was going to be.
It's so insane. I have no idea what cartoon logic she was using.

Laura reacting, and helping her with that coin made it even better.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic, the thread is here. I'm waiting anxiously for the new campaign. On a side note, Taliesin's vampire: the masquerade two-shot grew on me and I enjoyed it more this week. Fell asleep before the end though so I'll have to watch the rest on VOD

Theyran

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Missed last night, but looking forward to sitting down and watching it this weekend.

I saw Travis is DMing next week??

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I was getting into the Vampire game, but the ending came really fast and felt a little anticlimactic. Laura and Travis remain best couple.

Next week's should be a lot of fun. I wonder how Travis is actually going to run things. Will it be like playing Monopoly with little kids where it just devolves into Calvinball?

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man I already was looking forward to see Travis eventually take the DM helm for a game, but as Grog ?? Can't wait :D

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Matt and Marisha will probably still be honeymooning, but it would be really fun for Matt to play as Gilmore or Allura in Grog's game.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just recently started watching this series. Just finished episode 5 last night (these 3 hour episodes take awhile to get through) loving it through, I nearly died at the start of episode 6 with Scanlan in the new intro.

Matt Mercer is just amazing as a story teller. Hopefully one day I'll be current with you guys lol.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I just recently started watching this series. Just finished episode 5 last night (these 3 hour episodes take awhile to get through) loving it through, I nearly died at the start of episode 6 with Scanlan in the new intro.

Matt Mercer is just amazing as a story teller. Hopefully one day I'll be current with you guys lol.
Welcome to the fold!

It really just gets better and better as it goes.

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Always found the World of Darkness setting interesting from everything I heard about it, but never really had any urge to play a game in said setting. This two-shot kinda piqued my interest in doing so.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Always found the World of Darkness setting interesting from everything I heard about it, but never really had any urge to play a game in said setting. This two-shot kinda piqued my interest in doing so.
I've spent way too much time reading wiki entries on vampire clans in the past week as a result of this two-shot.

I've been meaning to give this a try as it's basically a bunch of my favorite VAs playing D&D but I've always put it off.

Guess I have time to catch up before the next campaign it seems so now seems as good a time as ever. Also, is it easier to go with podcasts or just watch the episodes?

It's rather fun looking at the cast and knowing that I've personally met a number of them at conventions.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
I would definitely go with watching them if possible. There's a lot going on with facial expressions, touching, wild flailing, etc. At least once Marisha plops backwards off of her chair haha.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to give this a try as it's basically a bunch of my favorite VAs playing D&D but I've always put it off.

Guess I have time to catch up before the next campaign it seems so now seems as good a time as ever. Also, is it easier to go with podcasts or just watch the episodes?

It's rather fun looking at the cast and knowing that I've personally met a number of them at conventions.

Im a avid fan I watch every episode just so I can see the impressions the small details and overall just being a more emotional journey being able to see it all play out, however not everyone has the time to sit down and watch that many hours of content so its up to how busy/how much time your willing to invest.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely watch when you're able to. The cast have tons of great non-audio interactions. No spoilers, but the most effective moment in the final battle (and the most effective moment in the entire series for me) wouldn't come across at all in audio only form.

Even when theres a scene or moment that I'm not enjoying, I can look to the other players who are feeling the same way as me for consolation, lol.

Im a avid fan I watch every episode just so I can see the impressions the small details and overall just being a more emotional journey being able to see it all play out, however not everyone has the time to sit down and watch that many hours of content so its up to how busy/how much time your willing to invest.

Definitely watch when you're able to. The cast have tons of great non-audio interactions. No spoilers, but the most effective moment in the final battle (and the most effective moment in the entire series for me) wouldn't come across at all in audio only form.

Even when theres a scene or moment that I'm not enjoying, I can look to the other players who are feeling the same way as me for consolation, lol.

Okay, I'll give watching a shot but might also download a podcast just to compare.

Thanks!

Khar

Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant, the CR thread made it over.

For me, it was the chatter and hype over the end of the campaign which intrigued me enough to start watching over the summer.

Since then I've watched the first 37 episodes and am definitely a fan. These nerds have given me many many laughs over these first 100+ hours.

I'm still catching up though I'm really looking forward to watching the new campaign in the new year along with the critters at large and CrittEra here

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant, the CR thread made it over.

For me, it was the chatter and hype over the end of the campaign which intrigued me enough to start watching over the summer.

Since then I've watched the first 37 episodes and am definitely a fan. These nerds have given me many many laughs over these first 100+ hours.

I'm still catching up though I'm really looking forward to watching the new campaign in the new year along with the critters at large and CrittEra here

critical-role-gif-6.gif

Sad we won't get more of Vox Machina....

But man these lovable dorks could play anything and make it entertaining, Im ready to start a journey from fresh and love whole new characters.

critical-role-gif-8.gif

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would definitely go with watching them if possible. There's a lot going on with facial expressions, touching, wild flailing, etc. At least once Marisha plops backwards off of her chair haha.

I definitely agree, can't imagine it audio only.

Laura cracks me up so much with her expressions when playing. She gets so into it.