• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on, i've been waiting for this game for so long and it's made so much progress. Couldn't they wait until the game is essentially finished and making money before suing?

They're requesting an injunction, so they seem to think that this is the most money the game is going to make and they need to keep CIG from spending more of it.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this count as still using CryEngine?

DQ83XWxX4AA4iJj.jpg:large

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this reeks of crazy mismanagement or disorganization. They were apparently warned by Crytek multiple times and still didn't do anything. That's just asking for trouble.

Yeah, you'd think the person who negotiated the contract from Crytek who went on to join CIG would be aware of the requirements they had to meet.

License Agreement ("GLA") with Crytek. The GLA was extensively negotiated, and negotiations on behalf of the Defendants were led by one of the Defendants' co-founders, Freyermuth. In prior years, Freyermuth also represented Crytek in negotiations of similar license agreements with third parties. Notwithstanding that he had confidential information about Crytek's licensing practices that would unfairly advantage Defendants, Freyermuth never recused himself from those negotiations and never resolved that conflict of interest with Crytek. The negotiations on behalf of Crytek were led by Carl Jones, then an employee of Crytek.Jones later left Crytek and became an employee of Defendants.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like if this is legit, Roberts has all his generous backers to thank for the legal bills. I'd be pissed if i dumped thousands into this. Only dumped 30$

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
The big question here is... can Crytek remain solvent long enough to see this court case through....?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever any proof they actually switched things over to Lumberyard. I thought people were finding in current builds coding that said said things were still running in CryEngine. Yet CIG were claiming otherwise? As a result removing the Cry logos, etc.

Ether way the things listed seem pretty clear and direct. Easy enough to prove as well. No statement yet from CIG?

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever any proof they actually switched things over to Lumberyard. I thought people were finding in current builds coding that said said things were still running in CryEngine. Yet CIG were claiming otherwise? As a result removing the Cry logos, etc.

Ether way the things listed seem pretty clear and direct. Easy enough to prove as well. No statement yet from CIG?
Lumberyard is a fork of Cryengine. Amazon paid $50 million to use it.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what Lumberyard currently contains re: Crytek references, I think Amazon have a certain period of time before they need to replace everything with their own code? So not sure if recent Bugsmashers footage would be relevant or not, but Crytek have an issue with the code being shown on Bugsmashers prior to the Lumberyard switch anyway.

I find it surprising that everything wasn't renamed via few days of heavy find & replace use tbh, that should be within Amazon's abilities.

Legacy code like that is pretty common. Easier to keep the names than risk breaking something.

Literally a text string of "CryEngine warning" in the recent example, which wouldn't break anything to change, but again I don't know what Lumberyard contains in that regard.

edit: looking at the documentation there is still a lot of 'Cry' in Amazon's version.
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/system-intro.html

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Merge Squad42 and MP back into a single game package.

Problem solved.

1 game. 1 license.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
More incentive for them to release this sometime this decade.

Thanks Crytek. Squadron 42 looks amazing.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Folks on the SC subreddit dug up a 2014 post from Erin Roberts on the SC forums, with Erin claiming that:

We did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code, so while we hope all the noise about Crytek blows over, as they are great partners and friends to the project, if the worse happened we would be ok, as we've already branched the engine and have a large team that is adding features and supporting it every day here at CIG.

Adds another wrinkle to the events.

Trekkie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The user was warned for this post. Don't make inflammatory drive-by posts.
Star Citizen is never coming out

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Folks on the SC subreddit dug up a 2014 post from Erin Roberts on the SC forums, with Erin claiming that:

Adds another wrinkle to the events.

It is curious how this is going to play out because between the agreement they stated they made with GLA, CiG claiming to purchase engine build and source code also deal with amazon lumberyard which is also a build of cryengine.

Post from Chris roberts
:

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

The fact that they mentioned they were making both SC and SQ42 as distinct entities as far back as kickstarter, and the game is not finished being made yet, brings up some interesting questions. Knowing more of the details makes Cryteks claims seem like they are reaching. But I would imagine it is dependent on the terms of the original GLA and whether or not the engine/source purchase superceeds that.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Also Skadden Arps is a very legit and powerful law firm, I can't imagine they would have taken this case if they didn't think Crytek's claims were credible
Law firms, even the largest ones (and you're right that Skadden are huge), aren't actually that choosy about cases, provided that the client can pay. (And provided that it isn't some sort of contingent fee arrangement.)

Burny

Oct 26, 2017
Why would it be in jeopardy? At worst, Crytek will get a payout but Cloud Imperium has bank, they can handle it.

Bank, "backed" to them in good faith and with much shouting from the roofs of how the evil publisher is eliminated from the equation in their approach, for the purpose of delivering the "Best damn space sim ever" (CIGs own claim before having produced a released game). Not to majorly fuck up and settle lawsuits with it.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Law firms, even the largest ones (and you're right that Skadden are huge), aren't actually that choosy about cases, provided that the client can pay. (And provided that it isn't some sort of contingent fee arrangement.)
In this case I guess I was thinking that Crytek may not be the most financially solvent company right now, so Skadden would have really confirmed that the claims are credible before taking the case

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Bank, "backed" to them in good faith and with much shouting from the roofs of how the evil publisher is eliminated from the equation in their approach, for the purpose of delivering the "Best damn space sim ever" (CIGs own claim before having produced a released game). Not to majorly fuck up and settle lawsuits with it.

This kind of stuff is as much a part of operating a business and making shit as paying the rent especially if you have a lot of money. People come after it, that's why they have counsel on staff.

It's not even clear as yet that they fucked up. Obviously, the opposition is going to make their side appear as angelic as possible.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How can you sue someone for releasing a game that isn't released?
Crytek requires an up-front license fee; the Star Citizen team only paid that fee for one game, but at some point changed their minds to release two separate games. They then decided to change game engines, which means they won't be putting in the logos they agreed to put in the game to get a discount on that fee.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get one thing. They had agreement for one game and deal that such game could only be built in CryEngine. Since Squadon 42 is separate game and it's using different tech how would that fit into the suit? The game isn't out yet, even in alpha state, so Squadron 42 shouldn't be affected by it.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Crytek requires an up-front license fee; the Star Citizen team only paid that fee for one game, but at some point changed their minds to release two separate games. They then decided to change game engines, which means they won't be putting in the logos they agreed to put in the game to get a discount on that fee.

Just to be clear, that doesn't actually mean that. They could potentially keep the logos since they did part of the development in Crytek.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crytek doesn't pay their employees and overworks them, so fuck the company

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2012 - SQ42 and Star Citizen are one game.
2014 - CIG buyout their fork of the engine (cost would be in the millions).
2016 - CIG split SQ42 and Star Citizen into two different packages.

Why would SQ42 be part of that crytek agreement if they own their fork of Cryengine?

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku article: https://kotaku.com/crytek-sues-star-citizen-makers-for-breaching-contract-1821269577

CIG gave them a statement:
"We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn't used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon's Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter."

The statement is interesting in that one of Crytek's main claims was that they switched engines and violated the agreement. So they must have a different understanding of the GLA

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kotaku article: https://kotaku.com/crytek-sues-star-citizen-makers-for-breaching-contract-1821269577

CIG gave them a statement:

The statement is interesting in that one of Crytek's main claims was that they switched engines and violated the agreement. So they must have a different understanding of the GLA
It's hard to know who's right without the original agreement's wording.

Erm - not really when you're trying to market it as a different product/IP. And definitely not 3 years in.
Marketing doesn't normally matter for internally used code. No one else usually sees it.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I've never even heard of Lumberyard before this. So Amazon licensed Crytek in order to (I assume) make games in their internal games studio, but also somehow got a license from Crytek to sublicense Lumberyard to other developers without Crytek seeing any money for that? Sounds like a bad deal on Crytek's part, this lawsuit notwithstanding.

Ahegao

Oct 28, 2017
I've never even heard of Lumberyard before this. So Amazon licensed Crytek in order to (I assume) make games in their internal games studio, but also somehow got a license from Crytek to sublicense Lumberyard to other developers without Crytek seeing any money for that? Sounds like a bad deal on Crytek's part, this lawsuit notwithstanding.
Didn't this deal save them from Bankruptcy. Maybe they had no choice.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
Erm - not really when you're trying to market it as a different product/IP. And definitely not 3 years in.

Maaaate. About 7 years ago my company consumed a smaller one... today we still have all kinds of horrible code referencing the previous variable names/etc...

Commenting almost never gets updated.