• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
That was unexpected. Thought there would be at least one more expansion first.

Hard to imagine where they will go with this. They're going to have to fight really hard to avoid the Civ 'less content than the previous game with expansions' curse.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a hard sell with the amount of content CK2 has, but I'm still hyped.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, people were pretty much expecting this after CK2 went free. I'm sure I'll buy this day one. CK2 is probably my most played Paradox game.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
ss_4b65bf29169deb32ca70b5f5716bb98c6e0c687f.jpg

Gimme.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
UI looks really sleek. Part of me will miss the dorky portraits though.

Hard to believe the original game came out in 2011. Almost ten years of support for a single game.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

In a first for Paradox Development Studio, Crusader Kings 3's characters will be rendered in full 3D from head to toe and use a new, more granular DNA system that will allow children to more smoothly blend the traits of their parents from generation to generation. These character models will have varied appearances, hairstyles, and clothing based on their culture and social class, as well as differing postures and expressions based on their traits-a brooding spymaster might be hunched over, while a proud duke might turn his nose up. The engine also allows them to appear with different props, backgrounds, and poses in event pop-ups instead of Crusader Kings 2's static images.

Cadet branches, long requested by the Crusader Kings 2 community, are one of the most exciting new features. Every dynasty in the game will now exist as an unlanded title held by the head of the dynasty. However, distant relatives with enough prestige can form a cadet house with its own heraldry and words that gain some autonomy, while still being subservient to the parent dynasty. In a case where the "main" line of a dynasty ends, a cadet house can pick up where they left off.

Religion has also been greatly expanded. Now each religion will be represented by a number of tenets and doctrines that provide mechanical benefits and define rules such as views on homosexuality and women priests. With enough piety, it will be possible to found a new heresy from your parent religion with all of the traits and doctrines picked by you becoming more expensive to found based on how much you want to depart from the Mother Church. This system will also allow for more realistic depictions of historical heresies like Catharism and Iconoclasm.

Provinces in Crusader Kings 3 will, in addition to culture and religion, be represented by Development and Control stats. Development works sort of like Civilization value in Imperator: Rome, modeling how built up and productive an area is. Tribal rulers will care less about this, while feudal ones will get more taxes from higher development and be incentivized to build it up. Control replaces the old Revolt Risk, modeling how much authority you have over a province.
On the military side, Knights have been introduced, which are named characters who can join your armies and are very potent in battle. While you'll still raise your forces from off-map like in Crusader Kings 2, there is now a distinction between peasant levies, which are your cannon fodder basic troops, and Men-At-Arms, better-trained warriors like armored swordsmen and longbowmen which you will be able to hire and control the ratios of different troop types within. They won't exist on the map permanently like Crusader Kings 2's retinues, but rather are called up alongside the peasant mob when you raise your levies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Gosh those changes sound great.
UI looks really sleek. Part of me will miss the dorky portraits though.

Hard to believe the original game came out in 2011. Almost ten years of support for a single game.
Yeah, it's bananas. Back then Paradox was a small, relatively unknown publisher of niche strategy games. Now they have enough announcements to rival a console manufacturer.

Their ascent has been incredible to experience.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they're leaning into the RPG aspects, which makes a lot of sense. Feels like many people played it more like an SRPG than a straight-up grand strategy.

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. But I'll definitely wait 'till it has at least as much content as CK2.
I wonder if Paradox is ever going to go head-to-head with CA and add RTS battles to their historical titles.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Will be interesting to see how long it will take until it is as content rich as ck2.

its gonna be base CK2 with a better looking map

Well the map expansions are in. Don't know about the other content they brought.

Use marriage, diplomacy and war to increase your power and prestige in a meticulously detailed map that stretches from Spain to India, Scandinavia to Central Africa.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Think this is the first deal like this for gamepads on PC. It's similar to how games coming to Epic are announced but without the exclusivety.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It's been in development I think longer than Imperator was and still has a year to go, so that's good news. I think it's reasonable to expect some things to be cut from CK2 because they weren't good and obviously lots of new stuff seems to be added in.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah when CK2 went F2P I had a feeling this might have been their new game.

I recall the people from 3 Moves Ahead saying that they'd heard they were interested in turning a potential sequel into a bit more of an RPG, which is a direction they lightly flirted with already.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah when CK2 went F2P I had a feeling this might have been their new game.

I recall the people from 3 Moves Ahead saying that they'd heard they were interested in turning a potential sequel into a bit more of an RPG, which is a direction they lightly flirted with already.
It makes a lot of sense. CK2's best aspects are when it leans into being more of a roleplaying game than strategy game. Like personally, I've always enjoyed it most when playing in character vs. optimally. It makes the numbers games of other strategy titles look a little dry in comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see if people flock to the new game or stay with CK2 because of the content. Always thought their DLC strategy will bite them in the ass eventually if they try to make a sequel.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see if people flock to the new game or stay with CK2 because of the content. Always thought their DLC strategy will bite them in the ass eventually if they try to make a sequel.
Nah, it would work out just like any other live/GaaS game. The people that have been playing regularly since it came out will be more than ready for the big new thing. And for whatever it lacks, CK2 will still be there for them.

Like, CK3 is not an incremental sequel, but a radical one. A lot of fundamental systems are being rethought or massively expanded, changing the game at a fundamental level. It's not just "more CK2" but something that (should) stand on its own, if that makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017
I am loving this emerging trend of Paradox putting new releases on Game Pass.

The dream would be if game pass subscribers can purchase the dlc at a discount.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it would work out just like any other live/GaaS game. The people that have been playing regularly since it came out will be more than ready for the big new thing. And for whatever it lacks, CK2 will still be there for them.

Like, CK3 is not an incremental sequel, but a radical one. A lot of fundamental systems are being rethought or massively expanded, changing the game at a fundamental level. It's not just "more CK2" but something that (should) stand on its own, if that makes sense.

We'll see, either way I don't like their bite sized ala carte DLC strategy because I always feel like I'm playing an inferior game without having everything.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully they have a more accessible tutorial because even after doing that, I had no idea what I was doing. So many screens and menu's to keep track of.