• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Oh my, it will be very hard to wait... what to do? T_T
I'm just going to copy/paste a comment I posted earlier:

"Buy the digital version and then the physical version. It's worth every penny. Studio MDHR deserves all the success. They did a tremendous job with this game... art style, graphics, animation, soundtrack, game play, amount of content... everything is top notch (the soundtrack, wow). "

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is on the fence like I initially was in regards to "a nails 2D shooter boss rush game", trust me, it's a lot more manageable and enjoyable than you might think.
I don't consider myself good at that sub genre of 2D action, but I got through this on the standard difficulty and it was a blast.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped on PC around some dragon boss, but have been meaning to get back to it. Wondering if I should start over on Switch or keep playing on Steam. It's telling that I'm considering starting over so that I can play this handheld on Switch and rage while laying in bed. LOL

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
personally i can't wait for a physical copy of this and will buy digitally, but damn it's gonna be tempting to double dip when it comes.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me very happy! I have been salivating for Cuphead since it was announced, but I don't have an Xbox one, and my PC is shit.

And it will get a physical release, too! This has made my day.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
60fps? Sorry if you've already answered this.

Heck yeah, 60fps. It's functionally identical to the Xbox One version.

I stopped on PC around some dragon boss, but have been meaning to get back to it. Wondering if I should start over on Switch or keep playing on Steam. It's telling that I'm considering starting over so that I can play this handheld on Switch and rage while laying in bed. LOL

If you're strugglin', then the PC version is open to trainers and Cheat Engine. Switch won't have those options.

Hot tip - Dragon boss is easier if you use the Lobber weapon.

W4cko

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Hmmm what to do? I probably gonna wait for x cloud and gamepass. So I save a couple of bucks

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Already have this on Xbox One, but will definitely get the Switch version when a physical release comes out.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Would not want on that face button dpad

But if you haven't played this, buy. One of the best 2D games of all time. Better than Tropical Freeze even.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered!
Already have it on my Xbox1, but playing this game on a handheld should be awesome.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is on the fence like I initially was in regards to "a nails 2D shooter boss rush game", trust me, it's a lot more manageable and enjoyable than you might think.
I don't consider myself good at that sub genre of 2D action, but I got through this on the standard difficulty and it was a blast.
yeah, from the few hours i played, the difficulty is nothing unmanageable. it's not the frustrating kind, cuz you can feel you're getting better with each attempt, and feels really good when you progress.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I feel so happy about this. It was on my top 3 of 2017 games, even if I only played it when I was at a friends house I fell in love with it, but did not own an xbox.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Now, care to explain why do we have to wait this long? This is not a human thing to do!

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I love this trailer,
It truly is rich
Now we can play on-the-go
since Cuphead's coming to Switch!

Shiptari

Oct 2, 2018
Amazing trailer. Cuphead is going to be one of the best-selling video games on the Nintendo Switch.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Hey Teeth,

Was the process easy? Like I know you can't share much, but was it enjoyable? Working with Both sides of the spectrum, Xbox and Nintendo :)

I didn't want to skip over this...

There are many levels to this question: On the business side, i can't talk about that at all, but I'm sure you understand. I can say that Microsoft has legitimately, no PR fakeness, been an amazing partner. Chris Charla is awesome, Phil is awesome, everyone over at MS is awesome. This would not have happened without them.

Anyone that we've worked with on the Nintendo side has been great too. You can tell that they are really focused on making sure things go smoothly for fans.

The actual technical process of getting Cuphead on a Switch was more involved. We had to migrate the game over to a newer version of Unity, which took work. We were also in the process of adding all this HOT NEW CONTENT at the same time so it took a bit longer than expected. We were also doing the full localization into the 10 new languages and that is way scarier and more complex than people realize. Localization is no joke. The scariest thing is that there was no way for us to check whether the translations were any good. We saw what happened with Darkest Dungeon and we realized that we didn't want that happening. So we went all out. We outsourced premium localizations to different companies then paid other companies to do reviews of those localizations, then went over them again based on those reviews. We got professional Japanese manga calligraphers to do custom calligraphy for the Boss and Level title cards (as well as Chinese and Korean calligraphers too)...all based on the styles that existed from the 30s.

Localizing Cuphead is no joke. There's not much dialogue, but the dialogue that exists is all puns, rhymes, idioms, and plays on words. If you directly translate a pun, it makes no sense in other languages, which meant custom new stuff had to be written for each language. It's a scary thing; Cuphead has a very specific tone, and we were relying on our localizers to capture that for their native cultures.

And then the fonts....so much of Cuphead relies on the fonts being a certain size, that we had to hand check literally every instance of every word throughout the game and make it fit properly within the context.

But all in all, the port to Switch reaped benefits on other platforms (we shaved almost 7GB off the file size and slashed load times by nearly half in some instances) and we wanted to insure everyone gets a smooth 60fps experience.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I have it on xbox... any chance this is coming to PS4? I have arcade sticks that would be fun to use this with.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Great news! I'll absolutely double dip! Switch is my main indie machine now, so unfortunately I didn't play the Steam version as much as I should.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
My joycons are ready to be thrown at the wall because of the rage I'm probably going to experience while playing the difficult levels of Cuphead. Hell yes