• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
cuphead.jpg

img_2527.jpg

"Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by cartoons of the 1930s, the visuals and audio are painstakingly created with the same techniques of the era, i.e. traditional hand drawn cel animation, watercolor backgrounds, and original jazz recordings.

Play as Cuphead or Mugman (in single player or local co-op) as you traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful super moves, and discover hidden secrets while you try to pay your debt back to the devil!"

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Windows 10, Steam
Release Date: April 18, 2019 (Nintendo Switch), September 29, 2017 (Xbox One, Windows)
Price: $19.99
Publisher/Developer: StudioMDHR Entertainment | Website
Size ~ 3.3GB
Number of Players: 2
Special Thanks to Microsoft for encouraging Studio MDHR to bring it to Nintendo Switch.

f2KwWu2.png

LEALlui.png

Metacritic - 86
OpenCritic - 88

QFvLelA.png

So this is a boss rush game, right?
The first iteration was solely a boss rush game. Years of delays gave opportunity to add in a slew of platforming levels. The developers consider the game to be roughly 75% bosses and 25% platforming levels.

How about multiplayer; can I use the interwebs?
Afraid not. The internet wasn't a thing back in the 1930's, so you're going to have to stick with two cups on one screen for local co-op goodness. The developers have hinted at online support post release though!

The weird color separation hurts my eyes!
Fear not there's a chromatic aberration slider that should allow you to turn it all the way off, or blast it up to 11.

Is this the Dark Souls of...
Please stop right there. Sure yup, its considered a tough one and there's that popular journalist video doing the rounds but the developers coin it "tough but fair". Cuphead has its roots in classic arcade-style games, games that really made you earn success. Also to get past that first jump in the tutorial, try jumping off the rock and dashing!

Does this game have one of those horrible streaming policies?
It sure does! But it's not one of those restrictive and odd ones. You can read it in full here, but essentially go wild and share the beauty of Cuphead with everyone and anyone.

c0lKl6L.png

Bonus:
NsHkMmp.png
=

All Credit goes to Wozzer. He was the one who originally made the Xbox One thread.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing game. Switch owners are in for a treat.

Is there any word yet if the achievements will be retroactive once the Xbox Live integration is added? Either way, got it pre-ordered.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the review copy with a friend on tabletop mode and it looked pretty good, although the process of setting up coop required to resync the controllers which was kinda annoying since Cuphead is supposed to be a pick up and jump in kind of game

Oct 25, 2017
I see platforms.

I see jumping.

Their finger guns seem to be the main attack though?

Pretend I haven't done any other research, is this similar to older shoot-em-up games? I don't want to exactly name Contra, but I get a strong vibe all the same.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I see platforms.

I see jumping.

Pretend I haven't done any other research, is this similar to older shoot-em-up games? I don't want to exactly name Contra, but I get a strong vibe all the same.

Maybe a tiny bit like Contra, but it's more of a boss rush game. There are some non-boss levels, but they're the exception. I would say it's about three boss stages for every one non-boss stage?

You can acquire new weapons as you progress through it.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in the animated cutscenes since it looks like they have less frames than the idles or attack animations from the game which is understable but looks more like anime than an old cartoon

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This is one of my favorite games in recent years and I'm definitely double dipping on Switch. Looking forward to playing through it again and I'm also excited for the upcoming DLC.
I see platforms.

I see jumping.

Ever play Alien Soldier? This is kinda like a combination of Contra and Alien Soldier.
I'm interested in the animated cutscenes since it looks like they have less frames than the idles or attack animations from the game which is understable but looks more like anime than an old cartoon
Uh, what? Are you familiar with Max Fleischer cartoons? Cuphead is directly inspired by that rubber hose, bobbing style.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Maybe a tiny bit like Contra, but it's more of a boss rush game. There are some non-boss levels, but they're the exception. I would say it's about three boss stages for every one non-boss stage?

You can acquire new weapons as you progress through it.
There's 20 bosses and 5 non-boss levels. But those 5 levels are extremely short and feel like filler.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Too much to play on my Switch right now. Still playing the glorious Yoshi's Crafted World. Joker in Smash on Wednesday. Cuphead on Thursday. Nintendo Labo VR arrives at my doorstep on Friday. TOO MANY GAMES.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm ready to go. For the first time.

Expecting a beatdown, but this looks like my kind of hard. I guess we'll find out!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. At a time in my life where I'm sad often, I'm thankful a game like Cuphead can bring me (and others) a bit of joy. I'm excited to play it again and I hope many new players enjoy it as much as I have.

Apr 21, 2018
I've already pre-loaded. Can't freaking wait. I was watching this game's development for years and just never had an Xbox. The idea of having this on a portable is just, whew, awesome.

Apr 8, 2018
I'm all pre-loaded and ready to go! I'm ready to die many more times lol.

And for all those playing for the first time, have fun! You're in for a treat!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games I've ever played. At a time in my life where I'm sad often, I'm thankful a game like Cuphead can bring me (and others) a bit of joy. I'm excited to play it again and I hope many new players enjoy it as much as I have.
You never struck me as a person who's feeling down. I don't want anyone to feel unhappy, but it's an extra bummer when it's someone super-nice like you.

I hope you feel better soon, man. Maybe try Yoshi's Crafted World soon if you haven't already, that game is full of good vibes.

As for me, I'm eager to try Cuphead this Thursday, and Joker today, and Labo VR this weekend. So much fun stuff.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I see platforms.

I see jumping.

The basic gameplay is a lot like Contra, but it's mostly boss fights. There's only 6 run and gun levels. There's also some Gradius/Parodius-like shoot 'em up levels. It's very much inspired by games like Contra and Metal Slug. The campaign is kind of like Hard Corps: Uprising's Rising Mode, if you've ever played that. It also controls a lot like Hard Corps: Uprising.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Preloaded and ready to get my ass kicked again.
Also prepared for that physical Switch copy sometime in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
This was always the dream Switch port I never thought would happen, and probably the longest that an icon for a preloaded game has taunted me on the home screen. I hedged on the PC release to hold out for this remote possibility, and I'm still a little shocked it paid off.

Tight schedule this week. Joker's Classic Mode and the newly added Spirits on Wednesday, hopefully manageable in one sitting, then this. Time to find out if I'm smarter than a pigeon.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This was always the dream Switch port I never thought would happen, and probably the longest that an icon for a preloaded game has taunted me on the home screen. I hedged on the PC release to hold out for this remote possibility, and I'm still a little shocked it paid off.

Tight schedule this week. Joker's Classic Mode and the newly added Spirits on Wednesday, hopefully manageable in one sitting, then this. Time to find out if I'm smarter than a pigeon.
I often feel like I have a Ph.D in something by the time I'm done reading your amazingly thoughtful posts (yes, even if you didn't like Crafted World as much as me, lol), so I'd hazard to guess you're smarter than those birds that poop all over my car

I'm going to be attempting to follow basic instructions assembling Labo VR this weekend, I imagine I'm the one who's going to feel dumber than a pigeon!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You never struck me as a person who's feeling down. I don't want anyone to feel unhappy, but it's an extra bummer when it's someone super-nice like you.

I hope you feel better soon, man. Maybe try Yoshi's Crafted World soon if you haven't already, that game is full of good vibes.

As for me, I'm eager to try Cuphead this Thursday, and Joker today, and Labo VR this weekend. So much fun stuff.

Thanks for the very kind words. I actually just purchased Yoshi a few days ago! Looking forward to playing it soon.

Oct 25, 2017
The basic gameplay is a lot like Contra, but it's mostly boss fights. There's only 6 run and gun levels. There's also some Gradius/Parodius-like shoot 'em up levels. It's very much inspired by games like Contra and Metal Slug. The campaign is kind of like Hard Corps: Uprising's Rising Mode, if you've ever played that. It also controls a lot like Hard Corps: Uprising.

Yep, which is why I tried to ask the question without outright naming another game. But the people who helped me out understood well enough. Cheers.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
This was the game that make me buy an Elgato HD60 to capture/stream my failures on this game... xD...

Thursday can't come soon enough... xD

Oct 25, 2017
I often feel like I have a Ph.D in something by the time I'm done reading your amazingly thoughtful posts (yes, even if you didn't like Crafted World as much as me, lol), so I'd hazard to guess you're smarter than those birds that poop all over my car

Aw, thanks. I anticipate I'll have a thing or two to say, because if there are two things in the world I may be more unnecessarily loquacious about than video games, they might just be early animation and traditional jazz. (Not quite as fluent in the 1930s Tex Avery look that informs so much of Cuphead's visual design as in the later Warner cartoons, mind you, but who's keeping score?) Which probably doesn't shed any light on how on earth I managed to hold off on this game on PC for so long, but I survived the interminable wait for Hollow Knight and I'm not too far away from surviving this.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, thanks. I anticipate I'll have a thing or two to say, because if there are two things in the world I may be more unnecessarily loquacious about than video games, they might just be early animation and traditional jazz. (Not quite as fluent in the 1930s Tex Avery look that informs so much of Cuphead's visual design as in the later Warner cartoons, mind you, but who's keeping score?) Which probably doesn't shed any light on how on earth I managed to hold off on this game on PC for so long, but I survived the interminable wait for Hollow Knight and I'm not too far away from surviving this.
I've been in the same boat as you, handsomely rewarded at long last with Hollow Knight and Cuphead on my favorite system and favorite way to play. Now eagerly awaiting Ori and the Blind Forest to get the same treatment...

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I S ranked everything on Xbox back in 2017 and I'm ready to do it again on Switch; probably my favorite game since Spelunky. Very excited more people get to play it