• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
You are basically downloading the whole game again. Apparently, the file size was reduced from 11 GB (original game) to 3 GB (same as the Switch version). They used a new technique in Unity to store the sprites so the game is more efficient.

Loading times are more efficient now, and they added new languages (it was originally English only), and they added animated story sequences (they used to be still images). The Xbox/PC version is basically the same as the Switch version now.
whoa for real? Damn that sounds so good for a 2 year old game:D

Might have to have another go to see these story bits.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Without exaggeration, how in the fucking world have I not played this before now?

Beat 2 bosses on the second island and I am floored. Incredible game.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
i try my best. But when there is the tiger Symbol i just think about how i will survive that.

There is no trick to this, wait for the balls to be at their highest point to dodge them. It's a matter of coordination and luck. (Yes, luck, you can beat the boss without him "spawning" this tiger phase)

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
holy fuck this game just blows me away.

The art, animation, and music are just stellar.

This game is seriously something special.

When I was a kid I used to watch super old cartoons like Little Lulu, OG Popeye, various shorts like the lady who lived in a shoe, the magpies, felix the cat, and various old Disney animations and man does this game knock it out of the park. What an utter treat this is!

This is exactly how I feel.
Graphically, nothing like this has been achieved before. It's in a class of its own, and I truly hope we see more and more from Studio MDHR in the future.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Teeth the game is amazing, thank you for bringing it to the Switch.

Just a small nitpick so far, I remapped my dash to A and when I try to talk to Kettle or King Dice I just dash. I need to keep mashing the button for the talk prompt to register.

The game is blowing me away so far!

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone else who is playing it for the first time enjoys it as much as I have. It is my Game of the Generation along with Celeste.

I'll go back and do Hard Mode when I re-buy it on Switch.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Man this is damn hard. I've been eyeballing this game on xbox/PC for 2 years, now it's on Switch and I'm wavering between buying it now and waiting on the physical copy. Dammit....

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever allow you to finish the game on simple mode or is the ending still licked behind normal? I've never played it before but don't want to spend money on something im unlikely to finish

cluk

May 22, 2018
Putting fire on a trigger is critical. I just hold it down the majority of a fight. Couldn't imagine doing that with a face button.

dmgdbug

Oct 27, 2017
how did they determine the default controls? the game is impossible unless shoot and dash are on triggers

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in love with hard modes usually, but damn the Expert mode in Cuphead change the pace drastically.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is just as incredible as it ever was. I never got too far on the Xbox One version, so I'll attempt to make up for it here. Really amazed at this port.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Putting fire on a trigger is critical. I just hold it down the majority of a fight. Couldn't imagine doing that with a face button.
how did they determine the default controls? the game is impossible unless shoot and dash are on triggers
You guys are crazy. Shooting with the triggers? Get out of here. I guess you guys are mainly FPS gamers.

Shooting with the face buttons has been the norm for sidescrollers since the NES/SNES era.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope everyone else who is playing it for the first time enjoys it as much as I have. It is my Game of the Generation along with Celeste.

I'll go back and do Hard Mode when I re-buy it on Switch.

Celeste is my current GotG. How much harder/less accessible is this? I loved the ability to instant retry.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste is my current GotG. How much harder/less accessible is this? I loved the ability to instant retry.
The difficulty is very similar actually. Just like Celeste, if you go back to the early fights after beating the game they seem like a breeze in comparison. It also has the same quick reset feel to it and you can feel your progression on each boss/stage.

By the nature of the game, you will invest more time in each attempt than the quick deaths of Celeste. So you may get 4 minutes into a fight before you die/reset.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
How is everyone finding the load times? I saw the comparison video but I'm wondering how it is when you're playing. Is it noticable or bothersome?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Never did finish it on PC, and loadtimes concerned me, but I purchased this morning on Switch and really am amazed at how accurate it feels and looks. Also, the loadtimes are very acceptable. Hourglass guy seems to only jump 4 cycles by my count when he shows up (~5-7 seconds total if I were to guess).

I haven't seen any loads above 10 seconds, not even close. Maybe a factor of the speedy mSD card in my system?

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded this after work yesterday. Holy hell it's just such a tightly designed and fun game. I know I'm going to struggle big time to get through this but I actually don't even mind repeating the same boss or gun and run level.

I'm not very far but I'm at Helda. I haven't gotten to her last phase yet but I also haven't been using the shrink/speed boost to get out of tight spots. Gonna try that tonight.

nuttyevans

Nov 8, 2017

It's a quick load to get back in but if you die during a boss fight you're back to the start. It's tough but with enough patience even I can get through it...and I'm rubbish lol

I'm referring to the Xbox version but I'd imagine Switch is exactly the same.

cluk

May 22, 2018
The run n gun in the tree is TOUGH. Harder than any boss fight so far, at least for me.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know which comparison you saw, but one of the them was based on an old build.

It's good, no problems at all.
I think it was the GameXplain one. It wasn't bad or anything, but I'm mostly interested in the load times after you die, since I am terrible at the game and will do a lot of that. I'm glad to hear it's not an issue.

Apr 19, 2018
Incredible port through and through, but yeah, the Joycon's diagonal drift definitely takes some getting used to. The game plays like a dream on a Pro Controller.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to try this game I just don't have room in my budget. They are developing DLC, correct? Maybe I will just wait for that whenever it hits.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I am having the HARDEST time deciding between Cuphead and Dragon's Dogma. I want both, but can only afford one, and it's tearing me apart. I'll get both eventually for sure, I just don't know what I want to play in the imminent weeks ahead.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
The run n gun in the tree is TOUGH. Harder than any boss fight so far, at least for me.
Good to hear that im not the only one. It was really tough.

I am having the HARDEST time deciding between Cuphead and Dragon's Dogma. I want both, but can only afford one, and it's tearing me apart. I'll get both eventually for sure, I just don't know what I want to play in the imminent weeks ahead.
Cuphead i guess.
You have no choice as u have a deal with the devil so before u can play anything else, u have to pay your debts..

Last edited:

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The slot machine is straigt out of hell. How many stages does it have. 4 and still not beaten

Yeah.

I beat it this morning with a sliver of health left. The spinning deals with the bouncing ball got me every time.

Really difficult game - but this game owns. Having a lot of fun with it, despite sucking.

Edit: Reading through the last few pages, it turns out I should have been dodging. Shit, that probably would've made this a lot easier.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Cuphead has the best soundtrack of the decade (it's not even close), and easily one of the top 5 best video game soundtracks of all time.

The amount of musical knowledge, authenticity, and pure talent that went in to composing and producing this soundtrack is unheard of in video games. It should be burned into history as one of the most impressive feats of musical composition in a video game ever.

It's an absolute shame that Kristofer Maddigan didn't win the Juno for Instrumental Album of the Year, because he should have.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really really want to be good enough to buy this game, but I know it would be a mistake.

It's a shame, cos I love super hard platformers like Celeste, DKTF, platforming bits of Hollow Knight, Super Meat Boy etc. But when it comes to bosses? Naaaah. I'm absolutely terrible.

Slai-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was the GameXplain one. It wasn't bad or anything, but I'm mostly interested in the load times after you die, since I am terrible at the game and will do a lot of that. I'm glad to hear it's not an issue.

Do you known if there is a new video showing the loading times? Guess I saw an old video too, the loading times where... Not that great.

Didn't find a video with much comparison, but don't worry the loading occurs only in your first time entering a level(9 seconds), after you die it is an instant jump.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really really want to be good enough to buy this game, but I know it would be a mistake.

It's a shame, cos I love super hard platformers like Celeste, DKTF, platforming bits of Hollow Knight, Super Meat Boy etc. But when it comes to bosses? Naaaah. I'm absolutely terrible.

I think you might be surprised. I'm usually in the same boat as you. I remember getting absolutely destroyed by the bosses in SMB; but otherwise loving the game. I'm really enjoying Cuphead so far - it's hard but not insurmountably difficult.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Cuphead for sure. Tough but fair. Lots of hours of gameplay. Incredible art (like GOAT discussion art design, it's that good). A soundtrack that sells on vinyl it's so fantastic.

Teeth any estimate on physical release?