• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I personally won't mind at all if they cut Tiberius out of all the animation and don't bother doing that first chunk in the underdark to avoid any repeat of people bringing up Orion over and over and over again.
I honestly never understood people who were frustrated or angry over Orion leaving or the way he left. Tiberius and Orion both were fucking grating on the nerves almost the entire time. He was the worst example in that group of meta gaming, being a sore ass player, assuming things and trying to shove his own decisions into Matt's story line in a purely inorganic and silly way.
His character being dead is the best way they could have recovered from all that drama. Let the characters have a minute to mourn, build him a solid resting place, tell some stories of Tibs and then moooooove the fuck on. They can just say "He was a friend of ours..." when they find the body and make the grave site. No need to go into it.

And i would like Pike to mix it up with this group for sure but the idea of Ashley having to remember all of Pikes stuff and use it effectively in this group is.... worrying. At the least LoL
At least with Grog it would be super straightforward, Talesin is in a similar boat and dude has played a lot more DnD so i'm sure he would be fine. I feel like Sam could probs step into Scanlan pretty easy but like... Why would the meatman ever care to help these doofuses lol

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I just assumed that the crossover would be the cast playing M9 with VM as NPCs. I don't expect them to be playing both groups.
I'd like something like this:
Them working together on a deep delve into the happy fun ball could work well for this. Though with Oban going around to dangerous old sealed tombs I'm sure there are lots of candidates for what kind of dungeon they could tackle together.

The HFB would make sense for them having to split up, though. Like one group has to defend the ball from the outside and the dungeoneering squad goes in to retrieve or kill something.
but it could be many different things. I assume the title "One-Shot Vox Machina x Mighty Nein" was left purposefully vague so that they can make it fit

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'd see something like a dungeon crawl where the cast play the M9 and where VM are like boss fights controlled by Matt each in separate rooms.

That would let the M9 a chance. Until they arrive to Keyleth who shapeshift into a black dragon and then TPK.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd see something like a dungeon crawl where the cast play the M9 and where VM are like boss fights controlled by Matt each in separate rooms.

That would let the M9 a chance. Until they arrive to Keyleth who shapeshift into a black dragon and then TPK.
The M9 attempt to loot Castle Greyskull, not knowing the owners and VM are having a holiday party within...

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
And i would like Pike to mix it up with this group for sure but the idea of Ashley having to remember all of Pikes stuff and use it effectively in this group is.... worrying. At the least LoL
At least with Grog it would be super straightforward, Talesin is in a similar boat and dude has played a lot more DnD so i'm sure he would be fine. I feel like Sam could probs step into Scanlan pretty easy but like... Why would the meatman ever care to help these doofuses lol
Well she would have two other clerics right next to her to consult with at the table this time, so I doubt it would be too big of a deal. She would just need to brush up on her war domain specific stuff, and Laura and Taliesin could help her out with the rest.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Now that VM are NPCs and are canonically level 20, do you think Matt would give them Legendary Actions and Resistances?

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I know it was Better for Beau to get the circlet but man I wish Cadd got it, would have been so interesting.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017

Dude anyone of them could probably wipe the whole team except for maybe Pike.

Scanlan is a LvL 20 caster. True Polymorph, Fireball wands, hands for flying, invisible teleporting trickster. It's a landslide.
Keyleth - Lvl 20 caster. True poly, wild shape, huge natur spells, teleporting nature goddess. It's a landslide.
Grog Lvl 20 barb - eats them all slowly while laughing. They never make it through half his HP. He could easily rage down one player a round without sweating it.
Percy - LvL 20 gunz - Sooo much damage. And since he's range he could probably push down at least 2 of them a round without much trouble. Caleb's dead. Cads dead. Fjord is dead.
Vex - Lvl 20 Archer - like... they could probably kill Trinket? I'll give the M9 that LoL but rain of arrows and a few spells to slow/degrade the M9s movement

Unless one of VM rolled horrible initiative I don't see them making it out. They could p otentially dmg down Vex or Scanlan if they got super lucky but the spell DC and Save DC for all of VM spells are so high compared to these vagabonds lol

Like i really really wanna see how it goes down but... especially if Matt is playing the characters? I feel like almost any lvl 20 character could fuck wit a group of 10s without much worry. If it's gonna be a VS situation i can't see Matt not hamstringing VM to some degree.

edit: Yo i just wanted to say this is my favorite thread on Reset and ya'll are the best.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Dude anyone of them could probably wipe the whole team except for maybe Pike.

Scanlan is a LvL 20 caster. True Polymorph, Fireball wands, hands for flying, invisible teleporting trickster. It's a landslide.
Keyleth - Lvl 20 caster. True poly, wild shape, huge natur spells, teleporting nature goddess. It's a landslide.
Grog Lvl 20 barb - eats them all slowly while laughing. They never make it through half his HP. He could easily rage down one player a round without sweating it.
Percy - LvL 20 gunz - Sooo much damage. And since he's range he could probably push down at least 2 of them a round without much trouble. Caleb's dead. Cads dead. Fjord is dead.
Vex - Lvl 20 Archer - like... they could probably kill Trinket? I'll give the M9 that LoL but rain of arrows and a few spells to slow/degrade the M9s movement

Unless one of VM rolled horrible initiative I don't see them making it out. They could p otentially dmg down Vex or Scanlan if they got super lucky but the spell DC and Save DC for all of VM spells are so high compared to these vagabonds lol

Like i really really wanna see how it goes down but... especially if Matt is playing the characters? I feel like almost any lvl 20 character could fuck wit a group of 10s without much worry. If it's gonna be a VS situation i can't see Matt not hamstringing VM to some degree.

edit: Yo i just wanted to say this is my favorite thread on Reset and ya'll are the best.
Pike is very tanky (AC 24!), can heal herself, can fly, and has divine intervention for free. Not to mention cleric buff spells like Freedom of Movement or Holy Aura she could prep herself with just to be safe. They'd be done after a couple of fire storms

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Pike is very tanky (AC 24!), can heal herself, can fly, and has divine intervention for free. Not to mention cleric buff spells like Freedom of Movement or Holy Aura she could prep herself with just to be safe. They'd be done after a couple of fire storms

This guy Clerics. And see i'd put her at the bottom end range of the VM for damage that she can deal out in a limited amount of time and she'd still be an insane encounter for M9.
I forget about those free wings of hers as well. AND ... she basically has an extra life even if they managed to nuke her down on some horrible initiative. Like she would just war of attrition them down as well.
LoL and fuckin 24 AC. Hilarious.
Can you imagine Fjord actually landing a final hit, Travis flippin out happy they managed to tank someone down... and then she fucking explodes, dumps multiple dice of damage on him AND stands back up ready to go at it again?? LoL

Yah. It's just a wash from every angle.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
This guy Clerics. And see i'd put her at the bottom end range of the VM for damage that she can deal out in a limited amount of time and she'd still be an insane encounter for M9.
I forget about those free wings of hers as well. AND ... she basically has an extra life even if they managed to nuke her down on some horrible initiative. Like she would just war of attrition them down as well.
LoL and fuckin 24 AC. Hilarious.
Can you imagine Fjord actually landing a final hit, Travis flippin out happy they managed to tank someone down... and then she fucking explodes, dumps multiple dice of damage on him AND stands back up ready to go at it again?? LoL

Yah. It's just a wash from every angle.
I forgot about her phoenix armor too.

Vox machina are insane

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It appears that them finally breaking away from Geek and Sundry was the best move.

Not going to lie, I really hope the second "Season" is just them adapting the first arc of the original campaign.

Man, it really makes it sink in how much of a mess the Critical Role viewing order will be once all is said and done. We're going to have a resurgence of the Canononical/Release viewing order debate all over again :P

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
With the bounded accuracy and action economy of 5e I would put money on the M9 to take out any one member of VM besides possibly Keyleth, since as a level 20 moon druid she has practically infinite hit points by using a bonus action to shift into another animal or elemental every turn. Even she wouldn't be invincible though if she, for example, got caught in a stunning strike loop.

Scanlan might also win with use of True Polymorph if he made himself into an Adult Gold Dragon or something, but a bad roll could have him come out of that form long before the hit points are gone.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
With the bounded accuracy and action economy of 5e I would put money on the M9 to take out any one member of VM besides possibly Keyleth, since as a level 20 moon druid she has practically infinite hit points by using a bonus action to shift into another animal or elemental every turn. Even she wouldn't be invincible though if she, for example, got caught in a stunning strike loop.

Scanlan might also win with use of True Polymorph if he made himself into an Adult Gold Dragon or something, but a bad roll could have him come out of that form long before the hit points are gone.

I mean ... everyone seems to love Keyleth pretty hard and as the primary magical force of VM in those later years is without a doubt powerful but she could get caught flat footed with bad initiative just like anyone else. 147 or so HP is no un-reachable by a lvl 10 group but baring some goldfish level bad decisions or craptastic dice luck i think any one member of the VM would be able to put some ridiculous hurt on the M9 team all at once.

I think the most vulnerable would be Percy if he was caught with Slow or something else that would effect his ability to to abuse his action count on every turn. Everyone else has pretty good options for single decision/damage or avoiding damage. Not to mention all their stuff - so many vestiges.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean ... everyone seems to love Keyleth pretty hard and as the primary magical force of VM in those later years is without a doubt powerful but she could get caught flat footed with bad initiative just like anyone else. 147 or so HP is no un-reachable by a lvl 10 group but baring some goldfish level bad decisions or craptastic dice luck i think any one member of the VM would be able to put some ridiculous hurt on the M9 team all at once.

I think the most vulnerable would be Percy if he was caught with Slow or something else that would effect his ability to to abuse his action count on every turn. Everyone else has pretty good options for single decision/damage or avoiding damage. Not to mention all their stuff - so many vestiges.

Poor Percy might destroyed just like every single "Battle Royale" one shot they have had.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The only member of VM that the M9 have even odds on beating is probably Trinket. I think without massive bad luck, pretty much any member of VM could probably kill several members of the M9.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
The only member of VM that the M9 have even odds on beating is probably Trinket. I think without massive bad luck, pretty much any member of VM could probably kill several members of the M9.

with a bad initiative roll the M9 could definitely take down some M9 member. Add some successful stunning strikes into the mix and it gets real lop-sided (which happens to Matt often enough when designing encounters that just have ONE main BBEG.)

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
with a bad initiative roll the M9 could definitely take down some M9 member. Add some successful stunning strikes into the mix and it gets real lop-sided (which happens to Matt often enough when designing encounters that just have ONE main BBEG.)

That's a good point. I was mostly just joking, but you're absolutely right. Stunning Strike could really make a difference. I don't remember everyone's constitution, but some of them must be low. Banishment would buy some time, but won't end a fight, but Hold/Dominate person could end the fight as well.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Marisha would wipe the floor with everyone as long as she takes Caleb out first, it wouldn't even be close

Beau would be strong, but if Fjord can cast his ice armor spell, she or Yasha would lose 25 health per hit. Yasha might be able to burn it out in one hit, but Beau would need a crit to remove it without losing over half her health. The real winner would probably be whoever could convince one of the Clerics to team up with them.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Marisha would wipe the floor with everyone as long as she takes Caleb out first, it wouldn't even be close
If they focused on her she'd be gone in a round, but everyone would just be running off on their own and she could probably pick them off one by one. They might not want to gang up or focus fire on her, but she didn't exactly pull punches in any of her keyleth BR's when she was the clear threat, so i would think she would be fair game.

But even a sneak attack or two from Nott while Beau's whaling on some poor stunned fool would come close to taking her out. Beau is very dangerous when she has backup, but I don't think she's be that big of a threat alone unless literally everyone ignores her the whole time.
Beau would be strong, but if Fjord can cast his ice armor spell, she or Yasha would lose 25 health per hit. Yasha might be able to burn it out in one hit, but Beau would need a crit to remove it without losing over half her health. The real winner would probably be whoever could convince one of the Clerics to team up with them.
A cleric team up ending with the victor being decided by a game of rock paper scissors after everyone else is gone is the only true battle royale

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
If they focused on her she'd be gone in a round, but everyone would just be running off on their own and she could probably pick them off one by one. They might not want to gang up or focus fire on her, but she didn't exactly pull punches in any of her keyleth BR's when she was the clear threat, so i would think she would be fair game.

But even a sneak attack or two from Nott while Beau's whaling on some poor stunned fool would come close to taking her out. Beau is very dangerous when she has backup, but I don't think she's be that big of a threat alone unless literally everyone ignores her the whole time.

A cleric team up ending with the victor being decided by a game of rock paper scissors after everyone else is gone is the only true battle royale

But Beau can literally catch arrows AND has evade for magic attacks. Monks OP

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter who wins, I like battle royales for the interesting usage of powers and abilities in a pvp setting and a bespoke battleground environment. As long as it feels like everyone has a bit of a chance, it's fun. Hopefully Matt adds in more goodies and randomness to the next map to keep everyone on their toes.
But Beau can literally catch arrows AND has evade for magic attacks. Monks OP
They are, but she has only one reaction per round, and evasion doesn't work on targeted spell attacks

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
This Laura Bailey edition of Yee-Haw Game Ranch is probably the only episode I've watched all the way through. That look when Travis started "When you listen..." I shrunk down in my seat. lol

New Mini-Primetime is out on YT. Friedle says jif.... I feel betrayed. 😞

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any hopes for how the Nein progress tonight? I'd like to see them back Allura when she reports to the council in Emon, but the group has been historically gun-shy of pursuing things that may cross into C1.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Any hopes for how the Nein progress tonight? I'd like to see them back Allura when she reports to the council in Emon, but the group has been historically gun-shy of pursuing things that may cross into C1.
It feels very wide open as far as what will happen next. I can't tell if we're heading right into "oh shit's hit the fan" mode or "time to do some research and finish up a few odds and ends before confronting this" mode.

A lot of that will probably come down to ashley's schedule. I think she should be back permanently within the next few weeks.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping that Ashley rolls a new character and starts fresh. And that Matt doesn't just pull some bullshit to get Yasha back.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
We all know she's getting redeemed and forgiven. It's best to start the acceptance process now.

I mean, she is being controlled by something so strong that Kord, the god of storms and might can't even free her. I don't know if it's fair to say her actions are her own fault. Everyone is pretty quick to tell Caleb it isn't his fault for what Trent made him do, why should Yasha be held to a higher standard? I don't mean to sound combative, but I would rather Yasha have a real opportunity to be developed, then just discarded in the name of drama.

Either way, I have no doubt that the party and Ashley will be able to make Yasha's reintegration to the group interesting.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, she is being controlled by something so strong that Kord, the god of storms and might can't even free her. I don't know if it's fair to say her actions are her own fault. Everyone is pretty quick to tell Caleb it isn't his fault for what Trent made him do, why should Yasha be held to a higher standard? I don't mean to sound combative, but I would rather Yasha have a real opportunity to be developed, then just discarded in the name of drama.

Either way, I have no doubt that the party and Ashley will be able to make Yasha's reintegration to the group interesting.
I don't have a problem with yasha being redeemed, I was just responding to SilentMike03

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with yasha being redeemed, I was just responding to SilentMike03

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have framed my response like that, and implied you were saying something you didn't. My post was way too reactionary.

I'm really excited to see the group reunite. Hopefully this next batch of episodes will keep up the fun momentum. No matter what happens, it will just be great to have the whole cast again.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have framed my response like that, and implied you were saying something you didn't. My post was way too reactionary.

I'm really excited to see the group reunite. Hopefully this next batch of episodes will keep up the fun momentum. No matter what happens, it will just be great to have the whole cast again.
no problem at all, I'm excited for the full cast to finally be a full time thing too. We've literally never had a full time ashley. It's crazy

Does anybody have the inside scoop on when exactly ashley finished filming, or when she should be back? I feel like she usually comes back in november december in previous years, but now I'm wondering if that was just for a winter break from her filming schedule, and not actually when she was done for the season.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't find Yasha that interesting of a character. It's not Ashley's fault cause she hasn't been there, but now that she's coming back full time (presumably) I'd rather see her work with a clean slate.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't find Yasha that interesting of a character. It's not Ashley's fault cause she hasn't been there, but now that she's coming back full time (presumably) I'd rather see her work with a clean slate.
Everything her character has gone through and a redemption arc is a pretty juicy thing to role play, though. It could add a lot of character. I hope it's not cheap and brushed off too quickly, but I think it could be really good for her character in the long run if they really play it out.

I'm mostly happy that the meta-ness will be out of the game since they won't have to play character beats and he plot around whether or not ashley can/will be there

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed with this. Yasha is less fleshed out than some of the NPCs, I'd much rather Ashley start over full-time with a new character she has time to develop from scratch and not have to try and salvage to broken record that Yasha is.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to Yasha sacrificing herself because she's too far gone, or getting killed by Oban or something. Even just leaving the group in disgrace after they rescue her. They need to address all of this stuff with her first, though, so it's hard to say what they should do yet.

It would be a neat move for them all to go "No, yasha's an npc now, here's the new character" or "There's no saving her", but they definitely aren't going to do that. They're going to play something out.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be opposed to Yasha sacrificing herself because she's too far gone, or getting killed by Oban or something. Even just leaving the group in disgrace after they rescue her. They need to address all of this stuff with her first, though, so it's hard to say what they should do yet.

It would be a neat move for them all to go "No, yasha's an npc now, here's the new character" or "There's no saving her", but they definitely aren't going to do that. They're going to play something out.
I frequently find myself in these kind of discussions saying that a character should leave the group. Like when Nott reunited with her family I thought she should leave. When Laura brought up how Jester would bail on the group to go to Traveler Con I was super into it. I'm trying to figure out why I lean that way and I think I just want them to make bold character choices.

I think sometimes the group falls into making decisions to keep their characters in the party instead of following the natural arc. They just go along to get along. My favorite bits on the show are when they play their characters with their own interests in mind instead of the group's.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I frequently find myself in these kind of discussions saying that a character should leave the group. Like when Nott reunited with her family I thought she should leave. When Laura brought up how Jester would bail on the group to go to Traveler Con I was super into it. I'm trying to figure out why I lean that way and I think I just want them to make bold character choices.

I think sometimes the group falls into making decisions to keep their characters in the party instead of following the natural arc. They just go along to get along. My favorite bits on the show are when they play their characters with their own interests in mind instead of the group's.
Yeah, I agree with your points. I'm just not expecting it from anyone because I'm really not getting that vibe from the players. Campaign 2 is very bipolar in that they have no self preservation and will jump into stupid situations knowing they are stupid just to spice things up, but they also play their character arcs quite safe and democratically in order to keep the group status quo.

Nott leaving makes sense to me. Jester leaving makes sense, but I feel like there would have to be more tension from the group denying her travelercon and the traveler urging her to go. I honestly think Fjord should have been killed by uk'otoa, cultists, or left the group earlier in the campaign to make way for a more interesting character, but it looks like we're going to play out the whole dull, ill-defined character arc for him. Big boring himbo energy from him.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean from a player standpoint it's pretty reasonable. They don't seem to really like coming up with new characters and unless their hand is truly forced where they have to leave (or they just wanna stir the pot) then I think they prioritize group cohesion and staying both as a player and a character. With how they play the game they don't really have the opportunity to have interesting side stories where they follow Jester or Nott after they leave and the characters would just become a NPC. Who wants that for their characters? It's one thing to retire from adventuring and have a finite end but you don't want to just leave the party and have your story be unfinished and up to the whims of the DM.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I mean from a player standpoint it's pretty reasonable. They don't seem to really like coming up with new characters and unless their hand is truly forced where they have to leave (or they just wanna stir the pot) then I think they prioritize group cohesion and staying both as a player and a character. With how they play the game they don't really have the opportunity to have interesting side stories where they follow Jester or Nott after they leave and the characters would just become a NPC. Who wants that for their characters? It's one thing to retire from adventuring and have a finite end but you don't want to just leave the party and have your story be unfinished and up to the whims of the DM.
I think it would be pretty easy to have some finality before leaving the group if the player wanted to, but I agree that this group doesn't seem particularly interested in that. Except for Sam, who livened up the last campaign by leaving, and he got to introduce a fun new character at the same time. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility if the player feels their character would want to leave the group.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get it. The group can just get a little stale for me. And I'm not saying they'd leave the party permanently. But like Jester would go off to do Traveler Con and have some adventures off screen for a couple weeks in-game and then join back up.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

To be fair, nobody really likes changing characters. You get attached to them, make plans for them, want to see those through until the end. They're an extension of ourselves, an alternate persona with memories attached to it. That said, I think the main thing for them is that while they have alternate characters in mind (they've said as much on Talks), they just don't want to bring them in halfway through the campaign unless they have to.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get it. The group can just get a little stale for me. And I'm not saying they'd leave the party permanently. But like Jester would go off to do Traveler Con and have some adventures off screen for a couple weeks in-game and then join back up.

Yeah, in a home game I could totally see Jester splitting off and then have Matt run a couple sessions with Jester and maybe other players as characters in the Traveler's little group, but in this setting where almost everything is streamed and they have a very immersive/narrative focused approach of storytelling where they typically go day by day, it would be a very time consuming detour.

To be fair, nobody really likes changing characters. You get attached to them, make plans for them, want to see those through until the end. They're an extension of ourselves, an alternate persona with memories attached to it. That said, I think the main thing for them is that while they have alternate characters in mind (they've said as much on Talks), they just don't want to bring them in halfway through the campaign unless they have to.

Yeah totally. Their group is one that treasures the characters they create and also put a lot of work into building out their characters before setting them free into the world. I've played in other groups where no one really cared when their character died and just rolled up a near identical one or relished the thought of having a new concept to play with. Bringing a higher level character in midway also introduces some complexities to the group dynamic that you really don't want to shake up too many times, and it can be hard to narratively justify what these 10th or higher level characters were really doing prior to getting involved in a global conflict

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It finally happened, Sam finally ran out of material for his D&D Beyond ad. I never thought I would see this day.