• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The charge shot won't change. People screamed bloody murder when we tuned it into line with the other weapons and it's not like Cuphead is a competitive game. It's there for people who need it and it's sub-optimal for speed running, so it's fine.

Hey, that's fine with me! I think it's a great weapon as-is.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the parry mechanic in this game. It reminds me a little of bouncing off enemies' heads in DKCR/TF, in that I always feel like you have to initiate a parry a little earlier than what makes sense.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got pacifist on all the run and gun levels.
I don't think I've ever been so angry and violent because of a videogame ever. Lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through this game at the moment. Made it to the third world. This game is much harder than I expected. That dragon was making me very angry...

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
The devil is kicking my ass. Its one of my least favourite fights because of those fucking blue flame circles that drop down on the second and third phases that seem almost impossible to dodge. He can stick his trident up his hairy arse.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm a bit curious, what was Cuphead's reception in Japan once it hit the Switch? Did it review/sell well?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The charge shot won't change. People screamed bloody murder when we tuned it into line with the other weapons and it's not like Cuphead is a competitive game. It's there for people who need it and it's sub-optimal for speed running, so it's fine.

Cool avatar, Teeth. Maybe something we'll see in the DLC?

Oct 25, 2017
México
Finally got an S-Rank in every level and got all achievements. I purchased the game on the Xbox on release date, and I wasn't able to get S-Ranks in most of the levels that time, but on Switch it was kinda easier (well, not easier... more like less difficult).

I think it was because I played the game entirely on portable mode and I could focus more on the screen? Anyway... Glad I completed the game and ready for the DLC.

K9nK6mQl.jpg

vtX6nTIl.jpg

KLN9cwnl.jpg

ALpJBJIl.jpg

And here are all the achievements. I hope I could unlock those achievements on the Xbox somehow in the future (by linking my Gamertag to my Switch or something).

cn0otONl.jpg

And Teeth... As a native Spanish speaker (Latin America), I want to tell you guys that the translation was top notch. It perfectly captures the same tone as the original English language.

It was an excellent idea to have both Latin America and European Spanish translations.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
An S-rank in every level! And I was almost screaming when I beat that blue blob on the first island last night, C-rank!

Game is awesome though, I just need to play it more but MK11 is in the way.

Oct 25, 2017
México
An S-rank in every level! And I was almost screaming when I beat that blue blob on the first island last night, C-rank!

Game is awesome though, I just need to play it more but MK11 is in the way.
It's pattern memorization. You just need to focus on a single level and try and try again. Restart the level immediately after getting hit. I also use the Heart charm for the bosses where I didn't need the Smoke Bomb charm.

The most difficult levels for me were the plane ones, definitely.

And my favorite weapon is definitely 100% the Roundabout. Fuck the Charge Shot. Roundabout is the real deal.

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
And Teeth... As a native Spanish speaker (Latin America), I want to tell you guys that the translation was top notch. It perfectly captures the same tone as the original English language.

It was an excellent idea to have both Latin America and European Spanish translations.

This is great to hear. There's basically no way for us to know whether the localization is as good as they can be, so we just had to trust our localizers and testers. It's good to know at least the Latin American localization is good!

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
JoJo Beppi? That would be pretty against style!

Hehe. Shows how much I know. I saw the Japanese writing, and thought I was on to something. Cuphead World Travelers would be cool as hell though. Japan, Thailand, Russia, France, Australia, Canada, India etc.. So many potentially cool boss fights based on world locations. Man, I wish Cuphead would update annually.

Have I told you how much I adore your game?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
It's pattern memorization. You just need to focus on a single level and try and try again. Restart the level immediately after getting hit. I also use the Heart charm for the bosses where I didn't need the Smoke Bomb charm.

The most difficult levels for me were the plane ones, definitely.

And my favorite weapon is definitely 100% the Roundabout. Fuck the Charge Shot. Roundabout is the real deal.

Roundabout is fun, it takes true skill to maximize damage on the EX shot, by crossing up the boss like it's Marvel vs Capcom, so satisfying!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got an S-Rank in every level and got all achievements. I purchased the game on the Xbox on release date, and I wasn't able to get S-Ranks in most of the levels that time, but on Switch it was kinda easier (well, not easier... more like less difficult).

I think it was because I played the game entirely on portable mode and I could focus more on the screen? Anyway... Glad I completed the game and ready for the DLC.

K9nK6mQl.jpg

vtX6nTIl.jpg

KLN9cwnl.jpg

ALpJBJIl.jpg

And here are all the achievements. I hope I could unlock those achievements on the Xbox somehow in the future (by linking my Gamertag to my Switch or something).

cn0otONl.jpg

What a monster! I hope to finish on Expert, I don't have it what it takes to S-rank everything! What's your play time?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
So you know how we used to say 'Wow, that 16 bit game looks so good, it looks like a cartoon!'.

Well I was thinking, obviously this IS a cartoon right? It's the HEIGHT of the craft. This is the pinnacle of making a game that looks like a cartoon! 20 years from now, you can go back to this game and say 'wow this game looks fantastic'. If someone were to attempt to make Cuphead decades from now, they would have trouble making it any better than it is now.

That's awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Devil. Teeth thank you and your entire team for creating one of my favorite games in I don't know how long. I'm sure I'll be cursing your names as I try to unlock everything else but man, what a ride. I adore this game.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just finished the Devil. Teeth thank you and your entire team for creating one of my favorite games in I don't know how long. I'm sure I'll be cursing your names as I try to unlock everything else but man, what a ride. I adore this game.
You know what little thing made me enjoy the game even more? Knowing that our very own Teeth is the voice that says "Knockout!" after defeating a boss.

Oct 28, 2017
So I still haven't beaten the game yet but I'm gonna give my overall thoughts on it. I think the game is......just too damn hard for my liking. I feel like it's just not satisfying when I beat a challenge. Why? Because I know there's no relief in it. I just know there's going to be absolutely no breathing room and the very next level will kick my ass.

There's no reasonable difficulty in between the hard fights. It's just super hard fight followed by super hard fight followed by super hard fight followed by super hard fight. No room to breathe whatsoever. It just leaves me feeling so drained all the time so I don't feel a sense of satisfaction or even feel like I'm getting any better at the game.

But mechanically the game is very strong. Controls well, looks absolutely gorgeous and sounds brilliant. So much personality. I mean I do think the gameplay is very good. I just wish the difficulty wasn't at 11 all the time. Have 11 difficulty fights, sure. But have some simpler ones in between to give the player breathing room.

I need to go play Sonic or something so my heart rate can go down.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
México
So I still haven't beaten the game yet but I'm gonna give my overall thoughts on it. I think the game is......just too damn hard for my liking. I feel like it's just not satisfying when I beat a challenge. Why? Because I know there's no relief in it. I just know there's going to be absolutely no breathing room and the very next level will kick my ass.

There's no reasonable difficulty in between the hard fights. It's just super hard fight followed by super hard fight followed by super hard fight followed by super hard fight. No room to breathe whatsoever. It just leaves me feeling so drained all the time so I don't feel a sense of satisfaction or even feel like I'm getting any better at the game.

But mechanically the game is very strong. Controls well, looks absolutely gorgeous and sounds brilliant. So much personality. I mean I do think the gameplay is very good. I just wish the difficulty wasn't at 11 all the time. Have 11 difficulty fights, sure. But have some simpler ones in between to give the player breathing room.

22893.jpg

I Wanna Be The Guy

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

I agree. There's no dramatic arc, just full climax all the time, makes for an unsatisfying ending. I appreciate the great art though, and ultimately you do get through the levels.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I thought one of the criteria for getting an S was doing the battle in under 2 minutes, but 2:04 did the job too for Hilda. Is time not a factor? I'm pretty sure it is...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Okay so does anybody else get a smug little rise out of people describing a boss that they're stuck on that you've already beaten?

I took down Grim Matchstick and the Cuckoo the other day, now reached Inkwell Isle 3. Still continues to be an amazing game, just wish I had time to play more!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm still struggling with it half way through the game. I wonder what a better way of doing it would be without over complications the controls.

The best tip I can give is to initiate a parry earlier than you think. The parry frames are active for about 1/3 of a second, so don't try to hit the parry the EXACT frame you come into contact with the pink thing, do it slightly before you come into contact.

You can actually see how long the parry window is open. When you hit jump the second time in the air, you'll see a slight pink strip go around Cuphead. Find an open spot in a level and just watch how much travel you have in the air after initiating a parry and you'll see that it's pretty lenient.

So yeah, try parrying slightly earlier than you think.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Think I may need to shelve this game. I can't pass the dragon or cuckoo clock. I get to the last phase for both but can't pass them. I can only die so many times without getting frustrated to the point of not having any fun. And if I'm not having fun than it defeats the purpose of playing.