• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just got this email and someone else on Twitter did as well:

Just... wow...

Any other regions got a price jump?

EDIT: Mods change "Free" to "Fee" please. New phone spelling errors.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Like everything Crunchyroll does, they tried it in Canada a year back. it costs $95.88/yr (7.99/mo) here, and we lost the ability to stream SD for free with Ads years ago

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I pay monthly for it $6.95 US and got an email that it's going up to $7.99 in August for existing users and new users sooner.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez- how much was the monthly rate in the UK? in the US it's $7 a month/$70 a year

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i mean their player on consoles upgrade is in another level

they went from shit, the very good.

still, this is STEEP

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I will cancel after Attack on Titan S3 is over.

Can't fucking stand their potato servers. Still remember the days when the whole site crashes when a new Dragon ball Super episode is out.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The CR monthly sub in NA is going up by a dollar which is fine.

39.99 GBP for a yearly sub sounds like a crazy ass deal wtf. Seems like they underpriced there. I'm paying way more currently.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
honestly they've kept the same price for years now, I just checked my email and a yearly sub is going to $80 a year.

I'm good until 2020 tho, they probably wanna up the price because they're investing in more original content now.

Been subbed since 09 I think at launch? I'l stick around.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Just had an email saying my monthly sub was going up from £4.99 to £6.50, which seemed fairly reasonable. That annual increase is insane though.

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the email about the price moving from $59 to $79. We've been using Crunchyroll more than Netflix so I'll continue to subscribe; but I'm more worried that the price hike won't bring more content.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Like everything Crunchyroll does, they tried it in Canada a year back. it costs $95.88/yr (7.99/mo) here, and we lost the ability to stream SD for free with Ads years ago

What? It's $69.99 CAD a year for Crunchyroll here. If you're paying monthly obviously it costs more though. And it cost me $59.99 last time I paid last year.

Last edited:

sarmonic

Oct 29, 2017
I just got the email too. It's unfortunate but it still comes out to under $7/mo which I think is still a decent price considering how much I use it. However, I do hope the price increase comes with improvements to the service and selection.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Considering a script for Netflix costs $8.99 a month I'm surprised a script for crunchy costs a low.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Got the email too for my month pricing in NA (will be the same for 3 months). Things have been stable more lately. I usually stream on my phone when I'm out and would have connection issues sometimes, but never problems on my PC or Xbox, that others have seemed to have. There's still A LOT of broken stuff though, especially with their manga stuff since the last Dec update... I really hope they fix that, because although the chapters trickle out slowly, I found a lot of good stuff on there, which sadly suffers from these bugged issues :/ (The one thing it has over the Shonen Jump app, was how it showed your chapter progress, MUCH better than SJ's update).

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017
They lost a ton of content including the first seasons of their most popular shows and now a huge price increase?

If you think this increase will mean more licensed content, you're delusional. This is going to finance more branding events and original content that their subscriber base wants nothing to do with.

Also fuck them for abandoning the drama section and removing shows without warning.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Considering they will probably lose My Hero Acadmeia S4, there's literally zero reason for me to be subbed to CR anymore once my sub runs out in June.

This is the icing on the cake. No thanks.

OP
OP
MouldyK

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just had an email saying my monthly sub was going up from £4.99 to £6.50, which seemed fairly reasonable. That annual increase is insane though.

That's £60 a year to £78 for you guys though.

So before buying monthly cost 50% more a year in the long run, £40 Vs £60.

Now it's only £13 more, so 20% savings only.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
High quality content like that weird CalArts style cartoon doesn't pay for itself. I'm sure they're hurting after the Funimation slip and want to get as much from their dedicated base as possible. I think more people will begin to turn toward piracy though.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It was inviable in Brazil before the change, now it's just crazy. And they are trying to finish piracy lol

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I have been with CR for a while, I miss the Funimation back catalog but will continue to support them. I just hope they can snag some older back catalog series from other services.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Hmm Canada over here and still not email. That's a pretty steep increase though. I use it a lot so I'll probably still sub but damn, don't understand how they can justify this.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I just canceled my Amazon Music subscription, and then Crunchyroll increases on me? Jeez louise.

Still worth it for Mob and Jojo, but I sure hope that this increase means better service. Crunchyroll needs to include the ability to download episodes.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
United States here. I got the same email. Yearly rates are going from $59.99/year to $79.99/year, starting on May 1. I also find it strange that CrunchyRoll auto-renews a week before the subscription ends, but looking into that, it's because they count one year as 360 days, not 365. Yes, I'm serious.

DJBRYNv.png

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So I sub to VRV which covers this right?

Should I expect a price bump there too?

lupe121283

Oct 31, 2017
I also got it this morning for the NA. I am going to keep it. My nieces and nephew use it for Buruto and I use for MOB Psycho 100 for this season. I am more watching on Funimation and Hidive.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Will hang on to it for now as it's the only place to stream the MHA sub in the U.K., plus Mob and Love is War are pretty amazing

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'd think recently losing a large chunk of their content would be a bad timing for a price increase but here we are.

I don't watch a whole lot of anime anymore so next time my yearly sub ends I think I'll just switch to sporiadic monthly subs like I already do with other streaming services.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Damn! I was planning to sub once DBS comes back, but I'll wait and see how much it'll end up costing me. I used CR back when Super was on.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely this means they won't be compressing the shit out of older aired episodes anymore, right?

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, this is a huge increase. I will keep my sub since I'm watching mob, love is war and promised Neverland this season, but after these series end I'm not sure if it's worth paying for the service.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Boy these anime streaming sites sure do seem to want piracy back for some reason.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Boy these anime streaming sites sure do seem to want piracy back for some reason.

I mean, you can say the same about ANY streaming service. Almost everything has had a price hike in the recent year: Netflix, Amazon Prime (at least as the whole package), Hulu... It's not too much of a surprise that these things raise in price. Every time Netflix goes up $1 people bail. It's just how subs are, and should be expected for prices to be raised. However, if Crunchyroll actually uses these price hikes to FIX their broken stuff, then I have no issues with it. If things stay as they are now, then that's the real problem.

lupe121283

Oct 31, 2017
If people had the means of pirating they would have by know. Or they can go to another service that also day 1 release. If it's aniplex release then those shows will go to hulu plus, funimation, VRV, and crunchyroll.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you can say the same about ANY streaming service. Almost everything has had a price hike in the recent year: Netflix, Amazon Prime (at least as the whole package), Hulu... It's not too much of a surprise that these things raise in price. Every time Netflix goes up $1 people bail. It's just how subs are, and should be expected for prices to be raised. However, if Crunchyroll actually uses these price hikes to FIX their broken stuff, then I have no issues with it. If things stay as they are now, then that's the real problem.
They're not going to fix their broken stuff. Last year their tech team got fired so a director could give the work to a friends outsourcing company.