• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Good episode. The tattoo stuff was fun. The Taldorei Council running gag was pretty good. I forget when it started, but at some point a person in the chat noticed Matt rolling and I think it was before they got to Pumat's.

Also, as a BeauJess shipper, Marisha was serving up some good food.

Also, also. We're NEVER going to get this Gentleman conversation. Denied again. Goddamnit.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the crew feels a little bad about stumbling into the Gentleman thing super early

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about how this battle with all of them versus one super powerful assassin will go. It feels like the kind of thing that could get really dire, or they get some lucky stuns in and its not that big of a deal.

54 damage plus a con check for more poison damage means that most of them could get one-shot. Hopefully we get a high stakes fight.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm really curious about how this battle with all of them versus one super powerful assassin will go. It feels like the kind of thing that could get really dire, or they get some lucky stuns in and its not that big of a deal.

54 damage plus a con check for more poison damage means that most of them could get one-shot. Hopefully we get a high stakes fight.
I would think its balanced. I mean, Vax in his mid-high levels could pull off some absolutely insane damages whenever he got the chance to use his Assassinate Class feature. We're talking in the 200+ Damage range on a single attack. What makes Rogues so deadly when they go to assassinate is that they get advantage on attack rolls, with any hits being an auto-crit. It's designed to take someone out in a single blow.

That said, the problem is that they only get one chance to do it in a combat encounter. And as the saying goes "When you come at the king, you best not miss", because all hell is about to break loose and you are now standing right in the center of it.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
What makes me really nervous is how Juuraiel was able to find them. I don't think Oban or the Laughing Hand can scry, and we know Yasha can't. So either Juuraiel has an ability that allow it/her to track her prey across massive distances, or Oban has informed that Vence guy and he did it for them. If that's the case, then they are going to have a really hard time trapping him if they go to Rexxentrum. He could use his position in the Assembly to have them all arrested if they are found by any guards.

Juuraiel seems to have some crazy damage output, and a pretty high AC. Still it is only one vs six, with people able to heal and polymorph those who get super injured. The real worry would be what secondary abilities it has. The laughing hand had that fear effect and the ability to summon shadow dogs, so Juuraiel probably has some crazy secondary abilities as well. There is also the chance that Yasha is with it. Allura only saw Oba and the Laughing hand together, maybe Jurraiel was already on the hunt with Yasha as backup. If so, that might be how Matt is planning on reintegrating Yasha in the party. If the can knock her out then they can try to break the Chained Oblivion's hold on her.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I would think its balanced. I mean, Vax in his mid-high levels could pull off some absolutely insane damages whenever he got the chance to use his Assassinate Class feature. We're talking in the 200+ Damage range on a single attack. What makes Rogues so deadly when they go to assassinate is that they get advantage on attack rolls, with any attacks being an auto-crit. It's designed to take someone out in a single blow.

The problem is though, that they only get one chance to do it in a combat encounter. And as the saying goes "When you come at the king, you best not miss", because all hell is about to break loose and you are now standing right in the center of it.
True, but she's an ancient assassin for two of the most powerful evil gods. You know she's got some crazy abilities that go far beyond a player character assassin rogue.
Juuraiel seems to have some crazy damage output, and a pretty high AC. Still it is only one vs six, with people able to heal and polymorph those who get super injured. The real worry would be what secondary abilities it has. The laughing hand had that fear effect and the ability to summon shadow dogs, so Juuraiel probably has some crazy secondary abilities as well. There is also the chance that Yasha is with it. Allura only saw Oba and the Laughing hand together, maybe Jurraiel was already on the hunt with Yasha as backup. If so, that might be how Matt is planning on reintegrating Yasha in the party. If the can knock her out then they can try to break the Chained Oblivion's hold on her.
Yasha being there and helping her would be pretty awesome.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

That's a really good point re:Yasha, it's getting to that point where we should be seeing Ashley soon, maybe she'll be back in a week or two!

I think the troubling thing will be her phasing/invisibility ability where she sinks into the ground. That can help to negate some of the M9's action economy since they'd just be standing around doing nothing and readying actions hoping for the best. Fjord has his Detect/See Invisible spell but that isn't like Faerie Fire where it reveals it to the whole group, so it would only really help him, and if she's just literally phasing into the ground then that wouldn't help either.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good point re:Yasha, it's getting to that point where we should be seeing Ashley soon, maybe she'll be back in a week or two!

I think the troubling thing will be her phasing/invisibility ability where she sinks into the ground. That can help to negate some of the M9's action economy since they'd just be standing around doing nothing and readying actions hoping for the best. Fjord has his Detect/See Invisible spell but that isn't like Faerie Fire where it reveals it to the whole group, so it would only really help him, and if she's just literally phasing into the ground then that wouldn't help either.
I think Laura asked Travis, and he said he'd already used his one use of see invisibility for the day when they talked to Dairon. Caduceus used his detect magic immediately after being stabbed, but i think that's gone now too.

Prepare for everyone standing back to back and shuffling around the shop hoping their spell or attack goes off

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
The double/triple/quadruple agent thing they're doing could be a really dangerous, but I'm sure they'll stumble their way through it somehow.

I thought they were completely fucked once they started spilling ALL the beans immediately in their meeting with Hass. I don't think Dairon would appreciate how loose lipped Beau is with her name either, lol

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
The double/triple/quadruple agent thing they're doing could be a really dangerous, but I'm sure they'll stumble their way through it somehow.

I thought they were completely fucked once they started spilling ALL the beans immediately in their meeting with Hass. I don't think Dairon would appreciate how loose lipped Beau is with her name either, lol
So like.. did they learn anything from Hass?
That was why they went right? And yussa told them to only tell him what was really necessary, but they just spilled all the beans to him and for basically nothing except a maybe ally?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
So like.. did they learn anything from Hass?
That was why they went right? And yussa told them to only tell him what was really necessary, but they just spilled all the beans to him and for basically nothing except a maybe ally?

They got Hass's symbol, and know where Vence is. He also may be willing to help Dairon and the Cobalt Soul get access to the King. The definitely gave more then the received, but if Hass is a real ally, then when it comes time to announce the Assembly's corruption they have people in power to vouch for them.

If things weren't so dire I would almost want them to try and reconnect with the Lawmaster lady that's based in Zedash. The more people in authority that will believe them, the harder it will be for the Assembly to close ranks and have the M9 arrested.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
A fight in the Invulnerable Vagrant where Yasha is the Ends backup would be fucking wild. After it's all said and done Matt could even have yasha get KO, the assassin runs and then Pumat helps them permanently break the hold Oban has on Yasha...boom!

Whole episode was great. The running gag about the council. The tattoos that I was at first rolling my eyes hard at to eventually really digging. The fish and chips convoy. Classic M9 conversation fuckery where they just spill out their whole fuckin life story for some reason. Cash money finally....

Good stuff, cant wait for next week

Also - do we actually know who is on that council? Like was that common knowledge after the end of S1? I have forgotten entirely if so...

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we do. The Council was destroyed during the Conclave arc and I don't know if it was ever reformed or if VM just never sought that information out.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The Council is in the Tal'dorei Campaign guide, set after the first campaign.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Aww... so all of Assum sure but they were obviously looking for shootouts for VM lol I love these vain ol idiots

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so checking the wiki

I don't recognize most of those names tbh.

Brom, Assum and Tofor all appeared in C1, but I guess the other two were made for the Campaign Guide. This also wouldn't obviously account for the 20 year gap to C2 so it might differ slightly from present day. That being said I don't really see any of them being on the council as they all have homes and priorities elsewhere.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Brom, Assum and Tofor all appeared in C1, but I guess the other two were made for the Campaign Guide. This also wouldn't obviously account for the 20 year gap to C2 so it might differ slightly from present day. That being said I don't really see any of them being on the council as they all have homes and priorities elsewhere.
Percy+Vex wouldn't pass up the chance to become permanent members, they like being important people and Percy's sister does the main governance of Whitestone along with the council of Whitestone. Keyleth wouldn't have time to deal with it and Scalan/Pike/Grog group doesn't seem the type to care about being on the council. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually run into Percy and Vex and their teenage children whose names are even longer than Percy's.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Percy+Vex wouldn't pass up the chance to become permanent members, they like being important people and Percy's sister does the main governance of Whitestone along with the council of Whitestone. Keyleth wouldn't have time to deal with it and Scalan/Pike/Grog group doesn't seem the type to care about being on the council. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually run into Percy and Vex and their teenage children whose names are even longer than Percy's.

Percy seems beholden to the people and place of Whitestone though, I doubt he'd want to leave that quickly. I could see Vex being some kind of ambassador similar to her father is to Syngorn but it depends how quickly they can travel between the two places (If Allura gives them access to a teleportation circle or something) and whether they could live in Whitestone while making weekly/monthly stops to Emon.

I suspect Grog is the new Earthbreaker in Vasselheim and Keyleth is the Voice of the Ashari people. Scanlan and Pike are really up in the air but Pike could be leading the proselytising effort for Sarenrae. I really thought we'd meet Taryon by now but I guess they haven't gone to Deastok :[

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
What a week to be on vacation. Episode this week was great. I want fish and chips just thinking about it lol. Definitely felt like the campaign was picking up with the choices they made.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Its been really interesting to see how much Matt foreshadowed this Chained Oblivion plot. The entire first two adventures can be almost entirely attributed to its influence. I've even seen some people who believe that Uk'otoa might also be another fake identity for it. I'm not sure if I buy that connection though. Matt did use the word "consume" when he was describing the Chained Oblivion, but nothing about it scream ocean monster to me. Also wouldn't the Wildmother have picked up on its nature when she helped liberate Fjord?

This is going to be especially interesting and amusing for me, as in the D&D campaign I'm in we just got through a major encounter with a much higher level assassin and couldn't avoid or run from the fight.

OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be especially interesting and amusing for me, as in the D&D campaign I'm in we just got through a major encounter with a much higher level assassin and couldn't avoid or run from the fight.
It's definitely a cool single enemy encounter, and not something this group is used to fighting or strategizing around. And then if Yasha gets involved like some people have speculated... baby, you got a stew going

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Its been really interesting to see how much Matt foreshadowed this Chained Oblivion plot. The entire first two adventures can be almost entirely attributed to its influence. I've even seen some people who believe that Uk'otoa might also be another fake identity for it. I'm not sure if I buy that connection though. Matt did use the word "consume" when he was describing the Chained Oblivion, but nothing about it scream ocean monster to me. Also wouldn't the Wildmother have picked up on its nature when she helped liberate Fjord?
Tharizdun aint any kind of sea deity, if uka toa is a front for tharizdun then the entire sea demi god persona is a fiction.
That said yeah its a hell of a coincidence that tharizdun aparently has many seals throughout the world, and one of the party was tasked by a mysterious diety noones ever heard of to undo a bunch of long forgotten magic seals.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Charity stream on another channel this Sunday of the Witcher TRPG with Doug Cockle playing Geralt and Matt playing Dandelion. GM is the guy who created the game, the son of the creator of Cyberpunk.

EJL3DxFXUAEOHFf

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to run a campaign, and so I'm going through some of the Talks Machina episodes around certain points in the campaign, and came across a comment from Laura that has aged amazingly from the very first talks from the second campaign.

Liam (to Travis): "You know, the stats say that we're kind of the negotiators of the group, so..."
Laura: "You better be careful though, because some people might not be good at charisma but they don't know that"
*Flash forward to several dozen moments throughout the campaign so far*

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Lmao that talks chat comment last week: "Is this show about Critical Role?"

Yes, I know I'm behind. Only have undeadwood part 3 and I'm caught up!

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Dream Machine

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I missed last week, someone hit me up with a TL;DR
They found out that the chained oblivion was actually the one people like Oban are worshipping and freeing, whether they realize it or not. Yussa burned Halas's body (even though they actually left it in the Happy Fun Ball the week before, but whatever), and then sent them with a letter to talk to that earth genasi wizard they met with Trent a long time ago and seemed to convince him into being an ally. They got empire seals to go with their dynasty ones. They also got some gold from Yussa, and the girls all wen and got those cool tattoos from Orly. In Zadash they also went to the Cobalt Soul and everything was forgiven because Dairon talked to everyone and beau got her official expositor vestments adn quarters at the monastery. Then they went to Pumat Soul's and right at the end of the episode, while they were shopping, Cad got stabbed in teh back by the Inevitable End (who then sunk into the floor), and this week is picking up with the battle.