• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
'PlayStation SSD speeds reach 8-9 GB in peak mode. Now that we've reached this speed, what else will happen apart from loading games and more details?

The first thing to do is remove the loading page from the games. Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be below zero in PlayStation
mrw-i-disable-flux-at-night-203195.gif

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Doesn't matter which one is better tbh. Gamers have decided Teraflops are what matters. The marketing is already complete.

It's too early IMO. I remember prior to PS3 launch a lot of conventional wisdom was that the PS3 would be more powerful and run games better and that sure didn't stand a year later. Granted, the 200$ price difference was what people were really talking about at the time anyways (and the younger average age of a forum user made that a lot more important back then).

As someone who isn't super tech savvy (despite having a minor in computer engineering, lol), I'll wait until the boxes are actually out. It feels like there's too much conflicting information going around right now.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
While some of the interview is interesting, I feel like it should've been translated better before a thread was made for it.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"At my signal, unleash hell".

I think he's just echoing what we've heard from other developers. Series X is more powerful but PS5 is seemingly easier to get the most out of. Glad to see what Cerny said about ease of development for the PS5 is true according to developers as well. He expects by the end of the gen, Series X will have a more noticeable difference with the games.

Regardless, both machines will please gamers. Everyone should be happy. Of course, that's not going to happen.
Get your sanity out of here. lol

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Very interesting read. Devs seem to be very happy with the PS5. Developing games for it seems incredibly easy.

I wonder what the split memory pool for xbox will mean in the long run

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
Very interesting read, His comments on Windows and DirectX somewhat holding Xbox back compared to PS5 where Sony don't have to really retain old architecture/frameworks and that means things are built for next gen exclusively takes me back to Cerny's comments on Backwards compat and gives a perspective on their whole issues with making sure PS4 games run on next gen, compared to MS that take a very different approach to this, thinking more about providing a soft transition to next gen and letting them take all their porting to next gen very easily (at least compared to Sony)

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How reliable is that source? Some of those quotes sound wrong even to a layman like myself (eg. Sony makes its own software therefore it's better)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just quickly copy over some posts I made on some easy to spot issues with the interview:
Yeah... this interview is really weird, though maybe it did just get totally mangled by Google translate, but I don't see how that would result in errors like him being totally wrong about the RAM and other weird statements about the XSX.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Goodness just when it begins to slow down someone stokes the flame, can we just get the damn machines then decide who does what better

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I can actually read Farsi. It is not his experience, it is based on what he has heard and it is public.

He thinks playstation API is better than directx so it will be easier to work and extract performance.

More CUs will have trouble reaching peak performance because they migtht not have access to resources, they have to compete over resources. He compares them to older AMD cpus with high core count vs Intel's. (my note: this comparison is so wrong on many levels) Rest of it is just Cerny's presentation pretty much about higher clocks.

PS5 loading time could be sub second. (this is your negative time google fail).

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Before people freak out the programmer seems to acknowledge that XSX will probably keep native 4K more often because of the higher CU/TF number but that the PS5 has other strengths than just pure resolution and that it's easier to code for for various reasons including single RAM pool and simpler software tools.

He also seems to like Sony's variable frequency approach so that kind of goes against speculation that it would be troublesome for devs.

How legit is this site though because this sounds like stuff a Crytek employee wouldn't be allowed to talk about.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So yea, quite the wonky translation. That said it reads like the preference for this programmer comes down to the OS & APIs. From what I understand, historically, Sony's offerings allow devs to get "closer to the metal" and so I suppose this makes sense.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
This guy appears to be legit, but I'm expecting someone fluent to confirm this translation. Google Translate has aberrations sometimes. Can't wait til Master Chief arrives.

Deto

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
I think the next generation will be the same. But towards the end at higher native resolutions, the PlayStation 5 will probably be in a little trouble, and the X-Series will be able to display more pixels.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I can actually read Farsi. It is not his experience, it is based on what he has heard and it is public.

He thinks playstation API is better than directx so it will be easier to work and extract performance.

More CUs will have trouble reaching peak performance because they migtht not have access to resources, they have to compete over resources. He compares them to older AMD cpus with high core count vs Intel's. (my note: this comparison is so wrong on many levels) Rest of it is just Cerny's presentation pretty much about higher clocks.

PS5 loading time could be sub second. (this is your negative time google fail).
Is his comparison between the Xbox One and Xbox Series X RAM also totally wrong like it sounds in the google translation?

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation SSD speeds reach 8-9 GB in peak mode. Now that we've reached this speed, what else will happen apart from loading games and more details?

The first thing to do is remove the loading page from the games. Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be below zero in PlayStation

:)
Below zero lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.