• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is your favorite?

• Alien Crash/Crush

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Devil's Crash/Devil Crush

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Dragon's Fury/Devil Crash MD

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Jaki Crush

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Alien Crush Returns

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Anyone else have a deep appreciation for games in this particular series?

A refresher for those familiar and a primer for those unfamiliar...

Alien Crash/Crush (PC-Engine/Turbografx-16)

alc.jpg
Alien_Crush_Coverart.png

The one that started it all. Released in 1988 for the Japanese PC-Engine and a launch title for the US Turbografx-16, this game coupled the aesthetics of Alien and HR Giger, an atmospheric OST and pinball together in one strange, surreal package. The game, and most of the series' future installments, was designed by Compile-- creators of Zanac, Aleste and, perhaps most famously, Puyo Puyo.

alc03.gif

I originally played it around it's US release on a relative's Turbografx and it honestly creeped out younger me.

The game is an interesting take on pinball because while it is one primary table, meeting certain criteria in-game will cause the player to gain access to certain bonus tables which function like boss battles.

Alien_Crush_Bonus_3.png

It's a deeply impressive game, especially for a first installment. Though I prefer it's immediate sequel, I will always suggest newbies to the series to start here. It's not available worldwide on current consoles, though it is still up on PSN for PSP/PS3, Japanese 3DS and Wii-U.

Alien Crush- Lunar Eclipse

Devil Crash/Devil's Crush (PC-Engine/Turbografx-16)

Devil%27s_Crush_Coverart.png
devilcrash.jpg

Alien Crush's sequel went for a decidedly different theming-- dark fantasy. But that's not all that is different; the main table has greater vertical height (taking up three screens instead of two), a greater variety of bonus rooms with much more intricately designed boss challenges and an even more killer, upbeat OST.

Due to the occult imagery used in the game (think 80's metal cover), the US version has some strange localization changes to mask things like usage of the pentagram.

300x.jpg

Devil's Crush- Main Theme

Like Alien Crush before it, it's kind of tricky to locate the game nowadays. It's pretty much stuck on the same exact platforms as Alien Crush.

While it is my favorite game in the series, it's not my favorite version... That honor goes to...

Devil Crash MD/Dragon's Fury (Mega Drive/Genesis)

devilcrushmdcover-256x360.jpg
51YHYFHqOSL._AC_SX215_.jpg

Before moving on... can we appreciate how bad the Western boxart for this game is? It reminds me of a fantasy novel hidden away in a Waldenbooks in 1991.

While this port is notable for its changes, it is also notable for being designed by Technosoft, developers of Herzog Zwei and the seminal Thunder Force series. Though this is probably a very subjective thing about where your tastes lie, the soundtrack thumps even harder here than it does on Turbo-- sounding more like the thrashy sort of music you expect from this developer.

Scoring is slightly different and the boss battles are mostly completely redrawn or flat-out different. Courtesy of Sega-16:

Side-by-Side-Dragons-Fury-Devils-Crush-4.gif

Physics feel very slightly different between the two-- which one is the best probably comes down to personal taste.

Devil Crash MD- Main Theme

Sadly, this game is pretty much stuck on the Genesis/Mega Drive and has never seen a release anywhere else.

The next title isn't even made by either one of these teams and its a black sheep if there ever was one...

Dragon's Revenge (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)

!!e!T8gw!2M~$(KGrHqEOKo4E0Wp3rQb8BNP2m(IN4w~~_1.JPG

(There is a Japanese release but the boxart is effectively the same)

So this one is a bit a deviation from the others. I assume that Dragon's Fury on Genesis did okay in the West as this is a Western-developed sequel to that game!

This game really ramps up the, uh, dragon theme. It falls very short of the standards of the other two games but it's not necessarily a bad game-- just relative to the stellar titles before it.

review-dragonsrevengegen-big-3.jpg

Aesthetically-- nothing in this game seems to be congruent. You know how people complain about indie games having mismatched styles of pixel art? Imagine that in the early 90s coupled with the most budget of fantasy novel covers and you sort of have an idea of what this game looks like. When people unfairly call Genesis games reductive garbage like "robot farts"... you can kind of apply it to this one. Plus there are weird female voice overs of the dragon lady that tend to make very sexualized moans when you hit certain bumpers on the board.

Speaking of the board, this one doubles the real-estate of Devil's Crush and is three screens vertically and horizontally. As a result, the hazards and stage feel broken up and don't flow together as naturally as they do in the previous titles. Again, this is a pretty ok console pinball game but a bad Crush/Crash title.

For better or worse, this is also stuck on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Dragon's Revenge- Main BGM (it's very bad)

Jaki Crush(Super Famicom)

220px-Jaki_Crush_Coverart.png

The Crush series makes it to the Super Famicom with yet another thematic makeover-- Japanese demon/folklore! Outside of the theme, the most profound difference with this one mechanically is the addition of multiball-- it's a good idea but due to how the full screen scrolls it becomes literally impossible to manage both balls as sometimes you'll have two balls on entirely different screens. The board also feels disjointed and doesn't tend to utilize space as well as the previous Compile-devloped games.
2617770-jakicrush001.png

It has all of the sorts of bells and whistles you expect from a Super Nintendo game in 1992 and that works to it's advantage/detriment depending on who you are. Personally, I feel the pacing of the game is sacrificed in order to show off what was then impressive features of the hardware-- the game feels slower than the prequels. It sort of reminds me of another mistake Compile made as seen in the difference between Musha and Super Aleste.

451031-jaki-crush-snes-screenshot-playing-a-bonus-stage-with-two.png

It's still a pretty great pinball game, I just prefer the earlier titles in this series. Sadly, this game has never found a home outside of the Super Famicom release.

Jaki Crush- Main BGM

P.S. the FM tracks in earlier titles slap harder than this game's main theme.

Alien Crush Returns (Nintendo Wii Ware)

Alien_Crush_Returns.jpg

I'll be honest with you, I haven't played this one as much. I own it on a Wii which is in a storage unit and has been for nearly two years.

This one isn't developed by the original developers but Tamsoft, published by Hudson Soft.

acrd.jpg

If anyone wants to wax poetic or tear this game down-- be my guest. I don't see myself playing it in the foreseeable future.

--

Guessing that Hudson/Konami owns the rights to these games, we'll probably never see a new installment. A collection would be very welcome, especially considering Devil Crash MD/Jaki Crush never made it outside of their respective consoles. I'd even take a low effort comp with bad filters at this point!

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I have Dragon's Fury, and Alien Crush Returns. Both are great, but I would recommend Dragon's Fury as I prefer the aesthetic, and music.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Great thread! Love these games.
I played the first Alien Crush on the Japanese PSN, the European Dragon's Fury on the MD and the WiiWare game.

My favorite is Dragon's Fury, and it had a code that unlocked music from previous Tecnosoft games, including Thunder Force 3!
Played that game a lot back in the day,

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Alien Crush getting released on Virtual Console years ago but never tried it. This thread piqued my interest though, might have to see if I can get it working on 3DS.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been a fan of this series since I first saw Alien Crush in 1989. I like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush around the same. Devil's added more to the formula but I'm partial to the atmosphere and music of Alien. Jaki's good but a bit of a letdown compared to the previous games. Dragon's Revenge was alright; I agree with everything said about it in the first post. I bought the Wiiware Alien Crush game and barely remember it because it was so generic.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I remember Alien Crush getting released on Virtual Console years ago but never tried it. This thread piqued my interest though, might have to see if I can get it working on 3DS.

If you have a Japanese 3DS you can buy it direct from the eShop, they got a handful of PC Engine games over there.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
If you have a Japanese 3DS you can buy it direct from the eShop, they got a handful of PC Engine games over there.

i just learned the Japanese 3DS had PCE VC stuff when looking up info for this thread. very frustrating because it's one of my favorite consoles.

I have been a fan of this series since I first saw Alien Crush in 1989. I like Alien Crush and Devil's Crush around the same. Devil's added more to the formula but I'm partial to the atmosphere and music of Alien. Jaki's good but a bit of a letdown compared to the precious games. Dragon's Revenge was alright; I agree with everything said about it in the first post. I bought the Wiiware Alien Crush game and barely remember it because it was so generic.

I sort of prefer the atmosphere of Alien too. It really stuck with me in my youth.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Devils Crush is still my favorite. .I prefer the tg16 version over the Genesis version. Found Jaki Crush years later, fun game but doesn't live up to Devils Crush for me.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Man, the PCE was so good when it came to pinball games (I also love Time Cruise). I'd say my favorite of the main games is Devil - the western fantasy/metal art style isn't really my favorite kinda style, but the board design was the best and it didn't have the awkward screen switching of Alien. Jaki has such a frustrating bottom area that I find tricky to escape, which kills the pacing for me.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Man, the PCE was so good when it came to pinball games (I also love Time Cruise). I'd say my favorite of the main games is Devil - the western fantasy/metal art style isn't really my favorite kinda style, but the board design was the best and it didn't have the awkward screen switching of Alien. Jaki has such a frustrating bottom area that I find tricky to escape, which kills the pacing for me.

Yeah, that weird angling of that top flipper just breaks the flow of the entire board. plus the middle section is just kind of a dead zone compared to Devil's.

Time Cruise looks cool. I'll have to check it out.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I played Devil Crush at a convention once where someone had brought a bunch of PC Engines and it was pretty fun. I'm not normally into pinball video games, but I appreciate the ones that take advantage of being video games to do table designs that aren't physically possible in real life.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
oh man, i wanted to bump this thread when i saw the trailer for this game a few weeks back. i'll pick it up in a few days and give impressions.
If you like Naxat pinball you are going to love it. I played one quick game, has tons of options, looks amazing, and even has a TATE option I will try out on my Virtual Pinball machine when I get a chance.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an old Game Sack episode on the subject:

/edit: lol they got so much better. Ah the old episodes are charming in their own way.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
WHAAAAAAT!!!? MOTHERFUCKERS!

God damn it, I hate NoA so much. Assuming they are to blame, and let's be real, of course they are.

It's more Konami's fault, I think.

They seriously only got like half a dozen games, once Wii U came out they immediately started ignoring 3DS and put everything else on Wii U instead.

EDIT: not even half a dozen, I just checked and all they got was Alien Crush, Gradius, China Warrior and R-Type before Konami lost interest.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's more Konami's fault, I think.

They seriously only got like half a dozen games, once Wii U came out they immediately started ignoring 3DS and put everything else on Wii U instead.

EDIT: not even half a dozen, I just checked and all they got was Alien Crush, Gradius, China Warrior and R-Type before Konami lost interest.
Well ok, if there's a company that's worse than NoA, it's Konami. But if NoA cared to push the VC a bit more we'd get more stuff here. Like MSX games on the Wii.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Well ok, if there's a company that's worse than NoA, it's Konami. But if NoA cared to push the VC a bit more we'd get more stuff here. Like MSX games on the Wii.

My understanding is that the distribution of the games on the non-Nintendo platforms was left primarily to the rights holders, which is why Sega's stuff eclipsed what Nintendo was doing and Konami's stuff, Hudson aside, was very low-effort.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Here's an old Game Sack episode on the subject:

/edit: lol they got so much better. Ah the old episodes are charming in their own way.

My friend and I went to TooManyGames in Philly in 2015, and saw a QandA panel hosted by Game Sack. He asked if they could do a video pinball episode... they said "Great idea!", then a few months later we got this!

Too bad they haven't gotten around to my suggestion for an FM Towns Marty episode yet...

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I somehow missed this thread during the first go around. I'm finally gonna get the two games available on Wii U VC. Never played them before but I love video game pinball and the TG16 is one of my favorite game systems. On a related note, I have 1700 points remaining on my Wii that I have to spend within the week. Is the Devil's Crush WiiWare game worth some of my precious points, or is it OK to leave it in the ether forever(?)? If it's skippable I have some other stuff I really want so I'm not starved for games to get with my points.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Bumping this thread simply to correct my historically bad take:

I've been playing a metric fuckton of Devil Crash on PC-Engine and it may lack some of the better designed boss encounters of the MD/Genesis version but... it just feels much better to play. I think it is time for me to change my vote.