• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we're about to get a multiple episode guest this time around with Ashley gone similar to Mary and Will in C1.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
One of the previous one's like Shakasta, Keg, or Nila might become this campaign's recurring guest.

The party really seems to want to make Shakasta happen.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
One of the previous one's like Shakasta, Keg, or Nila might become this campaign's recurring guest.

The party really seems to want to make Shakasta happen.

I think there is a really solid chance we see Nila again. I think she and her tribe are living in Cad's graveyard, so there is a good chance we'll see her again.

Keg has a possibility to come back, she's essentially just a sword for hire now, so Matt could insert her in a lot of different settings. Calianna could show up just about anywhere, but her actor lives in the UK so that kind of hurts her chances.

it would be great to see some of the guests show up again. I think most of them could grow into a really fun supporting cast. The real hurdle, outside of booking the actors, is that no one really has a good reason to be in Xhorhas.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a really solid chance we see Nila again. I think she and her tribe are living in Cad's graveyard, so there is a good chance we'll see her again.

Keg has a possibility to come back, she's essentially just a sword for hire now, so Matt could insert her in a lot of different settings. Calianna could show up just about anywhere, but her actor lives in the UK so that kind of hurts her chances.

it would be great to see some of the guests show up again. I think most of them could grow into a really fun supporting cast. The real hurdle, outside of booking the actors, is that no one really has a good reason to be in Xhorhas.

Mark was just in town not long ago, and they didn't do anything with Calianna when they could have. (He DM'd a MLP one shot instead.)

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Mark was just in town not long ago, and they didn't do anything with Calianna when they could have. (He DM'd a MLP one shot instead.)

I should watch that one sometime. But yeah, I think Matt would have a lot of trouble finding good narrative openings to have the guests show up outside of the Empire. Maybe they'll find their way into the story sometime in the near future.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Having just caught up on the latest ep and on the drama about how it went down, its kind of hilarious how much people unfamiliar with D&D are upset by the...i dunno audacity? of this, when having to come up with a conceited reason for a character to drop out because a players life is getting in the way of playing is one of the most common aspects of the average game of D&D.
And Matt has handled it a hell of a lot better that most dms would.

Also add me to the pile agreeing that this punished Yasha route is a hell of a lot cooler than the other ideas many (including me lol) were throwing around.

God i cant wait for her to come back and be able to actually stick around. Yasha is easily the character i like the most just via character archetype (heavy metal + tragic stoicism is a big win for me) and with Ashley in it for real with something of a fresh start when she comes back i have high hopes for that particular ship to really turn around.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
And Matt has handled it a hell of a lot better that most dms would.
Yeah, if people had seen some of the stuff me and a few other DMs I've known had done in similar situations, they'd have probably thrown up. I know this isn't a regular home game, but given how much people loved it, I don't think you can argue it didn't work well. Whether you were into it or not is probably just a matter of how much you're willing to suspend your disbelief.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Remember, no show tonight
giphy.gif

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Next week's Talks Machina is going to feature Travis and Matt. I hope we can get some insight into Oban's plan, and what the Laughing Hand is exactly. It's felt like a long wait, but I am excited to see what direction this group goes in.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Is ashley already gone then? Seems like she would have been a better guest to join matt for this talks. I don't know what travis can really say other than variations on "oh shit" and "that was crazy"

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Is ashley already gone then? Seems like she would have been a better guest to join matt for this talks. I don't know what travis can really say other than variations on "oh shit" and "that was crazy"

Yeah, I figure she's in New York by now, otherwise she would have been the obvious person to have on. Travis can maybe give some character insight into Fjord's reaction to Yasha's "betrayal", and his immediate reaction to run away from the whole situation, but I figure it will be Matt heavy episode.

Matt and Marisha also gave an interview recently that kind of implied they've got a project involving Ashley in the works. It might be her one shot, or something else, so that's kind of cool. It's kind of impressive to see how much content they've made for the channel in the past year even beyond the CR episodes.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I figure she's in New York by now, otherwise she would have been the obvious person to have on. Travis can maybe give some character insight into Fjord's reaction to Yasha's "betrayal", and his immediate reaction to run away from the whole situation, but I figure it will be Matt heavy episode.

Matt and Marisha also gave an interview recently that kind of implied they've got a project involving Ashley in the works. It might be her one shot, or something else, so that's kind of cool. It's kind of impressive to see how much content they've made for the channel in the past year even beyond the CR episodes.
shes gonna be DMing a one shot iirc, so that might be it

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone else's one shots: Just a fun thing to do on an off week

Ashley's one shot: The reward for an $8.8 million stretch goal

no pressure

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
That interview had to do with their responsibilities within the company. And they stopped themselves before saying what hers was because it was something they couldn't talk about yet. There's no way they were talking about a one shot.

Here's that section of the interview, which also explains Travis's role as CEO

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
That interview had to do with their responsibilities within the company. And they stopped themselves before saying what hers was because it was something they couldn't talk about yet. There's no way they were talking about a one shot.

Here's that section of the interview, which also explains Travis's role as CEO

I never would have thought Travis would be the CEO business leader, think I always have trouble separating Grog hahaha.

Unannounced Project...Maybe Ashley is using some of that Last Of us influence in the gaming space and trying to get working a Critical Role game.

Last edited:

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Yah they talked about travis being CEO and all their roles in the biz a while back during some of their kickstarter frenzy. I believe it! Big intimidating dude who's had to look out for hi.self as an actor now looks after all his friends too! Very grogg, honestly.

And wuuuuuut the fuck were they gonna day about ashley. My money is on a new show or so.ething of the sort on the channel... how the fuck would they swing a game? Unless it's like a 2d super paired down simple thing and not a full ass blown new rpg?... well fuck they could do like a baulders gate dlc type if situation. Thatd be wild.

No CR this week was a legit bummer. Hope they all had a great 4th

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ashley is clearly heading up Accounting and Finance with the number punching skills displayed in their KS video.

It's probably going to be a new aspect. A good number of them have more clout in the video game industry than her, and running actual development is a lot different than licensing their property out to a studio. If she were to be put up for heading some media in the company, I'd put money on music production since Sam is heading up the animated series on their end.

She may possibly also take on more directing, to have Marisha focus on production.

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They mentioned on the last Talks that it would be Ashley's last for a while. Safe to assume she probably left back for NY with in a day or two of the last episode.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, the puppet work in Yeehaw Game Ranch keeps escalating. It went from just Travis and Brian playing video games, to some kind of multidimensional story with maps and special effects, and gore. It is kind of amazing.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I need to find some youtube compilation of the skit stuff. I'm not really interested in watching the crew play video games, but this puppet lore is intriguing.

Also, this has been a really long two weeks.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I need to find some youtube compilation of the skit stuff. I'm not really interested in watching the crew play video games, but this puppet lore is intriguing.

Worst case you can probably just find a playlist of the vods and watch the first 5 minutes, that's pretty much where all the puppet stuff is

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

The puppet stuff is always at the beginning of the episodes, so if you want you can just watch the first couple minutes of each one. The puppets start showing up at episode 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
So excited (even though I have to wait til Friday evening as in UK)

I'd go crazy if I didn't host my own game every Thursday - last week we had them posing as a Waterdhavian pest control team talking about ants in the structure of a mansion they were casing

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I need to start watching again. I kind of fell off recently. Not really too invested in where they are currently at. Felt that the beacon aftermath was a little lackluster.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I need to start watching again. I kind of fell off recently. Not really too invested in where they are currently at. Felt that the beacon aftermath was a little lackluster.

I was pretty put-off by how minimal the impacts of that event were (I'm sure we'll be seeing big things happen later on of course due to that), but this most recent arc/dungeon crawl has been ace.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Not to spoil anything for PeskyToaster , but I think the group's about to start facing some consequences with the Dynasty after what just happened. theycan'tkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif not ironically.

Bright Queen: "You did WHAT!?"

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for something nasty to happen. Caduceus actually dead died, right? I think he was brought back a little too easily. Would've been hilarious if Nott/Sam killed Taliesin's character.

Deleted member 1190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think they actually did anything wrong/have nothing to worry about with the queen. They uncovered a plot and tried to stop it. It isn't like they went down there and intentionally freed Gigglefist themselves.

They just really need to not let Sam do the talking.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't think they actually did anything wrong/have nothing to worry about with the queen. They uncovered a plot and tried to stop it. It isn't like they went down there and intentionally freed Gigglefist themselves.

They just really need to not let Sam do the talking.
the whole thing depends on how they handle the Bright Queen imo...

If Fjord tells it, hes going to say that Yasha was a sleeper agent and she tricked them and betrayed the Dynasty and was working with Oban etc etc. And its going to make them look like idiots. They didnt even know why they were following the guy when he asked them lol, so they walked into an obvious trap for no reason.

Caleb needs to be the one to talk i think

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they're honest I think they'll be fine. Just tell the Queen that they went in expecting a Empire spy, but instead stumbled upon a demon in the middle of a plan to unleash a horror upon the world. And by the time they realized what they were really dealing with it was too late.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
My prediction: Caleb starts telling the truth and then Beau chimes in for no reason with a half-truth that everyone else has to back up which leads to a bunch of bullshit.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
So as much as I loved some aspects of the first campaign, I just couldn't get into listening on a weekly basis when it first started and fell off pretty fast. So I've skipped out on most of it and I just started the listening to the second campaign this week and holy crap is this dragging me in immediately. I don't know what's different this time around but everything about the characters, Matt's DMing, and just the flow of this campaign is so much more up my alley for whatever reason.

Nott has also become one of my absolute favorite characters in anything I've ever listened to and I'm terrified she's not going to make it through this campaign now...

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So as much as I loved some aspects of the first campaign, I just couldn't get into listening on a weekly basis when it first started and fell off pretty fast. So I've skipped out on most of it and I just started the listening to the second campaign this week and holy crap is this dragging me in immediately. I don't know what's different this time around but everything about the characters, Matt's DMing, and just the flow of this campaign is so much more up my alley for whatever reason.

Nott has also become one of my absolute favorite characters in anything I've ever listened to and I'm terrified she's not going to make it through this campaign now...
I usually recommend people start around 28 with the Whitestone arc of campaign 1 if they're losing interest in the early stuff. That's when the show and the group dynamic really snaps into place.

But I can see just preferring the second campaign's overall vibe too. It's much less straightforward and archetypal, for better and for worse.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I usually recommend people start around 28 with the Whitestone arc of campaign 1 if they're losing interest in the early stuff. That's when the show and the group dynamic really snaps into place.

But I can see just preferring the second campaign's overall vibe too. It's much less straightforward and archetypal, for better and for worse.
I may go back and try again once I've caught up on this campaign, so I'll definitely keep that in mind... though at the pace I'm currently going, that's going to take a while. If nothing else I'm glad to know there's all that backlog to fall back on if I do manage to catch up.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I may go back and try again once I've caught up on this campaign, so I'll definitely keep that in mind... though at the pace I'm currently going, that's going to take a while. If nothing else I'm glad to know there's all that backlog to fall back on if I do manage to catch up.
Yeah, having a backlog of CR to fall back on is a good thing to have. Waiting week to week can be rough.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
As long as they're honest I think they'll be fine. Just tell the Queen that they went in expecting a Empire spy, but instead stumbled upon a demon in the middle of a plan to unleash a horror upon the world. And by the time they realized what they were really dealing with it was too late.

That's what they should do but knowing them and their characters they will believe that it would be the worst case possible and potentially act rashly because of that. If Matt has the attack they warned about happen then that would buy them a some leeway for sure, it all depends on how he wants things to go (and that may depend on any consequences for Oban's "death").

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Would the party tell the queen about Yasha's actions? I would imagine Jester wouldn't no matter what or misdirect the Bright Queen since she's the one with the Sending spell. Caleb looking like he's the only one that would insist on telling everything to the Bright Queen