• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
0hrI0Ig.jpg

Initial release date: Feb. 13th 2017
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Engine: Unity
Genre: Action-adventure game
Platforms: PlayStation 4, PC
Developers: Devolver Digital, Fourattic
Price: $14.99

Story:
It's 1986 in California. A group of friends discover a mysterious pink stone that allows to travel between two realms. This gang will live the summer of their lives in an adventure that will get them involved in a government conspiracy. Control five kids with special skills while fighting and solving puzzles in order to save their families and the world.

Gameplay:
Crossing Souls is an action-adventure set in a California suburb in the midst of a supernatural event that rocks the small community as grand forces siege the town. Control five characters: Chris, Matt, Charlie, Big Joe and Kevin, each one with their own skills and combat styles. Change characters on the fly and use each character's specialties to overcome any obstacle and target your foe's weaknesses. Fight in real-time, solve clever puzzles, face off against powerful bosses and play special levels inspired by 80's arcade video games.

Characters:
players_gif_x2.gif

PC System requirements:
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E4500 (2 * 3000) or equivalent
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 9600 GT (256 MB) or equivalent
Storage: 4 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 (2 * 3100) or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 460 (1024 MB)
Storage: 4 GB available space

Steam Link

Screen Pics:
DOm9mcA.jpg

NDOtzu3.jpg

d4OJLLa.jpg

JlTXNgl.jpg

pVOE35m.jpg

IL19gqL.jpg

iGe1eKe.jpg

Videos:
Announcement Trailer
Ready for Adventure PS4 Trailer

FRWg8fz.gif

Reviews:
Metacritic PS4 review
Opencritic Review

Trophy List:
Playstation Trophies.org Trophy List

Ui19FRD.png

Last edited:

Lain

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo on Steam, seems like an interesting game but I'm unsure about jumping in on release tomorrow.

Deleted member 35777

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Had $20 sitting aside for this after I heard if this doesn't sell well then the developer will go bust, they went all in.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
This is the Crossing Souls of indie games...

players_gif_x2.gif

All fixed, that was wierd.....

enjoy Sephiroth

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't work all night on an OT for all my work to be pointless...

oh wait...

I cant decide if I should play this on pc or ps4. On steam its probably will be cheaper than ps4.

$19.99 on each platform. Steam one will probably go on sale faster, but Sony has been sending out so many 10% off or 20% off coupons lately that it is probably a moot point.

I'd post the price, but I cannot find it online. Have you seen it mentioned anywhere? My assumption is $14.99 or $19.99, but......

$19.99

Had $20 sitting aside for this after I heard if this doesn't sell well then the developer will go bust, they went all in.

Definitely go give Fourattic your support. They have been working on this for years and it is very evident that every single Kickstarter dollar has gone into improving everything about the game. The graphics, the scope, the sound design, the animated cut scenes, etc.

Go support these guys and this amazing game.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely waiting for reviews on this one. It looks like it has potential, but both Owlboy and Fe are out this week..

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Really looking forward to this. Thought the demo was great.

Has the price changed? Last I saw the devs said this on Twitter.

j0with.jpg

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, I assumed $19.99 because I thought...I saw it...on the Steam page....

Hmm

Oh well. $14.99 is a great price.

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea about this game but checking out this OT and some trailers on steam has sold me. Looks awesome and i'm awesome down to support more of this kind of stuff.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
71 after five reviews, but with one 95% against a 50%, so quite the range.

Looks like a pitch perfect albeit slightly clunky game; and I gathered as much from the demo.

Can't wait to play tonight!

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I liked the demo and bought it to show support but i have so many games in the cue before this that i dont know when i will play it.

Last edited:

Culgan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's weird that the scores are so all over the place. Just played the first hour and a half or so and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Can't wait to get back from work and jump back in.

It's got this Stranger Things/Earthbound vibe to it and i'm digging it. Controls seem fine and game runs real smooth on PS4 so far. Haven't experienced any issues yet.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I think the demo took me 2.5 hours to play up until they unlock the duat, but half of that was talking to everybody and searching everything because of all the references and allusions.

MikeBluesky

Nov 27, 2017
Looks great... OK, let's do this! *looking for Vita version* <sadface> On PS4 it lands only on "buy when discounted" list. More games in this mood please and also - nice OT!

Machiavelli

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Started playing today and enjoying it, met with Matt, trying to find others, helping out the people in town.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME?!?!

Grabbed it on Steam last night and absolutely love it. Reminds me of Oxenfree with the combat of Hyper Light Drifter!

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've played for a couple of hours now I guess.

If you played the Stranger Things game that came out recently on mobile phones, this is basically that. Except a bit more linear, from what I've played so far (there's an overworld, obviously, but I don't think there's that much to do in it? Yet?)

It's beautifully presented and finely tuned in terms of gameplay systems (now that I've got used to the slightly odd control scheme). I'm not an 80s nostalgia fiend by any means so that perspective on things isn't what I'm massively interested in.

It's too early to say whether I'd recommend it as, thus far, aside from an entertaining boss battle, it's been a little samey - lots of mashing the attack button, really.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm. Wasn't expecting to be the last post in this thread still.

Finished the game off today. There are some odd design choices here that I'll put under spoilers.

1) The Wild West town segment, where you have to do a whole load of fetch quest conversations in a small area. There's a story there which is vaguely interesting but very disconnected from how the rest of the game has played out, save perhaps the bus driver sequence, and it feels like it slows down the pacing in a distracting way; why introduce time travel solely for a Back To The Future riff, when the dialogue then needs to explain why that can't be used to fix the problems caused by the game in the first place.

2) The game gets mechanically simpler as you go through it by virtue of the fact that it keeps killing off your party and removes the Duat stone from you. Given that the enemy types don't really update much, this seems somewhat counter-intuitive. The final boss fight itself is also something of a disappointment mechanically - the previous boss fight against the laser-spewing machine is far more satisfyingly difficult, while the very final boss phase I beat on my first go mostly by accident.

3) The ending is unsatisfying. Not the very end, where Charlie dies and meets up with her friends again - that's fine. However, the final confrontation with Seth doesn't seem to make sense to me - when Chris's heart is weighed, the cutscene seems to indicate that it's heavier than whatever's in the other side of the scales, which is exactly what it SHOULDN'T be. It also doesn't really indicate what happens as a result - is Seth dethroned from being King of the Duat? Surely this was a moment to use one of the cheesy 80s cutscenes, rather than do it all in-engine? I was expecting some sort of final climactic boss fight where all your dead friends came back to help you, to be honest. Not to mention some actual analysis of the impact of killing everyone in a small town except one teenage girl...

Artistically the game can't be faulted, and it's satisfying enough to play - I don't regret backing it at all. It is, however, a little anti-climactic.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I've been playing this all weekend and it's pretty good. I love the look and feel of the game. Great throwback.