• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I thought so at first too, but the kickstarter reward is here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/criticalrole/critical-role-the-legend-of-vox-machina-animated-s
at the $3 million level on the stretch goals chart

Huh. I guess I assumed it would be a battle royale or something, but I guess they literally say Battle Royale in the guest one, so who knows? I can't imagine it's like a non-canon one-shot seeing as they might actually meet members of VM in the campaign.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Would really like to see them do a one shot of just a super hard dungeon. Like Tomb of Horrors or something. They love picking up everything they see, would like to see how they handle things that 1 shot kill you from interacting with them.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I guess I assumed it would be a battle royale or something, but I guess they literally say Battle Royale in the guest one, so who knows? I can't imagine it's like a non-canon one-shot seeing as they might actually meet members of VM in the campaign.
Would really like to see them do a one shot of just a super hard dungeon. Like Tomb of Horrors or something. They love picking up everything they see, would like to see how they handle things that 1 shot kill you from interacting with them.
Them working together on a deep delve into the happy fun ball could work well for this. Though with Oban going around to dangerous old sealed tombs I'm sure there are lots of candidates for what kind of dungeon they could tackle together.

The HFB would make sense for them having to split up, though. Like one group has to defend the ball from the outside and the dungeoneering squad goes in to retrieve or kill something.
Pretty sure at some point somewhere they said it'll be a battle royale with half of them using VM characters and the other half using M9 characters.
I'm not sure, but maybe that's why I was remembering it differently from their kickstarter page

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The HFB would make sense for them having to split up, though. Like one group has to defend the ball from the outside and the dungeoneering squad goes in to retrieve or kill something.

Splitting the group might make a lot of sense. Maybe they could structure it like they did the old Slayer's Take episodes and halve the groups work in teams. Two groups, half the table play VM and the other half play M9, and then switch. It might not work for a pure oneshot, but if they structure it as a big crossover, maybe they could do it in two parts.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sucks that Liam didnt dress up as illidan, missed opportunity there.

My guess with the recent Blizzard stuff I guess he didnt want too.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he has two glowing blades of azzinoth, purple and neon green body paint, huge fuck off wings and horns and a wig lying around

Oct 25, 2017
Ah dang, good for them.

I know none of the kickstarter tiers included downloads of the actual episodes made with the funding, but I wonder if there's any plan to release them outside of the thing that you need to have a subscription too.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Ah dang, good for them.

I know none of the kickstarter tiers included downloads of the actual episodes made with the funding, but I wonder if there's any plan to release them outside of the thing that you need to have a subscription too.
They say that season 1 will be available to backers without Prime, but from season 2 onward (in case they make more seasons than two) it won't.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Ah dang, good for them.

The Kickstarter update specifically said that backers get the first season for free so you'll be able to stream from Amazon without subscribing to Prime. I'm glad since I don't subscribe to Prime other than through a friend for the free shipping.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
CEO Willingham out here wheeling and dealing

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
probably marisha partially... matt said she wasnt on the last episode of pubdraw because she was doing something else important which i assume had something to do with this
yeah, those two both seem to be the particularly business minded ones who run everything, even if travis got the big boy title (and therefore a lot of the business credit by default)

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Was reading Variety's article about it:

That's pretty big as well.

Another campaign, maybe??

I would offer limbs up to get a Shadowrun or Call of Cthulhu game with these guys going. Even if they were shorter adventures and not long campaigns.

I'm sure he has two glowing blades of azzinoth, purple and neon green body paint, huge fuck off wings and horns and a wig lying around

Assuming he borrowed the body paint from Sam, no it would not surprise me at all he has that on hand.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The new Prime series read to me as a documentary about how CR came about and what it's like to run it more than a new campaign. The latter would definitely be more interesting to me

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news!

kinda sad though that years and years have passed and still no forgotten realms or Dragonlance tv or movies aside from that low budget DL cartoon

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Great news. Hope Amazon doesn't expect them to make a family friendly animated show, but im not too worried since they produced an M rated version of The Tick.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is amazing news!

Unfortunately I see idiots trying to spin this into a bad thing, claiming they never needed the kickstarter money, and my happiness was immediately replaced with annoyance.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, Laura is sitting in for Brian on Yee-Haw Game Ranch and her and Travis are playing Overcooked 2. It was a nice marriage while it lasted.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That is amazing news!

Unfortunately I see idiots trying to spin this into a bad thing, claiming they never needed the kickstarter money, and my happiness was immediately replaced with annoyance.

getting a streaming deal was the plan all along. The original kickstarter goal was just for Enough to make a 22 minute pilot episode that they could shop around.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is amazing news!

Pretty difficult to spin when:

• The KS funded season will be freely available to backers, including the two episodes added by the Amazon deal
  • From the campaign they were transparent that they had been shopping the show to different platforms and had been turned away. With the success of the KS, they had spoken on how many of those platforms had began to approach them with deals to get in on the interest that broke into the mainstream media.
So I doubt we'll see many of those arguments, and those that may come up will be quickly and rightly buried.

I did see some jokingly bring up the Wendy's ordeal and mock question on where the outrage is now given Amazon's business practices. Which is fair, though different situations.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
I did see some jokingly bring up the Wendy's ordeal and mock question on where the outrage is now given Amazon's business practices. Which is fair, though different situations.
It is kinda funny to see the lack of awareness from some people saying they don't want to support Amazon when they watch Critical Role every week on Twitch.

Oct 25, 2017
They say that season 1 will be available to backers without Prime, but from season 2 onward (in case they make more seasons than two) it won't.

The Kickstarter update specifically said that backers get the first season for free so you'll be able to stream from Amazon without subscribing to Prime. I'm glad since I don't subscribe to Prime other than through a friend for the free shipping.

Just read the update email. That's for the best. People would be maaaaaaaddd.

Oh no, Laura is sitting in for Brian on Yee-Haw Game Ranch and her and Travis are playing Overcooked 2. It was a nice marriage while it lasted.

Oh, god. The episode of him and Brian playing was hard enough to watch.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly done with this past week's episode and moving on to 25. Very impressed with how Kiri was handled, though shocked at how many kittens she is. Hopefully Jester checks on her soon and that she made it.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual endgame will be, if it'll be Tharizdun or the Cerberus Assembly. I'm looking forward to Star Spawns being dropped in at some point with Matt putting his own flavor on them. Can see the Mage/Hulk combos a particularly fun encounter, though not as fun as it could have been with Molly still around. It would certainly be a good shift away from the one or two powerful things in a room and call for actual strategy than the unnecessary ones they agonize over in straight forward ones.

It is kinda funny to see the lack of awareness from some people saying they don't want to support Amazon when they watch Critical Role every week on Twitch.
On the flip side, there's really no alternative for a sound streaming platform. Same with a show platform for LVM (imagine the fit here on Era if Disney grabbed it with Hulu). At least with Wendy's there were a multitude of other sponsor options that wouldn't have dictated player conduct and not be as clashed with the CR team values. But that whole situation was such a mess that I don't think anyone wants to revisit any aspect again bar some extreme shift in how the team operates.

Last edited:

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
It appears that them finally breaking away from Geek and Sundry was the best move.

Not going to lie, I really hope the second "Season" is just them adapting the first arc of the original campaign.

Also, Amazon is about to have way more viewers with Wheel of Time and The LOTR series they are currently developing.

So, this stuff kinda fits. but I am so happy that this little niche thing has grown to something that more people can see.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It appears that them finally breaking away from Geek and Sundry was the best move.

Now going to lie, I really hope the second "Season" is just them adapting the first arc of the original campaign.

Also, Amazon is about to have way more viewers with Wheel of Time and The LOTR series they are currently developing.

So, this stuff kinda fits. but I am so happy that this little niche thing has grown to something that more people can see.

I'm not sure if they're ever going to revisit the Underdark or original Vasselheim stuff, out of respect for Orion and his character. Though it would be nice if we would have some context if they do include what they discover in Draconia in the Chroma Conclave arc.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if they're ever going to revisit the Underdark or original Vasselheim stuff, out of respect for Orion and his character. Though it would be nice if we would have some context if they do include what they discover in Draconia in the Chroma Conclave arc.

It has been so long since I watched that first series I totally forgot about all the Tiberius stuff with Orion. I dunno, apart of me would love to see the Feywild stuff but Ashely was gone for most of it so.. I dunno.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
a battle royale with their current characters against M9 would be like... Grog vs All of the M9 - they are horribly, woefully, ridiculously outclassed unless they just boop everyone up to 20 or cut VM down to size for the fight.

I feel like the best crossover event would be like Keyleth showing up and talking shit, plane shifting them somewhere and giving them some decent advice about how not to die. Or Grog and Pike running into them while kind of adventuring as a favor to Allura or something.

Vex and Percy make no sense to show up. Same for Scanlan and Terry.

They could use bruiser the most I think and Travis has the most experience running two characters as well. AND !!!! Travis could finally.... FINALLY ... drop amazing nuggets of LvL 20 Grog wisdom on these idiots LoL

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has been so long since I watched that first series I totally forgot about all the Tiberius stuff with Orion. I dunno, apart of me would love to see the Feywild stuff but Ashely was gone for most of it so.. I dunno.
They could change some stuff (like I believe they said they would for Ashley and Pike) and Tiberius hasn't been outright ignored in other CR media with him appearing in the Vox Machina Origins comics. I'm just not sure if they want to approach him for a voiced role, given how they pointedly skipped past most of his time on CR for Legends and how their relationship is still very much taboo.

I will say his character being included would work better in animation, with it being scripted and putting him into a limited role within the group dynamic. So I'd welcome a short term role to honor that history if it can be salvaged.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
It's not like it's a historical re-enactment. They can insert Pike into the Feywild story if they want to. Just like they can remove Tiberius.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I just assumed that the crossover would be the cast playing M9 with VM as NPCs. I don't expect them to be playing both groups.