• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Never heard of this site, but the meat of this is straight from the mouths of people with experience.

https://www.back2gaming.com/reviews/b2g-games/pc/opengl-vs-directx-what-really-happened/

"Opengl vs. DirectX what really happened"

I didn't title the thread after this blog post or whatever it is because I don't think the content delivered on that title. It turned out to be an okay read, though.

He asks two developers about why people choose opengl or directx, and gets two nice long answers. It's brief and not very technical. It touches on the reason we need to shift to the new thin api's, and a bit of the human factor.

So in short – the questions you are asking are perhaps a bit misstated. Just forget about OpenGL. For high performance gaming, going forward… OpenGL and DX11 are dead. It is only viable for retro games, simple demos, etc.

sddefault.jpg

*Image is from Eurogamer, not related to source.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man, I tried to use vulkan in Dota 2, but the experience was horrible. My frame rate decreased in half, and all fx where buggy. No reason for me to change it I will get worse experience for that.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Great blog post, I've always wondered why some DX11 games were performing better than with Vulkan/DX12. Hopefully devs will continue to master those APIs (hopefully more Vulkan support than DX12).