• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Well just so you know now, watermelon is a racist association people use with black people. It ties into post-Civil War America where watermelon was one if the crops freed slaves grew for themselves. White people took it and painted racist imagery, often with blackface of it being a lazy food black people ate.

And while I'm not Brazilian, I'm aware of the colorism issues that happen in your country.

Thnks for explaining.
We don't use the expression color-ism here, call black people colored is very racist in Brazil. We like to be called black.

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
To be honest, I hardly find the problem here...it can also be something they honestly thought it would be ok to put in the game. I miss early 2000s.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Playing earlier today, I was wondering how the skin was watermelon related at all. Would've expected a Green and Pink Tawna.

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody: "Dark skin + watermelon is racially insensitive imagery"

Guy who has the internet at his fingertips: "Hmm I could either do a 5 second google search for a quick answer, or I can have someone explain it for me..."

Somebody: *Does 5 second google search for info and posts it*

Guy who has the internet at his fingertips:"wow bro thx I wouldn't have known that without u"

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, I hardly find the problem here...it can also be something they honestly thought it would be ok to put in the game. I miss early 2000s.
Man fuck you and this garbage post

This thread is an embarrassment to ResetEra, letting this ignorant shit go by but still parading around how progressive this site is

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism; account still in junior phase
Nope, I miss players being players. Enjoying good games and making guides and whatnot. Nowadays everything gets political. Fewer people enjoy things, they only want "justice". There is a word in my language that describes this kind of behavior, but out of respect I shall restrain.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Not racial, but one of the skins for another character, Fake Crash, uses colours of the gay and trans pride flags.
He's pink with cyan gloves/shoes and white highlights (like the trans flag), and his pants are rainbow. Not sure if that was intentional, but it certainly is great!

The only problem with that is Fake Crash is depicted as a total goof. I mean, I personally love him, but it's a similar situation to the whole making LeFou ("the fool") from Beauty and the Beast implied gay in the remake, in that it's easy to read as the creators regarding LGBT people as laughable, well... fools. It's the feeling of being recognized but ultimately disrespected.

That said, I love Fake Crash. He's an icon and fully owns himself.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I miss players being players. Enjoying good games and making guides and whatnot. Nowadays everything gets political. Fewer people enjoy things, they only want "justice". There is a word in my language that describes this kind of behavior, but out of respect I shall restrain.
So you do miss racism then.

Bye.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only problem with that is Fake Crash is depicted as a total goof. I mean, I personally love him, but it's a similar situation to the whole making LeFou ("the fool") from Beauty and the Beast implied gay in the remake, in that it's easy to read as the creators regarding LGBT people as laughable, well... fools. It's the feeling of being recognized but ultimately disrespected.

To be fair, regular Crash is just as much of a goof as Trash.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Dreadful. Irish guy here, the stereotype is well known to me from watching cartoons and stuff growing up. I 35 though so I could understand why some teenagers in Europe not knowing about it. Hopefully this particular issue came from a place of ignorance and not maliciousness but either way shit needs to get sorted.

It is slightly amusing to see Americans finger wag about being ignorant of other countries and cultures given who you elected as president.

thatboydavey

Banned
Jun 26, 2019
Booted up the game and that particular skin looks auburn in tone to me, she's way lighter than the pic in the original post. On my tv anyway.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to add to the secondary conversation and say that as a black dude from Brazil's south region, I've never seen this specific stereotype here. I am aware that it exists in the US thanks to music and movies, but it's wrong to assume people in other countries know what you're talking about or have experienced, just because a good part of those countries' population is black.

On the main topic, hopefully the devs will change this skin soon.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Dreadful. Irish guy here, the stereotype is well known to me from watching cartoons and stuff growing up. I 35 though so I could understand why some teenagers in Europe not knowing about it. Hopefully this particular issue came from a place of ignorance and not maliciousness but either way shit needs to get sorted.

It is slightly amusing to see Americans finger wag about being ignorant of other countries and cultures given who you elected as president.

Do you really think the people (not all American btw) who have issue with this voted for 45? How does that even equate?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thnks for explaining.
We don't use the expression color-ism here, call black people colored is very racist in Brazil. We like to be called black.
Colorism is not the same as calling someone colored. Colorism is when people favor people with whiter skin(even if they are PoC) to darker ones. This is a thing in Brazil and latin american countries as mostly of actors, people on magazines, etc are white or white passing.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Why watermelon? Is there some story/thematic thing to do with watermelon? Cause looking at her outfit there's nothing that would indicate calling her watermelon.

Shits blatantly racist. Disgusting

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I sorta disagree.
LeFou is not only a fool in a crowd of non-fools, but he's also depicted as being extremely flamboyant. Fake Crash may be a goof, but in the context of the other characters of the series, not significantly more so than Crash or Tiny or the likes, and he's also not shown as effeminate or camp.

Why watermelon? Is there some story/thematic thing to do with watermelon? Cause looking at her outfit there's nothing that would indicate calling her watermelon.

Shits blatantly racist. Disgusting

Pink and green clothes, with the pink shirt having black dots (like watermelon seeds) is "absolutely nothing" that you would consider to be potentially relating to watermelon in any shape or form?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

man, people who want justice are jerks

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

How do you feel about ethics in videogame journalism?

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
The skin is named Watermelon because of the shirt. I can't tie it to America's racial history, because I don't know if Tawna is supposed to be "black".

Since it is causing some controversy, it should be patched out.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Twenty5Thousand I think it would help to update the OP with the clearer screens posted in this thread:

Okay so here's a higher quality image. I've blanked out my PSN Username, and that's the only edit I've done.

rBxbCYT.png

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
So in light of the picture where she doesn't look like her skin was darkened is someone trying to troll with the original picture?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a difference between explaining stuff like...how a software works or how to cook something and explaining why something is racist/homophobic/sexist, people can get tired of the later.
Not when it is needed for context. Simply being a dick to someone genuinely asking versus someone who is clearly trolling to poke at the "but how could thst possibly be racist dur" is a fine line sure, but it still doesn't need the attitude. Just explain and move on. Hell here in Australia that racist connotation is unheard of, and only through being exposed to American culture on the internet was I even able to find out about it.

Regardless of the shitty attitudes of some to genuine questions, it's fucking racist. You can't just simply say watermelon person with the darker tone, or even the inherently African/African-American like name and it doesn't take a genuis HR person to know that in developing the game. Watermelon is typically used to describe inanimate objects or clothing, but the distinction would be in the naming convention to seperate it from the person or character. Here we don't have that and it needs to be fixed.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Why would non-Americans know about this? And why would you scoff at the opportunity to educate people about racial sensitivity?
I'm irish and never heard about this. I'd imagine the vast majority of young Irish don't either. And why would we unless you have an interest in American history and culture. We didn't have the same issues here because we were the slaves ourselves under British rule.
Somebody: "Dark skin + watermelon is racially insensitive imagery"

Guy who has the internet at his fingertips: "Hmm I could either do a 5 second google search for a quick answer, or I can have someone explain it for me..."

Somebody: *Does 5 second google search for info and posts it*

Guy who has the internet at his fingertips:"wow bro thx I wouldn't have known that without u"
That's Internet forums for you. They have programmed many of us to be lazy.

Dec 15, 2017
I know it's tough to understand for this forum at times but the USA is not the only market for videogames. So I don't know why some users try to dismiss the genuine attempts of folks that don't have the obligation to be aware of the race issues USA has.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If you get why it's annoying (to say the least) Then why didn't you do a quick 60 second Google search before posting in this thread ?
I hate being dragged back into this thread. I already knew about this stereotype, wanna know how? By reading about it from people having explained it here before. Ok, bye.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about American racism imagery and Brazil got me googling, and I bumped into some stuff about "Confederados" and the like. Apparently Emperor Dom Pedro II recruited southern slaveowners after they lost the American Civil War because he wanted to have a cotton export and slavery was still legal in Brazil?

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Seems like an oversight to me. Easy fix, change the name and/or make some tweaks to the costume.

It's a little startling how many people are reading this as a deliberate display of racism. I'm not from the US though, so maybe I'm the odd one out.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like an oversight to me. Easy fix, change the name and/or make some tweaks to the costume.

It's a little startling how many people are reading this as a deliberate display of racism. I'm not from the US though, so maybe I'm the odd one out.

I don't really see another reading. It it's anything else it's an enormous coincidence. Even that unfortunate coincidence would be avoided by hiring more than 0 black people.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about American racism imagery and Brazil got me googling, and I bumped into some stuff about "Confederados" and the like. Apparently Emperor Dom Pedro II recruited southern slaveowners after they lost the American Civil War because he wanted to have a cotton export and slavery was still legal in Brazil?
Oh boy, it's a whole thing.

Basically "it's about culture and we are not racists, but we also like what our ancestors did". So yeah...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't really see another reading. It it's anything else it's an enormous coincidence. Even that unfortunate coincidence would be avoided by hiring more than 0 black people.

Is it really an enormous coincidence though? Assuming you start with the outfit (which is where the "watermelon" part comes from), there's only a certain number of fur tones that will look good in combination. Tawna by default is orange, so you mess around until you hit a brown tone that looks good.

I could easily see that being how it went down. But like I say, I'm not from the US, so I'm not as in tune with the social/political climate over there.