• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

Square Enix subsidiary Crystal Dynamics, best known as the developers of Tomb Raider, is working on The Avengers Project and they're recruiting a dream team of their own with veterans from Naughty Dog, Visceral Games, Monolith, Sledgehammer Games, and more.

Crystal Dynamics announced today that the studio has added 15 top industry talent into the development team in January. New staff includes former Naughty Dog Creative Director Shaun Escayg, who worked as the Creative Director and writer of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, will take on the role of Creative Director for The Avengers Project. He was also the Director of Photography and Animation Supervisor that led the cinematics team for The Last of Us.

More at the link.

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see these guys working in the scene still, and being in high roles. With the talent behind this title I'm very curious to see how it will look.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be the first triple-A movie tie-in released by competent developers on a big budget and a not overly strict development schedule to come out in a LONG time.

Which could mean that it may even be, gasp, good. Of course you could argue it's based on the comics, and there's Arkham Asylum in that role for one, but it's no secret this is happening because of the Avengers movies coming up.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Most anticipated game of whenever for me
Can't wait to see more of this project
There's no way that they wouldn't let us play as Iron Man/Cap/Thor/Hulk/etc when Infinity War will be the highest-grossing movie of 2018

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way that they wouldn't let us play as Iron Man/Cap/Thor/Hulk/etc when the Infinity War saga will be the highest-grossing movies of 2018-19

Iron Man/Cap/Thor/Hulk are lootbox prizes.

Here, take this common quality Shield agent in the meantime.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way that they wouldn't let us play as Iron Man/Cap/Thor/Hulk/etc when the Infinity War saga will be the highest-grossing movies of 2018-19
Well, previous job postings did call the game a "third person cover shooter", so I guess it's not entirely impossible that you play an Agent of SHIELD instead:

Description

Join now to be part of our incredibly talented Design team working on the "Avengers Project" in our Redwood City studio, just south of San Francisco. Benefits for this full-time position include competitive salary, health insurance options to suit all lifestyles, generous paid time-off, as well as other studio and corporate perks, such as a free gym and discounts on games and goodies.

Position Summary:

Reporting to the Lead Combat Designer, Crystal Dynamics is on the hunt for an experienced Combat Systems Designer. This Designer will be responsible for working with the Lead Designer, Lead Combat designer and Game Directors to plan, prototype and build combat systems that directly apply to a 3rd person cover based action adventure game.

https://crystald.com/careers/getJob/oRAK5fw0

It also sounds like an online game, so an Agent of SHIELD would also fit in with the create a character thing common in such games:

Lead Level Designer
Redwood City, CA, United States

Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding Lead Level Designer to join our design team to develop fun and unique online experiences. The Lead Level Designer will primarily focus on level development. A successful Lead Level Designer will be a hands-on individual contributor with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging various game modes and campaigns.

Essential Duties:

Concept, design and implement fun and engaging game levels from the ground up.
Guide, mentor, and lead the design and development of cutting-edge online experiences.

https://crystald.com/careers/getJob/oEWB5fw0

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Well, previous job postings did call the game a "third person cover shooter", so I guess it's not entirely impossible that you play an Agent of SHIELD instead:
Disappointing if true, this would be one of the worst routes to go with an Avenger's project. All these superheros with cool powers and we play as a SHIELD agent? lol

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing if true, this would be one of the worst routes to go with an Avenger's project. All these superheros with cool powers and we play as a SHIELD agent? lol
I remember when Warner Montreal bought it was a great idea to have you play as nameless thugs in Joker and Bane's gangs. That was some amazing decision making.

Oct 25, 2017

It also sounds like an online game, so an Agent of SHIELD would also fit in with the create a character thing common in such games:
You can't be serious there's just no way you make an AAA budget avengers game and have us be soldier number 482 Marvel/Square plz

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Maybe the multiplayer mode is SHIELD vs. Chitauri/Black Order, and players are chosen at random to play as Marvel heroes/villains, like Battlefront

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they're not even Crystal Dynamics anymore now that they have all these new people in these big roles.
Which is absolutely fine by me. I wouldn't trust them to make anything above a "pretty alright" game.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they let us play as all the avengers. Instead of new character or a random shield agent.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
Is the plan to stop making Tomb Raider after Shadow of the Tomb Raider? Or are they big enough to do 2 projects now?

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I am still not sure how this game will work. The good thing is it will hopefully be revealed at E3 so I don't have to be curios for that long.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hiring they have been doing around this title has been extremely impressive. Looks like they are setting very high expectations for it internally

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I know she is not part of it, but an Amy Hennig written Tomb Raider title would be something I'd love to experience.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Tell me how you gonna make an Avengers game, and not have to devise gameplay mechanics so different that they serve different characters? The best way would be to adopt the XCOM model, or the good old top down action rpg.