• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they just do a Sending to the BQ and then just head off for the Wildmother kiln.

Convey only the necessary information "we pursued one of the leaders conspiring against the dynasty. He released a powerful demon. Prepare yourselves. We're seeking a solution to the north. Bye."

Nott's husband is the only thing that throws a wrench in their ability to go off and figure things out themselves consequence free. That dude's getting thrown in prison or worse if they don't play their cards right, but I'm also not interested in them trekking back across the desert to relay the news in person.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
They need to have a face to face with someone. Whether that's Essek or the Bright Queen. But just using a sending spell and bouncing makes them look guilty as fuck.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they just do a Sending to the BQ and then just head off for the Wildmother kiln.

Convey only the necessary information "we pursued one of the leaders conspiring against the dynasty. He released a powerful demon. Prepare yourselves. We're seeking a solution to the north. Bye."

Nott's husband is the only thing that throws a wrench in their ability to go off and figure things out themselves consequence free. That dude's getting thrown in prison or worse if they don't play their cards right, but I'm also not interested in them trekking back across the desert to relay the news in person.

Hasn't Caleb learned to teleport the party, and I think there's a teleportation circle in their tree house?

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Caleb learned to teleport the party, and I think there's a teleportation circle in their tree house?
I think he started one, but a permanent teleportation circle takes like a year.

They could go back to the one right outside the Bright Queen's chamber that they used when they first arrived, but being trapped in the most high security area of the city when they break the bad news seems risky.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I think he started one, but a permanent teleportation circle takes like a year.

They could go back to the one right outside the Bright Queen's chamber that they used when they first arrived, but being trapped in the most high security area of the city when they break the bad news seems risky.

It might be risky, but they can pretty easily blame the Emipire/Assembly for this whole situation. If they ask what happened to Yasha, all they have to say is that she didn't make it out of the temple. It won't even be a lie. The real worry is that telling the BQ what happened will probably lead her to escalate her attacks on the Empire.

Still, knowing this group, there is a solid chance they just teleport back to the coast, and then the rest of the episode is shopping.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Still, knowing this group, there is a solid chance they just teleport back to the coast, and then the rest of the episode is shopping.
Lol, well at least we'll get a dramatic tear-filled scene about losing their friend and being betrayed before they go off to haggle potion prices.
and by "haggle" I of course mean threaten the vendor's life

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, the puppet work in Yeehaw Game Ranch keeps escalating. It went from just Travis and Brian playing video games, to some kind of multidimensional story with maps and special effects, and gore. It is kind of amazing.
Just watched the opening puppet stuff and oh my god I was not expecting that.

ENJOY BROFORCE, YOU FUCKING LOSERS

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Well Liam is Skyping in from Jersey tonight so don't count on Caleb smoothing things over.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Critical Role getting professional now, no more having someone skying in on an ipad, we get a fancy camera feed

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
"Well we can at least stay a day here first before we go back"

translation: "We will waste half the episode on a shopping trip and doing mostly fuck all"

Gilgamesh

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, Al
Everyone: Let's listen to the her and not incite panic

one hour later

Everyone: Let's start a whisper campaign because we've already forgotten what we agreed to not do.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I'm behind and have to take a break, but I have to say I fucking hate this weird "the Bright Queen is a crazy war monger" thing that keeps getting floated.

Everyone seems to be on the same honesty page except for Fjord and Beau, and their reasoning seems to be "but what if we introduced conflict into this situation instead of telling the truth?" Also, funny that Fjord was mad at Caleb for revealing the dodecahedron because he thought they could somehow sneak it past the guards and escape prison, but now he's terrified of going to prison? For very flimsy reasons. Step 1 to not getting imprisoned: Stop saying "we unleashed a demon" when you actually didn't

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm behind and have to take a break, but I have to say I fucking hate this weird "the Bright Queen is a crazy war monger" thing that keeps getting floated.

Everyone seems to be on the same honesty page except for Fjord and Beau, and their reasoning seems to be "but what if we introduced conflict into this situation instead of telling the truth?" Also, funny that Fjord was mad at Caleb for revealing the dodecahedron because he thought they could somehow sneak it past the guards and escape prison, but now he's terrified of going to prison? For very flimsy reasons. Step 1 to not getting imprisoned: Stop saying "we unleashed a demon" when you actually didn't

Almost every choice they are making is crazy. They really should just tell their version of the truth, and request permission to research a way to kill the Laughing Hand.

As for the warmonger thing, I think it is a gross exaggeration, but I kind of get the mindset. The Dynasty essentially orchestrated a terrorist attack on a city to get an artifact, and then declared war by seizing a border garrison. When asked what she hopes to achieve with this war she is kind of vague and speaks about cycles of violence, but never once gives a sense of what the Dynasty's end goal is. That doesn't make her a warmonger by any means, but the whole conflict is kind of nebulous. If the M9 knew exactly what her endgame is, or what she would consider a victory, they probably would help just to end the open warfare.

Szeth

Oct 25, 2017
So I always thought Jester randomly turning into Vex that one time was the most ridiculous and out of character thing that has happened in C2. I was surprised she didn't get more crap for it but I guess it makes sense since everyone loves Laura, but I'm glad she didn't return to that and played Jester trying to disguise herself and do accents more realistically this time.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
As for the warmonger thing, I think it is a gross exaggeration, but I kind of get the mindset. The Dynasty essentially orchestrated a terrorist attack on a city to get an artifact, and then declared war by seizing a border garrison. When asked what she hopes to achieve with this war she is kind of vague and speaks about cycles of violence, but never once gives a sense of what the Dynasty's end goal is. That doesn't make her a warmonger by any means, but the whole conflict is kind of nebulous. If the M9 knew exactly what her endgame is, or what she would consider a victory, they probably would help just to end the open warfare.
I guess so, but it's also one of those things where they don't try to clarify or get more information, and instead assume the worst and proceed as if that's the fact.

It just often seems like Beau and Fjord are contrarian in these group discussion for the sake of it. Always vaguely "I don't like how this is going/how that went" but not offering anything in the way of solutions or solid reasoning against it. Beau because SHE DOESN'T LIKE AUTHORITY or is just sort of thinking out loud on her way to a point, and Fjord because Travis seems to forget the plot points from week to week and ignores a lot of context. Like, I get that introducing conflict is good for storytelling, but we don't need it at every turn.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I guess so, but it's also one of those things where they don't try to clarify or get more information, and instead assume the worst and proceed as if that's the fact.

It just often seems like Beau and Fjord are contrarian in these group discussion for the sake of it. Always vaguely "I don't like how this is going/how that went" but not offering anything in the way of solutions or solid reasoning against it. Beau because SHE DOESN'T LIKE AUTHORITY or is just sort of thinking out loud on her way to a point, and Fjord because Travis seems to forget the plot points from week to week and ignores a lot of context. Like, I get that introducing conflict is good for storytelling, but we don't need it at every turn.

I totally agree with that. I don't fault them for not trusting the BQ, or having doubts about the Dynasty, but when they don't do anything with those doubts it can get grating. It seems like the group is not getting too bogged down by their broad skepticism, and that is a good sign.

I'm going to miss the death cats though. Given how often they forget the people and animals in their care, it is a miracle that Kiri survived.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
it's unreal how much fun Caduceus is compared to Percy/Molly. It has truly elevated Taliesin into a new tier

edit: to me!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The poor moorebounders. And poor Jester. She keeps on losing everything she cares about.
She's going to lose Nugget too from starvation if she forgets to take him to Nicodramas since no one will be left in the house.... Unless she decides to bring the puppy far north lol.

Of course that will be the least of their worries if the guards watching their house beat Dairon's stealth roll. Absolute worst place for meeting a spy, if the guards report something you know the Dynasty will scry on them so Matt can use one of the party's favorite spells against them.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The interaction with the bright queen reminded me so much of a previous game I was running. High up commander of front line forces was facilitating a war in this crazy jungle the party was setting up a camp outside of and making excursions into the area to investigate all the weirdness coming out the place.
Like 3 members of my 4 man party were constantly fucking insight checking dude, trying to sneak around the camp to spy on him, holding back info, telling little white lies for no godamned reason hoping to keep their goals entirely obscured behind whatever...
Campaign ends up falling to pieces and one of them asks after the fact:
"So how evil was Carzun really? Was he like really the big bad or what was going on?"

No you fuckin fools he was actually full on proud of all of you and had been throwing his support behind your team for the entire time we were playing. The reason he hadn't told them all of the info behind the scenes they had been collecting on what was going on inside the forest? NOBODY ASKED

Players man... straight up crazy people 9 times outta 10.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
The ending of the episode was kinda funny when I think of it. Dairon does a big exaggerated cartwheel over their front lawns fence. Because that's totally not conspicuous or anything. Real stealthy there. lol

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the M9 really start to seem like sulky teenagers in retrospect when they actually come into contact with the Bright Queen. Like that teenage friend who is always complaining about their parents, and then you go over to their house and realize they're really well off, get a big allowance and whatever they want, and their parents are actually nice to them, but they're still like "ugh, mom! what do you want?". Like, where is this animosity and distrust coming from? lol
The ending of the episode was kinda funny when I think of it. Dairon does a big exaggerated cartwheel over their front lawns fence. Because that's totally not conspicuous or anything. Real stealthy there. lol
It was over the rooftop balcony, but your point still stands

Maybe Beau isn't the exception to her monk order, and they all are just really conspicuous spies 🤔

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the M9 really start to seem like sulky teenagers in retrospect when they actually come into contact with the Bright Queen. Like that teenage friend who is always complaining about their parents, and then you go over to their house and realize they're really well off, get a big allowance and whatever they want, and their parents are actually nice to them, but they're still like "ugh, mom! what do you want?". Like, where is this animosity and distrust coming from? lol
In a meta sense, everyone knows the Bright Queen won't be "the good guy"

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe they told the truth
Praise Caduceus Clay, of the Savalierwood Clays

At least Fjord put it out there "If I talk, I'm just going to lie to her, so somebody else do it". People aren't usually so honest about their honesty problems, lol
In a meta sense, everyone knows the Bright Queen won't be "the good guy"
All of the larger forces in this campaign seem grey at best, and I'd personally prefer the characters dig up reasons in game for not trusting people rather than players looking at meta archetypes, because that's lame.

Grexeno

Oct 25, 2017
All of the larger forces in this campaign seem grey at best, and I'd personally prefer the characters dig up reasons in game for not trusting people rather than players looking at meta archetypes, because that's lame.
I think the fact that she's completely in for indiscriminate Empire destruction is perfectly fine as a reason

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I like that some of cast seem to actively be trying not to meta game the Yasha turn. I don't know how much of it will stick, but I enjoy them at least playing with the idea that Yasha might actually just be evil instead of giving her the Player Character Free Pass.

They were honest with the Queen like they should have been and it worked out. Who woulda thought? I'll say that until the Queen mentioned it, I had TOTALLY forgot about the Scourgers and the ambushes being launched by the Empire.

I fucking cheered when Jester called out the group on them wanting to do then exact thing the Queen just told them NOT to do. And then Fjord went and tried to do it anyway. smh

Jester getting Traveler Con moved to a goddamn volcano is the most Jester thing ever. I hope the Dust family is ready to host a Convention.

Yoooooo at that Cad lore drop. Also that sword seems cool as hell.

That scene with Caleb and the Scourger... Everyone just waiting to see if it was Astrid or not. Crazy.

Dairon just showing up in the middle of the night all pissed. There's no way she didn't know they were already there. She's supposed to be a spy and she didn't connect the dots of the weird group that moved into town recently. It's not like they've been keeping a low profile.

Now off to Nicodranas. Let's see if Sam pulls a Scanlan and has Nott leave the party to be with her family.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fact that she's completely in for indiscriminate Empire destruction is perfectly fine as a reason
I think we all know it's more complicated than that, and the Empire is equally antagonistic and is stealing their holy relics and attacking the Dyanasty as well. The Dynasty isn't the only one playing for keeps, don't believe all that Empire propaganda
I like that some of cast seem to actively be trying not to meta game the Yasha turn. I don't know how much of it will stick, but I enjoy them at least playing with the idea that Yasha might actually just be evil instead of giving her the Player Character Free Pass.

They were honest with the Queen like they should have been and it worked out. Who woulda thought? I'll say that until the Queen mentioned it, I had TOTALLY forgot about the Scourgers and the ambushes being launched by the Empire.

That scene with Caleb and the Scourger... Everyone just waiting to see if it was Astrid or not. Crazy.

Dairon just showing up in the middle of the night all pissed. There's no way she didn't know they were already there. She's supposed to be a spy and she didn't connect the dots of the weird group that moved into town recently. It's not like they've been keeping a low profile.

Now off to Nicodranas. Let's see if Sam pulls a Scanlan and has Nott leave the party to be with her family.
Yeah, but not everybody's on the same page about the meta-ness. Nott mentioned maybe grabbing Yasha and trying to restoration her, but Beau and Fjord just scoffed like the idea was completely impossible. They've all been possessed and charmed before, it seems odd for them to all just give up right away. I like Jester playing out the emotional beats on the whole party's behalf.

It's stuff like the scourgers being sent that annoys me when people frame it like the dynasty are nasty scheming evil people when they are fighting an equally aggressive force. Maybe it's just tripping my fantasy racism alarms when everyone's going to "they're being nice to us, but these evil darkies actually want to destroy our civilization and convert us to their backwards religion." mind frame. "The empire's stealing their shit and trying to exterminate them, but to be fair, they are fighting back, so, y'know..." The tropes that some are falling into in the party feel pretty icky, especially considering most of them don't have loyalty to the empire anyway

That scene in the dungeon was great. I wish Liam was there in person so that we could hear him—and his clever performance choice of speaking without an accent when speaking in Zemnian— more clearly. The call in awkwardness worked out for the part at the end when Caleb was trying to get everyone to have a drink together though, lol. "Are you going to kill us or something?"

Looking forward to Beau's talking to. I have to imagine there are spies and neighbors that will catch a view of Dairon or hear Beau screaming IM A SPY, DAIRON at some point.

I think Nott's in it for the long haul so that she can be turned back into her old self by Caleb. It would be kind of nice for her to leave with her family, but I think there's too much self hatred and body dysmorphia for her to actually accept her goblin form and settle down. At least they figured out somewhere for her family to go, and they didn't get the pet treatment. And now Nott and Jester's family are in the same place. Sure would be a shame if something happened to it *Matt rolls behind screen*