• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I hope this helps avoiding any confusions from now on.
I think that when playing on the PS5 it should open the PS5 version automatically, and then if you want you can download and play the PS4 version but at least this is something.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-new-ps5-update-finally-tackles-cross-gen-confusion/
Ep1fFYOXcAArC6F

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
That's good news. Hopefully it surfaces when you have both versions installed a little more readily too. I've had a few games where I accidentally downloaded both versions for some reason without even realizing it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this helps with the issue of PS4 discs trying to download PS4 versions after upgrading

Oct 25, 2017
Nasty surprises coming when people have been playing PS4 versions the whole time and their saves will not work with the PS5 version.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any games that currently have that problem?
Pretty much all of them, I think. PS5 version is a completely separate game as far as the system is concerned. Devs would have to build it into the game itself, like Spider-Man Remastered. Even that one won't just read your PS4 save, you've got to go through a specific upload-download process within the game (meaning you have to have both versions up and running, either on both your PS4 and PS5, or you have to install both versions on your PS5, like I ended up having to do).

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
This is old news. I think this depends on updates so far so the Valhalla update that released recently might have patched it. I do know insomniac added this with a patch for miles morales and spider-man remastered.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
is this like system level? weird to have without an update unless the new OS allow easier updating

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
That's good. That side of things was unnecessarily complicated before. Glad to see they're already making UI changes to improve it, imo the only part of the PS5 with glaring issues. That and the hard crashes I suppose.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Why even give the option? It blows my mind how badly Sony fucked this up. Just load the PS5 version if it's installing on a...PS5.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why even give the option? It blows my mind how badly Sony fucked this up. Just load the PS5 version if it's installing on a...PS5.
Nope, it's a great option. In fact, I'm blown away that Xbox doesn't even offer it.

A reminder that game preservation, even if it's digital, is always good.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
VR modes only work with the PS4 version of games. Also handy if there's an issue with save transfers or you just want to play the PS4 version. Maybe it runs better or is less buggy. Maybe it's worse and you want to write a review.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
You technically own both. You'd rather they block you from accessing something you paid for?
Why would you want to play a PS4 version when there is a PS5 version of the same available?

Nope, it's a great option. In fact, I'm blown away that Xbox doesn't even offer it.

A reminder that game preservation, even if it's digital, is always good.
What. Pop the disc in an Xbox one if for some reason you want to play a version of the same game at lower quality.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What. Pop the disc in an Xbox one if for some reason you want to play a version of the same game at lower quality.
That has to be one of the dumbest responses to this, wow.

How about something like FIFA, for example, where most of the community is on the PS4 version and almost no one playing the PS5 one? Should I lose access to the PS4 version if I bought it, and was playing it on my PS5 up until the next gen version came out?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I play the PS4 version of DbD because I can't currently access my DLC on the PS5 version, so no thanks to your suggestion.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

PS5 version of No Man Sky doesn't support VR, you would have to load up the PS4 version if you want to play in VR.

PS5/Next Gen version of Madden looks (playcalling) and plays differently than the PS4 version... also alot of PS4/Xbox1 versions of sports games that do not have cross play, have more users playing the PS4/Xbox1 versions because of install base. So someone might want to still play those versions.

So there are options for a reason.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

How about something like FIFA, for example, where most of the community is on the PS4 version and almost no one playing the PS5 one? Should I lose access to the PS4 version if I bought it, and was playing it on my PS5 up until the next gen version came out?
I might be totally mistaken, but wouldn't there be crossplay between the Xbox One and Xbox Series version (and then likewise between PS4 and PS5)? I mean, that's the way Smart Delivery usually works? At least with stuff like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4, I'm still playing the same game with people on Xbox One, it's just that my version has all the latest bells and whistles.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might be totally mistaken, but wouldn't there be crossplay between the Xbox One and Xbox Series version? I mean, that's the way Smart Delivery usually works? At least with stuff like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4, I'm still playing the same game with people on Xbox One, it's just that my version has all the latest bells and whistles.
FIFA does not use Smart Delivery even on the Xbox version, for example. No crossplay.

I don't have it on Xbox, but I think it's two different games you can download and decide which one to play. Like on PS5.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA does not use Smart Delivery even on the Xbox version, for example. No crossplay.

I don't have it on Xbox, but I think it's two different games you can download and decide which one to play. Like on PS5.

I think fifa and madden were one of the few titles that had that problem on Xbox. I didn't really know if i had the next gen version of madden until it was under the x/s tab on my menu.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019

But the option to download the one version is still there (for ea titles currently)

Also if you buy a next gen system don't you want the best version of your game. Isn't that the main reason why you get next gen.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
I play the PS4 version of DbD because I can't currently access my DLC on the PS5 version, so no thanks to your suggestion.
I understand that. But you shouldn't have to buy the same DLC twice, that sucks.

PS5 version of No Man Sky doesn't support VR, you would have to load up the PS4 version if you want to play in VR.

PS5/Next Gen version of Madden looks (playcalling) and plays differently than the PS4 version... also alot of PS4/Xbox1 versions of sports games that do not have cross play, have more users playing the PS4/Xbox1 versions because of install base. So someone might want to still play those versions.

So there are options for a reason.
Gotcha. I don't know anything about sports games, so I didn't know this was an issue. Weird that PS5 doesn't support VR games yet.

Simple, so you can earn two platinums
That's fair

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the option to download the one version is still there (for ea titles currently)

Also if you buy a next gen system don't you want the best version of your game. Isn't that the main reason why you get next gen.
Yes, but that option is there for any PS4/PS5 cross-gen game, that's the difference.
Also, like I said, FIFA in particular, no one is playing the next gen version online, yet the last gen version is full of people.

CHOICES ARE GOOD. That's the point.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

Edit: NVM I'm dumb. I assumed EA would've been smart.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that the EA sports games didnt seperate the playerbase in their next gen updates.
They did.

PS4 players can only play people playing the PS4 version (either on a PS4 or a PS5)
Xbox One players can only play people playing the Xbox One version (either on an Xbox One or a Series S/X)

www.ea.com

EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23 - Official Site

EA SPORTS™ FIFA 23 brings The World’s Game to the pitch, with next-gen HyperMotion2 Technology, women’s club football, two FIFA World Cup™ tournaments, cross-play, and more.

EDIT: saw your edit, it's somewhat dumb yes, but FIFA and Madden do have some (IMO, small) differences, gameplay wise, from last gen versions to the newer ones, so the online gameplay would be weird.