• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
1*8lbYIyskelZRaw--9Dc2Mw.gif

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
God, what a difference a couple decades make huh? Flip that percentage, and that's probably close to what it was in the early 90s when I was growing up.

Ultimately, that's so positive - and it's great that people have discovered that anime isn't a genre in and of itself - that they can find the genres they like within in. Good stuff.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
They clearly didn't have a childhood. Before becoming an adult you have to watch Dragon Ball Z. It is a must.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ratio of cringy horny straight boy garbage to stuff you could watch in front of other people is waaaaaaay off; and it's soured me on the whole medium.

Like all media, 90% of it is bad. But the good is great, and anime remains the last bastion of 2D animation. There are plenty of shows that don't touch on any of the themes you are worried about.

Oct 25, 2017
That surprised me at first, but it makes a lot of sense when I compare anime now to the late 90s--Nearly everything is available legally, simulcasting is a thing, a lot of it is on services people are growing up with anyway (DID YOU KNOW ONIISAMA E/DEAR BROTHER IS ON PEACOCK? kids these days don't know how mind-blowing this would have been to teenage me), and we're at the point where the growth in profile of anime in the 90s now means parents who don't view it as weird. Anime is no longer a super-niche thing; you can just straight up stumble across it in general and it's a lot more generally accessible so it makes sense that it would just be a normal thing that exists to future generations.

While my anime viewing has decreased significantly since my teenage heyday--I think I watch maybe one actually new series a calendar year (this year was Wonder Egg Priority and I will never find enough bleach to get that last episode out of my brain just WHY)--the rising popularity has also done a wonderful job of making formerly niche licensing unicorns accessible so it's neat to be able to go back and revisit stuff.

Good job Gen Z, I guess.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
White people most likely, considering the crowd who watch anime are usually asians and black people.

That doesn't sound right when the stereotype is usually an overweight white dude with a neck beard and wearing cargo shorts and a fedora.

Maybe it's different now but man I remember it being a super nerdy white suburb thing. At least for anything that wasn't even on Toonami.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Anime is bigger than ever. Netflix is spending some cheddar on it.

Streaming has been a huge boon to it.

That doesn't sound right when the stereotype is usually an overweight white dude with a neck beard and wearing cargo shorts and a fedora.

Maybe it's different now but man I remember it being a super nerdy white suburb thing. At least for anything that wasn't even on Toonami.

Anime is huge in Latin America and with Black Culture.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with the casual hate for anime around here?

The short answer is that anime is bad.

The long answer is that a lot of the time these threads here are laser focused on Shonen anime, or anime for young boys. So you've got folks in their 20s and 30s watching My Hero Academia and wondering why the characters are paper thin and why every problem is resolved by Deku crying about friendship and breaking all his bones, and meanwhile they watched Naruto over a decade ago and wilded even though Naruto is the exact same kind of story.

Another contributing factor is that anime discussion very rarely puts its best foot forward, often as a result of that Shonen focus, so newbies who heard about these cool cartoons with long running fantasy/sci-fi plots and sick-ass fights want to know where to go and get recommended shows that, fairly often, get really weird really fast. Spy x Family, a manga running in Shonen Jump, is a series I consider to be a modern classic, except I don't know how to recommend it to anyone but other anime fans because one of the major characters is the younger brother of the series' female lead, and his defining character trait is that he wants to fuck his sister and is so obsessed with her that he hates her daughter on the grounds that she's taking her attention. If I try to shill it, do I go "look it's fine, he's only in like 10 chapters. There's not that much incest" when people who aren't into anime are used to a 0% amount of incest in anything they enjoy?

At the end of the day the kind of person who's going to be willing to make blanket judgments of anime is the kind of person who isn't really interested in the first place. Maybe they're not into what can be broadly defined as "the typical anime look", maybe the focus on young protagonists is irksome, maybe they used to love it and got burned. It's easier to make those calls when they're outsiders and don't have a vested interest in this kind of media, like how the entire American comic book industry for decades got boiled down to superheroes owned by two companies, so even though non-superhero comics have existed for about a century, it's still real easy to judge the entire industry as that place where Batman appears in a million issues where nothing ever happens.

My advice is that if we want to get newcomers into anime (and judging by the thread's topic, that isn't really hard), give 'em the good shit. Cowboy Bebop, Pluto, Wotakoi, Vinland Saga, Goodnight Punpun, 20th Century Boys. Show them while, yeah, Creepy Anime Bullshit does exist, there's also a lot of really good series that aren't filled with Creepy Anime Bullshit and can be enjoyed without fear of cringing so hard you eat your own lips.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
You threw the baby out with the bath water. Classic blunder.
Like all media, 90% of it is bad. But the good is great, and anime remains the last bastion of 2D animation. There are plenty of shows that don't touch on any of the themes you are worried about.
Hey I like some animes! I'm not innocent here I'm throwing these stones at myself. But I feel like 90% of other mediums are bad in different ways, rather than the sex comedy stuff I feel to old for now. Like, nobody is making I can't believe that in this alternate dimension I wondered into my little sister is a sex gremlin?! the motion picture, you know?

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not very surprising. Anime is everywhere on internet and streaming services. Even less mainstream series (i.e. not shounen) are getting more buzz these days.

What's with the casual hate for anime around here?
Anime is popular enough nowadays that it's cooler for nerds to say it's all trash. The same happens with other stuff like superhero movies and online games.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I like some animes! I'm not innocent here I'm throwing these stones at myself. But I feel like 90% of other mediums are bad in different ways, rather than the sex comedy stuff I feel to old for now. Like, nobody is making I can't believe that in this alternate dimension I wondered into my little sister is a sex gremlin?! the motion picture, you know?
but konosuba got a movie

www.awn.com

‘KONOSUBA! God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Legend of Crimson’ Debuts in Theaters November 12

Crunchyroll and Fathom team up to for an exclusive movie night in over 600 cinemas across the US.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel that an important thing to talk about wrt isekai anime is that it's a fad. It's everywhere right now because it's a reliable cash-in, but it'll die out eventually and maybe four of them will be remembered.

Just about all of them are lowest common denominator trash made for horny otaku, and just like the isekai's ancestor, the story about a magic school except instead of learning magic it's a harem, it'll die eventually.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up Gen Z.

So they're next up to Millennials? I'm getting old.

SMH at Gen Z.