• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Starting this up for anyone here interested in cryptocurrencies. This will be for discussing all subjects related to the topic of cryptocurrency: investing, mining, buying/selling etc. The crypto space is generating a ton of new interest as more and more people hear about the latest bull runs in their favorite digital currencies.

So What is a Cryptocurrency?

Simply put, its a spendable, digital asset that is backed by a distributed ledger for verifying all transactions, known as a blockchain. The blockchain is verified by hundreds, or thousands of compute devices independently verifying each transaction, which prevents fraud within the ledger. Additionally, some cryptocurrency projects, like Ethereum go beyond simple value exchanges, offering smart contract features. These smart contracts create effecient, blockchain verifiable agreements in real time, that are traditionally covered by paper agreements (think a real estate sale).

Here are some good references for diving deeper into what cryptocurrency and the blockchain are:

https://blog.chain.com/a-letter-to-jamie-dimon-de89d417cb80
https://www.influencive.com/crypto-currency-basics-smart-contract/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency

What are the biggest cryptocurrencies out there?

At the time of this writing, cryptocurrency has a $170 billion market cap, with dozens of notable currencies, and a ton of future growth anticipated. I'll name a few of the most popular ones here, but keep in mind there are many more with very enthusiastic communities and investors following them:

Bitcoin - The original and current big fish. Check out https://bitcoin.org for more info.

Ethereum - A platform designed to leverage smart contracts and applications on the blockchain. More info at https://ethereum.org/.

Litecoin - A spinoff of bitcoin created by former Coinbase engineer Charlie Lee. Litecoin is aiming to be used for small daily transactions, with quick processing and lower fees than Bitcoin. More info at https://litecoin.org/.

Monero: A cryptocurrency focused on ensuring privacy for all transactions on its blockchain. Bitcoin transactions can be tracked, which has led to the creation of privacy coins. More info at https://getmonero.org/.

Ark: A digital platform aiming to be an all-in-one enterprise blockchain solution. Holders of the Ark token can stake their coins with a delegate responsible for verifying transactions that will earn them interest payments. Visit https://ark.io to learn more.

Some other notable cryptos are: NEO, TenX, OmiseGo, Zcash, Ripple and Vertcoin, to name a few. Take a look at CoinMarketCapto view the full list of cryptocurrencies currently on the market.

Okay, I'm Interested. How do I buy some and what do I buy?

First, do your research. There are over 1,000 cryptocurrencies, with more being introduced every week. You do not want to get burned on a shitcoin with poor fundamentals and a bad team working on it. That said, Crypto is seen as the next big investment opportunity. If you play it smart, you can likely do well for yourself.

This Reddit thread has good tips for new investors: https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurr...me_food_for_thought_for_new_crypto_investors/

There are many exchanges set up across the world that offer the ability to buy and sell cryptocurrencies:

Coinbase
GDAX
Bittrex
Gemini
Bitstamp
Kraken
HitBTC
Bitfinex
Poloniex
Binance

Once you've bought your coins, YOU NEED TO MOVE THEM TO A WALLET. There are many options our there including desktop app, web, smartphone app, and cold storage wallets. Don't leave your coins on exchanges! Doing so leaves them vulnerable to exchange hacks, which have happened in the past.

What about mining?

Mining is the process of utilizing a compute device to verify the blockchain ledger. Mined coins are the reward for lending ones computer resources to verifying the ledger. Many people are curious about doing it with their computer, but in many cases like Bitcoin and Litecoin, mining is now primarly done by specialized ASIC devices that are designed to get a superior hashrate and pull the most of the rewards.

There are some that are still GPU minable. Ethereum is one, though it will move to a proof of stake coin in the next year or two, which will end mining. Another minable coin with GPUs is Vertcoin. Vertcoin is ASIC resistant due to its hashing algorithm, and does well with Nvidia GPUs.

If you decide to mine, make sure to join a mining pool before firing up your GPU. You'll be better rewarded than trying to go solo.

Happy days ahead and HODL!

Mod Edit:

Don't self-promote discord servers that give you "inside" tips:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2450947/

Mod Edit 2:

Going forward, sharing pump & dump discord links will result in a perma ban.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/2866235/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping an eye on this one. I regret not mining bitcoin 10 years ago when a friend started. Of course he dumped his when the feds went after it, so he basically lost a fortune...

OP
OP
breakYODAy

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping an eye on this one. I regret not mining bitcoin 10 years ago when a friend started. Of course he dumped his when the feds went after it, so he basically lost a fortune...

I hear you. I almost bought into bitcoin back in 2010. Of course hindsight is 20/20, so it's best for me to look for the next opportunity.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Hi there, just got verified. Glad I don't have the burden of setting up the OT here.

OP
OP
breakYODAy

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Keeping my fingers crossed for ARK and VTC to rise again.

I hold both, and have been very pleased with each project lately. The Ark wallet has an amazing, easy to use interface. That, combined with all the work their doing in the background to grow enterprise adoption gives me a lot of positive feelings about the trajectory of their project.

I've been playing around with mining Vertcoin, and I think that coin will rise fast as more people realize the decentralization advantages it has compared to Bitcoin and Litecoin.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, the discord Crypto channel is working on getting in here. Hope to have more in this thread in the next couple of days!

Welcome all!

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping so. BTC seems to have retreated a bit but it's going to spike again since it seems the demand is so pent up at the moment.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Same! Finally got in. Ill need to change my Avatar back, but I made it! Now I can complain about holding these NEO bags until S2x

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Oh Alerts is a nice feature. It immediately showed up after you posted.

ARK is being kept above 42390k satoshi for now thanks to a 50BTC buy wall but i fear that it could be pulled at any moment. If it does happen i think it could dip pretty bad if this fork takes too long.

I really hope it forks on the 8th of november which is probably the earliest estimation.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, BTC is about to hit $6,000 again here tonight which is insane! I personally don't mind if ARK goes lower since I'm not quite ready to buy yet.... :)

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Bitcoin Silver Fork announced for December (nope not a joke). Ridiculous.

This stuff is more dangerous to crypto than any soundbite from Jamie Dimon or Warren Buffet. Thankfully the people behind these forks have no restraint, and so they run this stuff into the ground in a 6 month span. Wouldn't be surprised if very few bother to even stockpile BTC by the time this December fork starts.

qNaQ580.jpg

Now add B2x, BitcoinGold and BitcoinSilver to this list.

The danger however is the damage it does to the rest of the market. 4 forks on BTC from Aug to December makes for a solid 3 or so months of Alts of all types having downward pressure on them. Really stifles the growth of Alts when random nobodies can pop these forks out of nowhere and have such an extreme effect on the market. I guess the scammy shit moved from ICO's to forks now.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
No fucking way..... I had already seen a few people mention it on reddit but i just assumed they were joking..

This is beyond ridiculous and if true then i don't see it stopping anytime soon.

Guess i really have to sell my alts the moment they get a nice bump, if there even will be a bump after b2x this time.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
At some point it should stop being free money though right?

Then again i expected Bitcoin Gold to be worthless aswell and that somehow started at $500 but maybe the fact that it crashed to $120 so fast (which is still way too high) will make people more wary the next time.

Edit: holy shit someone just destroyed a 20BTC ARK buy wall in one go...

There's still a 30BTC buy wall at 42390k but this does not bode well.

Last edited:

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone posted Bitcoin Platinum on Reddit which I did a double take but it was a joke post. Bitcoin Silver? Isn't that called Litecoin?

Deleted member 9824

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been meaning to get into cryptocurrency since my brother and his friends all got a couple hundred from Bitcoin and Monero, but I'm extremely skeptical about all of it. I understand the systems, and made my own personal one in JavaScript to try it out, but it baffles me how essentially nothing is actually turned into something valuable. It's like it's backed by mutual trust only. I can understand Monero, since it's very privacy based, but Bitcoin and cryptos in general? No way.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be careful about the privacy of Monero since it's not entirely private. Other privacy coins such as NAV, PIVX, zCash, Dash and Verge push for a more anonymous coin that is hardened. All that to say, you have to pick your winner based on what public opinion is not exactly which is the best. The nuance in Crypto is reading the trade winds of what exactly brings that crypto coins value; It truly is non-sensical in every sense of the word.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Oops finally in.

So 3 more days until BTG announces how to claim... Not sure it will have real value but, why not?

Things have been quite stable for BTC after the fork, i expected worse, but maybe this is calm before the storm, that may come this November

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
Hello there!

Are there any new news of electrum supporting BTG? I'd think that many people don't store their BTC on exchanges but on wallets like it.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it seems that Nov. 16th is the date of the next fork of the miners hit their block targets. For the most part, investing in Alts right now seems to be the best course since you'll see the most gains. What is everyone else doing? People saying Vert will hit $6 bucks this weekend and then correct... who knows at this point.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been holding VIA for some time. It's currently dealing with Bitcoin's god-like fist crushing it deep into the dirt, as is the case with most alts as of late, but it's already made me a few thousand during the long-term hold.

I'm positive for its future, given its fundamentals are quite strong. Planning to hold beyond 100k satoshi.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
FYI, 25mil more Tether was created today. Usually there is a crypto wide pump within a few days after such an event, especially if more Tether is created within the next few days.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have collected as much ARK as I will want. MAYBE more if the price goes below my average by a bit. Hoping for some rises soonish/after the fork. Time to research some other coins to put money into as I can.

Also, too bad I pulled out of VTC months ago around $.90 lol. Too bad indeed.

Oct 28, 2017
Aus
For somebody who has never invested in crypto, any general advice on how to avoid shitcoin?

I realise it's all speculative, but trying to avoid going in totally blind.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For somebody who has never invested in crypto, any general advice on how to avoid shitcoin?

I realise it's all speculative, but trying to avoid going in totally blind.

Use BitcoinTalk. Look at what features are being recycled within cryptocurrencies, in additional to their mining algorithms.

Big red flags tend to be coins with large total supply counts, premines, scrypt algorithm.

Basically, look into what coins are generally doing something new, and which are simply rehashing.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Both ARK and IOTA arent doing too Hot at the moment. Kinda saw it coming too as that big buy wall was getting slowly taken down.

I guess i might have to start doing at least some trades if i want to stay in the green.

Really would have liked a buy and forget scenario but I'm hurting too much on the short term.

Edit: i don't even know why they are struggling so hard at the moment. It's not like bitcoin is on another insane run at the moment. BTC has been sitting around 5k for a while now.

vehn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both ARK and IOTA arent doing too Hot at the moment. Kinda saw it coming too as that big buy wall was getting slowly taken down.

I guess i might have to start doing at least some trades if i want to stay in the green.

Really would have liked a buy and forget scenario but I'm hurting too much on the short term.

I sold all my omg and ark last night, and bought into vtc and grs. Did buy near their tops, but luckily they haven't crashed way down in my sleep. Hop9ng they go up insanely again today and make up all the losses ark/omg have been giving me the l,ast 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.