• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
In an unsurprising turn of events, they directly went with what they said before launch and will add a way to purchase Wumpa Coins when the next Grand Prix starts.

As always, the Pit Stop will be stocked with new and returning characters and cosmetic items, which players can unlock using Wumpa Coins*. With all this content available, there will also now be a way for players to fast-track their Wumpa Coin collection if they like. Starting in early August, players will have the option to purchase Wumpa Coin bundles from their game console stores to supplement the Coins they earn by playing. This option won't change the game's core mechanics – players will still earn Wumpa Coins by playing the game in any mode, just as before. They will just able to purchase additional coins if they choose.
Source

Even if it was obvious with Activision behind, it's still very disappointing considering how many already thought the game was grindy. They obviously had to monetize the game somehow, but they should've been transparent with this.

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately i guessed this would happen. As long as people keep buying them Activision will keep pushing them.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I saw that in-game coin shop with Fortnite-esque prices I knew this was gonna happen, despite Activision claiming it won't be the case. Good thing I didn't bother playing beyond the single player.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
And this is after they nerfed Wumpa coin payouts with the last patch. Fucking Activision.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Absolutely embarrassing.

They were aware that the game was too grindy after making sure to let it be known that the game has no microtransactions, only to add them a month and a half after launch.

Complete crap.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A month of goodwill I guess.
This will only be an issue if they get rid of Wumpa Time, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Not shocking and I was waiting to buy a copy for myself because I was expecting this. I played it with a friend on his PS4 and it would have been a great remake if not for activision.

PS1 copy for life. At least there I can play it without any of this shit and I also have it on the Vita.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This option won't change the game's core mechanics – players will still earn Wumpa Coins by playing the game in any mode, just as before. They will just able to purchase additional coins if they choose.
Who are they fooling?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I like how Activision adds their most blatant shitty monetization after the game launches so they can still mop up the release day sales and glowing review scores.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely not surprised, but if the in game payout isn't affected much again, I feel like it'll be as much a problem as buying PvZ GW coins (were you could either buy enough to get a sticker pack, or earn the same amount after 2 matches, so it was entirely pointless).

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Activision being what it is, they have done it before and will do it again

Nah, they did. First week or so you'd get 400-600 coins per race. Now you only get that for the first 30 minutes at weekends with x7 bonus.

not really there have been some slight changes but you can still get around the same amount of coins per day now as you could on day one

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the Wumpa Time/payouts don't get touched further.
Unlocking everything is a 2 month worth of regular (not really grind) play.

We knew in our hearts they were coming, especially with that launch price.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nah, they did. First week or so you'd get 400-600 coins per race. Now you only get that for the first 30 minutes at weekends with x7 bonus.
No, on the first week nobody had figured the bonuses out so there was a lot of confusing info. The bonus was always x10 in the weekends and x5 regularly

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Fair enough. They are adding tracks for free so having microtransactions for cosmetics seems fair game. I'm actually shocked they didn't have them day 1.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't a major complaint for this game that it is really, really grindy? Well it makes sense now I guess. Leave then out for reviews and stealth patch them in because that's what the whole game was designed around.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is SOOOO scummy when you look at it in hindsight btw, they basically fooled the reviewers, got their scores and then introduced the MTX stuff.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who are they fooling?

That may be technically accurate - the Wumpa coin payout is already fairly grindy other than a half-hour-ish a day on weekends. People were just giving it a pass on the basis that it was just meant to lengthen playtime rather than get you to pay since they promised no microtransactions.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
this is SOOOO scummy when you look at it in hindsight btw, they basically fooled the reviewers, got their scores and then introduced the MTX stuff.
They've been doing this for years with COD and the monetization there is some of the worst in the industry.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
To Activision:
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
It always felt weird with how much of a chore it was to get Wumpa Coins in this game, now we know why.

As long as they don't lessen Wumpa Coin payout again or make items more expensive in the Pit Stop (I'm afraid this might be the case for when they add in content that people didn't get in previous Grand Prix(s)), I don't care. I do wish that this system, as well as that of the Grand Prix Nitro, were much less tedious to deal with.

and to think people were asking for this garbage to come to mario kart...

The criticisms in your thread were all valid. It stinks that so many games either want you to stay constantly dedicated to them these days, or if you can't provide that effort, to catch up through mechanisms like microtransactions.

Oct 27, 2017
Hate this trend of letting a game come out to good will and no micro transactions publicized, only to release them later so that it is slid under the radar.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
fryshocked.gif

It was too grindy in the first place for me, just unlocked Bronze last time as I can only play a tiny bit outside of an online connection.

Oct 27, 2017

This is honestly why I hate the new "digital format/patch system" for games nowadays. Games can come out, get good reviews, and then proceed to become worse through patches. If current Street Fighter V's fight money availability was what was in place when the game originally came out, I guarantee you the scores would've been lower.