• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
This sticks out as their previous job postings asked for PS4/XB1/PC experience, whereas this is asking for experience with current and next-gen PlayStation and Xbox platforms.

It would be rather odd to call the 360 and PS3 "current gen" at the end of 2018.

They did also note that Avengers will be a game that lasts for years, so it wouldn't be shocking if they were intending to move it over (assuming it actually releases prior to Fall 2020).

Lead Software Engineer

• Experience with current and next gen platforms: Xbox, PlayStation, and PC
Source: https://crystald.com/careers

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
How can people have experience working on next gen titles if literally zero have shipped????

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Work experience requirements are getting crazy, now you need a time machine to get a job.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you even get experience in next gen platforms? They aren't a thing yet.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is making me excited and hopeful we´ll get some Xbox Scarlet news at the November 10th show!

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how early the first dev kits were released in regards to next gen consoles.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm, could just be for Avengers or maybe they're already staffing up a bit for the next Tomb Raider game (which, I'm assuming, is being handled by Crystal again).

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Makes sense since Avengers is probably cross-gen (at least)
It's also GaaS and they would want progress to carry over to retain players

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Confirmation that the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver remake will be a PS5 launch title.
I wish

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, could just be for Avengers or maybe they're already staffing up a bit for the next Tomb Raider game (which, I'm assuming, is being handled by Crystal again).
As far as I can tell, they seem to be nigh entirely on The Avengers, plus 50 supporting staff from Eidos Montreal to boot.

They're not actually an especially large studio as it's too expensive to hire Bay Area staff (hence the new Washington studio as well).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Suprised we haven't had any spec leaks yet.

How close were PS4 and Xbone to release when we got the first leaks?

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into it. One possibility is that they've based this job posting on an old one for the same kind of position, when "next gen" meant the current generation at a time when it was closer to launch. Asking for the moon in hope of getting to the tree tops is also quite common in job listings, and I've seen examples before when X years of experience with a certain technology was required when the technology hadn't even existed for X years yet. Perhaps the HR person responsible for the listing knew that the position would entail working with next gen consoles, and added experince with it as a requirement without understanding how unrealistic it would be.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
I'm ready for next gen whether it's 2019 or 2020, and whether it's Sony or MS (or both at the same time).

Next gen talks and hints are always exciting.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Dev kits are inbound. Curious about what game SE want to make.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, yes I am from the future and have experience with the current, erm, I mean next-gen consoles.

I think my greatest weakness is not loving Zeep Zork hard enough.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The number of next generation projects just keeps getting larger

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how cross gen will work

If the CPU is indeed as powerful as people thinks, will be a huge bottleneck in the "old" gen.

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know how cross gen will work

If the CPU is indeed as powerful as people thinks, will be a huge bottleneck in the "old" gen.

Well, you can just decide not to take advantage of the extra power from the CPU in any meaningful way.

Super popular games that have never been about technical performance will probably get away with it really easily.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
How someone will have "experience" with next-gen? Doesn't make sense.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
My question is how many people are contacting within development teams? Sounds like video games development is heaven for contractors.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, games take 2-3 years to make, so stands to reason that games in early development now would be aiming for cross gen.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
This reminds me of a job posting I've seen many years ago. Some company searched for an IT expert with at least five years experience with a certain software... .That only existed for one year.

Either way, it's about damn time to work on next gen games. Bring them on!

Jul 13, 2018
How can people have experience working on next gen titles if literally zero have shipped????
I think you guys may be putting a bit too much thought into the "experience with next-gen platforms" part of the job description. I'm sure many AAA devs make educated guesses on what next-gen hardware will be capable of even before Microsoft/Sony send out dev kits. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to what this may be. I've heard that Square also has the license for X-Men, so could this be a next-gen X-Men game?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Crystal Northwest a satellite studio dedicated to technology development (I'm assuming R&D work, engine development, infrastructure work, etc)? Based on the press release, it doesn't seem like the studio will be actively working on an IP of their own (initially anyways).

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think that 2019 will be the year of next gen consoles.