• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
http://www.radicalfishgames.com/?p=6892

First of all: We're still working on it and we're making really good progress. That being said, we hoped for a 2019 release earlier this year. And – as you can see – this did not work out as intended. We underestimated the amount of work a bit. Or, in other words, it became… complicated. Especially the performance became a major challenge. Lea would say: Why?
That's why: CrossCode is written in HTML5. And that means that there is tons of JavaScript. And live compiling it in a Chromium Browser is causing security issues on consoles and is forbidden on most platforms as hackers could attack the hardware through that. So we had to find a solution. Which is basically an interpreter which translates the code but locks it up in a cage. That also means: We had a performance bottleneck. As the code was read by the interpreter and then translated into something the console would understand and then read by the console. It is like watching a movie in a movie in a livestream. Yet: We have it under control now. We're still ironing out the last issues, fixing some broken bosses and quests (which also have to be interpreted which means the interpreter must be able to read them etc.). But we're getting there.

Sadly, Lea isn't able to say the word where yet. But the question would be: Where are we at right now? We are currently focusing on testing the Xbox One version of CrossCode. If everything works out as intended, this should be the last major playthrough. We're hunting the last performance killers, the last broken quests, the last weird behaving enemies. We are close to the first submission. We are already in the optional submissions. Yes, it runs (most times, but we're working on that) at 60 FPS by now. And yes, it plays as fluid as on PC.
How? How can we not mention Switch. Well, we're doing it now: We're focusing on the Xbox right now for no specific reason but just to focus on one platform. Technically, with the way the interpreter is working, the step to other platforms is rather easy from there. Okay, for the Switch we need to do some further optimization, but that's, compared to the rest, just some minor stuff. After that we'll "just" need to pass the certifications.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Aw. I saw it still listed as 2019 on the eShop just yesterday. Been really looking forward to this one since I played the demo on PC and dug the hell out of it.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
That's no problem. I'm just glad it's coming to my preferred platform at all. No need to rush it :)