• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
www.businessinsider.com

Cruise lines, crippled by the coronavirus, could be left at sea by government aid that's going to airlines and other businesses

Cruise lines skirt American regulations by registering their ships in other countries. It might be coming back to bite them.

Many of the world's largest cruise lines have completely halted sailings as the spreading coronavirus throws entire economies into disarray.

But unlike airlines, which are set to receive a cash infusion from Congress' $2 trillion financial bailout package, cruise companies might not see a single cent.

The version of the bill as passed by the Senate Wednesday night and likely to be voted on by the House of Representatives as soon as Friday contains specific language for air carriers. Businesses in other industries not specified are also eligible for $4.5 trillion in loans, but only those that "are created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States and that have significant operations in and a majority of its employees based in the United States. "

That's where things get tricky for cruise lines.

In an effort to skirt American regulations, cruise ships are often registered in foreign countries in a practice known as "flags of convenience." Often, these are small Caribbean countries like Panama or the Bahamas. In addition to tax loopholes, these domiciles also conveniently come with lower minimum wages and fewer regulations, according to Politico.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Makes perfect sense, Non US based companies should not benefit from it. Now I wont be surprised to see Russian companies benefiting some how and it will be perfectly legal.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Good.
So sick and tired of people wanting to be part of society and not contribute into the society.

Oct 28, 2017
While the state of relief remains in limbo, the industry's lobbying arm — which spends more than $3 million annually, according to Politico — is likely to kick into high gear to make sure any secondary rounds of relief include cruise lines.

And I'm sure their lobbying will pay off.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this extends to all the corporations that have their headquarters in Ireland, just because they want to avoid taxes.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
These hospitality off-shoots have massive lobbying mechanisms in place, so they'll probably get something wedged into legislation within the next couple of months.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're fun. It's like a vacation on a massive party boat.

Stuck on a floating hotel with a bunch of cantankerous old people or a rude family and their screaming children that you cannot get away from because you're all stuck on a boat is not my definition of "fun." And yes, I'm basing this of a horrible, HORRIBLE experience I had with a cruise...

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good. They should all crumble. They wanted to reap the benefits of being in tax havens. They can reap what they sow.

Jul 18, 2018
Stuck on a floating hotel with a bunch of cantankerous old people or a rude family and their screaming children that you cannot get away from because you're all stuck on a boat is not my definition of "fun." And yes, I'm basing this of a horrible, HORRIBLE experience I had with a cruise...
Perhaps book a cruise line that isn't catered to families and young children?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'd recommend an adult only cruise, and only one that makes stops to several different countries. I can see why one may have a bad experience but I think they're pretty cool. I do prefer standard vacations but both are cool.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
You picked the wrong cruise tho

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I've never been on a cruise and I have no desire to change that. But different people like different things, so whatever floats your boat (pun intended).

That said I'm glad that they're not getting any of the stimulus money. A business that wants taxpayer support needs to pay taxes to receive it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Fear not, our government is working to fix this.

Fuck every single person in congress that vote to get those fuckers a cent.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Love it. Fuck that industry and its knowing contribution to the spreading of the pandemic worldwide.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bail them out if they will reflag with the US and pay taxes, otherwise no. However, there are 150K+ jobs at stake, so it's a tough call.

The CEO of Royal Carribean is worth $155 million alone. There is an avenue to pay his employees that doesn't involve taking a foreign government's tax money. There are actual US companies and citizens who need help before we start throwing money at literal millionaires.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bail them out if they will reflag with the US and pay taxes, otherwise no. However, there are 150K+ jobs at stake, so it's a tough call.
I'm pretty sure they're gonna fire a ton of people anyway.
If we care about the workers, we should pay directly to them, we can't let such shitty companies hold a gun to their workforce head and demand our money to save them, especially when we're talking about an industry as exploitative as cruises.