• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
The cost of one Starbucks coffee!
giphy15fj91.gif

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Hi guys. Can you recommend a good reliable offline desktop crypto wallet? What is generally considered the top of the line these days? Or should I go the hardware wallet route and say fuck it and get a Ledger Nano X? Will be storing multiple coins but mainly for BTC.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Hi guys. Can you recommend a good reliable offline desktop crypto wallet? What is generally considered the top of the line these days? Or should I go the hardware wallet route and say fuck it and get a Ledger Nano X? Will be storing multiple coins but mainly for BTC.
Even a Nano S is still a good investment. Can't go wrong with Ledger (if coin is supported).

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Hey, filthy noob/outsider here looking to buy some XRP for my first dip into crypto.

Just wondering what's the best place to buy them and also the best/cheapest way to reliably store them?

Should I get a cheap reliable hard drive, put them on there then just keep them in a cupboard somewhere ?

Also trading platforms like eToro just sell shares in their coins as opposed to actually giving you coins right ??

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, filthy noob/outsider here looking to buy some XRP for my first dip into crypto.

Just wondering what's the best place to buy them and also the best/cheapest way to reliably store them?

Should I get a cheap reliable hard drive, put them on there then just keep them in a cupboard somewhere ?

Also trading platforms like eToro just sell shares in their coins as opposed to actually giving you coins right ??
Really depends on where you live. If in the US Coinbase will do for buying. I just keep my stuff with them as they are insured.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
You can definitely use a UK account with Coinbase, because I've been doing that for the last two years.

Two things to note, though:

1. Coinbase won't let you trade XRP, so you'll need to buy BTC or ETH with them, then transfer it to another exchange to trade. You'll pay some fees on various stages of that process. I gave up trying to trade about this time last year and just consolidated ETH, but Binance used to be my go-to for trading. Looks like there's some bad sentiment around them now though.

2. Quite a few UK accounts and debit cards (and basically all credit cards) will refuse to let you transfer money to Coinbase - even to their UK account. You might get lucky depending on who you bank with. It's a stupid restriction, but it's there.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
why do people critical of cryptocurrency think its a "libertarian wet dream"?. I see this said often by those critical of it. that cryptocurrency is simply a "libertarian utopian dream"

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
why do people critical of cryptocurrency think its a "libertarian wet dream"?. I see this said often by those critical of it. that cryptocurrency is simply a "libertarian utopian dream"
Libertarians want freedom from government control over all facets of life, and that includes control over money (read: Federal Reserve/Central Banks), and Bitcoin is money that can't be controlled by anyone, so it it offers monetary freedom from government and central bank control.

I'm a "Bitcoin Maximalist"; I don't believe in any other cryptocurrency. I think Bitcoin is the only one that has a chance of succeeding in the long term (although even Bitcoin might fail, but then none of the rest would have a chance) because it's the only one that's actually decentralized and can't be controlled by a company, group of people, or government.

I know this will not be a popular opinion here, and I'm not interested in debating it to be honest. Just answering your question from my point of view.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Libertarians want freedom from government control over all facets of life, and that includes control over money (read: Federal Reserve/Central Banks), and Bitcoin is money that can't be controlled by anyone, so it it offers monetary freedom from government and central bank control.

I'm a "Bitcoin Maximalist"; I don't believe in any other cryptocurrency. I think Bitcoin is the only one that has a chance of succeeding in the long term (although even Bitcoin might fail, but then none of the rest would have a chance) because it's the only one that's actually decentralized and can't be controlled by a company, group of people, or government.

I know this will not be a popular opinion here, and I'm not interested in debating it to be honest. Just answering your question from my point of view.
is that why many leftists tend to be skeptical of cryptocurrency?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Going to sell out my Bitcoin now.
Have a good amount of Audio Coin, Colx and Flash or rather had but I have not been keeping track since spring 2017 hehe. Most of it was on Cryptopia so byebye. Flash is in my wallet locally on my computer though I believe.

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Going to sell out my Bitcoin now.
Have a good amount of Audio Coin, Colx and Flash or rather had but I have not been keeping track since spring 2017 hehe. Most of it was on Cryptopia so byebye. Flash is in my wallet locally on my computer though I believe.
everybody should make their own choices but i think you're going to regret selling your bitcoin in a few years.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are likely very right. I'm just not cut out for this. It has caused me a lot of grey hairs and I just let it all go at some point. Now I could sell my bitcoin for the buy-in price and be on my way.

lots of people are gonna be doing this too, so you're not the only one. If you have more than you're comfortable watching in terms of price action then definitely sell and get rid of the pointless stress

Hulohot

Banned
Jan 1, 2019
I'd avoid selling anything like that. You've weathered the bear market for so long, why would you cash it all out right now as it's starting to show life again?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He literally can't sell any of those shit coins

1) They haven't moved at all
2) The exchanges where those coins were hosted are basically all dead

Selling BTC at a price he's comfortable with is always fine, if he wants out and doesn't want to deal with this anymore, I can't really blame him

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
You are likely very right. I'm just not cut out for this. It has caused me a lot of grey hairs and I just let it all go at some point. Now I could sell my bitcoin for the buy-in price and be on my way.
I understand mate. What helps is just to cut the cord. Stop checking prices everyday and reading Twitter, telegram or forums like these. We're not professional traders so these kinds of stress are new and intense. Or at least for me lol.

Or you could just quit the game for a while of course ;)

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I told you guys two years ago that the SEC investigation into Kin would end up being the landmark ICO case in the United States...looks like it's coming true...

If you haven't been following, the SEC issued a rarely done Wells Notice to Kik and their legal counsel (Cooley LLP) to offer them the chance to respond before recommending an action to the SEC commissioners to vote on. They made their 40 page Wells Response public and said they will not settle as long as it requires registration as a security.

Here's a good article on it from a partner at Andressen Horowitz who used to work as a prosecuter in the Justice Dept and led the investigstion into Mt Gox:

My question is. If this well known tax paying company that registered their ICO with FinCEN, had KYC and AML, had a working product, has the best lawyers in the country, and meets all the same criteria for non-security status that Hinman laid out in his Yahoo Summit speech, is getting an action from the SEC, whose kryptonite is litigation risk, you better bet your banana there are other high profile projects not being so public about theirs. I expect to see some token sale companies join the fight and revealing their own battles, and others to try to pretend nothing is going on. It will be telling.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
You've made this exact post many times already, multiple times on this page too, and you got an answer as well. How many times are you going to keep asking the same question?

Putting you on Ignore because I'm tired of seeing notifications for this thread expecting original posts only to see you post the same thing again and again.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Could anyone recommend a good way to learn about cryptocurrency and general investment as a beginner?

I know the basics as an outsider but I'm a content writer for a digital marketing agency who has just been hired by a crypto site so I'm going to be talking about this stuff in depth on a weekly basis from now on.

My research and writing about it has made me pretty excited about the whole idea so I will want to learn for my own benefit and to actually invest too.

Obviously the answer is read books and well regarded authority blogs, but my Amazon wish list has like 30+ books on the topic so any recommendations for good ones to read first that explain things well and can give me a basic understanding to build on would be awesome.

Also is it me or is YouTube the last place to attempt to learn about this? So many click bait titles and contradictory videos, so many cheesy voice overs, so many people arguing whatever point will get them the most clicks without any actually evidence to back it, it just seems to be full of shit to me, although I'm sure there are plenty good YouTubers out there.

You've made this exact post many times already, multiple times on this page too, and you got an answer as well. How many times are you going to keep asking the same question?

Putting you on Ignore because I'm tired of seeing notifications for this thread expecting original posts only to see you post the same thing again and again.

Lmao I noticed that too, not sure if it's a bug or somebody who has no idea how forums work but it's the exact same copy and pasted message every time.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City

Where's this "many times" you're referring to? I asked like twice, and didn't get an answer. Where is the answer?

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Where's this "many times" you're referring to? I asked like twice, and didn't get an answer. Where is the answer?

Look at post #8105. That's at least one answer and you asked at least 3 times as there's 2 posts here and one on the last page.

Don't worry, it's no issue and we aren't mods so it's technically none of our business but it may be seen as spam by the actual mods so in future if people don't respond I'd recommend asking a more specific question or rewording as opposed to just copy and pasting it again.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTC scratched the $9k for around 5 minutes before dropping to 8600 in a mere minute. Let's see if this was the end of this little run-up.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Look at post #8105. That's at least one answer and you asked at least 3 times as there's 2 posts here and one on the last page.

Don't worry, it's no issue and we aren't mods so it's technically none of our business but it may be seen as spam by the actual mods so in future if people don't respond I'd recommend asking a more specific question or rewording as opposed to just copy and pasting it again.

Wow, for some reason his reply did not show up on my screen. Interesting, probably a forum glitch. Well, I guess I should just go ahead and try Exodus or a Nano Ledge X. Well Exodus is free and is a desktop solution, where as Ledger is completely offline. But....is having your crypto on a USB dongle that is so small and can easily be misplaced a good idea, as opposed to keeping on your main PC where you know it isn't going anywhere?

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
That's why you put the recovery phrase of the hardware wallet in a safe place, e.g. a safe-deposit box. Also, if you feel you need an offline hardware wallet, the amount of money you put into crypto is probably large enough to warrant careful handling of the wallet in the first place, which should minimize the risk of misplacing it.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
If you are getting grey hair from crypto, you probably have more money in than you are comfortable with / you can loose so take it out and let it be.

Btw, just grabbed like 27 € in coins from coinbase earn. That was rather easy and didn't take long. BAT and XLM are still earnable. Watch some vids and answer questions. Answers are probably easy to find online, if not just ask me.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
If you are getting grey hair from crypto, you probably have more money in than you are comfortable with / you can loose so take it out and let it be.
No worries. I'm out at this point. I put in two paychecks between December 2017 and February 2018. The following months gave me some grey hairs but that was mainly because a couple of family members got influenced by my activities and jumped in as well though merely with half a paycheck each. They are economically comfortable but I still felt responsible ultimately for showing them my enthusiasm at the worst possible timing.
I now extracted near a paycheck's worth a few days ago when BTC was at $8800. The rest was altcoin that drowned mostly with Cryptopia but wasn't worth much. I still have $100 in Boon(Tech) ico which will wither away. All in all I didn't lose more than what I deemed acceptable and I did learn some new things and gain some experience.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I made a quick profit with that ONE pump, and then moved all back to VET as there's some kind of announcement this month. Last time they hyped an announcement like this was DNV GL partnership, and it was a massive one.

Also just read this recent post by DB Schenker...

Successful carrier management in China depends on available trucks, drivers and credibility. A Blockchain based rating system from DB Schenker and VeChain could lead to a higher transparency, efficiency and consequently better conditions for truck transport in China.

They're a top 10 logistics company worldwide, so if they're pushing VET in logistics segment it's a no brainer to hold. There's also been interest by DHL.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
What's the best exchange for easily trading between some of the more obscure altcoins?

Or is that not really a thing and people just have to sign up for something new every time they find an interesting opportunity ?

I have Kraken and love it in terms of usability but it only has a very small amount of currencies, I also have Binance which offers a lot of coins but is dog shit to use.

Somewhere in between the two would be lovely.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
What's the best exchange for easily trading between some of the more obscure altcoins?

Or is that not really a thing and people just have to sign up for something new every time they find an interesting opportunity ?

I have Kraken and love it in terms of usability but it only has a very small amount of currencies, I also have Binance which offers a lot of coins but is dog shit to use.

Somewhere in between the two would be lovely.
That would have been Cryptopia. That was shitcoin heaven.
Now your best bet is probably Binance and maybe Bittrex but I don't know if Bittrex started excepting more altcoins again.