• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
They've always looked fine. I do remember the release thread where everyone and their mother was giving out about how they were the MCU versions though. That kind of criticism can be brushed away.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think they should've just went for a more out there/original design philosophy in general

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man if only Capcom did the character designs of this game using Re Engine :(

Instead we got a bunch of cosplayers

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't love the designs when I first saw them but I cannot (cannot!) stand when we have one of these threads that rips into developers in the classic lazy developers" criticism. Sure the OP has a lot of words but it still boils down to claims of straight forward fixes.

I do not envy Crystal Dynamics here. I imagine they had to stick to a vaguely realistic look to attract fans of the films. They can't go full comic design because a lot of those designs are stupid. Look at that Scarlet Witch costume. In what fictional universe could you justify that to someone not familiar with the comics. There's plenty of other examples as well. Wolverine's comes to mind. It's iconic to those who grew up with eh comics/ animated series but makes no sense to anyone else.

Of course, I could be completely wrong with all this, I'm making massive assumptions but that's the problem with these threads, they involve hundreds of people making numerous assumptions about the motives of developers. Based on no evidence other than conjecture and reference to other people's conjecture.

One thing I feel pretty confident in is that the Devs are doing their best and if they aren't designing something a certain way, there is probably a good reason for that.

I wouldn't even have felt the need to say anything if this thread didn't have the tedious undertone of "why don't the devs just implement this easy fix!". We can do better than this.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
0-wait-a-minute-you-quys-arent-the-real-avengers-58192628.png

Yeah, I reaaaally hated that riot gear Cap. Glad that new Secret Empire outfit got rid of the "clunk".

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree I think it has everything to do with MCU. They tried to go too close to the MCU without being exactly like them and the results are bad cosplay.

The Thor change shows that actually trying for something a little more original works wonders.

Im excited for this game now.

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I thought this type of game would be my dream game with co-op. But the designs are too off putting, I can't enjoy whatever Cap and Tony these are.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree I think it has everything to do with MCU. They tried to go too close to the MCU without being exactly like them and the results are bad cosplay.

The Thor change shows that actually trying for something a little more original works wonders.

Im excited for this game now.
Agreed.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I didn't have as much problem with the overal design as I did the hair. It looked awful. They've improved that so I will give it a chance.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Comic book fans are used to design changes. Hell, the art is different between artists when multiple issues release each month. Action Comics current artist is different from Superman and different from Justice League and different from Batman and Superman.

We can handle changes. That's the literal definition of comics. It's a story ABOUT change.

And yeah, they improved the art after being criticized and trying to blame us for calling them out is petty.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Comic book fans are used to design changes. Hell, the art is different between artists when multiple issues release each month. Action Comics current artist is different from Superman and different from Justice League and different from Batman and Superman.

We can handle changes. That's the literal definition of comics. It's a story ABOUT change.

And yeah, they improved the art after being criticized and trying to blame us for calling them out is petty.
I don't envy anyone in PR who has to deflect the criticism. They often aren't the ones calling the shots, and they can't predict the future of even what changes could be possible if there is criticism. Their job is to hype up the game, deflect the criticism, and hope for the best.

Clearly, they have been making changes based on feedback and initial pushback.

That doesn't mean the statements given aren't, yeah, pretty bogus. We have a long history of faces changing from art style to art style in comics, TV shows, cartoons, and even movie recastings. Peter doesn't look like Tobey, Andrew, or Tom in Spider-man PS4, but that's okay.

I think there's a very good reason the game got delayed and it's because it just needed more work. Whatever facial capture they used just didn't "click" with people, and it's something I've seen that's common with popular character. Mortal Kombat and Injustice went through the exact same complaints to a smaller degree.
5dYXkvR.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Blows my mind that these designs got a ok. For a realistic approach they look awful but they also just look boring as hell.

Why go for a badly looking discount MCU with your more realistic look when you could have went for a super stylized artstyle

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
How is Tony Stark looking now? And the Helmet faceplate? It looked a bit small before.

Captain America was trash, Thor looks good now.

Their excuses are laughable. They were just bad character models + strange art choices. Hope they keep improving them.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, I think it looks plain bad. I thought Deus ex looked way better, no? Was the game shown too early?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that their modelling is in the uncanny valley which when more closely compared to the movies instead of the comics (since they chose a realistic style) makes them look even more jarring and off in comparison. I wish they'd gone with something more stylized looking. Going with a realistic art style and not using the actual actors was asking for unwanted comparisons (see the older Bond games when they couldn't get the actors' likenesses)
This.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Faces are hard. They obviously fucked up with that initial reveal and have improved in recent showings. Managed to go from "lolwow" to "that's fine". Hopefully the delay helps even more.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they started looking like trash and now they're still... Suspicious looking, to say the least.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't envy anyone in PR who has to deflect the criticism. They often aren't the ones calling the shots, and they can't predict the future of even what changes could be possible if there is criticism. Their job is to hype up the game, deflect the criticism, and hope for the best.

Clearly, they have been making changes based on feedback and initial pushback.

That doesn't mean the statements given aren't, yeah, pretty bogus. We have a long history of faces changing from art style to art style in comics, TV shows, cartoons, and even movie recastings. Peter doesn't look like Tobey, Andrew, or Tom in Spider-man PS4, but that's okay.

I think there's a very good reason the game got delayed and it's because it just needed more work. Whatever facial capture they used just didn't "click" with people, and it's something I've seen that's common with popular character. Mortal Kombat and Injustice went through the exact same complaints to a smaller degree.
5dYXkvR.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
These changes are mostly similar, in the sense that the designs in the initial reveals are just purely bad in general and beyond "you can't please everyone".