• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would non-Americans know about this? And why would you scoff at the opportunity to educate people about racial sensitivity?
Because it's often used as a way to say "they're not American so racism isn't the same or they may not be aware of it". I can confirm that the watermelon stereotype is alive and well in Canada, where the game was developed.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps it's the quality of the screenshots posted, but initially I didn't read the whole post, but just looked at the pictures, and I didn't see it. The skin color doesn't look drastically darker, but again, it could just be the quality of the screen shot which isn't that good IMO.

Are there other "watermelon" skins for the other characters? Is this a consistent motif for all of the characters? If so, then I would definitely say it's problematic. If not, I don't think it was an intentional decision.

There are other character skins that are based on food, and one more that's specifically watermelon themed for N. Oxide.

Edit: On second thought If it's the ONLY watermelon, then perhaps it WAS an intentional decision.

What is the fourth skin choice name/skin color? That one also seems a bit darker based on the avatar.

That one is called Safari Tawna and gives her a tiger-looking colour palette, with stripes and all.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Give Activision a break, they probably laid off the people responsible for making sure this didn't happen

/s

OP
OP
Twenty5Thousand
Nov 4, 2018
Holy fuck, is that leftover from the original?
Tawna wasn't playable in the original. Universal hated the character's design and forced Naughty Dog to either change it or stop using the character after Crash 1.

Tawna's only appearance, up until the trilogy, after that was in a DS party game.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Are you certain they changed her skin/fur color? I guess they did considering they changed her hair as well. Thats fucked up. The checkerboard also looks darker between the two images, unless it also undulates in the game.
Almost every skin in the game changes the character's base skin/fur tone or color at least a little (to the point where characters can often be green, blue, yellow purple or red). My guess here is that they just were going for a summer tan look, but the unfortunate implications are definitely still there.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of ya'll saying "Why would I know this?"
You're on the fucking internet. Use your fucking brain and google it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not American and I know about this and I have seen people from my country and other latin American countries use this to be offensive and make memes so it's not like they don't know.
Same here, not american and I know of that gross racist stereotype. That no one caught that on the team is baffling imo.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yikes.
I did not take notice of the darker skin tone as I just used base Tawna.
They should fix that skin up.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Does anyone else have a Watermelon skin? Is Tawna the only one that makes her have a darker shade?
Yes. Switch version also lacks fur which makes her look darker, but the fur is also a bit darker than normal on the big console versions.

Edit: Basically this

Okay so here's a higher quality image. I've blanked out my PSN Username, and that's the only edit I've done.

rBxbCYT.png

Also, I don't know if this is HDR Messing with me or not, but the actual skin looks a fair bit different than the one in the portrait.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's often used as a way to say "they're not American so racism isn't the same or they may not be aware of it". I can confirm that the watermelon stereotype is alive and well in Canada, where the game was developed.
Okay, but even if someone isn't aware of it, wouldn't we just explain it to them and correct the issue? I would think education is a good thing that can help us to work on the root issues.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not American and I know about this and I have seen people from my country and other latin American countries use this to be offensive and make memes so it's not like they don't know.
Memes are very heavily influenced by US culture and stereotypes. That doesn't mean there's a watermelon racist sterotype everywhere in the world or that other people in those countries are aware of what it is. I know about it pretty much because I read you guys around gaming forums with a mainly U.S. citizen userbase, but I'm dead sure no one else at home knows about it.

Also, completely unrelated to pretty much everything else said here, cold Watermelon is godly. Those heinous stereotypes fall short compared to me.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Why would non-Americans know about this? And why would you scoff at the opportunity to educate people about racial sensitivity?

It's not an American-only thing, certainly not in modern day. The notions that 1) any non-US people are completely sheltered and oblivious to such racist stereotypes 2) there aren't any non-Americans personally hurt by such racism and 3) they cannot understand and educate themselves on the matter is also pretty insulting.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The skin itself is fine but that name. Someone wasn't paying attention (or they were which would be even worse).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I had assumed before clicking that this would be some kind of Mauri thing. I don't think this is that?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay so here's a higher quality image. I've blanked out my PSN Username, and that's the only edit I've done.

rBxbCYT.png

Also, I don't know if this is HDR Messing with me or not, but the actual skin looks a fair bit different than the one in the portrait.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an American-only thing, certainly not in modern day. The notions that 1) any non-US people are completely sheltered and oblivious to such racist stereotypes 2) there aren't any non-Americans personally hurt by such racism and 3) they cannot understand and educate themselves on the matter is also pretty insulting.
I guess I'm just looking for clarification on if you think they overlooked this or if you think if it was a malicious joke. If they overlooked it then I'm not sure what the argument is. We all agree it was a very bad oversight that should have been caught. But if it was intentionally intending to be racist then we should be making a move to boycott the game (I haven't bought it yet and that would be enough to make me avoid it)

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

rBxbCYT.png

No, the selection icon is a lot darker than the actual in-game model's fur/skin. I noticed the same thing in the Switch version, and it's also similar with the Safari skin that you haven't unlocked yet.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Wow.

The name doesnt even make sense.
It does. It just doesn't show in that bad quality picture but the shirt looks like a watermelon, seeds and all. It's hard to spot even on this video, but on some close ups you can catch it.
Edit: Skip the vid, better sources were provided.

rBxbCYT.png

Well this shows it clearly, thanks for the pic!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a lot of comments are from people who haven't played the game. It's not nearly as bad in game, especially not on PS4/Xbox.

The Switch skin looks darker due to the lack of fur texture, but otherwise she looks almost the same just with different hair and clothing.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rBxbCYT.png

Honestly this just seems like a SUPER unfortunate coincidence. They could just change to name to Summer Tawnya or Fruit or whatever.
At the same time I can't really be too worked up over this, it's just a watermelon themed costume. On the list of shit thats wrong with black representation in video games this doesn't even rank on my radar.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

rBxbCYT.png

She is a lot darker without HDR. Or maybe your HDR is calibrated differently. Regardless, they clearly wanted her to have darker fur than her default.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Incoming fix where they give her rotten teeth and a green shirt and call her Limey Tawna.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
User banned (1 week): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Racial Stereotypes and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts in this Thread
Some of ya'll saying "Why would I know this?"
You're on the fucking internet. Use your fucking brain and google it.
This stereotype is 100% confined to american culture and its surroundings. Outside of america this is just not a thing. So if you aren't even aware of it, making the connection between black people and watermelon doesn't even cross your mind. The whole world doesn't revolve around the US.
Educate them and save this condescending attitude for something else.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This stereotype is 100% confined to american culture and its surroundings. Outside of america this is just not a thing. So if you aren't even aware of it, making the connection between black people and watermelon doesn't even cross your mind. The whole world doesn't revolve around the US.
This is the same tired excuses I see ever single time.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not my responsibility to educate someone who is likely a grown fucking adult.
Like I said, they're on the internet and going to a thread on why something is racist.
They're taking the time to type "I don't get it because I'm not american"
They can take the time to get their dumbass to google or bing and put "Watermelon and racism"

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Using a kart that makes her body a bit more visible, Switch screenshots:
D-0SgvWU4AAWzTU.jpg

D-0SgvQUEAAITkT.jpg

And for good measure, Watermelon Oxide just as a point of comparison:
D-0SgvNU0AAS19z.jpg

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Look it's really not hard to find this information. That wikipedia page posted earlier is literally the first result for "watermelon racially insensitive".