• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 4, 2018
Tawna and the Nitro Squad are characters that were introduced in the latest content update for the game. Each character has a set of skins and one of the ones for Tawna is pretty insensitive in my opinion. One of her skins changes the fur color of Tawna to a much darker tone and is called Watermelon Tawna

Default:
tT8EFMg.jpg

Watermelon Skin:
5G6zcN0.jpg

Higher Quality Image
Okay so here's a higher quality image. I've blanked out my PSN Username, and that's the only edit I've done.

rBxbCYT.png

Also, I don't know if this is HDR Messing with me or not, but the actual skin looks a fair bit different than the one in the portrait.

Frankly I find this to be pretty upsetting and I hope this was something done out of ignorance. I hope bringing this to the developer's attention will lead to change. Personally I would try to get rid of the watermelon motif and name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Tawna and the Nitro Squad are characters that were introduced in the latest content update for the game. Each character has a set of skins and one of the ones for Tawna is pretty insensitive in my opinion. One of her skins changes the fur color of Tawna to a much darker tone and is called Watermelon Tawna

Default:
tT8EFMg.jpg

Watermelon Skin:
5G6zcN0.jpg

Frankly I find this to be pretty upsetting and I hope this was something done out of ignorance. I hope bringing this to the developer's attention will lead to change. Personally I would try to get rid of the watermelon motif and name.
Yeah I can see why, I think if they didnt make the skin colour darker then I'd be okay but yeah, i dont know who approved that choice.

Oudone79

Banned
Jun 21, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Drive-By Trolling Over Race; Previous Ban for Dismissive Commentary; Persistent Pattern of Similar Behavior; Account in Junior Phase
I thought It was fur.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps it's the quality of the screenshots posted, but initially I didn't read the whole post, but just looked at the pictures, and I didn't see it. The skin color doesn't look drastically darker, but again, it could just be the quality of the screen shot which isn't that good IMO.

Are there other "watermelon" skins for the other characters? Is this a consistent motif for all of the characters? If so, then I would definitely say it's problematic. If not, I don't think it was an intentional decision.

Edit: On second thought If it's the ONLY watermelon, then perhaps it WAS an intentional decision.

What is the fourth skin choice name/skin color? That one also seems a bit darker based on the avatar.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Wow, that's horrible. Why would you name it that?

Because her shirt looks like the inside of a watermelon (hard to see with how low-rez that pic is)

Wether that's an unfortunate coincidence or an offensive joke, who knows, but i guess it's better if they change it. They could swasp the water melon motif with one of her other skins.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at it like nothing was wrong.

Then I saw the name and what the fuck

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, what a whirlwind of emotion I just went through.

"Oh a dark skinned skin for Tawna, that's actually pretty coo- FUCK ME RUNNING!"

Jesus christ you guys...

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking that doesn't look so bad until I read the name . Holly shit WTF were they thinking!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Knowing the kind of people that work at Beenox I really trust they weren't Ill intentioned, but that's pretty bad lol. Hopefully they'll patch it

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Because her shirt looks like the inside of a watermelon (hard to see with how low-rez that pic is)

Wether that's an unfortunate coincidence or an offensive joke, who knows, but i guess it's better if they change it. They could swasp the water melon motif with one of her other skins.

Oh. I see now. The low res is not helping that. Just looked like a regular pink shirt to me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate. Watermelon I would presume refers to the color of her clothing, but it's too bad that no one caught the issue at any point. Hopefully they change it quickly.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Perhaps it's the quality of the screenshots posted, but initially I didn't read the whole post, but just looked at the pictures, and I didn't see it. The skin color doesn't look drastically darker, but again, it could just be the quality of the screen shot which isn't that good IMO.

Are there other "watermelon" skins for the other characters? Is this a consistent motif for all of the characters? If so, then I would definitely say it's problematic. If not, I don't think it was an intentional decision.

Edit: On second thought If it's the ONLY watermelon, then perhaps it WAS an intentional decision.

What is the fourth skin choice name/skin color? That one also seems a bit darker based on the avatar.
Oxide has a Watermelon skin that basically makes him green and pink

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't know what I was expecting - certainly not something this glaring - but holy shit. How could nobody flag that?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Fourth Skin is Safari, it gives her a green shirt and a tiger like pattern for her fur.

The name is Watermelon because her shirt is a Watermelon pattern. They probably change that name ASAP though.

Third Skin is simply called White. Similar naming probably could be done for the second skin.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I feel dumb for missing the implications earlier. I usually race with that skin because I like how the colors work together, but now I'll feel bad if I do. I hope they change it.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
This is why companies need more diverse work forces(and to also listen to their employees too), so you won't have screw ups like this.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Are you certain they changed her skin/fur color? I guess they did considering they changed her hair as well. Thats fucked up. The checkerboard also looks darker between the two images, unless it also undulates in the game.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think that the title should be changed to reflect this is about the name of the skin and not the skin itself.

On topic: god damn, they need to change this ASAP.