• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
You night remember from my previous threads that The Avengers Project seems to be a very online oriented game.

However, today there is some evidence that it might have a singleplayer mode.

The reason I say "might" is that some developers think of things like Destiny's campaign as that game's singleplayer mode, even though it's co-op enabled, because the skill set to build it is much more similar to making a singleplayer game than a PvP mode or a co-op dungeon.

As such, please don't murder me if/when this turns out to be a 6-8 hour optional co-op campaign in a Destiny style game.

Crystal Dynamics, a part of the Square-Enix family, is constantly on the hunt to add even more top-tier gaming talent worldwide to our family. We pride ourselves on attracting and developing the best of the best available to concept, create, and contribute to the most exciting projects in gaming. Our 20+ years of history creating fun and exciting titles for the world to enjoy as well as our studio's 1000+ years of combined game industry experience has established us as one of the best studios in the world today. Come and make us even better!

Join now as a Senior Single Player Producer on the latest major AAA game from the studio behind the award winning Tomb Raider franchise being built in our Redwood City studio, just south of San Francisco.

Benefits for this full-time position include competitive salary, health insurance options to suit all lifestyles, generous paid time-off, as well as other studio and corporate perks, including a free 50,000' foot athletic club, a campus by the Bay, and discounts on all of Square-Enix's games and goodies.

Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and highly organized Senior Producer with demonstrable project management experience to take on a major production role in building our Avengers gameplay experience. We are looking for an individual with outstanding communication skills and a proven track record in Development and Production. A successful Senior Producer will work in support of the Executive Producer to coordinate, track, and guide activities of other Producers, Associate Producers and a full development staff to ensure that projects are completed on time and with high quality. Exposure to formal project management techniques in an internal development environment a must; previous experience building and maintaining schedules is essential.

This position is targeting experienced AAA producers, but we are open to considering high mid to low senior talent equivalent to 5+ years of internal game studio development experience, working on multi-million dollar, highly rated AAA projects (entry-level candidates or candidates with exclusively Publisher side experience will not qualify for this position).
Source: https://crystald.com/careers

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, good. That's the only way I'd ever even consider giving it a second of my time. Hopefully it's a fleshed-out game and not just some token "single player mode" they can put on the back of the box as a bullet point.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Wait hold on, I missed this, this avengers game is going to be a Destiny like?

Christ my hype has plummeted ;_;

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, good. That's the only way I'd ever even consider giving it a second of my time. Hopefully it's a fleshed-out game and not just some token "single player mode" they can put on the back of the box as a bullet point.
If you told me ten years ago that someone would eventually make this comment about a single player mode rather than multiplayer, I wouldn't have believed you.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
So are they recruiting only now for a potential single player mode? Isn't the game supposed to release this year?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Wait hold on, I missed this, this avengers game is going to be a Destiny like?

Christ my hype has plummeted ;_;
Well, it's "a game you play for years to come", "has multiple campaigns and modes", Square Enix declared games as a service as the future of the industry while noting multiplayer is now dominant over singleplayer, and basically every job where it's possibly applicable talks about online and multiplayer, so it looks like a strong possibility.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you told me ten years ago that someone would eventually make this comment about a single player mode rather than multiplayer, I wouldn't have believed you.

I KNOW. It's insanity and it hurts my soul that I just said that. As a single player-primary gamer, this generation has been kind of a nightmare.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
yep but luckily couple years ago i stepped away from being AAA only kind of game and ventured into the sacred garden of indies ... and never felt better

One day, an indie JRPG-style game will come out that isn't built on 8-bit-style pixel art (and is actually good), and I will be happy. But it hasn't happened yet. I am so burned out on most of the indies we get to see on consoles, and my PC is a shambling corpse that panics when trying to play anything GPU-intensive.

But to remain on-topic with this thread, I'm not sure why they think an always-online Avengers game is a good idea. Are they going to make people play AS individual Avengers? If so, everyone will just get pissed when their friends pick Thor and Iron Man first and they're stuck playing as Black Widow or Hawkeye.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Crystal Dynamics can revive the Legacy of Kain/Blood Omen series. They are a talented studio that shouldn't be chained to established IP's.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeeaaah, what's this about a Marvel game being like Destiny? First I've seen that tidbit of info.

Shoot me into space and let me drift away forever. DO NOT WANT.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly. A Mass Effect game that you could play with 2 or 3 other friends is practically my dream game. Provided CD has AI companions for when you want to play solo this sounds like a dream game for me.

Assuming it looks good, i'm there day 1

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ughhh. This is my first time hearing this is multiplayer too.

Can they not just have someone make a new ultimate alliance game?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't there a rumour you'd be playing as a random Shield agent and not even an Avenger?

Can't wait for this games-as-a-service thing to pop.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I assumed it was going to be a single player, story driven superhero game with online added. Online first? Nah I'm good.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Wish they were working on a new Tomb Raider instead the last two have been fun and Xbox exclusivity + game pass would be even better.

I have to say I don't have too much faith in this project.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew it was going to be online-oriented until this thread. :(

Not buying if it doesn't have single player.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumour you'd be playing as a random Shield agent and not even an Avenger?

Can't wait for this games-as-a-service thing to pop.
On the plus side, they no longer refer to it as a cover shooter, and instead call it a third person action adventure game in their job postings, so you might be using more than just guns.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You figure this game has gotta be a co-op adventure title. We act like that's impossible, but Ultimate Alliance did something like it years ago. Since then systems are way stronger, it's just always been an issue of who's willing to pump money into IPs they don't own.

But with the Avengers project, I picture something akin to Final Fantasy XV where content is released over time. In fact, I suspect that's going to become more and more popular--Dragon Age sounds like it's going to do the same thing.

Nov 4, 2017
I'd be shocked if it didn't. I was always expecting something along the lines of Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

If they put all that money into an online only game, I don't think it'll do that well.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So the opposite of what happened with Tomb Raider 2013?

Where the multiplayer was cobbled together at the last minute? Given how that multiplayer turned out, I don't have much hope for any supposed single player content here.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when we got excited when a game might have multiplayer? Now we get excited over glorified tutorials that last 4 hours.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't For Honor also have a 'singleplayer' mode? I hope it's not something just tacked on as a tutorial and a bullet point, and instead something actually meaningful, otherwise i'm not interested.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
But I want a singleplayer Avengers game.

If this is mostly a multiplayer thing, I'm skipping.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Might? Well, setting my expectations low for it.
I'm super interested in what your character is going to be like though, I'm assuming it's going to be similar to something like DC Universe Online, where you create your own hero and it'll be based on existing ones. But deep down I kinda just want you to play as Shield Agent #643 for the reactions.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Interesting... I'll wait to see it before I get disappointed but I also didn't know this was going to be heavily multiplayer based. Wonder if we'll see anything at E3.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I had no idea this is the direction it was going.

Unless it ends up being something really special I'd much rather just play a normal licensed single player game.