• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Whoops:
MDNXx3c.jpg

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Shenanigans with ETC. Really time for a lot of coins to die/vanish in obscurity.
Deep Chain Reorganization Detected on Ethereum Classic (ETC)
On 1/5/2019, Coinbase detected a deep chain reorganization of the Ethereum Classic blockchain that included a double spend. In order to protect customer funds, we immediately paused movements of these funds on the ETC blockchain. Subsequent to this event, we detected 8 additional reorganizations that included double spends, totaling 88,500 ETC (~$460,000)
https://blog.coinbase.com/ethereum-classic-etc-is-currently-being-51-attacked-33be13ce32de

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the necrobump but --

Guess someone really wanted those XBY and ADC bags.

A not so gentle reminder to not leave your crypto on exchanges.

Banking Giant HSBC's Blockchain Platform Processed $250 Billion in Forex in 2018
International banking giant HSBC settled $250 billion of forex trades using blockchain technology in 2018. The company has revealed the figure in a press release quoted by the Financial Times (FT) Jan. 14.
Through its proprietary blockchain platform dubbed "FX Everywhere," HSBC handled 3 million transactions, which translated into 150,000 payments since it launched in February.
The technology allows HSBC to "conduct thousands of foreign exchange transactions within the bank, across multiple balance sheets, in dozens of countries," FT quoted Richard Bibbey, acting global head of currencies as saying.

Pretty cool news.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Who is waking up sleeping ppl here...
So admins got enough of that bear market and "got hacked"??? Uhuu...
I guess i still have 2 XBL on Cryptopia, which is like 0,02 € ...

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017

i'm a pretty nice guy but every time one of these things happen i really hope that someone really rich lost a lot of money, and is able to use it to find and take out whoever pulls these stunts, i guarantee it has happened before, and no one else ever knows, i would never do such a thing but the thought of ripping someone rich off and for them to have a death vendetta against me would scare the shit out of me way too much to ever consider it, if no other reason did.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Seems that there was a new breach/collection of passwords and emails, including crypto related sites: https://www.troyhunt.com/the-773-million-record-collection-1-data-reach/

So check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ again to see if your mail is included in the 2019 data. If yes, check the passwords of your exchanges here https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

Edit: already a thread here https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...each-i-suggest-changing-some-passwords.94070/

Dealing with crypto, you already should use a pw manager and use some long ass random generated password for each exchange+2FA.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Its crazy how it seems its only ever a matter of time before every exchange is hacked or something.

Im still waiting for things to slip significantly lower. I don't feel like its bottomed out nearly enough when stuff like ETC is still up there after double spend attacks and shit. Alot of the garbage in this market still needs to flush out of the bottom.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
BitGrail Ruling

In its decision, the court concluded that both Bitgrail and Mr. Firano, personally, be declared bankrupt, authorizing seizures of many of Mr. Firano's personal assets. So far, authorities have seized over $1 million in personal assets, including Mr. Firano's car.

(...)

In its decision, made public on January 21, 2019, the Court found that the NANO reported lost by Mr. Firano on February 9, 2018, had actually been removed from the exchange months earlier, between July 2017 and December 2017.

The Court criticized Mr. Firano for not immediately taking steps to account for the losses. By waiting to make the shortfall public, Mr. Firano caused the public to suffer substantially larger losses.

(...)

As for the mechanics of the loss, the Court concluded that the exchange had failed to implement any meaningful safeguards to ensure the "idempotency" of NANO withdrawals from the Bitgrail exchange. An idempotent action is an operation that may only be performed once and if performed again will yield
the same result.

(...)

The Court found that in July 2017, 2.5 million NANO were lost by the exchange. The Court noted that Mr. Firano had been aware of these unauthorized withdrawals almost immediately after they occurred and found that Mr. Firano had reported on Twitter in late July 2017 that he had blacklisted accounts connected to the unauthorized transfers.
Pretty good overall; theft really was people being able to withdraw multiple times because BitGrail didn't bother to check if the withdrawal had already gone through, lol. And, yeah, of course he knew all along.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Imagine having invested a couple k $ into Raiblocks when it was sub $1, then seeing it rise to $20, only to have it stolen/blocked from withdrawal from Bitgrail.
Was close to shifting 1000€ of my portfolio to Raiblocks (XRB) when it was around $0,10 but almost every shitcoin seemed hype and ready to moon around September 2017.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
BitGrail Ruling

Pretty good overall; theft really was people being able to withdraw multiple times because BitGrail didn't bother to check if the withdrawal had already gone through, lol. And, yeah, of course he knew all along.

Good lord, so he knew in July? And Nano blew up too. I want to try and find how much Nano was going for in July versus its peak when those folks were trying to cash out, but couldn't...

Edit:

oF9tw2L.png

.03 cents a coin early July 2017

fGvCTIn.png

$33.70 a coin at the peak.

Jesus
qxpuKL5.png

Last edited:

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, so he knew in July? And Nano blew up too. I want to try and find how much Nano was going for in July versus its peak when those folks were trying to cash out, but couldn't...
"In July 2017, 2.5 million NANO was valued at approximately $250,000 (1/100th of the value it had in February 2018 when Mr. Firano went public)."

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just visited the subs of former hype coins and lol at Xtrabytes, former coin of the people/hearts. The Cryptopia "hack" was two shotgun shots to the knees since that coin has no market anymore.
Still, Patent is probably just around the corner...

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Just visited the subs of former hype coins and lol at Xtrabytes, former coin of the people/hearts. The Cryptopia "hack" was two shotgun shots to the knees since that coin has no market anymore.
Still, Patent is probably just around the corner...

Oh wow you are right. Coin flatlined. That HAS to be the last straw, cant see many believers holding on after this.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Another one (probably) bites the dust: NEM Foundation - message to the community.

The reality of having one month left in funding means we won't be able to support our current headcount, partnerships, and projects. We need to put everything on hold. This is painful since it hurts good people and partners, but the new council is aligned that we need to be transparent with what is happening behind the scenes of the NEM Foundation.

They're still "optimistic" about the future though or something. No idea what NEM does to be honest but it's stil in CMC's top 20 and was top 5 in January 2018, if I remember correctly.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
NEMs desktop wallet was one of the better and sleekest wallets early on and it was one of the first coins i got interested when i encountered dontpanicsell.com
I also almost forgot the huge hack of coincheck and the millions of lost NEM back then. That was probably a huge blow to them

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, the news about QuadrigaCX is nuts. Apparently the founder died last month and never told anyone the password to his wallet. I'm seeing some people in my network on Twitter who've lost tens of thousands of dollars.

For context, QuadrigaCX was one of the only crypto options for Canadians. It's what I used to cash out last January--it was either that, or Kraken.

Spuck-

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
So...

When Coinbase/Binance exit scam.
mjgrin.png

It's funny. When Coinsmarkets exit scammed, it was kind of a *pretends to be shocked* situation because the site was clearly some Geocities shit.

But Quadriga was the top exchange in Canada. And this dude went as far as to bribe some Indian officials to write a fake death certificate. 🤔

I don't think any exchange is safe when it's run by tech bros with more money than morals.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So I've been dipping my toes into Crypto here and there and I've only got about 7 odd BTC left, but I have put in for :

- 50k XRP ( Got them at 0.009c Aud back in Mid 2017)
- 20k Tron (Got them at 2-3c)

Looking at the top ten cryptos, I'm now tossing up at putting a few hundred into one more, but I can't make up my mind. Stellar and Cardano look decent, but are there any others I should look at and why?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Bad luck anyone who lost crypto. I'm keeping mine split up on multiple exchanges just in case this happens.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
All of my coins are sitting on Binance at the moment. I've really learnt nothing from losing a ton of Nano on BitGrail. Then again, it's not like they are worth anything anymore!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
So here is something interesting, Bittorrent of all places now has a coin running off TRONs network

Bittorrent Coin

Started at 0.000702c on the 2nd of Feb and is already slowly going up.

Edit- Update: If you already own TRON, you will get small monthly deposits to your Bittorrent coin address also. Neat

I'm still looking forward to what happens with XRP once the switch is flipped, I got 50k of these bastards at the starting gate.

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Interesting seeing Bitcoin Cash up there:

Cryptocurrency Communities – Which Have Remained the Most Active (Part 1 of 4)

We measure activity as the sum of posts and comments per subreddit during the last month. At the time of writing, the twelve most popular cryptocurrencies (based on monthly activity, the longest possible period we could choose) were the following:

1. Bitcoin Cash with activity score of 115,676 between /r/btc and /r/bitcoincash
  2. Bitcoin with activity score of 114,347 between /r/bitcoin and /r/bitcoinmarkets
  3. Ethereum with activity score of 48,273 between /r/ethtrader and /r/ethereum
  4. Ripple with activity score of 14,867 on /r/ripple
  5. VeChain with activity score of 13,277 on /r/vechain
  6. EOS with activity score of 11,830 on /r/eos
  7. Stellar Lumens with activity score of 11,095 on /r/stellar
  8. Kin with activity score of 11,095 on /r/kinfoundation
  9. Monero with activity score of 9,980 on /r/monero
  10. Nano with activity score of 6,507 /r/nanocurrency
  11. IOTA with activity score of 5,674 on /r/iota
  12. Basic Attention Token with activity score of 5,227 on /r/batproject
Finishing the analysis, it's worth checking which high-cap coins failed to join the active-reddit-community club.

Number one on the list would be Litecoin, #6 in terms of market cap, yet substantially lagging behind coins like Stellar and Monero. Even worse, its activity score is 38.79 times less than that of the leader of the pack, Bitcoin Cash.
https://chainbulletin.com/cryptocur...ch-have-remained-the-most-active-part-1-of-4/

More in the article.

Part 2 will focus on online forum activity.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017

I guess this was only a matter of time. One way to really speed up blockchain transactions is to just have it be 100% private and centralized, which this would be. The question is, if you have to rely on and trust JP Morgan to manage everything, and not change any data, due to control being totally centralized with them, what is the benefit of using a blockchain here? Why not just use a database?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
JP Morgan has the advantage of already having lots of customers though. That outweighs most other considerations.

I should have been more specific, in regards to software, reliability, testing, setting up servers as well as customers. It has taken dozens of engineers and a long time to get Xrapid/Current/Tide in the state that it is working. JP Morgan better have something amazing to compete, but then again he may only be helping himself.