• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Crystal Dynamics has several positions available for a multiplayer related project. Lead Multiplayer Systems Designer, Technical Director - Online, Online Services Engineer and Live Operations Producer are some of the jobs listed on their recruiting page. "Join now to be part of the formative stages of a new original AAA game being built in our Redwood City studio" reads a Lead Enviroment Artist listing. Lead Combat Designer asks for "focus on ranged combat control, tuning, and balance in a PVE and PVP multiplayer environment". A "creative, multiplayer focused" lead economy designer is wanted for "designing and driving progression systems, engaging rewards, and setting a path for an ongoing in-game economy." Most of these listings require experience in "designing multiplayer gameplay systems for highly rated AAA action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles" and "must have at least one AAA game shipped as a Lead Designer on Multiplayer games." Marvel's Avengers is a GaaS title, so this could very well tie-in to future DLC but for now the game is limited to fixed co-op missions, all of those PvE. A PvP mode has not been mentioned yet, but I doubt this would work well in terms of balancing. Marvel and Square Enix signed a 'multi-year, multi-game' deal back in Jan 2017, so the next game could very well be multiplayer focussed.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably that Guardians of the Galaxy game
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised that a small amount of people (around 50 allegedly) from Eidos Montreal worked on Avengers while the main crew worked on the core Guardians game, and now with the Avengers launch they're switching positions (a small amount of people from Crystal Dynamics helping them).

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Im so hype for this MCU style univese in game form. Feed this shit to me ASAP. I cant wait to see GotG show up, along with X-Men too eventually.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
That's Eidos Montreal
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised that a small amount of people (around 50 allegedly) from Eidos Montreal worked on Avengers while the main crew worked on the core Guardians game, and now with the Avengers launch they're switching positions (a small amount of people from Crystal Dynamics helping them).
Isn't Eidos Montreal making that?
I think you're right.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So, completely new Game or Avengers DLC/post-launch content?
Wouldn´t it be kinda strange to have several indidivual, competing GaaS-games from the same Dev set within the same larger Universe?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My guess, it'll be for the X-Men. With no mutants in the pipeline for Avengers beyond Scarlet Witch (who's debatable given the retcons she & Quicksilver saw in the comics) & Eidos Montreal making that Guardians of the Galaxy game, it's the only other major Marvel property that would fit the multiplayer mold & could expand for years to come like Avengers.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Marvel's "Agents of Shield" a third person co-op and PvP shooter where you play as custom Shield agents in the singleplayer/co-op and in PvP it's Shield vs Hydra

Crossover with Marvel's Avengers when they get their big "Introducing Hydra" expansion

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My guess, it'll be for the X-Men. With no mutants in the pipeline for Avengers beyond Scarlet Witch (who's debatable given the retcons she & Quicksilver saw in the comics) & Eidos Montreal making that Guardians of the Galaxy game, it's the only other major Marvel property that would fit the multiplayer mold & could expand for years to come like Avengers.

please no

please don't have crystal dynamics work on the x-men :(

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Either Avengers content or Guardians, but PVP content might point to the latter.

Guardians is technically a "new original" since it hasn't ever been officially announced, and I'm sure some of the work is going to be handled by CD too, like how Montreal did for Avengers.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
inb4 seperate X-Men game or something like that

but I do think this will be a new IP and isn't tied to Marvel personally

Oct 24, 2019
Considering that Avengers was described as the "first game in a multi year partnership between Square Enix and Marvel," I'm assuming this will be a Marvel game.

Eidos is doing GotG, so maybe CD will do something X-Men related? Would fit nicely with the MCU timeline to introduce mutants— by the time this game is done in a few years, mutants should be back in the forefront of pop culture via the MCU

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Marvel's "Agents of Shield" a third person co-op and PvP shooter where you play as custom Shield agents in the singleplayer/co-op and in PvP it's Shield vs Hydra

Crossover with Marvel's Avengers when they get their big "Introducing Hydra" expansion
I wish they'd do this, but you know this ain't happening.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember Soul Reaver?
:(

oVz3oL.gif

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
I guess since the movies do so well they're just gonna make a MP/Gaas AAA game for every franchise. No matter how good the game or idea is.

Oct 24, 2019
I guess since the movies do so well they're just gonna make a MP/Gaas AAA game for every franchise. No matter how good the game or idea is.

Honestly, a Midnight Sons GaaS in the style of Avengers could be fucking dope.

Core team could be: Blade, Moon Knight, Doctor Strange, Elsa Bloodstone, Ghost Rider, and Punisher

Then over time you could add in people like: Daimon Hellstrom, Man-Thing, Morbius, Werewolf by Night, Doctor Voodoo, etc.

Edit:
Hell, I don't care how they do it, just give me a Midnight Sons game!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a good theory and would let both series have a larger amount of character diversity.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

When Scarlet Witch shows up she won't be a mutant. That is basically guaranteed.

I honestly don't think they will ever retcon it back. Like if they were ever going to try and retcon it, it probably would have happened during the Powers/House of X stuff, and it didn't.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They're already adding Quake & Mockingbird to Avengers, so I'm not sure if they bother doing a dedicated SHIELD game.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I would guess there is a better-than-average chance that this is another Marvel title. My understanding is the Marvel deal is both a multi-game and a multi-year investment, so we could be looking at least a couple more Marvel games down the pipeline. Which is a shame, because I'd much rather have my Tomb Raider and Deus Ex back.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's X-Men, but the words "original AAA game" leads me to believe it's a new IP, not connected to any license.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass

Throw in cross-game invasions and you have yourself a game!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
3rd person shooter huh? At least it's not a FPS, I can deal with 3rd, just don't rely too heavily on guns and I may be interested.