• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i spent all week waiting for this episode and fell asleep like 30 minutes before it started and didnt wake up until 15 minutes ago im gonna cry

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the chained oblivion was the obvious guess but its still real bad. What the fuck is Oban planning, to destroy the divine gate?

So this Chained Oblivion sounds like bad news. Is he just another Betrayer God or another Vecna?

He is the big bad evil god. He is the one that hurt Ioun and took her out of comission, he is the one so powerful that the other gods could not beat and had to invent the banishment ritual that VM used on Vecna. Chained oblivion was able to hold back multiple other gods simultaneously, would make Vecna look like an ant. He is so powerful that the gods invented the divine gate to stop him. They willingly and permanently removed themselves from the world just so he could never come back. He is not Sauron, he is Morgoth.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Reading up on the Chained Oblivion... he's so bad that if freed the good AND THE EVIL GODS would probably unite against him because he literally wants to destroy the entire universe, not rule it.

So..... bad news. very bad news.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the chained oblivion was the obvious guess but its still real bad. What the fuck is Oban planning, to destroy the divine gate?

He is the big bad evil god. He is the one that hurt Ioun and took her out of comission, he is the one so powerful that the other gods could not beat and had to invent the banishment ritual that VM used on Vecna. Chained oblivion was able to hold back multiple other gods simultaneously, would make Vecna look like an ant. He is so powerful that the gods invented the divine gate to stop him. They willingly and permanently removed themselves from the world just so he could never come back. He is not Sauron, he is Morgoth.

Thanks. Wow, this thing is insane. Stopping whatever Oban is planning to do just jumped to the absolute top of the global priority order. Hell if any government finds out that the Empire even tangentially helped him, that could justify deposing a monarch. This is all really exciting. These 4 episodes in the Happy Fun Ball really kicked the story into gear.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Man, last night's episode was really good. Outside of Nott's dumb move I was actually really impressed with the M9 for being cautious and approaching their situations in a pretty smart fashion.

While the past handful of episodes have been really good, I'm kinda concerned the gang has sidelined some of the other conflicts to focus on one. They've been gone like...a month now? That's more than enough time for a war to really turn sour for one side. It's kinda like taking a day for yourself only to jump back into the regular routine and all your problems are still there.

Laura's outfit was dope. I'm really looking forward to Caduceus The Flash fan art.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, last night's episode was really good. Outside of Nott's dumb move I was actually really impressed with the M9 for being cautious and approaching their situations in a pretty smart fashion.

While the past handful of episodes have been really good, I'm kinda concerned the gang has sidelined some of the other conflicts to focus on one. They've been gone like...a month now? That's more than enough time for a war to really turn sour for one side. It's kinda like taking a day for yourself only to jump back into the regular routine and all your problems are still there.

Laura's outfit was dope. I'm really looking forward to Caduceus The Flash fan art.

Theyve been "gone" for longer. They spent a month on the road to Zadash, only to bamf as soon as they got there and then go to Oban. At least this month of time got them many, many things.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Hey guys, it's me again with another update. Finished Campaign 12, Episode 12 and I'll just say that I fucking love Matt's ability to step on the gas after a careful buildup. What a man! Loved the ending on this one, reminded me of one of C1's greatest moments ("that one" in Omens) in terms of "oh shit, what the fuck is going on?!"

I've been warming up to Beau, too. Maybe Marisha changed the portrayal a bit (unsurprising, because they're all figuring out their characters as they move along) but she's been far less an abrasive dick and more of an awkward try-hard that is capable of being 100% cool when she's not trying to be one, and failing to do so when she explicitly wants to. It's a hilarious contrast.

But still, Jester and Nott are the fucking highlights... and Fjord/Caleb/Molly are not far behind, tbh. Sadly Yasha remains a non-entity (for obvious reasons) but it's OK when the rest of the party is memorable in terms of characterization. Loved the absurdity in C2E12 of their "hospital infiltration" plan, and I loved the smutty bookstore shit in E11 (Tusk Love? Fucking glorious. EDUBATION!)

All in all, I think I'm warming up a lot to the Mighty NEEEEEIIIIIN. I think I'm gonna watch the Vox Machina one shots soon, though, I'm still feeling that tinge of nostalgia, of wanting to go back, but the wound has closed a bit.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, it's me again with another update. Finished Campaign 12, Episode 12 and I'll just say that I fucking love Matt's ability to step on the gas after a careful buildup. What a man! Loved the ending on this one, reminded me of one of C1's greatest moments ("that one" in Omens) in terms of "oh shit, what the fuck is going on?!"

I've been warming up to Beau, too. Maybe Marisha changed the portrayal a bit (unsurprising, because they're all figuring out their characters as they move along) but she's been far less an abrasive dick and more of an awkward try-hard that is capable of being 100% cool when she's not trying to be one, and failing to do so when she explicitly wants to. It's a hilarious contrast.

But still, Jester and Nott are the fucking highlights... and Fjord/Caleb/Molly are not far behind, tbh. Sadly Yasha remains a non-entity (for obvious reasons) but it's OK when the rest of the party is memorable in terms of characterization. Loved the absurdity in C2E12 of their "hospital infiltration" plan, and I loved the smutty bookstore shit in E11 (Tusk Love? Fucking glorious. EDUBATION!)

All in all, I think I'm warming up a lot to the Mighty NEEEEEIIIIIN. I think I'm gonna watch the Vox Machina one shots soon, though, I'm still feeling that tinge of nostalgia, of wanting to go back, but the wound has closed a bit.

Pretty soon Yasha starts getting some personality and development, but overall it's one of the underwhelming elements of the show as Ashley is just not around enough to give her a consistent presence while also relearning the game and character/playing catch up with others' developments. There's a lot of cool stuff ahead for her though.

Glad you're continuing to make great progress in the show. You may overtake me soon (on 23).

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Pretty soon Yasha starts getting some personality and development, but overall it's one of the underwhelming elements of the show as Ashley is just not around enough to give her a consistent presence while also relearning the game and character/playing catch up with others' developments. There's a lot of cool stuff ahead for her though.

it's still cool to know that she'll get a bit more spotlight. She's always a welcome presence when she's in the show but it's like... not enough appareances :(

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
it's still cool to know that she'll get a bit more spotlight. She's always a welcome presence when she's in the show but it's like... not enough appareances :(

Well, Blindspot is about to broadcast it's last season. So she should be available much more often soon enough. So there's that.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Well, Blindspot is about to broadcast it's last season. So she should be available much more often soon enough. So there's that.

ohhh, had no idea. Procedurals are 100% not my thing so I didn't even know Blindspot was ending. Huh.

At least it could mean more Ashley in CR for a while. It's something :D

(gonna take me a while to get up to date though hahaha)

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

depending on whether I get burnt out or not and start to space out the episodes, and if I get even less time... it'd probably take me around a year, more or less.

It took me a little bit over a year to watch C1 (including a stretch where I only watched like 2 episodes in a whole month, or so) and that's including Talks Machina and some of the one shots (both Liam's Quests) so... I dunno, it's probably gonna be close to that, probably. But it's gonna be fucking weird for me to finally get caught up and realize I'll have to wait a whole damn week for another CR episode :P

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Yep, this is a very well put description of why she is my fav

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
Loved that Nott died because Jester told her to loot the chest. Too bad they are at a level where dying is not that of a big deal but hey, it was fun to watch.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

I think (maybe?) I might've been a bit right when I said that Marisha kinda "overcorrected" Keyleth with Beau at first - like, she tried really hard to make this character a cool, "not-giving-a-fuck", "leave-me-alone-losers" type of girl that she somehow ended up missing the mark and landed into the same thing that plagued Keyleth from a different perspective: social awkwardness. And she probably realized along the way that her actual attempts of looking cool in-character were botched due to bad rolls (hilarious) or just led to uncomfortable silences from NPCs so she tweaked the character a bit - she's still this girl that says, so much, that she doesn't give a fuck... but deep inside she does. And she opens up just a tiny bit.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Chained oblivion hype. They are learning a ton and all played pretty damn well this evening. No needless fighting or really stupid decisions except Nott being a complete doof in the prison. I think it's about time - if Sam isn't going to just make the decision after almost being permadead multiple times from traps - for Caleb to sit her down and say straight up "for the sake of us as a team and you and I as friends you need to cut this stupid inferior rogue garbo out. Like who doesn't check for traps in a death maze dungeon prison, really!?"

I'm still not positive that's on purpose but i have to say that Beau attempting to sound smart/intimidating/sassy or basically any trait that Beau has ever shown in this game against Matt's smarter characters is a hilariously mismatched encounter. It's like watching a parent have a conversation with their kid.

All good stuff here. I'm almost dreading the couple of weeks directly after Ashley gets back to the show. It's gonna be in the middle of some heavy duty story stuff and she's gonna be "ok ok ok ok ok ok"ing here way through her character sheet the whole night lol

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't want to sound shitty about this, but Marisha just does not come across as "wise" or "intelligent" enough to play either of those archetypes in the traditional sense. She is much better at sniffing bullshit and getting in peoples faces. Her Beau works incredible when she is brash as hell and willing to muscle through a situation, like Avantica and the pirate king. I hope she finds a different way to make her character's intelligence come through than just trying to be smarmy about it. Like, you can play Beau's increased intelligence as giving her photographic memory and she suddenly remembers every lesson from the Cobalt soul where she was barely paying attention or remember every book shes ever skimmed.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if Sam is making a character choice or if he's just forgetting, but jesus christ please check for traps. It's the whole function of your class. This deep into the campaign we should be past this kinda stuff by now. The only excuse I could think would be that she was super distracted by Halas and getting her body back that she forgot.

Beau works in small doses. She is not the Talker of the group and it really shows in episodes like this.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The "Sam doesn't check for traps" thing was honestly the second moment this episode where I was kinda annoyed by the players going for levity over actually analyzing the situation they're in. The first was Nott + Jester not paying attention at all to Calebs warnings about the ruby. I get that it's their homegame and it's more fun if they have fun, but Liams visible frustration over Sam and Laura goofing around did come through clearly, even if it might've mostly been in character.

Honestly, I find Jester's schtick to wear a bit thin at times. The whole "the relationship with the Traveler is actually kinda fucked up if you stop and think about it" angle only works if you ever so often break from the chaos and deal with it, which I guess Travelercon is a great opportunity to do, but recently her goof has seemed out of place at times.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
The "Sam doesn't check for traps" thing was honestly the second moment this episode where I was kinda annoyed by the players going for levity over actually analyzing the situation they're in. The first was Nott + Jester not paying attention at all to Calebs warnings about the ruby. I get that it's their homegame and it's more fun if they have fun, but Liams visible frustration over Sam and Laura goofing around did come through clearly, even if it might've mostly been in character.

Honestly, I find Jester's schtick to wear a bit thin at times. The whole "the relationship with the Traveler is actually kinda fucked up if you stop and think about it" angle only works if you ever so often break from the chaos and deal with it, which I guess Travelercon is a great opportunity to do, but recently her goof has seemed out of place at times.
Jester is a follower of a Trickster god. She's an agent of chaos. Her goofing around is on-brand. As far as her relationship with the Traveler, she's had zero reason to question it. From an outsider perspective it seems suspect, but from her's it has been nothing but beneficial. Traveler Con is gonna be the first time Jester might get a better picture of who the Traveler is and what he wants.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Undeadwood was lots of fun. Marisha is doing a really great job with her character. I just feel bad for Brian, poor guy was having some rough rolls.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up with Critical Role at all since Campaign 1 ended. Randomly watched some of the one shots that I haven't seen, and oh my fucking christ, I was not ready for Dalen's Closet. That was just completely beautiful and tragic and exciting and more adjectives.

These guys are all great and I love every single one of them and not keeping up with CR is a dumb thing to do.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't kept up with Critical Role at all since Campaign 1 ended. Randomly watched some of the one shots that I haven't seen, and oh my fucking christ, I was not ready for Dalen's Closet. That was just completely beautiful and tragic and exciting and more adjectives.

These guys are all great and I love every single one of them and not keeping up with CR is a dumb thing to do.

Well, sometimes you want to punch some common sense in their faces when you see the stupid decisions they can take sometimes but... Well, they are still great none the less.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up the latest Undeadwood. Show continues to be really strong. The interstitials of the minis are fucking awesome.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Need more people watching Undeadwood

i absolutely LOVE regular critical role but i somehow manage to love Undeadwood more. they have their out of character joking and such but they manage to stay mostly in character and it keeps the pace fast and they really lean into their characters and the story as a result

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I was getting kind of annoyed with how casually they were treating the super dangerous situation at the beginning of the last episode, but it turned out to be a good one by the end. Chained Oblivion is no good, but I wonder if they are going to leave that to the archmages to research while they go do travelercon real quick. They just came back to the world and probably have hundreds of unread emails and dozens of voicemails.
i absolutely LOVE regular critical role but i somehow manage to love Undeadwood more. they have their out of character joking and such but they manage to stay mostly in character and it keeps the pace fast and they really lean into their characters and the story as a result
Still haven't watched episode 3, but just the fact that it's edited helps a lot with that pacing

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I was getting kind of annoyed with how casually they were treating the super dangerous situation at the beginning of the last episode, but it turned out to be a good one by the end. Chained Oblivion is no good, but I wonder if they are going to leave that to the archmages to research while they go do travelercon real quick. They just came back to the world and probably have hundreds of unread emails and dozens of voicemails.

I got the vibe that Matt is going to push them to confront Oban soon after they catch up with all their contacts. Allura heard Oban say he was close to his endgame, and a couple days have passed since then because of the Happy Fun Ball. Ashley might be coming back soon, so dealing with the Yasha situation might be the priority and travelercon will get pushed back a bit.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Question from someone who has been trying to get into CR for good 1-2 years. I've downloaded the first ~20 eps of the podcast and have been stuck on the first few ones for a long while. Now I'm on episode 4 and the sound quality is just abysmal. Add a bgm to that and it's really hard to hear what people are saying sometimes. Can someone tell me if/when the sound quality gets better? I want to know if I have to power through 5 or more like 50 episodes.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Question from someone who has been trying to get into CR for good 1-2 years. I've downloaded the first ~20 eps of the podcast and have been stuck on the first few ones for a long while. Now I'm on episode 4 and the sound quality is just abysmal. Add a bgm to that and it's really hard to hear what people are saying sometimes. Can someone tell me if/when the sound quality gets better? I want to know if I have to power through 5 or more like 50 episodes.
Do yourself a favor and skip ahead, read summaries if you want. Start with the briarwood arc that is episode 24. Much better sound quality and one of the best arcs in the first season. You could also skip ahead to the Vassalheim arc that is also better sound quality, I think that is around episode 17 or so.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's at least a dozen or so off the top of my head if you're jumping in from Campaign 1. I would strongly recommend C2 if you're going purely podcast because they have a much better set up from the get go and the characters begin at 2nd level. Ultimately though it is best watched as a video since they're playing in person with cameras so there are a lot of interactions and facial movements/hand gestures that would be missed through purely audio.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

I would advise you to skip to around episode 24 or 25 if you're doing campaign one. It is when the show really starts to get good, and the audio slowly starts to improve from that point. If you don't mind a story that is a little less classic heroic fantasy, Campaign 2 has a lot of the old audio problems solved from the start.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the endgame isn't a retread of the campaign 1 endgame. Much more interesting to have the ticking time bomb tension of taking down the cult before the chained oblivion can be unleashed rather than another sealing/banishment ceremony after something has been unleashed.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the endgame isn't a retread of the campaign 1 endgame. Much more interesting to have the ticking time bomb tension of taking down the cult before the chained oblivion can be unleashed rather than another sealing/banishment ceremony after something has been unleashed.

yeah but the cast sucks and will undoubtedly fail leading to the god being unleashed lol

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but the cast sucks and will undoubtedly fail leading to the god being unleashed lol
true enough, lol

they're so bipolar sometimes. The astral dreadnought thing was the perfect encapsulation of their random ass mood and tone swings. So they might fail to stop the ritual because they decided to try to give someone a wet willy rather than just kill them

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda hoping that Allura recognizes what kind of deep shit this could be and calls in VM to help handle this shit. If I'm in her shoes, I don't feel comfortable just leaving this in the hands of M9.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how Matt is gonna handle it. Will it be an in canon thing or like a battle royal type deal. I don't remember the exact details of when it was announced.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Matt is gonna handle it. Will it be an in canon thing or like a battle royal type deal. I don't remember the exact details of when it was announced.
It's called a "One-shot Vox Machina x Mighty Nein" on the kickstarter, but who knows. Working it into the story organically could be cool, but it would also kind of take away the shine from M9 in their own campaign if VM has to come in and save them. At the same time, I don't see why anyone would trust M9 to save the world at this point, so that could strain credulity as well.

I want someone to make a video that keeps cutting back and forth between their "we need to get our shit together, we keep failing, and there's a reason for it" conversation and all the needlessly dumb reckless shit they've done since having it.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
It's called a "One-shot Vox Machina x Mighty Nein" on the kickstarter, but who knows. Working it into the story organically could be cool, but it would also kind of take away the shine from M9 in their own campaign if VM has to come in and save them. At the same time, I don't see why anyone would trust M9 to save the world at this point, so that could strain credulity as well.

I want someone to make a video that keeps cutting back and forth between their "we need to get our shit together, we keep failing, and there's a reason for it" conversation and all the needlessly dumb reckless shit they've done since having it.

I thought that was gonna be a battle royale?