• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I've watched most of the anime listed on that list and the only one I could not get into at all was devilman. The Boruto fight should have won but meh. Violet Evergarden bored me but I did enjoy how it looked so I could see how it won best animation.

Also I am thoroughly surprised Darlin in the Franxx won best opening.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm content with these results, so many be so salty lol.

Also there is more to fight scenes than technicals. MHA All Might vs AFO beats that Boruto fight due to more than just the technicals, who cares about a fight with no emotional structure. Anyone can make a fight like that.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I'm content with these results, so many be so salty lol.

Also there is more to fight scenes than technicals. MHA All Might vs AFO beats that Boruto fight due to more than just the technicals, who cares about a fight with no emotional structure. Anyone can make a fight like that.
I think you just said "emotional structure" to give credibility to a mediocre fight. Please elaborate on this "emotional structure". I'll wait.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
And I remember people calling us salty for calling out all the My Hero Academia bias last year. The awards were trash and hearing that they won the best fight of 2018 made me facepalm. It got the emotional beat, but for visuals it was one of the worst fights of the year. Boruto was in the running and deserved it more.

I still wish whoever animated this fight would've done the Pein vs Naruto fight in its entirety. Hot damn.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you just said "emotional structure" to give credibility to a mediocre fight. Please elaborate on this "emotional structure". I'll wait.

Pretty obvious what I mean, but to clarify, I mean a fight that has a significant emotional impact to the viewers.

AFO and All Might's fight was a clash that had repercussions for the protagonist. It was his last fight, he gave it his all and people were invested in it.

I think Sword of a Stranger has the best technical fight scene, but it doesn't have the emotional component for it to be the best fight for example.

It doesn't matter as all of this is subjective and I agree with the other poster in this thread in that there is more to fights than animation.

Edit: the Boruto fight isnt bad, just not the best.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty obvious what I mean, but to clarify, I mean a fight that has a significant emotional impact to the viewers.

AFO and All Might's fight was a clash that had repercussions for the protagonist. It was his last fight, he gave it his all and people were invested in it.

I think Sword of a Stranger has the best technical fight scene, but it doesn't have the emotional component for it to be the best fight for example.

It doesn't matter as all of this is subjective and I agree with the other poster in this thread in that there is more to fights than animation.

Edit: the Boruto fight isnt bad, just not the best.
I wasn't invested in the fight. Their backstory is pretty simple, and their motivations don't resonate with pretty much anyone on a level that isn't superficial as their motivations are basic super hero tropes. Those who get invested in that type of stuff generally get invested in a lot of these tropes as it provides a simple emotional range: good triumphs over evil. I don't think anyone can argue All Might vs. All For One is particularly good or interesting because it's literally just a trope.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
there is an other part of the Boruto fight, an act 2 if you will where Boruto was given the reigns and also the vanishing rasengan scene prior to that with the included Sasuke flashback

add the Naruto sacrifice scene an episode or so back and there was build up towards the said finale

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
If Mob Psycho doesn't clean up next year in awards like Best Fight and Animation anime fans have terrible tastes.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
As long as voting is just a public poll, expect MHA to win every category its nominated for. Well, unless a new show becomes the next hotness. Before MHA, it was Yuri on Ice. I will admit that this year's and last year's results are nowhere near as bad as 'The Yuri on Ice" awards.

I'm shocked Violet Evergarden won best animation. I guess even MHA fans couldn't deny how good Violet Evergarden looked.
I don't think VE looked bad but in a world where Megalobox and devil man exist, I don't see how it won best animation.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Well, at least Yuasa won best director, and Devilman won AOTY, so that's nice. Although I wonder if that was just because MHA wasn't nominated for these two categories. Not that I think Devilman was quite the best of this year (I put it second after A Place Further Than The Universe), but it's still better than last year when Made in Abyss won.

Other than that, character design is I think the only category where my vote matched the actual winner. Although my actual first choice wasn't even nominated in a lot of the categories. Honestly, a lot of these awards feel like they were decided the moment the nominations went up. Best Animation is probably the only big outlier in this regard, because MHA didn't win it. Especially when you consider that it did win it last year, even though it was going against a pretty stacked field.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Violet Evergarden was only kind of good, with some standout parts, but if there is one thing it deserves was absolutely best animation.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with Anime of the Year and Best Voice Actor: Japanese.

All others the people got wrong. Democracy doesn't work, anime dictatorship now!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MHA will air this October and bring along a pretty hyped arc.
It's not looking so good for our boy mob

Was one of the worst arcs in the series for me :3

there is an other part of the Boruto fight, an act 2 if you will where Boruto was given the reigns and also the vanishing rasengan scene prior to that with the included Sasuke flashback

add the Naruto sacrifice scene an episode or so back and there was build up towards the said finale

Yea people saying this fight just had flashiness and little to emotional aspect to it baffle me

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
the arc for MHA this October is my favorite MHA arc then after that with the exception of one mini arc the series kind of fell flat for me