• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Why not True Polymorph?
I don't think you can use True Polymorph to change races.. or at the very least the GM Community and the rules are split 50/50 on the matter. I will say though that the one thing working in its favour is that its a 9th level spell and if it doesn't work, the player can just cast Wish the next day and force it to work reguardless. So there isn't much point in actually fighting it.

Edit: Also, as Brashnir said. It can be dispelled. So really, the better option is casting the Reincarnation spell through Wish so that it could be specifically directed to be a Halfling.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
You would need to cast dispel at 9th level. By that point, Nott/Veth can just retire to a life with her family. How many level 20 wizards will she run into while living a life as a normal person?

Or roll well. 17th+ level characters run into things that can dispel pretty regularly. It could even happen by accident trying to dispel something else.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You would need to cast dispel at 9th level. By that point, Nott/Veth can just retire to a life with her family. How many level 20 wizards will she run into while living a life as a normal person?
Not exactly. You can dispell it at a lower level if you get lucky with your roll. There would be a risk of instant dispel and death every time she came into contact with an item or area that dispells magic.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly. You can dispell it at a lower level if you get lucky with your roll. There would be a risk of instant dispel and death every time she came into contact with an item or area that dispells magic.

Sure, I understand. However, its the endgame for Veth. True Polymorph, make it permanent and then retire. No risk of getting dispelled while raising a kid and doing whatever she wants to do.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This has been a really cheerful episode. I don't trust it, I feel like Matt is going to pull something soon.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit I don't remember who either of the letter senders are. But Matt did a great job and that letter was wonderful.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
IMO Matt was being too agreeable in Yezza and Luke's reactions to Nott leaving. A guy who just got reunited with his family being okay with Veth going off to fight in wars and dangerous monsters for some unknown period of time? I just don't see it going down that way. I don't know, there was just a lack of emotion in that scene.

Oh god, they're using her real name, why would they use her real name? This is spycraft 101.

Yeah I thought the same. Is Dairon even a name that would check out as normal for a Drow? They screwed up there.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
IMO Matt was being too agreeable in Yezza and Luke's reactions to Nott leaving. A guy who just got reunited with his family being okay with Veth going off to fight in wars and dangerous monsters for some unknown period of time? I just don't see it going down that way. I don't know, there was just a lack of emotion in that scene.

Yeah I thought the same. Is Dairon even a name that would check out as normal for a Drow? They screwed up there.

I appreciate that Matt was trying to make it easy for Sam to keep Nott as part of the group, but I thought he did it in kind of a weird way. I figured it would be more of a financial decision. Yezza can't work as an alchemist anymore without running the risk of the Empire finding out he's still alive and seizing him to work on their experiments again. As it is, the whole situation worked itself out a little easily.

Dairon in the Dynasty is an interesting plot hook. It could come back to bite them in the ass, or could provide useful information. I hope the M9 do eventually return to the empire to root out some demon spies, that sounds like a really fun story idea.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Some of these conversations were super necessary and obvious but still managed to be a little stiff and awkward.

Beau and Dairon was just like...so strange. Neither one being decisive or clear about anything. Beau being all freaked out and timid in her tone but totally wish washy in her decisions. Yeza and Nott were sweet but that felt more like matt and co wanting to be done for the night.
"Does your character need to be told to leave for this to make sense?"
"Yup."
"Ok leave. Also I love you!"

But maybe it's just cause they are right up against some wild shit and I'm super impatient lol

Also beau is the worst spy ever.
"It would be bad for the empire. Which is us. We are the empire. Spies like us....from the empire."

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
It was a fine episode. It was a little disappointing that Dairon let Beau off the hook so easily. Their last conversation made it seem like Dairon had some real hatred for the Dynasty, so to kind of handwave it seemed off. Could be that Dairon's just playing Beau. I don't know if any of the cast picked it up, but after Beau had basically gotten Dairon to say that the CS was supposed to be neutral, Dairon kept referring to the Dynasty as the Enemy. Also, I may have missed it at some point, but what pronouns does Dairon use? The cast was kind of all over the place and it left me confused.

I didn't have a problem with them introducing Dairon with their real name. It's not like there's a computer database you can comb through. No one is going to connect those dots.

The stuff with Yeza and Luc was good. I did think Matt let Sam off the hook at the end, but Sam basically asked him to give Nott the okay to stay. It was fine.

I don't know if Travis was sick or something, but Fjord said maybe two sentences the entire game.

The Caliana stuff was great. That letter to Caleb was really good. I'll have to check Reddit to see if Laura posted her letter.

Also I know it's been said a million times, but oh my god the fanart from the community is soo good. I only get to watch the VoD, so sometimes I'll skip the breaks. This week I watched and there are some talented people in the community.

May 9, 2019
Australia
It was a fine episode. It was a little disappointing that Dairon let Beau off the hook so easily. Their last conversation made it seem like Dairon had some real hatred for the Dynasty, so to kind of handwave it seemed off. Could be that Dairon's just playing Beau. I don't know if any of the cast picked it up, but after Beau had basically gotten Dairon to say that the CS was supposed to be neutral, Dairon kept referring to the Dynasty as the Enemy. Also, I may have missed it at some point, but what pronouns does Dairon use? The cast was kind of all over the place and it left me confused.

The Dairon stuff is kind of a longstanding problem I've had with this campaign where it feels like there's no actual consequences to most of the M9's actions.

Now they've pretty much joined up with The Bright Queen and Dairon isn't furious? I get the Yeza and Nott situation but that Dairon conversation was beyond disappointing with how they were built up to hate The Dynasty.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
The Dairon stuff is kind of a longstanding problem I've had with this campaign where it feels like there's no actual consequences to most of the M9's actions.

Now they've pretty much joined up with The Bright Queen and Dairon isn't furious? I get the Yeza and Nott situation but that Dairon conversation was beyond disappointing with how they were built up to hate The Dynasty.
Honestly the only thing I can think of is that Dairon is just playing Beau.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the only thing I can think of is that Dairon is just playing Beau.

That is kind of a real possibility. I don't think it will be their first choice, but I think Dairon will do whatever it takes to complete her mission. That or Dairon gets caught and Beau has to let them get executed to keep her cover. One way or another I think there can be some good personal consequences.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping Dairon was gonna insist more to get one of the Sigils, but I guess Matt felt that Marisha was pushing back hard on it. As soon as they said "we only got the one and I'm human in these lands" that discussion was kinda over.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
if youve played on roll20 do you know if i have to make a character first or does the dm give you one? ive never played before but i want to try it

the DM has to give you one, they create the character sheet and then pass out permissions. It's fun, but pretty hit and miss. I would recommend just to keep trying and not get disheartened if you have a bad group. Find one that best fits how you want to play and then just keep looking. Good luck!

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a lot more luck find groups through Discord and other sites. /r/lfg is a great start, go for communities in the pinned post and start find groups from there - it's a lot more reliable to find a good group. The roll20 LFG boards is one of the worst places to find a group in my experience.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a lot more luck find groups through Discord and other sites. /r/lfg is a great start, go for communities in the pinned post and start find groups from there - it's a lot more reliable to find a good group. The roll20 LFG boards is one of the worst places to find a group in my experience.
im so shy though 🙈

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been binge-watching Campaign 2(I'll start 1 once I'm caught up). Gotta say, I never thought I would enjoy this but I love it so much. My first foray into watching other people play tabletop RPGs was LA By Night after Bloodlines 2 was announced. I started Critical Role shortly after Baldur's Gate 3 was announced, and I am addicted. Currently on episode 36 and getting through at least one per day, usually 2 if it's a slow day at work and I don't have to hit pause every 5 minutes.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm making my way through Between the Sheets and it's so goddamn good?!

Jesus christ, the first ones are all great and amazing, but the sexual assault-part of Marisha's interview and the brutal openness of Matt's interview is absolutely breaking me.

One of my main take-aways from watching these interviews is how completely blown away I keep getting by all the guys in the group, and the role-models they are for what healthy masculinity looks like in 2019. I can't really put it into words any better than this Reddit-post from a month ago so I'll just link it:

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, finally caught up.

Nott and Caleb's scenes were the best stuff. The Dairon conversation and resolution felt pretty limp, and after using her real name, they might never see her again. It's kind of weird that master spy Dairon is just as surly and bad at keeping a cover as Beau is, lol. I'm ready for them to be back out adventuring and off of skype next week.
im so shy though 🙈
Don't worry, this thread will probably evolve into a D&D campaign at some point along the way.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Nott and Caleb's scenes were the best stuff. The Dairon conversation and resolution felt pretty limp, and after using her real name, they might never see her again. It's kind of weird that master spy Dairon is just as surly and bad at keeping a cover as Beau is, lol. I'm ready for them to be back out adventuring and off of skype next week.

It will be very interesting to see how Dairon manages while the group is away. The slip up with her name could get her caught. I have to hope she is better at maintaining a cover when she isn't surrounded by the literal chaos that is the M9. I just hope she lives long enough to provide introductions for them in the Empire, just because I would love to see them go on a demon spy hunt in a big city.

Don't worry, this thread will probably evolve into a D&D campaign at some point along the way.

That would be kind of amazing, but the commitment to DM an online group must be pretty hard.