• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So, if you've been following along, this is what many have been assuming this product is, but this is probably our strongest sign yet.

I will note that the game also has a singleplayer producer role (mentioned in a previous thread), though given this job posting, maybe the thing they're working on is one and the same.

Highlights:
  • There was previously some debate about whether the online in the Avengers game was competitive multiplayer or co-operative multiplayer. This is probably are strongest sign toward it being the latter (though it doesn't necessarily rule out the former). I know some people seemed worried this game was a hero shooter or something.
  • The job is for an external lead designer (basically someone who overseas what Eidos Montreal is doing), though they have had similar postings internally at Crystal Dynamics.
  • The job mentions many times that it's for online, and wants experience making online levels, social gameplay, and that you will be leading the development of "cutting-edge online experiences".
  • However, where this differs from previous job postings is that it describes the type of levels you will be involved with. Namely, "Can easily break down core level design elements and use them when for creating combat, puzzle and traversal sections of a level". I'm not sure of any online competitive game that has level design based puzzle gameplay, but that's quite common when playing something like Destiny or even regular campaign games cooperatively.
  • Again, they also have a singleplayer producer job, but it's possible they're ultimately for the same thing. For example, you wouldn't hire a competitive multiplayer map designer to lead Far Cry 5's campaign, even if the entire game is optionally playable in co-op.
  • The job postings do still refer to "various modes and campaigns", so it's possible this project is so big that there's a co-op campaign and a singleplayer campaign, but they might also just have like a PvP mode or consider things like dungeons separately from regular campaign missions.
  • Barring a notably surprising finding, this will probably be the last thing we can get out of Crystal Dynamics' job postings, given they are supposed to reveal this game in the first half of the year (presumably E3).
External Lead Designer
Redwood City, CA, United States

Description
The Lead Designer works with external partners to ensure they deliver at a high standard of playability and fun. While this is generally a hands off role, we are looking for a person with execution experience who can work in engine with external partners. They should have a high level of expertise in formalized 3D world building processes, from planning and paper maps to 3D software implementation in a proprietary engine. A successful Lead Designer will be a hands-on individual contributor with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging various game modes and campaigns. They must be able to iterate and refine their level given many different development challenges. The person filling the position should be comfortable with scripting in a visual-based scripting language. The ideal candidate should display strong collaborative skills when working with multiple disciplines including Narrative, Environment art, systems design and engineering.

Essential Duties & Responsibilities
  • Concept, design and implement fun and engaging game levels from the ground up.
  • Guide, mentor, and lead the design and development of cutting-edge online experiences.
  • Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stake holders.
  • Broad based understanding about what makes levels and systems fun.
  • Ability to design and develop level design from concept to finished product.
  • Strong math and balancing skills.
  • Excellent knowledge of game design theory and game development concepts.
  • Experience documenting and tuning game systems.
  • An understanding of contemporary game design and the competitive landscape.
  • A great passion and enthusiasm for designing and playing games
Requirements:
  • 7+ years of Level Design experience.
  • Must have at least one AAA game shipped as a Level Designer, ideally in a Senior or Lead capacity.
  • Experience working on levels for highly rated (AAA) action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles.
  • Experience developing levels for online experiences.
  • Leadership experience in guiding design teams.
  • Strong understanding of the competitive landscape.
  • A passion for playing and developing games.
  • Bachelor's degree or equivalent in a game development program or similar
  • Experience with 3D level design tools (Unity, Maya, and Unreal). Unity being a must.
  • Experience working with proprietary development tools utilizing modular development for 3D assets in a prototype methodology for world building.
  • Experience building large open worlds with a keen eye for system design concepts a plus
  • Great working knowledge of game design theory and game development methodologies including level design theory and practice
  • Can easily break down core level design elements and use them when for creating combat, puzzle and traversal sections of a level
  • Must display evidence of work in portfolio style during interview (level design layouts, block mesh layouts, paper maps, etc)
  • Mid to advanced experience with common game scripting languages unreal script, C#, Python / Lua
  • A deep passion and enthusiasm for making and playing action/adventure games
  • A good understanding of the competitive landscape in the console world
  • Must be able work in both a collaborative and "get it done" environment
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.
Source: https://www.crystald.com/careers/getJob/osPd7fwl

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Coop is good. Gimme. And please hire people who actually played coop games before, unlike those Bungie guys.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After seeing the Spider-Man combat footage, my expectations have gone up quite a bit for comic book games. Good luck CD, hope it's great.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
All I want to know is are we playing as avengers in a campaign or using nameless footsoldier hero. That will pretty much determine whether I care about this game or not.

So in theory Square Enix is supposed to unveil the game and then announce other Marvel games this year.

We'll see if those plans actually held.

spider-sense%20tingling.jpg

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Well, you'd hope there'd be some cooperation seeing as its... the Avengers.

But playing as SHIELD agents in a game called Avengers would be disingenuous and disappointing. You have such a diverse range of skills and powers and you pick... guys with guns. No way.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You will play as Century
latest

There's maybe five people on this forum besides you that know what tf Force Works is. Nevermind could pick Century out of that photo.

Anyway, yeah I'd buy this game coming out in 2020 as a Destiny-like. Shouldn't be hard as long as they master making each character playing differently.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you play as SHIELD Agents in this game then my hype is at zero. You don't proudly announce you are making a game with the biggest superhero team in the world and then put us in the roles of the redshirts.

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny but with SHIELD agents sounds pretty weak. People want the avengers out of...you know....an avengers game...

I am really, really interested in seeing what the reveal shows.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see something on this game I get less interested in it. It just sounds like trend chasing: the game without a single unique idea to it.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this the most out of E3. Co-op is a good sign. I really just want to play as Cap in his Winter Soldier suit.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017
Just look at Warframe. IF CD just clone the "format" and just give it an Avenger coat of paint; It will give DE some serious competition.

DE had already proof how to make that format work, sustainable and profitable; All they need is to do just Ctrl-C Ctrl-V.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder if we're going to see like a dozen Marvel games at E3, I hope not.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sure hope you get to play as the core team and not some rookie with customizable power trees etc.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I was exaggerating for effect.

'Just don't play them' is a bit of a copout though, since it's still something these studios are working on instead of something else.

LOL. Now you know how I felt when people were saying "just don't play remasters".

I'd love a dozen Marvel games at E3. Or just two or three more, even. By the way...

So in theory Square Enix is supposed to unveil the game and then announce other Marvel games this year.

We'll see if those plans actually held.

Source?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
https://news.marvel.com/games/58571...m-multi-year-multi-game-creative-partnership/

More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018.

Eidos Montreal is heavily rumored to be making a Guardians of the Galaxy game with the Deus Ex team, so presumably it's a small teaser for that. I imagine they just opted to wait on announcing that one since they wanted to get the final Tomb Raider game out the door first, and then begin their hiring spree while the game is actually in production and can take on a lot of staff.