• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Just found an interview from two weeks ago where they confirmed they are porting the engine.
How is the engine working with the console platforms at the moment?
AL:
Really good. We are happy with that. Yeah. It's become very streamlined to just ship one of our games on Xbox One or PS4 or Nintendo Switch. We are working on all of those platforms to make sure that we can at any point ship any game is. As long as that platform can actually handle the amount of content, we're probably not gonna ship the next big game older platform. But in theory, the engine supports a number of platforms.
So then the engine is working well with the Nintendo Switch?
AL:
We are working on porting for the Nintendo Switch. I'm not sure what's the current status and what we can share about that.
Can we expect The Talos Principle to hit the Switch?
DL:
Likely.
Source: https://wccftech.com/interview-croteam-alen-ladavac-ante-vrdelja/

There's also an "NX" platform flag in the Editor. NX is the codename for the Switch.
unknown.png

Job description from their website:
  • Developing tools and tech behind our in-house Serious Engine for multiple platforms (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Linux, OS X, Android, iOS…).
http://www.croteam.com/programmer/

They also already ported Serious Sam 3 to Tegra K1 a few years ago as a proof of concept.

Yes. We were even more amazed than you are. That's the first version of SS3 for Android. And it would not have been possible without this Tegra miracle. :) This chip looks like something that will knock everyone's socks off. We couldn't believe how good it is. It supports full OpenGL4, and we practically directly ported the entire PC game to it, along with PC content. It was not cut down like e.g. for Xbox 360.

As an additional point, when we compiled the code without errors and ironed the glitches in initialization code, as soon as it started the graphics correctly for the first time, it went right through the intro sequence, and into the game. Without any noticeable visual errors. I think I can safely say this is the first time ever. Normally, we'd have a few weeks of unexplainable black screens, inverted colors, garbage in textures, broken shaders, etc, until it looks ok visually. With K1, this just worked.

This is the breaking point where we can finally start shipping same games on both PC and in the "mobile space" (including microconsoles, future TVs, etc
https://steamcommunity.com/app/41070/discussions/0/630800446936367743/#c630800447016107026

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'm surprised nobody found that article earlier lol.

Glad to see more games come to Switch. Talos Principle is an amazing game

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More people getting the opportunity to play The Talos Principle can be nothing but good. Game is fucking phenomenal. I love it.
If you're asking about Talos, it is mostly not too challenging. There was only one puzzle room in the main story playthrough that I found particularly devious. There's optional hidden content and a DLC campaign though, and those are both very serious about ratcheting up the challenge.
MAKE MY DAMN SEQUEL.
Same. Can't wait for Talos 2 to happen.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The Talos Principle is simply an overlooked masterpiece, by far one of my favorite games of all time.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
The Talos Principle is significantly more difficult than other first person puzzlers on the market, but it is still manageable. I'd argue it also has the most intriguing story of all of them too. If you try to 100 percent you will find the game incredibly difficult, but the harder puzzles are quite rewarding.

Sam is great fun too. I hope they have an event planned where they show Sam on Switch and also finally show us a ton of Sam 4 gameplay (though that's probably above the Switch capabilities).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Serious Sam on the go...*drools*

Serious Sam GBA game was one of the best FPS games on the console and pretty close to console versions in terms of gameplay (come to think of it, GBA is still the handheld console with most FPS games. Wonder if Switch will change this).

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Serious Sam Switch |OT| Now It's Serious

Seriously the engine is crazy with what it can do.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Would love if they ported the xbox og version of Serious Sam to Switch.

Still the best Sam imo.

OP
OP
plebc

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
There's also an "NX" platform flag in the Serious Sam Editor. NX is the codename for the Switch.
unknown.png

JohnnyEnglish

Apr 15, 2018
TP coming to the switch is great. I'll buy the game again to support it.

I'm still waiting for Talos 2 though....

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The more platforms, the better. Everyone should play The Talos Principle.

Now about that sequel...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'd replay SS3 on the Switch for sure.
I loved Talos Principle also but it's not really a game I'd replay.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Clusterfuck? :( I'm really looking forward to SS4. Still hope the game will turn out great.
I don't know anything specific, but it's been under development in some form or another since around 2012. Talos was born out of an attempt to add puzzles to the Sam formula that wound up becoming an entirely different game, so that delayed it for a good while, and it's been another four and a half years since then. Talos ports and DLC have taken up some of that time, and we know they've been doing a bunch of engine work, which naturally slows things down, but I have to wonder if the massive scale SS4 is supposed to operate on has straight up made designing it exponentially harder.

I don't doubt that it'll be good whenever it does finally come out, and they've always been the sort to studio to keep their cards close to their chest, but it does feel like they're struggling at this point.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I bet that early Vulkan work is paying off for them here. If anything I'm surprised this port didn't come sooner, bet the engine guys were too busy with SS4.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Which Serious Sam game is the best and are any of them weak???
SS2's kinda weak thanks to console limitations keeping the scale of the maps down and an ill-advised change in tone, the effects of which permeate the game on every level. Both halves of 1 are great, and 3 takes after them so it's pretty great too, if a bit more divisive. Hard to say which one's really the best.

OP
OP
plebc

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
SS2's kinda weak thanks to console limitations keeping the scale of the maps down and an ill-advised change in tone, the effects of which permeate the game on every level. Both halves of 1 are great, and 3 takes after them so it's pretty great too, if a bit more divisive. Hard to say which one's really the best.
SS2 is my favorite actually! Very diverse worlds and maps and humor is also very silly!

People don't the art style because it looks cartoonish, but I think it looks much better than the previous two games.

Newer engines are based on SS2.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
SS2 is my favorite actually! Very diverse worlds and maps and humor is also very silly!
Yeah, I know a guy who likes it the best of all of them too, so there's a few true fans out there. It's a very asset heavy game that they clearly put a lot of effort into, but IIRC the tone shift was pushed on them by the publisher. Croteam themselves have said that it's considered non canon at this point, and the next Sam game after 4 is supposed to be a complete redo of it.

OP
OP
plebc

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, I know a guy who likes it the best of all of them too, so there's a few true fans out there. It's a very asset heavy game that they clearly put a lot of effort into, but IIRC the tone shift was pushed on them by the publisher. Croteam themselves have said that it's considered non canon at this point, and the next Sam game after 4 is supposed to be a complete redo of it.
I'm really excited about the remake! Hope they are going to keep the art style.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it would be wise to port over the Serious Engine, since it would mean that Croteam could do Serious Sam ports on top of Talos.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Clusterfuck? :( I'm really looking forward to SS4. Still hope the game will turn out great.
Me too. It's been in dev for a looong time though, and there's still no new info about it. I hope it's at least alright.

Which Serious Sam game is the best and are any of them weak???
I think the fan favorite is the Second Encounter. The First Encounter is also good.
SS2 I haven't played enough of to say but it feels kind of like a Nickelodeon cartoon tonally.

SS3 is alright. It's first few levels are kind of boring so it takes a bit to get going. They're all great co-op shooters though, it's fun taking on ridiculously large hordes of enemies and colossal bosses with your buds. The last couple of levels get insane.