• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
I love CK2 but I am two expansions behind on schedule. Not that impressed with this feature list though or am I missing something? Is this a 10€ dlc?

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I love paradox games, but I hate their DLC policy. Both EU4 and CK2 have drained hundreds of hours from my life, but I'm several DLCs behind in both, and catching up is at least the cost of a full game. My current version of EU4 (up to date patches but about 4 or so expansions behind) is balanced horribly. I can't return to the game I love unless I pay again.

I wish they just wound each game down after 3 or so years and released an incremental sequel instead of growing to the point of the current product being the original game + up to a dozen expansion packs.

Rant aside, expanding Crusader Kings into all of Eurasia is awesome. I love how over the last few years so much effort has been given to the non-European cultures. It gives the game a ton more diversity, both in the cultural sense and the gameplay sense.

cerullo

Oct 27, 2017
Always love a new CK2 dlc and this looks interesting. I've not got round to Monks and Mystics yet but just seen it's 50% off on Steam so that's tomorrow's plan sorted. Wonder how long we'll keep getting new expansions for, the game's fairly old now

OP
OP
Rosejamie95

Rosejamie95

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always love a new CK2 dlc and this looks interesting. I've not got round to Monks and Mystics yet but just seen it's 50% off on Steam so that's tomorrow's plan sorted. Wonder how long we'll keep getting new expansions for, the game's fairly old now
They said this might be last one but can't remember when they said it.

OP
OP
Rosejamie95

Rosejamie95

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I love paradox games, but I hate their DLC policy. Both EU4 and CK2 have drained hundreds of hours from my life, but I'm several DLCs behind in both, and catching up is at least the cost of a full game. My current version of EU4 (up to date patches but about 4 or so expansions behind) is balanced horribly. I can't return to the game I love unless I pay again.

I wish they just wound each game down after 3 or so years and released an incremental sequel instead of growing to the point of the current product being the original game + up to a dozen expansion packs.

Rant aside, expanding Crusader Kings into all of Eurasia is awesome. I love how over the last few years so much effort has been given to the non-European cultures. It gives the game a ton more diversity, both in the cultural sense and the gameplay sense.
They added some new parts in the middle east and to Hungary. The new features looks amazing so can't wait to give it a go.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I finally tried my first Paradox game - Stellaris with all the DLC - and quite enjoyed it.

It did come off a little... formulaic? I guess it seemed to hug the 4X vibes closely.

How is CK2 with that in mind? I always wanted to play it. Also, what DLC do you recommend?

I just sold a bunch of PUBG clothes & the game is on sale so I'm all in.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I love CK2 but I am two expansions behind on schedule. Not that impressed with this feature list though or am I missing something? Is this a 10€ dlc?
I highly recommend the last two expansions when you want to get back into it, it changed up and improved the game so much after it got stale around the time of Conclave. With Reaper's Due and Monks and Mystics you can see PDS really finding its new footing with the Crusader Kings series with where it wants to take it by combining RPG elements and grand strategy, I think we'll see this with a bigger focus in CK3. The RPG elements initially with CK2 came by as a result of the sandbox nature of CK2's grand strategy design, now they are trying to take a more conscious effort in design by adding more RPG elements in combination with grand strategy that suits CK franchise well.

For example the artifact system, now you as the ruler and your family can own things like a special weapon that can be passed down the generations (you can lose it) which gives bonuses, you can loot them from kings you are in a feud with in a war, there are religious ones too. It's things like that in terms of making conscious RPG design choices that is making the game refreshing.

Henrik Fåhraeus also at PDXCon this year said they are working on CK3 and Paradox only really does sequels to its grand strategies when they can come up with major new design warranting a new iteration and I think these last two expansions have given us a taste of where they will be improving the CK franchise with in the next installment.

I finally tried my first Paradox game - Stellaris with all the DLC - and quite enjoyed it.

It did come off a little... formulaic? I guess it seemed to hug the 4X vibes closely.

How is CK2 with that in mind? I always wanted to play it. Also, what DLC do you recommend?

I just sold a bunch of PUBG clothes & the game is on sale so I'm all in.

Even though I like Stellaris it is by far their weakest strategy game and yes it can be formulaic. In fact one of the reasons that their other games are difficult for many is because they're not formulaic, Stellaris is a 4x game for the most part just like Civilization which are formulaic, fun games, but just like Civilization there's too much of a pattern. Their other games are grand strategy, which involves tons of mechanics and planning and strategising for things long-term which is also why it has robust and in-depth diplomacy mechanics to assist, they are not just simple conquest games, and you can even conquer things in CK2 without going to war. Grand strategy is asymmetric, meaning if you play a game like Europa Universalis IV then yes the Ottomans are going to be incredibly powerful early on just like in history and yes maybe if you are playing the Mamluks you are not near as powerful as Ottomans, but this is where its deep diplomacy mechanics come into play so that you can with the aid of others deal with greater powers.

That's the case with CK2, the game is also completely asymmetric. It also has tons of diplomacy features that you don't find in 4x games, i.e you can't just declare war because you want war, you need to get a casus belli (a justification for war) and how you do this can be achieved in many ways, sometimes purposefully, sometimes arising accidentally that use as an opportunity. You can play as a count, duke, or king, meaning that if you play as something below king then it's much tougher since you are a vassal and have an allegiance to your king, but can be very interesting if you want to place yourself on the throne...

This means that there is tons of internal conflict in kingdoms themselves, sometimes visible... sometimes in the shadows with secret plots, since you and other AI can try to place themselves on the throne too. Again if you play as king it's not necessarily easier either since you have to contend with all of that too. The reason is that you don't really "own" all of the land per se, you have to pass it off over for administration which are your vassals, your vassals can rebel against you and can gather support. The game has tons of mechanics to contend with this such as espionage.

You can look at all the diplomatic mechanics alone here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Diplomatic_actions

Remember that there are things like laws and the council, as well as council positions you have to contend with who gets to be on it, changing up the politics and policies in your realm can have major impacts within but also geopolitically.

Also the game all revolves around titles, you need to have claims to titles, how you get those claims can be achieved in many ways, again because it's a grand strategy there is no simple "I want war, I want this", you need to interact with a lot of mechanics to achieve things like that, such as through marriages, espionage, etc.

And of course the "grand goal" is to have your dynasty to last through all the centuries to the end, so you play as the head of your dynasty, and then they die, then you continue playing as its heir like your son or daughter, etc, and all of them continue with the same history and consequences from say what maybe happened 150 years prior. Your characters have tons of attributes and traits that affect it, so you can land up with a son that could be infertile and is the heir to your kingdom... do you murder through a plot? Send him off to lead a war in hope he dies? Imprison? If you land up playing him and you can't produce any children then your dynasty is at risk.

And of course this is all happening in the world too, such as neighbouring kingdoms, the whole of Europe, Middle-east, part of North and East Africa, and part of Asia (Indian subcontinent) and now with upcoming expansion mainland de jure China is simulated.

There's so much to go into with CK2 and all PDS grand strategy games because they're very different from 4x games and you could write books on the extent of its gameplay, but I recommend you read up on CK2 and you will find tons of information out there. Maybe watch some let's plays too.

Last edited:

cerullo

Oct 27, 2017
Great post hobblygobbly , I'd also add for anyone going into it for the first time that one of the best things about the game is that you don't have to play it to win to get a lot out of it. Conquering the world can be nice for a goal but some of the most fun I've had with it has been when things have gone wrong for my dynasty and I've had to pick up the pieces, or making the most of a terrible heir or some of the event chains and their unexpected consequences. The biggest strength of the game I think is the variety of things that it allows to happen, and from that the varieties of ways to play. More and more what I've mainly enjoyed from it is the way it works as a kind of story generator (which is where I can see them going for a sequel, which makes me very happy).

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I didn't find any other thread talking about CK2. I'm hoping you can help me choose a few DLC to buy, I'm probably buying jade dragon + 1 other DLC.
I don't have the following DLC: horse lords, conclave, reaper's due and monk and mystics.
Which would you choose and why?

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't find any other thread talking about CK2. I'm hoping you can help me choose a few DLC to buy, I'm probably buying jade dragon + 1 other DLC.
I don't have the following DLC: horse lords, conclave, reaper's due and monk and mystics.
Which would you choose and why?

Horse Lords doesn't really add anything to the game unless you're planning on playing as a nomad.
Conclave is overall kind of important to the game, as its revamps the council and education system. Not necessarily for the better, but it does that.
Reaper's Due is my favorite DLC of them all - it revamps the health system, makes so that plagues are actually a thing in the game, added prosperity, lots of flavor. Overall, this is the one you should pick up if you couldn't pick any of the others.

And I don't have Monks and Mystics, although I've read that's also a mixed bag too.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is this now the official CK2 OT? I decided to jump back in on my Flanders dynasty working on building up my duchy enough that I can take down the Karlings from the inside!

Huge set of patch notes up for the patch accompanying Jade Empire

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ev-diary-74-patch-notes-achievements.1053632/

For those more accustomed to reading the TLDR and much better summary, here is the reddit summary of the notes. Much cleaner :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKi...atch_28_jade_dragon_notes_what_they_actually/