• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Link

Basically, the main part of the lawsuit, the breach of contract complaints have been dismissed.

The judge has given Crytek until the 21st of Dec to amend their complaint with new facts before she out right dismissed that part of the case.

Looks like the case is finally dead in the water, the other complaints have been declared by the judge to be minor enough to not warrant any damages.

Edit:

Direct link to the judges decisions: Link

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they should have thought long and hard before they decided to allow Amazon to fork CryEngine for $50M.

granted, they needed that money bad, so I can't imagine it was a hard decision

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty clear Crytek was in the right? Star Citizen dev's Crytek engine contract said they can make one game, then they started making a second companion game. Am I remembering wrong?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
they should have thought long and hard before they decided to allow Amazon to fork CryEngine for $50M.

They still own Cryengine, just not the branch off they sold Amazon.

Crytek is doing fine these days, they've trimmed their fat to the level of a AA studio but continue their government contracts (military mostly) and hunt showdown has a consistent community and updates. Don't expect anything big out of them soon.

OP
OP
Armaros

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

The puzzling part was that they did hire a high powered lawyer, but their main argument ended up being to try to twist conventional contract law and state the license meant CIG could only use the crytek engine, not that only CIG was allowed to use licenced engine and couldn't sell it to others

Like their main argument was to try to say standard licensing contacts have been wrong for decades upon decades.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a link to those court docs available for independent perusal, instead of watching someone else read them?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Crytek is doing fine these days, they've trimmed their fat to the level of a AA studio but continue their government contracts (military mostly) and hunt showdown has a consistent community and updates. Don't expect anything big out of them soon.
Lumberyard is still built on top of CryEngine, so I would say it's a branch/fork/whatever. if Crytek didn't sell the right to that, then maybe Star Citizen would still be on CE instead of moving, but Crytek really needed the money

Oct 31, 2017

I... thought losing these military contracts was exactly what put them in financial trouble in the first place?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Just hope the current employees are receiving their salaries on time now.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I... thought losing these military contracts was exactly what put them in financial trouble in the first place?
Nah, they are in that situation because they thought using be revenue from those contracts justified opening a total of 7 studios. They've seen sold / closed / consolidated those. Contracts remain. Issue was adding a ton of studios that didn't contribute anything to justify their costs. The VR titles, Dambusters troubled Homefront 2 + Warface's middling response outside of Russia and Cryengine being irrelevant post UE4 for game development meant whatever money they made from the government contracts was being burned.

Now they are basically a single game studio, new leadership (different brothers same family). Hunt Showdown brings in a little money, while they likely work on another project. The game had roughly 500k sales before steamspy lost the ability for accurate numbers? Game pulls 2-4k per day and gets constant updates. It's also coming to Xbox One.

They can't touch Crysis due to EA owning it and MS scrapped their early Ryse 2 pitch that involved England and knights fighting dragons because they wanted to own the IP (MS wanted the IP).

Turkey also apperently gave them a $500m investment lol