• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I played the entire game on nightmare and with a rule of no healing, but for some reason I was so tired that I just said fuck it and decided to finish quick the origins of life fight, since I couldn't grind to fight him and I found that he was way too tanky, I decided to use all the healing items that I never touched.

Now, about the ending It was incredible bittersweet, Dana's story already made it clear that no matter what you will never have a 100% happy ending with her, but it was still sad to see all castaway village forget about her, at least the true ending gave some closure to her, but I'm still sad that pretty much all eternians dissapeared. That being said, the ending was awesome, I really felt sad when I had to leave Seiren Island, since I knew that I will never see the other villagers again. Falcom really managed to make a powerful ending, which is a big contrast to memories of celceta where after finishing you pretty much forgot about everyone on that game

By the way, has Falcom ever explained how many gods are in the world? like, does Maia know Feena, Reah or Eldeel? or is a thing where each region has its own god?

With Ys it's not so much there are a bunch of gods but more that there are ancient civilizations. Ys 8 is some actual god territory stuff doubly so with the world getting fucking retconned :P

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Were not the characters that I mentioned actual gods? I know that reah and feena came from an ancient civilization, but for the most part they were still goddess, same with eldeel

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Were not the characters that I mentioned actual gods? I know that reah and feena came from an ancient civilization, but for the most part they were still goddess, same with eldeel
They were originally no different from humans but with their advanced technology, they were able to transfer their souls to the advanced winged-bodies made of white emelas. These bodies granted them immortality and the innate ability to control black emelas. They used the artifact called the mother of spirits to give birth to children who are naturally born with the bodies of white emelas. It is at this point that they became revered as "the winged ones" by other species.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Sprinkled around the games like cookie crumbs. Ys 6 reveals a bunch though
I see you copied that info word for word from the Ys wiki - I can vouch for all of it except
the part about giving birth to new Eldeen with an artifact called the "mother of spirits". That wiki page is literally the only result if you google "ys" + "mother of spirits". Are you sure this is real information? Because I definitely don't remember any mention of it at all, anywhere in the series, and I've played every game.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I see you copied that info word for word from the Ys wiki - I can vouch for all of it except
the part about giving birth to new Eldeen with an artifact called the "mother of spirits". That wiki page is literally the only result if you google "ys" + "mother of spirits". Are you sure this is real information? Because I definitely don't remember any mention of it at all, anywhere in the series, and I've played every game.
Isn't some of that from the art/data books?

Oct 25, 2017
Man these recent posts have me hopeful for this VIII release tomorrow. I'm still thinking of picking up Celceta PC first but I've really been itching for some Ys action.

Ys lore seems to be deeper than Kirby's

Lol well, I don't know what Star Allies pulls yet but Kirby lore wasn't really deep until relatively recently and I don't think the series falls back on it as much as Ys treats its lore as a foundation. I think it's more the disarming nature of it all that really catches people's attention, even if from Dream Land 1 Kirby has kind of been all about subverting expectations.

Either way they're both pretty rad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting, in which game was this explained?
it's mostly left vague but there is a timeline that released after Napishtim that Omgfloofy translated on her site that gives a lot of insight in the Eldeen lore
https://www.esterior.net/2016/07/tr...ilization-and-related-events-part-1-timeline/
https://www.esterior.net/2016/08/tr...ivilization-and-related-events-part-2-errata/
a direct source of where the mother of spirits thing comes from;
https://www.esterior.net/2016/07/tr...ilization-and-related-events-part-1-timeline/
https://www.esterior.net/2016/08/tr...ivilization-and-related-events-part-2-errata/

Andres

Oct 25, 2017

I drew fanart for Ark of Napishtim. I'm glad to see others have similar feelings about the game! Not my favorite gameplay wise but love the art, story, and characters.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Ark was the shake up the series needed at the time.

V >VI is a such massive improvement. Then we got Oath and Origin which makes Ark feel old lol. The designs and the music are still good. Gameplay was just done way better with his successors.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Ark was the shake up the series needed at the time.

V >VI is a such massive improvement. Then we got Oath and Origin which makes Ark feel old lol. The designs and the music are still good. Gameplay was just done way better with his successors.
It doesn't help I played Ark after Oath and Origins lol

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So I played some Beyond Oasis for the SEGA MD/Genesis and on the title it shows 'Music by Yuzo Koshiro'. I was quite pleased by this and was looking forward to a nice action (rpg) with kickass music.
...but the music feels nothing like his work with Falcom, what gives? Did he write the music but it was composed by someone else or something?

Oct 25, 2017
So I played some Beyond Oasis for the SEGA MD/Genesis and on the title it shows 'Music by Yuzo Koshiro'. I was quite pleased by this and was looking forward to a nice action (rpg) with kickass music.
...but the music feels nothing like his work with Falcom, what gives? Did he write the music but it was composed by someone else or something?

Koshiro just has a crazy range and was aiming for a specific romantic genre with Beyond Oasis. It's similar to how he was experimenting with techno/jungle for Streets of Rage 3 to mixed reception.

He'd revisit BO's style in the sequel and a few titles later down the line.

Its contemporary at the time also done by Koshiro was probably ActRaiser, though unfortunately I don't think the results of Beyond Oasis are nearly as well-regarded.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yuzo Koshiro has always done a wide variety of styles. Streets of Rage is nothing like Beyond Oasis which is nothing like ActRaiser which is nothing like Ys etc.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Fair enough. Beyond Oasis soundtrack just felt too calm for my tastes when it comes to Koshiro music.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I usually prefer more upbeat soundtracks too (e.g. classic and Iga-Castlevania > Lords of Shadow OST), but I've always enjoyed the moody atmosphere in Beyond Oasis. I think it works great in that game.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty bummed because I lost my save of YS IV – Dawn of Ys :(
I had to reinstall Windows, and the only thing I forgot to back up was this... I thought it was on another HDD.
I don't suppose anyone has a save file to share for an emulator, about two third through the game or so? I was close to getting to the Golden City.
If not, I'll have to settle on watching a let's play or something for the ending.
I was using the english fan trad and they did a great job, the voice acting is campy but it fits perfectly with the english dub from that era!

I'm working my way through the games in release order, and I intended to play the Super Nes version after that. I really liked Dawn of Ys and I'll play it again someday but I don't feel like starting over for now (the soundtrack is so freaking good though).

OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
All I have is a battery save from my Dawn of Ys playthrough, here. This may or may not get you what you want, but it might have a pre-final boss save or earlier. This should run in Mednafen, hopefully not restricted to whatever version I used.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll try it tonight! I have to get Mednafen first.

edit: I had no idea what I was doing at first with Mednafen but after some trial and error...

giphy.gif

There are five saves on your file and one of them is not too far from where I stopped, I think it's gonna take me less than an hour to go back where I was. And the best thing is that the save even works with the english version.
Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pasokon Deacon
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Glad to know it worked out! I recommend fiddling with RetroArch later when you find time to play more PC Engine (CD) games. The Easymode-CRT shader looks and performs like a dream on my LCD monitors, just what I wanted for a somewhat authentic look.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Normally, I might stay up until midnight to watch, but since I have to get up early the day after, that's not gonna happen this time. Curious about the new feature. It might be something small, like the "start on most recent savegame"-kind of feature Durante added to Cold Steel II or it might be something big like the Warp feature and Catastrophe mode they added to Napishtim.

After the shitshow that was Ys VIII, I'm eager to see XSeed release an Ys game on Steam again.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Xseed had their Celceta stream earlier today. Here's a link to the archive: link

Right off the bat they reveal that the game has an HDR setting that they're running in (hence the brightness).
At around the 17:00 minute mark they start teasing the new feature.
Boss Rush Time Attack and integrated Online Leaderboards
At 21:00 they show off the game's Additional Options menu so you can see what can be toggled in the PC version.
It goes by pretty fast so I took some snaps and put them together here, pretty sure I got all of them: link
Game has full keyboard and mouse support plus can be fully customized, and the touchscreen features that were in the VITA version can be emulated with any control scheme available (I think we knew this already though?).
At around 26:20 Tom talks about another bonus the PC version will get: a PDF version of "Adol's Travel Guide" that came with the Silver Anniversary Edition of Celceta VITA as free DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
Xseed had their Celceta stream earlier today. Here's a link to the archive: link

Right off the bat they reveal that the game has an HDR setting that they're running in (hence the brightness).
At around the 17:00 minute mark they start teasing the new feature.
Boss Rush Time Attack and integrated Online Leaderboards
At 21:00 they show off the game's Additional Options menu so you can see what can be toggled in the PC version.
It goes by pretty fast so I took some snaps and put them together here, pretty sure I got all of them: link
Game has full keyboard and mouse support plus can be fully customized, and the touchscreen features that were in the VITA version can be emulated with any control scheme available (I think we knew this already though?).
At around 26:20 Tom talks about another bonus the PC version will get: a PDF version of "Adol's Travel Guide" that came with the Silver Anniversary Edition of Celceta VITA as free DLC.

Aw man, I'm ready to jump in.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing Ys Seven for the first time and I think I just stumbled upon one of my favorite moments in the franchise. More precisely, the first time Crossing Rage plays:

You've been captured. You've been TORTURED (oh my god?). You're shirtless. Adol, at his oldest yet, has his body full of scars (from his adventures or the torture). Much like a brief fight earlier, you're stripped away from the team mechanics. It's you. Alone. You versus a titano. It's been a long cutscene without any sort of saving. It's now or never. It's time to prove why Adol is the best.

<3

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
^Yup that's my favourite part in Ys Seven. I even decided NOT to use the healing potion given to you as I didn't use healing potions in previous Ys games outside of enemy drops.
Crossing Rage was my jam for some time.

So have XSEED announced a release date for Ys MoC on PC yet? I get the port is taking time and I trust them to deliver a good port, but I really want to play this in proper 60 FPS.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Still just "summer". They don't like to announce release dates until like 3 weeks before the game goes gold.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing Ys Seven for the first time and I think I just stumbled upon one of my favorite moments in the franchise. More precisely, the first time Crossing Rage plays:

You've been captured. You've been TORTURED (oh my god?). You're shirtless. Adol, at his oldest yet, has his body full of scars (from his adventures or the torture). Much like a brief fight earlier, you're stripped away from the team mechanics. It's you. Alone. You versus a titano. It's been a long cutscene without any sort of saving. It's now or never. It's time to prove why Adol is the best.

<3

This is literally the best moment in the franchise specially with how it ends and the reactions

Also here ya go.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Where is the cheapest place to get japan ver of ys 8 on ps4? Or even the chinese localization version?

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
Just got Ys VIII on Swtich. Really enjoying the gameplay but good God the graphics are an eye sore. I played the demo on ps4 and it wasnt exactly a looker, but it was at least decent. On the switch unfortunately the resolution and framerate is poor and inconsistent..oh well. Thankfully it's a fun game.

Question regarding locales. Is it all the same island type setting? Or do we find different environments later on?

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just got Ys VIII on Swtich. Really enjoying the gameplay but good God the graphics are an eye sore. I played the demo on ps4 and it wasnt exactly a looker, but it was at least decent. On the switch unfortunately the resolution and framerate is poor and inconsistent..oh well. Thankfully it's a fun game.

Question regarding locales. Is it all the same island type setting? Or do we find different environments later on?
Caves/swaps/plains/ruins/mountains

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I want to get Ys VIII on Switch but I'm curious if the GameStop copies are the Adventurer's Edition with the map and cards. Do you guys know?

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Since MoC got announced for PC I finally started on Ys Seven. Only just finished the 2nd boss, so I'm not very far. I have been using flash guarding since I knew about the mechanic from posts around here, but I'm kind of surprised the game hasn't mentioned it yet. Kind of feels like I'm cheating a bit lol. I chose nightmare and walked into the first boss with base equipment and level 2, and damn did it kick my ass. That was kind of expected though from my past experiences with Ys games. I leveled to 4 and synthesized some new weapons and it was a lot more manageable. That thing was so tanky at level 2...

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Flash guarding is never brought up in the game itself. The manual of the PSP version did briefly mention it and the button-config of the PC version allows you to find out about it, but that's about it. People noted it almost felt like a hidden feature in Seven.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the entirety of Ys Seven on PSP without flash guarding. I think I was near the end of the game the first time I read something about it, but didn't bother messing with it and beat the game without it.

Then I just disregarded it in Celceta. Even without using it that game was ridiculously easy on normal difficulty. Don't play Celceta on normal.

If I ever replay either of them I'll probably actually make use of it. Or play VIII, but at this rate I doubt I'll ever play it.